closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 17C 'Mission Timer'?

I think both the yellow and orange of the last two renditions are excellent ... but Eddie does
    not appear to be interested
    ... what do you guys think? Shall we start an order book to see how
    many might be prepared to lay money on the barrel-head ... and perhaps change his mind?

john

PS Or shall we just forget the whole thing? :twisted:
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    I agree the last two renditions are very becoming; attractive-they really suit the watch. Perhaps with the extra indicies between the 12 and the 3 might also be a useful and attractive feature.

It is a natural evolution of the design or this kind of chrono.. It's perhaps down to the timing of it coming out, done.

AP 8)

Master
    I'd be interested in a yellow one :D

Quote Originally Posted by MichaF
    I'd be interested in a yellow one :D
    Seconded

Craftsman
    Orange or yellow...

I love the design

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    What about red and blue swirls?

We can call it the "PRS-Barber Shop Timer"

:shock:

Master
    Now you mention it, tassles...
    :geek:

Misson Timer is a good name
    other names, just out of the interest in the watch:
    Special Operations WWW
    Combined Ops Timer
    Integrated Misson Timer
    blah, blah, blah; some ideas :wink:

Best wishes,
    AP :)

Orance or yellow. The combo looks nice, though it perhaps does not marry so well with the functional aspect of the watch [at low light, and differential visibilty between the constant seconds and the minute counter-that could be frustrating?]

Grand Master
    Just one color for the chrono function, of course. :roll: :lol: :wink:

Let's just wear Eddie down ... I think a watch like this has great potential, and Eddie may see it the same way a bit down the road. :D :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    Perhaps this is the right place to add that the 17-C hasn't been off my wrist in a few days ... the watch and I were off to a slow start for a few weeks, but I am really appreciating the bezel, the no-worries-quartz, and the cool styling. It is my favorite beater watch, even relegating the Zegarek Zubrow (a bit tto expensive for a beater, anyway) to second place. Today, I hesitated between the two, and went for the 17-C. Great summer watch (just light and small enough for that), and no worries. :lol: :wink:

17-C is now on a Waterborne which masks the short lugs somewhat.

Just wish there were indices at 2, 6 and 10, a black datewheel and more differentiation between the indices ... the proposed PRS-EZM (whatever the name, I don't give a hoot) would fit the bill exactly, especially with a versatile 12h bezel. :D
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Mmm. The red / yellow combo doesn't agree with me I have to say. Yellow only looks better to me.

I think the 12 markers could be a little longer perhaps, at least as long as the 3 / 6 /9 marks.

For what it is worth, I still think minute markers on the bezel insert add some functionality and it looks better too IMHO.

It does sound as if there are too many more pressing upcoming projects though!

how about yellow hands,
    red precista lettering?

name? Super Stealth Advanced Combat Mission Timer Limited Edition (1 of 10000) :)

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Lovin' all these designs it's certainly one I'd be interested in.

Hey, what about a funky green rather than yellow or red. That'd make it stand out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Si
    Mmm. The red / yellow combo doesn't agree with me I have to say. Yellow only looks better to me.

I think the 12 markers could be a little longer perhaps, at least as long as the 3 / 6 /9 marks.
    For what it is worth, I still think minute markers on the bezel insert add some functionality and it looks better too IMHO.

It does sound as if there are too many more pressing upcoming projects though!
    Although it might not look it, the markers for 12, 3, 6 & 9 are all drawn to be the same length, to exactly meet the hour hand :wink:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    Although it might not look it, the markers for 12, 3, 6 & 9 are all drawn to be the same length, to exactly meet the hour hand :wink:
    This will impede quick identification of the minute and hour hands, and facilitate confusion between the two. A gap between hour hand and markers is quite useful. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Although it might not look it, the markers for 12, 3, 6 & 9 are all drawn to be the same length, to exactly meet the hour hand
    I think the 12 marker needs to be distinguished more clearly from the other hours. And I'm not sure that it is important that the hour hand meets the markers... in fact I know it is not important. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Si
    I think the 12 marker needs to be distinguished more clearly from the other hours. And I'm not sure that it is important that the hour hand meets the markers... in fact I know it is not important. :D
    Any suggestions?
    It's already virtually double the area of the 3,6,9 markers.
    Tried a very large "V" style as per the PRS 18 but that immediately looked out of scale and killed the "clean" look most seemed to prefer.

:?: :?:

Grand Master
    Any suggestions?
    Tried a very large "V" style as per the PRS 18 but that immediately looked out of scale and killed the "clean" look most seemed to prefer.
    How about the traditional triangle pointing upwards at the 12h-marker which is (apart from the presence of the triangle) identical to the markers at 3, 6 and 9?

