closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie - new project suggestion

Eddie - new project suggestion

Eddie,

this is one of the best looking watches ever - any chance of an homage under the Precista brand? With the aged lume, obviously...

Cheers,
    Steve

Banned
    Blog Entries
    PRS 5, beefed up on its left , and given a timing bezel.

WOW!

I almost feel bad getting involved in this, having screamed and achieved so much about a GMT Precista. But, something like this would be stunning. In a hard damasco non scratch thingy metal maybe?

Journeyman
    +1, love it. especially with the hand wound ST19 and domed sapphire crystal that looks like the domed acrylic!

+1 although I would prefer it have an acrylic crystal and a Poljot 3133 (surely there must be some floating around out there).

+1 from me also. I am eternally sad that I missed (completely!) the Kemner homage, and would appreciate something of a higher quality than the Ray Wong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean in Canuckistan View Post
    +1 from me also. I am eternally sad that I missed (completely!) the Kemner homage, and would appreciate something of a higher quality than the Ray Wong.

My feelings exactly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do a homage to the universal space compax and I'll preorder one right now lol ;)

+1 either one for me please

Quote Originally Posted by Dentsmithy View Post
    +1 either one for me please
    Me too - plus one of the 60's Tri-Compax.....

There are slight variations of the original.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

After the Navy Diver, I'm finding I like this overall style a lot, and combining that look and the works of the 5 sounds like a fantastic idea.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    I'm willing to bet (or, indeed, put money where my mouth is) that you'd come closer to the mark, in a more satisfying way than others.

If this was ever to become a project, I wouldn't use the Seagull movement. Something like this needs to be special and I have an opportunity to get hold of 100 pieces of the Valjoux 92 which has the swivel pinion after Edouard Heuer's patent from 1886. It was used in this watch:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Fabulous looking watch

It gets better

Any chrono project would be interesting - 92 project would be very interesting indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean in Canuckistan View Post
    Roland Kemmner still has a couple, or at least he did last month. I just bought one new from him....

Even more awesome

If this was ever to become a project, I wouldn't use the Seagull movement. Something like this needs to be special and I have an opportunity to get hold of 100 pieces of the Valjoux 92 which has the swivel pinion after Edouard Heuer's patent from 1886. It was used in this watch:

Eddie

For me, the Kemmner watch on the right carries it - the red logo and the weight of the font on the indices is much more satisfying. closer to the original.

If it were built using the Valjoux movement, PRS-82 type aged lume and Jon's "hard damasco non scratch thingy metal " this would be a beeyatch.

Cheers,
    Steve

Eddie

Craftsman
    +1 to this thread.

Eddie
    Count me in on this one, Eddie.

The original Heuers had Valjoux cal 230 flyback chronograph movements in them. I don't know the Valjoux 92 -- is it a flyback?

With respect to the dial, the one in your picture has been redialed for the Bundeswehr (probably by Sinn) at some point, but is still just as legitimate as the more desireable 3H dials. All told, there were probably close to two-dozen dial variations of this watch. Maybe more.

I wear mine a lot, and would love a Timefactors issue of this classic.

Myron

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve264 View Post
    For me, the Kemmner watch on the right carries it - the red logo and the weight of the font on the indices is much more satisfying. closer to the original.

If it were built using the Valjoux movement, PRS-82 type aged lume and Jon's "hard damasco non scratch thingy metal " this would be a beeyatch.

Cheers,
    Steve
    I agree about the Kemmner & all the rest Except, maybe, the 'aged' lume. Does faux aged lume age?

If this was ever to become a project, I wouldn't use the Seagull movement. Something like this needs to be special and I have an opportunity to get hold of 100 pieces of the Valjoux 92 which has the swivel pinion after Edouard Heuer's patent from 1886.

Eddie
    Even better!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    I agree about the Kemmner & all the rest Except, maybe, the 'aged' lume. Does faux aged lume age?
    You don't need to care

Apprentice
    I expect I'd try to grab one, particularly if it had regular non-aged lume. I have to admin that I'm not sold on aged lume in general either, but to me these are still such modern looking pieces that casting them into a vintage mold would seem unnecessary.

Master
    Is the Smiths 'Pendine' still a possibility?
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=pendine

Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    Is the Smiths 'Pendine' still a possibility?
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=pendine
    Oh aye.

Eddie

Master

Eddie

Eddie

Eddie,
    Like OP Steve and others have weighed in above, I like Roland Kemmners take on these a lot, and since he's already made some of them, maybe a Timefactors issue version could be ready to go in record time with less set up involved for both you and RK.

BTW, I think the hands of that particular Kemmner model must be the ones RK sent to ChronoCop for his, I think, very nice modification of one of your Precista PRS-5s > http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ication-can-do

Though I'm not personally familiar with it, I think the Valjoux 92 movement you mention sounds like a great idea also.

The one thing I can think of at the moment that might be an issue for some with these older Heure/Sinn military chronos is their non-ratcheting original friction type bezel as, when they're not very tight, I don't like them much myself. Tight and resistant to inadvertant turning, I'm O.K. with them, but I think others might prefer an upgrade to the ratcheting type. I don't think anybody else has mentioned that as a particular problem as yet, though, so maybe it's not
    Last edited by Rollon; 20th December 2013 at 10:20.

