closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Full Set what does it mean ?

Journeyman

Full Set what does it mean ?

Hello sorry if this is a stupid watch newbie Question but whilst i have been looking at watches for sale some of them have been described as a full set what does this mean ??

Banned
    It has its box,hang tags and papers that it came with 😊

Journeyman
    Ah Right that makes sense now

So should a watch that has non or only part of the ( Full Set ) Be cheaper or Even Avoided ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mashed104 View Post
    Ah Right that makes sense now

So should a watch that has non or only part of the ( Full Set ) Be cheaper or Even Avoided ?
    It should be cheaper, how much will depend on the watch.

Master
    Should be cheaper although depends on what is missing and what brand.
    For example a newish Rolex without a box or warranty card would take a significant hit, whereas not having the hang tags would not have such an impact on the price
    Last edited by mtagrant; 24th December 2013 at 20:05. Reason: Fat fingers and bad autocorrect

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the watch.
    Some watches benefit hugely from being full set. with others it makes little difference. It always makes some difference.

Journeyman
    Ok guys thanks for the Info prob of been something i would of overlooked when buying been new to it all there,s a lot to learn in this watch liking lark ....

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    It depends on the watch.
    Some watches benefit hugely from being full set. with others it makes little difference. It always makes some difference.
    Agreed - but remember you wear the watch not the box or papers - depends a lot on the age and maker too

Grand Master
    Buying "full set" is good if you ever consider selling,but if your never ever ever going to sell then it makes absolutely no difference tbh,and if that were to be the situation then for what can sometimes be a reasonable amount depending on the brand just to have a "full set" then there would be no point paying for a " full set" only for it to gather dust in a cupboard!!.

Master
    If you are looking to keep the watch, then a full set is a nice thing to have - this is generally more than just box and papers and depending on brand will have all sorts of goodies that were originally sold with the watch.

When you decide to sell the watch you were definitely going to keep........, any premium paid for the "full set" is likely to be recovered

if its a watch bought for everyday wear, full set or b&p are less important - I would guess a quarter of my watches are b&p and less actual real full sets. Those that are full sets have the bits and pieces stored away and these documents and trinkets never see the light of day, even though the watch is regularly worn.

A good way to experience watches at a "reduced" price (comparatively) is to buy from reputable dealers or known TZ members without b&p or full set bits and bobs - that's how I got into Rolex in the first place, although I did eventually become and remain a major sucker for all the bells and whistles.
    Last edited by Bluetinfloor; 24th December 2013 at 20:55.

Master
    Most of the old stuff won't have box and papers, but a newer high end piece without any paperwork could imply it's pinched/not legit. I say could imply as there will be plenty of cases where someone's just not bothered to keep the bits or they've been lost. As a result, the value is affected (in addition to some collectors being OCD about having everything).

As with any purchase though, buy the seller.