closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple are very clever at selling.

Banned

Apple are very clever at selling.

I am well aware I have been sucked into this constant need to buy the latest product.
    how soon we forget that last years ipad was so good we couldn't live without it, yet already we need this years.
    I managed to resist with the phones, but the ipads always get me.
    it didn't seem so obvious when I was younger or did technology just move slower?

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    I am well aware I have been sucked into this constant need to buy the latest product.
    how soon we forget that last years ipad was so good we couldn't live without it, yet already we need this years.
    it didn't seem so obvious when I was younger or did technology just move slower?
    Technology definitely moved slower.

And we were all less gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Technology definitely moved slower.
    I think you're wrong.

The pace at which things moved on were at least as dramatic (I wrote my first professional computer programme on a Commodore PET with 16K - yes "K"") of RAM... with floppy, floppy disks... A year later the things had 128K and 30MB hard disks! That's proportionally at least as fast if not a hell of a lot faster than today.

What changed is that it became more consumer-centric and more marketing led. Back then, no-one except nerds and businesses 'needed' a computer - Now everyone "needs" this year's model...

I've got an iPad2 (and never had an original one), it does me just fine

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Still using an iPad 1 here!
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master
    A friend’s works in a firm that does stuff for Apple. I asked him the other day if he expected his hectic workload to ease off after Christmas. He replied “Not until every person in the world has an iPad. For that is their target”.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was also totally gullible and admit I love Apple products and have gone through so many iPhones, iPads, iPods, MacBooks etc

I have had every Gen of iPhone and iPad EXCEPT this latest offering and I feel strangely satisfied for a change. I just don't see the reason to upgrade my iPhone 5 to a iPhone 5S, played with it in the shop, the finger print sensor was cool etc but not worthy of an upgrade (I know under the hood is more power but the software and apps currently doesn't justify the extra horse power in my opinion)

Apple have cleverly drip fed us things that should have and most likely could have been on these devices a few years back, I now feel that they (and Samsung) have hit a ceiling with regards to features and software, what more can they add which is ground breaking??

I think its time they spent more R&D on battery life. The phones do everything we want now but the things are zapped when moderately using 3G and that is the biggest fail of these smartphones

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    A friend’s works in a firm that does stuff for Apple. I asked him the other day if he expected his hectic workload to ease off after Christmas. He replied “Not until every person in the world has an iPad. For that is their target”.
    so they are the real big brother?

Cameras as well, how soon last years model gets written of.

but as I pointed out before if you got a great picture with it last year you can also this year.
    saying that I want to try the new Nikon DF not so much for new technology except that it is making them lighter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I was also totally gullible and admit I love Apple products and have gone through so many iPhones, iPads, iPods, MacBooks etc

I have had every Gen of iPhone and iPad EXCEPT this latest offering and I feel strangely satisfied for a change. I just don't see the reason to upgrade my iPhone 5 to a iPhone 5S, played with it in the shop, the finger print sensor was cool etc but not worthy of an upgrade (I know under the hood is more power but the software and apps currently doesn't justify the extra horse power in my opinion)

Apple have cleverly drip fed us things that should have and most likely could have been on these devices a few years back, I now feel that they (and Samsung) have hit a ceiling with regards to features and software, what more can they add which is ground breaking??

I think its time they spent more R&D on battery life. The phones do everything we want now but the things are zapped when moderately using 3G and that is the biggest fail of these smartphones
    true and why does reception seem so bad so often, its primarily a phone is it not?

Master

Try Android tablets - you'll be spending less into, and getting more out of your habit. And yes, Apple is a phenomenal marketing company. Respect to them for that but as a technologist the usefulness and reliability of the kit is more important to me than its value as a fashion statement, so I never buy their crap.

Talking of "... the usefulness and reliability of the kit is more important to me than its value as a fashion statement...” : that’s the very reason why I buy Apple products.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Talking of "... the usefulness and reliability of the kit is more important to me than its value as a fashion statement...” : that’s the very reason why I buy Apple products.

R
    Exactly.

And how many 'how do I fix my Apple issue' threads there have been over the years? Way too many to justify your comment.

Craftsman
    I have a Apple 80gb "classic style Ipod,and its the only Apple product I owned,or will ever own.
    Really dont get the hype with the new 6 month upgrades that are so minimal they aren't worth bothering with.