Coincidentally I just bought a Kemmner Bund a couple weeks ago... Pretty happy with it so far. But I'd be very interested to see Eddie's take on this style too...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post
    Coincidentally I just bought a Kemmner Bund a couple weeks ago... Pretty happy with it so far. But I'd be very interested to see Eddie's take on this style too...

That looks great, OR. Could you please say whether this Kemmner model has a military specification type "armoured" steel tension ring secured acrylic crystal or something else? Could you also please give your thoughts on the rotating bezel? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    That looks great, OR. Could you please say whether this Kemmner model has a military specification type "armoured" steel tension ring secured acrylic crystal or something else? Could you also please give your thoughts on the rotating bezel? Thanks
    Regarding the crystal it's acrylic but I have no idea how to tell about the type tension ring - sorry!
    The rotating bezel is of a friction type, not a "clicking" type.
    Let me know if you want to know anything else...

Surprised there's interest in *another* one of these, to be honest. This would be, what, the fourth homage to the BUND (if you count the Sinn version, which may or may not be fair)?

I don't suppose there's any possibility of an original Smiths chronograph with that movement? Perhaps a "panda", two register, semi-dress watch, using some of the Smiths pocket watch / stopwatch cues? Something that Smiths might have produced if the quartz crisis hadn't sent them scuttling to Switzerland in search of cheap pin-pallets?

Journeyman
    Depending on the price point, I would certainly be in for one of these. I have been lusting after a bund, or a 3 register version like a Sinn 103 or a O&W Mirage III for some time. A Sinn and the real thing are a little out of my reach, and the O&W are pretty scarce at this point (and the Kemmner seems to be headed that way as well).

Before we all get swept away on a wave of nostalgia, let me just tell you that the cost price of the Valjoux 92 is 900€ per movement.

Eddie

That's a lot of money.

Re the aged lume thing: how about ever-so-slightly aged lume ("lightly aged") - less than the '82 but enough to take the edge off the starkness of new lume?

That UG f.e. is awesome but 900quids for the movement alone might be tricky.

Craftsman
    I´ve been for a long time a fan of mechanical watches, but lately I have grown a bit tired of the quirks - and expense - associated with such type of movements. After aquiring a PRS18Q I rediscovered the joys of quartz, now for me the smart move for those people already with enough problems to deal with. ;)
    Could it be possible to have that very elegant design fitted with a good, dependable quartz movement?
    That design and a PRS14 with a Rhonda Li!

BTW, what quartz movement does Hamilton uses in this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luso; 20th December 2013 at 22:30.

Craftsman
    Next project?

Speedmaster Pro homage

Blog Entries
    Before we all get swept away on a wave of nostalgia, let me just tell you that the cost price of the Valjoux 92 is 900€ per movement.

Eddie
    Ouch! Do it in quartz. ;-)

well if we are talking suggestions, I am all for the original 1927 Rolex Oyster worn by Mercede Gleitze on her Channel swim being reborn... The Smiths MG27

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ouch! Do it in quartz. ;-)
    +1 for this! Would be great!

Craftsman
    Actually been thinking a bit more about this - if it was going to happen and be mechanical, I'd still be in! Better start saving......

Proper watch, proper movement, proper price. Still think it's a worthwhile project. I'm sure you can come up with some killer features to differentiate the Precista version.

Cheers,
    Steve

Eddie

Craftsman
    As a newbie can I ask - what is the "hit rate" of proposed suggestions such as this? Is this ever likely to become a reality, or are there many more suggestions than actual conversions into projects?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by humphriespaul View Post
    As a newbie can I ask - what is the "hit rate" of proposed suggestions such as this?
    The hit rate is nigh on 100% although you might be waiting an awful longtime. ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    The hit rate is nigh on 100% although you might be waiting an awful longtime. ;-)
    Im guessing a couple of years?

Master
    As a newbie can I ask - what is the "hit rate" of proposed suggestions such as this? Is this ever likely to become a reality, or are there many more suggestions than actual conversions into projects?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Im guessing a couple of years?

I would never ever try to speak for Eddie, but I'm under the impression that I'm going to be playing baseball or cricket on Mars before some (perhaps even including some or all of my own [PERISH THE THOUGHT]) suggestions come to fruition, and probably rightly so.

Just on the business side of things alone, I would think any suggestion would have to be evaluated by somebody in business for its being good, viable, doable, and of great interest to as well as saleable to Timefactor's somewhat WIS specialized market. Otherwise it's a project only Government would likely consider appropriate to undertake, I would think.

There was a British(?) movie with Michael York, Jenny Agutter, and Farrah Faucett called "Logun's Run" if anybody else remembers it, and I'd guess a suggestion's chances are better than somebody over 30 trying for "renewal" in that future world, but 100% I would think way long optimistic (otherwise Timefactors would most likely have a catalog full of everbody's first Timex and a bunch of really weird grails with one or two buyers each as Eddie filed for bankruptsy)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    There was a British(?) movie with Michael York, Jenny Agutter, and Farrah Faucett called "Logun's Run" if anybody else remembers it
    That is not what you'd call a forgettable movie. ;-) Jenny Agutter in that outfit... <sigh>

Master
    ^ Yep. Farrah Fawcett wasn't all that bad either

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    That is not what you'd call a forgettable movie. ;-) Jenny Agutter in that outfit... <sigh>
    And Jenny Agutter out of that outfit? My memories are of being about 13-14 years old and catching it on HBO at a friend's house. When they're in that cavern and have to change into or out of cold weather gear... Wow.