closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerais PAM 512 '1940' Radiomir 42mm

Master
    Blog Entries

Panerais PAM 512 '1940' Radiomir 42mm

I've been waiting for a while to get my hands on one of these and have achieved that today

I am though very undecided if it is too small, in comparison to my regular wrist-wear. It is 42mm as expected and i was anticipating it wearing bigger but that seems not to be the case.

I've snapped some pictures and show them below.

The Oris its pictured with is also 42mm and my default, but irregular 'smart watch' The lugs on the Oris are longer so to my eyes it looks a bit bigger though the less fussy dial of the Panerai is definitely more to my taste.

Shown here next to a regular daily wear piece it is dwarfed, though meets the criteria i set out to achieve, very easily fitting inside a shirt cuff.

It looks better proportioned to me when compared to a 47mm Regular Radiomir

Poorly and loose fitted to my smaller wrist, is it worth 10x the price of the Oris? Even as a die hard Panerai enthusiast, i'm really not sure

Well, I like it & suspect that, after you wear it for a couple of days, it will be just fine on your wrist.
    ______

​Jim.

Poorly and loose fitted to my smaller wrist, is it worth 10x the price of the Oris? Even as a die hard Panerai enthusiast, i'm really not sure

You are a self confessed enthusiast, who will have taken a great deal of time and consideration before making the purchase, this was not bought on a whim - you'll love it by the end of the week!!!

Tim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Two people with more confidence than i have in myself!! I've not committed yet, it is currently 'on approval'

Master
    Very nice - I love the 1940's case and I'm a sucker for a sandwich dial.

I picked up a 338 yesterday with a similar dial layout - I wish my Luminors were dateless, this look is far nicer.

simon

Master
    Very much approve of this Baz. Even more so after trying one on in Dubai.

I fully sympathise with your uncertainty given your more common wrist wear exceeds the the demur 40's case size by some margin.

You will have to hide your 47mm Pammy's for a while Baz.

The 512 will soon grow in size...

Banned
    The 512 is the perect size imo. It may well look small, but you have been wearing clown sized watches for too long and after a short while you will see all the benefits of wearing such a watch.

Grand Master
    Its a good looking watch, Im a little surprised you brought it if you werent 100% but it is a beauty
    RIAC

I think the 512 looks great and is absolutely fine, size-wise
    Out of interest I would like to see one next to a 337.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Its a good looking watch, Im a little surprised you brought it if you werent 100% but it is a beauty

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Two people with more confidence than i have in myself!! I've not committed yet, it is currently 'on approval'

Craftsman
    The 512 is the watch Panerai should have released some time ago. Its got the right dimensions and the Radiomir 1940 case with the bigger lugs looks great.

Master
    My wife has the 512 and I have the 514.

I might wear the 512 for a while - it certainly is a good looking watch with nice proportions.

Well, I would give it a go, if I could get the micro-strap provided around my old, fat, hairy man-wrists.

Master
    Probably not, but if we start thinking like that then we may as well all start wearing a Hamilton or Mido
    I think it looks great with those lugs. I should try one on some time, as I stopped paying attention to Radiomirs after trying on the 47mm which looked daft on me.

Personally I think it's a lovely case. The watch benefits from having the best of both the Radiomir and Luminor. I actually think it looks really quite smart - I'm surprising myself.

Size wise it's clearly going to look small compared with your Rad and Luminor but to me it visually appears chunkier than your Oris.

If it's the size that worries you then, like others here, I do think you'll get accustomed to it. However , if you start considering the price relative to other options then that's a different story...

Good luck, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

I think that looks fantastic! 42mm a few years ago was considered large, I wear a 40mm Damasko on my 7 1/2 inch wrist more than my larger watches and would choose yours over the larger model if I were in the market for one!

I saw both the '1940' Radiomirs in Selfridges at the weekend and they even nicer looking in the flesh.

I know what you mean about the 42mm though, I think it would be a bit too small for me too. Did you not think about the 47mm model?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I saw both the '1940' Radiomirs in Selfridges at the weekend and they even nicer looking in the flesh.