Is the latest phone/pad/laptop etc that much better than the one(s) that were the latest thing 2 years ago? I doubt it.

Itunes is a total pain,and the reason I bought a Cowon.

I am at the age when I dont crave the latest gadget.

"REVEALED: How YOU PAY extra for iPHONES - even if you DON'T HAVE ONE" - all is exposed by Andrew Orlowski in The Register.

The discussion is obviously US centric, but - if true - could well be the case over here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    And how many 'how do I fix my Apple issue' threads there have been over the years? Way too many to justify your comment.
    If you mean my comment then my response is I do not need to justify it at all.

But for the record, IIRC the only reliability issue I’ve had in c.15 years with any of my Apple products was a component failure in a Time Machine - and which Apple handled in a quick and helpful way.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Strange how emotive apple seems to be for some people. When you question a purchase of an iphone you'd think you had insulted their wife (and I bet they'd take that better!)

Great for the brand that they can build that kind of blind loyalty, a customer for life who buys all their products from the same firm must be worth a huge amount.

Banned
    Its not just apple selling us the latest thing non stop.

Craftsman
    Both ios and android have matured enough that for the layman there is no difference.

You can pick either up and put the apps on it to do what you want. Ios is fractionally easier to learn IF you're head isn't programmed to think in a geek style way, and by that the phone is a utility that you interact with other people through, it should be as transparent as it can be.

That was the main difference a year or more ago, and IMO it was a huge difference. Now it's a small difference, not enough to sway anyone away from their chosen platform.

I think the only thing that DOES keep people in the Apple or Android camp is their investment in other compatible hardware and software and education.

I've got an iPhone, iPad, old iPod, the bedside alarm clock music thing works with old iPods, leads, chargers, external USB hdd that pretends to be an iPod and can download from an iPhone / iPad, I've used iTunes for many years and am that used to its foibles I don't even notice them. Nearly all my music is in Apple lossless format.

Changing the phone to an Android phone would be the first step in changing ALL of that.

The only other phone I'll consider is the Windows phone, as I have windows PC, laptops, netbooks, etc, and playing around with one in the shops I really, really liked it.min 6 months or a year I'll probably change the iPhone for a windows phone, and a couple of years after that change the iPad for a Slate.

Had MacBooks for a while, never had problems. Not being computer literate I like Apple because they work and share info in a way so I can manage it with a minimum of effort. I like things stress free and simple, Apple delivers just got my first smartphone a Iphone S and love the way I can steam my music collection, calendars and other info between devices using iCloud. What's not to like?

Exactly, (approximately even) how many have there been?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Just a few years ago I wouldn't have even considered apple products but now I must admit I have been sucked in and changed my phone and laptop. Also have ATV's and the latest iPad air which I never thought I'd even need but now love.

I did however manage to avoid upgrading my iPhone 5 to the 5s this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Exactly, (approximately even) how many have there been?
    A lot more than 'what's wrong with my PC' threads. IIRC. And many many more than one would guess given the slavering 'my Apple is the best thing ever ever invented' fans would have one believe.
    Of the three hardware issues I've had with my PCs over 20 years - one motherboard (returned fixed for free), one hard drive (replaced free) and one graphics card (replaced free with an upgrade).

Strangely I do not consider myself to be an Apple fan yet I own several of their products. I started with an 80Gb ipod after my iRiver failed on me. I replaced an ageing laptop with a Macbook air and it took some time to get used to OSX. It still crashes now and again and I still can't remember where the hash key is etc. yet I have forgiven them for that. It is definitely more reliable than any Windows machine I've owned but I don't think it is worth the money I paid. I do genuinely enjoy using it but it but I don't understand why some people upgrade their Macs as often as their phones or tablets. I will continue to use it until it grinds to a hault. I bought an iphone 4S and and to be honest, I don't know why. iTunes is crap, the battery is woeful, bluetooth performance is terrible, it sounds crap through my car stereo in comparison to a £5 memory stick and IOS is poor in comparison to the latest incarnation of Android. When the iphone 5, iphone 5C and iphone 5S came out I felt no compulsion to upgrade and to be honest, I think I will go back to Android. I recently bought an iPad Air and sure it's great to use but guess what it's biggest negative is? (apart from the cheap button and screen) Yup itunes. I did not realise that in order for me to put movies on the damn thing, I would need to drag along my Mac Air so that I could run itunes. I don't want to buy or rent anything from apple so I'm stuck with this pathetic arrangement. I have found an app that will play my movie files without conversion but I still have to use itunes which is absolutely pathetic. I recently went to London for a weekend and took my nexus tablet along as I can just drag movies on to it. I know a lot of people that own their products. Some are complete techno-simpletons and can do the basics with their ipads etc. but don't really have a clue, others just crave having the latest, most expensive device so that people think they're trendy.

