closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 17C 'Mission Timer'?

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I'm surprised with myself in that after looking at the shrouded and open lugs I'm now in the shrouded camp. The head looks far better proportioned and there's a design continuity with the flat profile of the pushers that results in a more coherent look. The bezel overhang with the open lugs just doesn't look right at all and as previously mentioned they result in a budget appearance with the flat profile on the end link on the bracelet.

Yes. +1
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    They must have had a custom date wheel printed but the position on the dial is the same. It's also a larger watch, which is why the date isn't at the edge.

Eddie
    The quartz Revue Thommen is actually a bit smaller - it had 37.5mm case.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    That's a surprise because the movement is 13 1/4 lignes (30mm). If you take into account the movement holder and the thickness of the case, I would have thought it would be larger.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Still listening.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    That's a surprise because the movement is 13 1/4 lignes (30mm). If you take into account the movement holder and the thickness of the case, I would have thought it would be larger.

Eddie
    Well, I measured mine at 37.5mm excluding crown, 40mm incl crown, confirmed by a search online. It's 10.5mm thick IIRC.

Master
    Still listening.

Eddie
    I like countdown bezels, but would find a GMT bezel on a chrono really useful. Any chance of getting the 0-12 bezel insert as an option in the package for fitting later, like the PRS-17C?

Quite a lot going on so was wondering what would happen if the running seconds took a minimalism lecture...

Just messing around. The Precista script isn't my favourite, but I like the way this one is heading a lot.

Still listening.

Eddie
    I am pleased to see you are favouring hooded lugs once more but I much prefer yellow highlights to orange.

Martin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Quite a lot going on so was wondering what would happen if the running seconds took a minimalism lecture...

Just messing around. The Precista script isn't my favourite, but I like the way this one is heading a lot.
    Agreed - I like that first simplified running seconds display, too - a bit like the 24 hr display on a Lemania 5100 dial.

I like the 5-second marker running second dial, but I don't like the dark orange - AT ALL!

Yellow hands are a big part of the 17C design, IMO.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Still tweaking and heading in the right direction
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

yellow hands and blasted not polished crown and I'd buy one today*. Pleased to see the hooded lugs back, I've always worn my old tag F1 chrono on a nato despite the hooded lugs, so there are options beside the bracelet.

The simplified running seconds dial is a good idea too.

*I'd buy one with a polished crown and orange hands anyway.
    Last edited by kace; 14th June 2021 at 14:38.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    I am pleased to see you are favouring hooded lugs once more but I much prefer yellow highlights to orange.

Martin
    I don't care so much about the steel ones but for the PVD one it will have to be orange or red even.

And when all is done and dusted, perhaps even a white dial with red accents and the steel bezel.

I don’t like the minimalist running seconds renders. I could live with the first one but the last 2 deviate too much from the look of the Sinn NaBo clock dial for my liking:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/n...ryday.5183489/

I agree. I’ve got the black dial and the red dial version. My recollection was that they were 38.5 mm diameter, but if you’ve measured yours, 37.5mm it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post

Martin
    I agree regarding the hooded lugs (shrouded case). Integrated square/rectangular chronograph pushers look best with a Tutima NATO style case, which of course has hooded lugs. These features combined with the Sinn NaBo dial and Sinn EZM-1 style countdown bezel in my view add up to something that is more than the sum of its parts, so to speak.

The shrouded case (if not the bezel, dial or pushers) also reminds me a little of the Tutima Pacific Quartz Chronograph:

https://allwatches.org/en/tutima-mil...ograph-p37125/

https://www.righttime.com/rt/pre-owned/759-02ref.htm

This watch features the ETA 251.262 like the PRS-17C. I’ve got one and it’s a good watch. I’ve never understood why Sinn and Tutima didn’t make more use of this movement during years between the demise of the Lemania 5100 and the development of their own Valjoux 7750 based central minutes chronograph calibres. Tutima used the quartz movement in the short-lived Pacific and Field chronographs, but Sinn didn’t use the movement at all. Sinn instead used the Dubois-Depraz 2070 module to piggy back on an ETA 2892 for central minutes chronograph function in the Sinn 142 II if I recall correctly.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    I don’t like the minimalist running seconds renders. I could live with the first one but the last 2 deviate too much from the look of the Sinn NaBo clock dial for my liking:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/n...ryday.5183489/
    Yeah, I don't like the minimal running seconds as well. Would very much prefer the original running seconds render.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-STV View Post
    Yeah, I don't like the minimal running seconds as well. Would very much prefer the original running seconds render.
    +1

This is moving in a great direction.