I know what you mean about the 42mm though, I think it would be a bit too small for me too. Did you not think about the 47mm model?
    Oh, I've thought a lot about the bigger 514, but, the date on a historic 1940 case is a bit of a ridiculous feature, a no-no even for me I think.

My AD hasn't received one yet either.

Master
    i think its a beautiful watch, and especially if you were after a dressy watch, it will fit the bill. However as a panerai watch, im not sure it works that well, it seems abit too simple, although I guess that is the beauty of it too. I would be tempted to get it in another metal, like rose gold to add variety-spice to it. Such as the 513 which would not only be the dressier pam, but also of a different colour and material.
    Last edited by kaiserphoenix; 10th December 2013 at 22:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    However as a panerai watch, im not sure it works that well, it seems abit too simple, although I guess that is the beauty of it too.
    I was thinking something similar. The design seems maybe a tad too pedestrian. Radiomirs have their distinctive wire lugs and Radiomirs have their crown guards. This obviously has the beautiful Panerai typography and sandwich dial, but maybe it's not enough for me :)

simon

I've been waiting for a while to get my hands on one of these and have achieved that today

I am though very undecided if it is too small, in comparison to my regular wrist-wear. It is 42mm as expected and i was anticipating it wearing bigger but that seems not to be the case.

I've snapped some pictures and show them below.

The Oris its pictured with is also 42mm and my default, but irregular 'smart watch' The lugs on the Oris are longer so to my eyes it looks a bit bigger though the less fussy dial of the Panerai is definitely more to my taste.

Shown here next to a regular daily wear piece it is dwarfed, though meets the criteria i set out to achieve, very easily fitting inside a shirt cuff.

It looks better proportioned to me when compared to a 47mm Regular Radiomir

It is so nice and desireable. And it's yours.
    Please do not over rationalize. Just wear it and enjoy

Craftsman
    Looks fantastic to me. Haven't had a Panerai for a while, but that really sings to me.

Master
    Love it. PM me if you decide to sell please!

Banned
    It definitely looks perfect on your wrist

I am a big watch fan and recently got a shock when I opened a rxw plasmid milgraph ! It was 40mm but wears bigger - after a day I wondered if it was the start of me wearing smaller watches. To be honest I have not worn much else since. However, yours is an expensive watch and you need to be satisfied with your decision to buy. Wear it with no comparison to other watches and see how it stands up on its own. Good luck ;)

Craftsman
    See you in the 'What are your biggest flipping mistakes' thread
    or the 'watches that grow on you' thread.

It looks great by the way and I like the small seconds.

Looks lovely Baz and bigger than the Oris to my eye. Don't rotate with a 44mm for at least a week to get a true feel of the watch without comparing would be my advice. Enjoy!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    47mm and 514 is where it's at.... (yeah. yeah, I know some LOATHE the date...):

I tried wife's 512 on last night. I had been wearing my 16660 SD all day. And for reference the 512 feels small compared to that. /shrug.

Craftsman
    The 1940 radiomir is for the the best watch in the panearai collection ,now that would be a watch to add to my small collection.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well to draw a line under this, all input and opinions much appreciated, it has gone back to the dealer this morning. I liked it, a lot, but not enough to commit to it. I'll wait for the bigger one to appear on my personal radar or probably sit it out now until SIHH and see what that brings, aside from a long wait for whatever is introduced of course

For those interested, I've heard that the watch gallery in Fulham and Harrods each have a 512 for sale. The watch gallery received theirs on Friday and was apparently still there on Monday.

I have to say, the more I look at this, the more I like it.

Master
    ...sit it out now until SIHH and see what that brings...
    I'm hoping for a 42mm Submersible ideally with the old style polished bezel from a PAM24 :)

simon

I own a 392 Luminor
    512 would be a great complement. Definitely on my wish list :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    I'm hoping for a 42mm Submersible ideally with the old style polished bezel from a PAM24 :)

simon
    haha yeah a 42mm Sub does indeed sound interesting, moreso if it was a Bronzo!!!

Craftsman
    Lovely watch - Panerai my next acquisition. You're right, it's not worth 10x the Oris - but that's only because Oris watches are under valued - and long may they stay that way ;)

Beautiful watch.

I feel they hit the sweet spot with 42mm's ... Is it worth 10x the price? No. Maybe yes. Probably.