(In other words, Mark-11-style.) :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I say keep it the way Peter showed it on his original posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Any suggestions?
    How about the traditional triangle pointing upwards at the 12h-marker which is (apart from the presence of the triangle) identical to the markers at 3, 6 and 9?

(In other words, Mark-11-style.) :wink:
    Sorry, doesn't do anything for me :wink:

Grand Master
    You are right ... I don't like it either, dots or no dots.

Better to stick with the original PloProf-Style of double indices at 12.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Had a bit of time this evening, so thought I'd try and incorporate the more popular ideas into one design.
    i.e.
    Keep the "clean" look of the 17-C
    Clearer markers for the 12 position and the qtrs
    Hour markers to edge of dial

Any Closer?

I wasn't going to participate in this discussion since I really didn't plan on buying any more quartz watches. Changing batteries is so 80's you know. But after seeing the above, I got to say I like it. :thumbright:

It is different enough that I might let one more quartz into the old watch box and the lack of the running seconds means I wouldn't have to see the jumping quartz second hand.

I'd buy one :!: 8)

Master
    I'd buy one :!: 8)

Awww shoot, I was this close to buying a 17-C and now I think I want one of these non-existant versions instead - my brain hurts... :( :lol:

Great work chaps.

Cheers,

Guy :)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkwindmill
    Awww shoot, I was this close to buying a 17-C and now I think I want one of these non-existant versions instead - my brain hurts... :( :lol:

Cheers,

Guy :)
    Get the 17-C !! :D

and if this "Mission Timer" ever materialises, have both :twisted:

Grand Master
    I have the 17-C and will probably sell it when a better version becomes available ... was worth it, though, because I can use it now, and if I hadn't seen how well the movement works, I might not have the courage for such a bold design as the PRS-EZM

(keeping in mind that Eddie hasn't yet said he would do it, mind you :-().
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the 17-C and will probably sell it when a better version becomes available ... was worth it, though, because I can use it now, and if I hadn't seen how well the movement works, I might not have the courage for such a bold design as the PRS-EZM
    My 17C has replaced my 18A as my work watch, as a chrono is very useful. I am very tempted to sell and get the 12hr/black date version but not quite there yet.

If the 17CT became available I'd be tempted but I think it's mising a trick not having the 12hr sub-dial.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    If the 17CT became available I'd be tempted but I think it's mising a trick not having the 12hr sub-dial.
    The 12h bezel will perform the function of the subdial if your timing requirements should exceed 60 minutes. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    The 12h bezel will perform the function of the subdial if your timing requirements should exceed 60 minutes. :)
    But the Tutima it would resemble looks so nice - more so IMO than the Sinn. As a left-hander, the 17CT still appeals.

Craftsman
    I can see why Eddie might not be as enthusiastic as we are about this one. It could cannibalize on the 17C (a watch which he has already redone once and may risk being stuck with the older versions). There might also be a relatively small demand for a Mission Timer type chrono; it usually takes a WIS to get excited by this kind of thing. I know it's very attractive to a niche market (myself included) but perhaps it's not enough to justify making a new version of an existing chrono, the latter with a wider appeal?

Would it perhaps be a solution to base it on another (watch-)case, e.g. the PRS18? That would make it a little less likely to cannibalize sales of the existing 17C.

That said, please make the damn thing, I really want one :twisted:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse
    Would it perhaps be a solution to base it on another (watch-)case, e.g. the PRS18? That would make it a little less likely to cannibalize sales of the existing 17C.
    I am game for a different case. It's the movement and the clarity of the dial design that I am after.

Having said that, I am not sure that the -18 case can be as easily turned. The argument in favor of the -17 was that existing materials, except for the dial and bezel insert, could be used.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Now I"m wanting to see one of these in person. The 17 case looks a bit small in the wrist shots I've seen. I'm not into huge, but I"ve come to appreciate the dial size on my Sinn 142 and how it presents the lemania 5100 layout.

I suppose smaller would be just fine though with the mission timer concept.
    Cheers,
    Bruce

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceS
    It would work if the indices are moved to the edge of the dial, freeing space in the middle which will visually enlarge the watch.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

another idea

can one of you photoshop guys mock one up with a dreadnought dial?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS
    Now I"m wanting to see one of these in person. The 17 case looks a bit small in the wrist shots I've seen. I'm not into huge, but I"ve come to appreciate the dial size on my Sinn 142 and how it presents the lemania 5100 layout.

Cheers,
    Bruce
    I felt the same at first, but getting it on the right strap makes a world of difference. A nice thick leather works well and the Chronisimo with it's wider shoulders makes it look a lot 'beefier'.

