closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC G10 - quartz, with date and (ideally) tritrium

CWC G10 - quartz, with date and (ideally) tritrium

Hello all

Mental here at the Vicarage at this time of year so what better way to relax than by googling and oogling watches? (No, don't answer that. Especially you ex-squaddies! Yes, you --- you know who I mean.)

So: any idea where I could get a CWC G10 - quartz with date and (ideally) tritrium?

And what kind of price I should be looking at?

Any known issues with these?

Anyone here got a spare or loose one they'd be willing to move on in time for midnight mass on Christmas Eve?

(It might actually start on time if I use a quartz!)

THANKS

Ollie

CWC G10 - quartz with date: don't think I've seen one of those; let's have a look: search. Looking at this site: link; only the current issue watch fits the bill (without the tritium), all the others with date are mechanical.

My apologies if I'm wrong and I've missed something.

If you can make do without a date, then try the SC: CWC G10 Royal Navy 1989 £85.

One like the second post here would be ideal:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Year-Questions

But I'd be prepared to sacrifice the Tritrium and go for a later model.

Mind you, might as well buy a new one.

Ah, maybe what I want is a Navigator not a G10?

That's the trouble with mil watches - too many subtle but all-important distinctions and variations within a single small set.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Ah, maybe what I want is a Navigator not a G10?...
    I'm learning here too. The CWC GS Navigator and GS 2000 models appear to be similar although the hands differ; neither has a battery hatch. I don't recall seeing one come up on the SC, but wish you luck in finding what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I'm learning here too. The CWC GS Navigator and GS 2000 models appear to be similar although the hands differ; neither has a battery hatch. I don't recall seeing one come up on the SC, but wish you luck in finding what you want.
    Maybe no battery hatch but the QUARTZ on the dial suggests they might use some sort of dry cell!

...the QUARTZ on the dial suggests they might use some sort of dry cell!
    I thought that was what you are after.

It's a difference between the earlier G10 and the modern quartz versions. Perhaps with more modern batteries they expect service personnel to take it to a workshop rather than change their own.

Where are all the army guys you called for...?

...Especially you ex-squaddies! Yes, you --- you know who I mean.)...

Oh, I see - you mean "there's no hatch" not "there's no battery" (ie therefore it's auto or handwind)

So CWC have ditched the hatch and therefore the easy battery change?

Hmm. Seems a shame. Maybe it was a weak point re water ingress? The WR isn't great on these iirc.

Master
    I've a 2010 Navigator - which presumably makes it a GS2000, but it's marked with a Circle (T). I'm about to get a new movement fitted, so not sure whether it would get to you for Christmas Eve by post from Sydney. But I'll be touching down on Christmas Eve myself, so could bring it with me. And that should get it to you for New Year's Eve...

PM me if you'd be interested.

The Navigator was produces with the T designation and battery hatch up to when the GS2000 took over. These have Luminova instead of the tritium and no battery hatch but a snap on back.

These were originally produced for the RAF as the Pulsar G10 had quality issues I e the crystal shattering at altitude.

The 2 types from Silvermans are the standard GS2000 with the standard hands and the other with new type of hands and luminova on the numerals but they are a limited issue for the civvy market.

Hope that helps

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Very helpful.

The Navigators from 1980 are the ones to look out for. You just have to be patient and keep watching E***
    Recently there have been a batch from 1994 for sale and so one of these may pop up again. These are not fatboys though

Journeyman
    I have managed to bag myself a fat, medium and thin 'navigator' all quartz

I have also picked up a mechanical and another medium recently.... its a disease...;)

they are out there if you keep your eyes open...

Jason

Thanks!

Are "Navigators" a G10 with a date? For the RAF?

And are GS2000 a civilian market only Navigator with luminous numerals (i.e. as well as the hands and markers)?

If so, I think Silvermans website has got the descriptions the wrong way round.

And what's the lugs width across the CWC range? 18mm on the G10 and variants and 20mm on the divers? Or 19mm like the old Smiths W10?

And the two date versions of the G10 (i.e. the Navigator and the GS2000) use Ronda movements whereas the non-date classic G10 has an ETA?

Seems a shame one can't have both: date and ETA. Oh well.

I knew this would get confusing.
    Last edited by Rev-O; 9th December 2013 at 17:59.

Master
    Thanks!

Are "Navigators" a G10 with a date? For the RAF?

And are GS2000 a civilian market only Navigator with luminous numerals (i.e. as well as the hands and markers)?

If so, I think Silvermans website has got the descriptions the wrong way round.

And what's the lugs width across the CWC range? 18mm on the G10 and variants and 20mm on the divers? Or 19mm like the old Smiths W10?

And the two date versions of the G10 (i.e. the Navigator and the GS2000) use Ronda movements whereas the non-date classic G10 has an ETA?

Seems a shame one can't have both: date and ETA. Oh well.

I knew this would get confusing.
    G10 or W10 are Army designators; IIRC the RN described them as " Watch, Navigator's". I was issued with a handful as a warship Navigator. Lugs are 19mm but NATO straps are 18mm (so authentically, you show a bit of lug bar) or 20mm - which works fine. The diver has 20mm bars, so 20mm work well too.

The GS2000 (General Service 2000) was, I believe, the 21st Century replacement for the original no-date CWC G10, built down to a price so with a cheaper Ronda movement, rather than the ETA, but with a date. CWC lost the G10 contract sometime in the last few years to Pulsar, but the Pulsar proved unreliable so I think CWC are supplying the GS2000 again. The original quartz Fat Case models from 1980 - 1982 has ESA movements which are no longer available.

CWC has been supplying the Diver models since around 1984 - first in auto, then quartz from 1985, both no-date models. They also supply a day/date quartz SBS Diver model with PVD finish. There was an attempt to replace them with a Citizen diver, but the solar power models didn't like being left in storeroom drawers in the dark, and also proved unreliable.

Ah, thanks John. Very helpful.

Craftsman
    It's not bad with luminova too...

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but is this the newer Navigator with the luminous number and thicker hands or a standard GS2000?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by birdynamnam View Post
    It's not bad with luminova too...

"I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

How much is price for one CWC G10?