So despite hating apple and itunes, I still own their damn products.

They are indeed very, very clever at selling.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post

I did however manage to avoid upgrading my iPhone 5 to the 5s this time.
    To me this is the easiest upgrade as I've always sold last year's iPhone for at least as much as I paid, but usually with a little extra coin left over. My wife and I have the upgrade eligibility staggered so someone always has the latest and greatest.

Apple are certainly good at selling and marketing, but unless they (and others) come up with some more significant developments, new iThing sales in developed counties will level off and fall. (I think I read somewhere that was already happening with iPads?.) They are selling container ship loads of the things to the emerging markets though, so I doubt they are too concerned.

Thinner/lighter/faster will get me to upgrade, but not every new release. I have both an iPad2 and a 2009 iMac that do everything I want them to - and no intention of replacing my iPhone5 until something significantly better shows up. Which it hasn't yet.

At the risk of joining in the Android/Apple wars, I also have a Google Nexus 7 running Android 4.4 and it is a handy gadget, but nowhere near as slick, polished and functional as an iPad.

Master
    Clever gits - asked my mate what his teenage daughter might like for Christmas - answer, some iTunes vouvhers would be nice - shop, can I have a £10 voucher please? - No minimum value is £15. Robbing gits but genius raising nominal present threshold.

I must say for years I could not see the attraction towards apple but finally tried an ipad and eventually an iPhone. I spent many hours messing around with various roms, rooting android devices and then got an iPhone. Love apple products, they just work and work well. Recently I listened to people saying how good the Motorola Moto G was, off I went to purchase one. It lasted around 2 days. After using my iPhone it just did not cut it any more. I am no way an isheep but feel I have tried the rest and have now moved across to the best. Of course that is just my opinion but it is an opinion that has been gained through experience rather than just following the crowd.
    Last edited by stevecross; 3rd December 2013 at 07:32.

Apple really are an extremely well-marketed company, and there are relatively few such companies in any industry. (There are some parallels with Rolex though).

I think their genuis is that they sell techie products that appeal to non-techie people - at risk of stereotyping, women as well as men. As others have said, they "just work", and are very intuitive. I think any references to problems with Apple stuff is more down to their vast popularity (especially with non-techies), rather than inherent unreliability. I agree that their aftersales service is superb - once you get used to the whole iDude-thing.

The constant upgrade cycle is going to have to slow down IMO - we're not going to need any more screen resolution, cameras are now very useable, and if you don't play games, you don't really need more processing power. Apple have been very clever at "rationing" these improvements over subsequent product updates, just giving the consumer enough to keep the products useable, whilst still actually being behind the cutting edge. This now appears to be levelling-off.

Quote Originally Posted by boddah View Post
    Still using an iPad 1 here!
    Me too. I have noticed lately however, that a number of apps will not run on the last iOS that it will run so it's becoming restricted.

I could also do with a camera for face time or skype so it seems an upgrade may be looming.

Still, 3 years isn't bad and it still foes what it does do perfectly well.

A lot more than 'what's wrong with my PC' threads. IIRC. And many many more than one would guess given the slavering 'my Apple is the best thing ever ever invented' fans would have one believe.
    Of the three hardware issues I've had with my PCs over 20 years - one motherboard (returned fixed for free), one hard drive (replaced free) and one graphics card (replaced free with an upgrade).
    So you don't know?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I have never owned an Apple product but have somehow managed to scrape by.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've ignored all Apple products for the last decade, I've never owned a mac, macbook, ipod, iphone, ipad, etc. Not that I have anything against them personally, I've just always assumed they were overpriced & outclassed by their competition. It never even crossed my mind that an Apple product could produce superior music quality to a sony product. Just as it never crossed my mind that apple phone could be as good as a nokia.