Wow, I hadnt seen this thread.... (Ive made a mental note to spend more time on the forums! :D )

Id love a mission timer design in whatever form its appears in. I have discovered im not much of a chrono guy but I do like to time things and so the 1 hour timer works well for me with center secs and mins. Subdials just annoy me for some reason... :(

Id love an EZM1 but doubt i'll get round to buying one... What I would like in this watch is the ability to use the functions with the least amount of fuss on the dial and whats been said so far works for me. I do also need a watch with WR as I will end up using it everyday and it will get wet in the ocean etc.

Id be happy to chuck some money on the table if Eddie wants to limit this one to a small batch and needs to take names etc. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkuere
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Congratulations to winner and thanks to Eddie for doing the draw.

I am going to be awaiting for The Mission Timer version ... 8)

john
    Is that still a possibility?
    Gentlemen!

Perhaps we could negotiate a Mini-LE-series... I still have the address of the dial-maker I contacted last year.

Congrats to the winner!

Cheerio, Frank
    From this thread:

Shall we try again? The discussion arose as well to do a bigger Auto Mission Timer but it looks like the sourcing of the auto-movements is quite difficult?

Apart from that I personally believe that a Quartz fits the requirements if a watch used under tough conditions much better:

It could look like this!!

I contacted a dial-maker from Pforzheim last year and he quoted roughly 80 ? per dial if 20 would be
    ordered - adding up another 20 ? for the installing of it we are still in a proper price range.

So as I really like the Design/Concept of the 17C-MT (:twisted:) would there be the possibility of a small run (20-30) watches?

Eddie, I know there are bigger projects flying around but would this cannibalize a future project of you or
    could we push this a little further?

Cheerio, Frank

( I am currently living 50 km away from Pforzheim if this helps :wink:)

....... The discussion arose as well to do a bigger Auto Mission Timer but it looks like the sourcing of the auto-movements is quite difficult?

:D

john

Master
    I know John, I know....

But this seems veeery far away and the 17-CMT could be managed in much shorter time?

Cheerio, Frank

I know John, I know....

But this seems veeery far away and the 17-CMT could be managed in much shorter time?

Cheerio, Frank
    I think even Eddie was more interested in the larger version.

john

Master
    I know John, I know....

Cheerio, Frank

john
    Ha! We do a list - simple as that :D

Anyway my call again, shouldn't be to difficult to find 10 interested people - something as the BabyDreadnought?

Cheerio Frank

Grand Master
    I know John, I know....

Cheerio, Frank

john
    Ha! We do a list - simple as that :D

Anyway my call again, shouldn't be to difficult to find 10 interested people - something as the BabyDreadnought?

Cheerio Frank
    Put me on the list. No. 48 please ... 8)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I would definitly like one, especially if a larger auto version is made.

If I recall correctly, the problem with an automatic was the only suitable movement we found was the Dubois Depraz module as fitted to the "THAG" and that had two issues. A horrendous cost and a reputation for being difficult to work on for servicing.
    As always with these projects, the cost of the movements is very much influenced by the quantity ordered, so unless Eddie gets to hear of someone who has some "in excess of requirements" - unlikely, it would need to be a largish production run to get the price to a point that made the project workable - and don't forget, in the watch industry movements have to be paid for up front. :evil:

So, if anyone has come across anything else they could suggest, please let us know :wink:

Grand Master
    I would vastly prefer quartz .... seems to fit the mission timer profile better. More accurate, and more replaceable. :)

I wouldn't mind a larger case, longer lugs (better accomodating a Rhino strap), and an easier-to-turn bezel.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

My only possible concern with quartz for this type of watch is that from reading some of the manufacturing specs, it seems they can be quite sensitive to the weight and balance of the centre chrono hands, and so this is very tightly specified.
    So when you put the extra mass of an arrowhead or similar on the end of "Mission Timer" style hands, or even the extra mass from the contrast paint on the tip, it can give problems when knocked or jarred.

Anyone have some quartz movement options that might fit the bill?

Craftsman
    I would vastly prefer quartz .... seems to fit the mission timer profile better. More accurate, and more replaceable. :)

I wouldn't mind a larger case, longer lugs (better accomodating a Rhino strap), and an easier-to-turn bezel.
    Strongly agree re. quartz. It is supposed to be a rugged weatch afterall :)

There is something about the hour and minute hands that look a bit off to me... should they be all white perhaps? I think it'd look better just like it looks better when the dial's hour-markers protrode all the way to the chapter ring instead of stopping at the minute ring on the normal PRS17.

Everybody does a chrono; but not many does a chrono without subdials. Really hoping for this one to come to live since there are very few alternatives out there.

Cheers,
    Mabuse

- adding up another 20 ? for the installing of it we are still in a proper price range.

So as I really like the Design/Concept of the 17C-MT (:twisted:) would there be the possibility of a small run (20-30) watches?

It's slightly more complex than simple installation ... the arbors (axles) of the subdials will have to be removed.

john

I wouldn't buy a lefty, I don't think. I have a couple and they're awkward.