Well I get my first Iphone tomorrow... from work. Let's see how long it is before I get an Ipad... any bets?

Not long.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by damocook View Post
    I've ignored all Apple products for the last decade, I've never owned a mac, macbook, ipod, iphone, ipad, etc. Not that I have anything against them personally, I've just always assumed they were overpriced & outclassed by their competition. It never even crossed my mind that an Apple product could produce superior music quality to a sony product. Just as it never crossed my mind that apple phone could be as good as a nokia.

Well I get my first Iphone tomorrow... from work. Let's see how long it is before I get an Ipad... any bets?
    Very soon
    the thing is they all tie in, so if you buy tomtom [for example] for your phone you can use it on a ipad as well at no more cost.
    that's something I like quite a lot.
    I don't feel the need for every new product, mostly just the lighter products which are then easier for me to hold/use.

I have a old ipod 516 [I think it is] I love it being small light, few controls i just load a random small amount of songs on it and can take it anywhere.

then the best thing I bought in years a older 80gb ipod which has all my music on and now sits on a sony dock in my bedroom [no need for lightweight with this use].
    both from SC I cant see that a more modern setup in this case is needed or would necessarily sound better.

Far from a fanboy, but I only use Mac computers and have for years - writing this on a shiny new MBP that arrived yesterday. Why? Partly because of Mac only software (in my case FCP that I use for work) but mainly because of reliability and longevity. I've just retired my old MacBook after almost 5 years of daily use - and 100% reliable too.

But I don't use a Mac tablet or phone - £150 Nexus tablet and £100 Motorola G that I picked up on here a few days back to replace my 3GS. For work Apple is worth the premium to me, but outside no. And as for upgrading for the sake of it....don't get that at all.

Grand Master
    Technology moved faster. Technological pace is now more about tinkering at the edges and exploiting the explosion in Western and (perhaps even more pernicious) Eastern affluenza to make us believe that without the latest gadgets, each only incrementally and marginally improved over last year's, we are worthless losers.

Had an Apple product, didn't like it, sold it, won't repeat the experience.
    Last edited by andrew; 3rd December 2013 at 12:15.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

That said, if you've got a spare 'last years iPad' going begging, I could do with one... ;)

Master
    Have liked apple products since the first iPod. While I have a lot (mac mini, macbook air, macbook pro, 3 ipods, iphone, 3 ipads, ipad mini in a family of 4, jeez, typed out that looks like I need help :( ), I don't really upgrade religiously.

Still on iPhone 4 and iPad 3 here. It's a conscious effort not to upgrade though. iPad air is definitely tempting, but I think I've over indulged a bit and am just bored of 'more of the same' a little lighter, a little faster etc.

I've used Macintosh computers since 1987 and owned them since 1991 and have to say that I have never had a serious hardware or software problem with any of the ones I've purchased. Then again I've tended to buy the top end of the range rather than the entry level stuff. I've run my business with them and they do the job incredibly well with virtually no drama. My wife's company uses Windows-based machines and they haven't been as lucky sadly.

Anecdotal evidence I guess, but then Glamdring's assertion that there's a vast quantity of topics on this forum about defective Apple product doesn't seem to be entirely scientific either.

I currently use a lovely Macbook Pro which is a very robust and practical device. The only downside would be the lack of out of the box support for dual monitors which is a bit of an omission for something that labels itself 'Pro' but hey, not a massive problem.

I also use an Android phone and tablet and a netbook running Linux Mint. Mint isn't half bad as it goes. Not as slick as OSX but far more intuitive and generally more robust than the Windows 7 Pro my wife uses on her laptop.

I can share info, calendars, notes, contacts and all the things I need it to do between all my devices. I guess we're probably heading towards a future where computing will be largely system agnostic and arguments about whose OS is better will be largely pointless. In fact this is probably already the case for most people.

I'm not particularly interested in being an Apple Fanboy - I think the iPad is nice and wouldn't mind if someone bought me one, but don't see the added value the price would suggest over my Nexus. Similarly, my Galaxy S2 does all I need it to do and when comparing it to my brother's shiny new iPhone I wasn't overcome with a feeling of despair at the perceived inferiority. In fact I didn't get an Apple TV because I didn't like the closed Applecentric nature of it compared to the WDTV Live.

I do love these Apple threads though - if only to see monogroover and glamdring get all hot under the collar at the mere mention of the word "Apple"!

A company being castigated for being extremely successful by producing and marketing product that people want to buy! How dare they! Whatever next?
    Last edited by sweeney; 3rd December 2013 at 12:58. Reason: typos

I like PC's and Macs, but my wife is an Apple Distinguished Educator, on of a very small number in the country, so you can probably guess where her allegiances lie...

So although I have a PC in my den, the rest of the house computing resources are Apple.

However, today Apple have really p***** me off.

I usually charge my iPhone 5 over night, but for various reasons I didn't last night.

No matter, I keep a spare cable in my office at work. I bought it off eBay ten months or so ago, and it has always been fine.

I plug in the phone, and it informs me the cable is not supported. Apparently this is an IOS 7 thing, that non apple cables don't work. It is a cable FFS! Now I can't charge my phone.

I am not happy with Apple this morning.

- - - Updated - - -
    So clever my foot fell off.

Banned
    I finally relented and put ios7 on last night, the constant reminders wore me down.

I found this it may help you

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ios-7-problems/

Problem: Charger or cable won’t work

problems-with-ios-7-charge-cable

Along with the iOS 7 update Apple killed support for many unlicensed, third-party cables and chargers. This results in users getting the pop-up message “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone.” You can dismiss the message and in some cases you might find that the cable works anyway, but it probably won’t. Certified cables have an authenticator chip in them. There is a workaround you can try.

Workaround:
    Plug the charger into the wall or the cable into your computer, and then plug the other end into your iPhone. Dismiss the warning. Unlock your iPhone and dismiss any warning. With the screen on, unplug the cable and then plug it back in again. Dismiss the warning. You should find that it charges now

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...#ixzz2mPdduvRg
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to be an IT Tech before I changed career paths, must have repaired and troubleshooted zillions of windows machines and still occasionally do so as a favour and I now find it difficult to go near them, just so tedious. Mac computers are just so damn simple to use, never bog down, need sod all maintenance and I've never had Malware, Spyware problems or a virus of any kind (these three used to take up all my time back in my old job!) My sister bought a new laptop the other day with Windows 8 - jesus it is shocking and I think I would rather go back to XP if I had to go back

I have used many Apple products (through work) but have never felt compelled to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    Itunes is a total pain if you have a PC.
    There fixed that for you, it works fine under OS X ;)

Steve Jobs actually said "Its like giving someone Iced water to somebody in Hell", if he'd have had his way they would have never produced an iTunes client for Windows, but then they would have sold less iPods.

Craftsman
    Android out sell iOS

Mac owners end up putting windows on.
    Most user buy microsoft office.

The ipad is a nice thing, but the new Samsung also is and not cheap either at £400.

The market for apple computers is 10%. If iTunes did not work on windows they would have very few sales.

I dislike Apple but do own the iPhone 5s and the ipad 3. But it does what it needs to do now.
    Only had the s iPhones, starting from the 3s. Early iPhones were really shit.
    I must say the 5s camera does actually work ok now.

I can see you are a man of conviction and principals.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad View Post
    There fixed that for you, it works fine under OS X ;)

Steve Jobs actually said "Its like giving someone Iced water to somebody in Hell", if he'd have had his way they would have never produced an iTunes client for Windows, but then they would have sold less iPods.
    It might work "fine" but it's still a royal pain in the hoop and one of the worst pieces of software in history. I hate it with a passion. Why the hell should I have to sync a device these days? Utterly pointless and a "fine" example of apple restricting how you use their devices.

I have one very old ipod, second one I have had first was the original one, can't say I dislike them I just don't get it why some people get some obsessed with them.

But there is no doubt that they are very very good at selling, especially with the itunes vouchers.

Went looking for a replacement for SWMBO's Ipad 1, which she complains is too heavy for reading over extended periods.
    The shop had an Ipad 2, Ipad with Retina Display and an Ipad Air all in stock. As far as I can work out, that's three generations co-existing side by side. Not that different from the Ipad 1 and not a lot to choose between them as far as I can tell, so I chose the lightest.