Looking at the minute hand for me this is a touch too long and could do with being reduced so there is half the minute marker visible to the edge of the dial.

For me there's also something not quite right overall about the hour and minute hands but I can't put my finger on it. It may be the shape/style or the white outline/boarder?

It looks to me like the minute hand is a tad wider than the hour hand, which is not very traditional. Perhaps that's it

I think that may be it, almost as if the widths have been transposed.

My comment about reducing the minute hand length would still apply though.

Apprentice
    Looks pretty good. But certainly hoping Eddie will release both date & non-date option for order and also extra bezel included for GMT or countdown function.

Eddie

17C 'Mission Timer'?

Not sure of the correct term here, but the overhanging bezel (12 & 6) looks great. Putting this on a NATO would look amazing. The crown overhanging the strap helps blend the strap/watch boundary. Seems better than a blunt straight line.
    Last edited by fm.tz; 20th June 2021 at 01:43.

Eddie
    Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s View Post
    Sign me up.
    Orange hands is a killer for me.

They work OK on the PVD one, but it then looks very like a watch I already have.

A 17C should have yellow hands and be stainless.

M

Master
    Looks pretty good. But certainly hoping Eddie will release both date & non-date option for order and also extra bezel included for GMT or countdown function.

Me too!

- - - Updated - - -

Me too!

Apprentice

Eddie
    Still prefer the original running second render. Personally I feel this minimal running second render doesn't quite match and complement the mission timer look.

Still prefer the original running second render. Personally I feel this minimal running second render doesn't quite match and complement the mission timer look.
    +1

I agree.

Me too (running seconds, I prefer the Nabo Design).
    It might help to think of this as the PRS-56, not the PRS-17C.
    This is a new watch, the use of the 17C name was as a reference point (as it used an older generation of the same movement family).
    The dreadnought-bezelled Omega X33-cased version of this project made a first appearance on Page 3 of this thread, so the creep away from the 17c has been happening a while.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Me too (running seconds, I prefer the Nabo Design).
    It might help to think of this as the PRS-56, not the PRS-17C.
    This is a new watch, the use of the 17C name was as a reference point (as it used an older generation of the same movement family).
    The dreadnought-bezelled Omega X33-cased version of this project made a first appearance on Page 3 of this thread, so the creep away from the 17c has been happening a while.
    I agree that this should now be considered a new watch, rather than a Mission Timer version of the PRS-17C.

I always thought of the Merlin version as having a typical SUG case used by e.g. Sinn, rather than the X33. However, having just had another look at the picture of the Merlin and also an X33, I can see that the Merlin’s bezel, lugs and pushers are similar to the Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I find that the "yellow hands" on my current 17c don't make for quick recognition of timing's, Sinn and others have used orange / red which looks altogether more legible, IMHO.
    As an aside can anyone recommend someone to paint the hands of my 17c?
    Guy on here, (Bodo) !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Guy on here, (Bodo) !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Appreciated
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

17C 'Mission Timer'?

Has the thickness of the case been mentioned?
    Please can we have a mechanical movement?
    Last edited by fm.tz; 25th June 2021 at 23:54.

Like the current version (shrouded lugs, simpler running seconds with markers at every five seconds) very much. Like both the orange and yellow, but slight preference for orange given that I already have a 17C. The purpose of a running seconds on a chrono is simply to indicate that the watch is operating, not to time anything. Thus, no need for detailed running seconds. Slightly simpler running seconds also cleans up the dial. Aesthetically, a marker at every five seconds is clean but still useful.

Master
    For what it’s worth:

I much prefer the original running seconds over the 5 sec interval one.

Also 12 hour bezel would be so much more useful IMO.

Orange over yellow but both more than acceptable.

Think I prefer the lugged version over the shrouded, but again I think both work.

Probably in a minority but would love to see this ever so slightly bigger and with a black date at 4.30 or white at 4.

Loving it so far!

This seems to be drifting further and further from the original render and more towards a Sinn homage, which I think is a shame.

I definitely wouldn't buy it with orange hands, but I probably (depending on price) would with yellow.

I guess we all perceive colour differently, but I find the yellow far easier to see than the dark orange in the renders, at least.

To be honest, though, I'd be happy with a 17C! It's a watch I've always liked the look of.

M

There are so few reasonably priced center hands chrono watches, that just that alone makes this an attractive proposition, and I suspect I'll buy whatever is produced.

However, I agree that it's a shame that the more unique design that was pitched earlier has been completely abandoned and the design now looks more derivative than the earlier renders.

Eddie
    yes please , stop feckin' about and start sellin' !

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    There are so few reasonably priced center hands chrono watches, that just that alone makes this an attractive proposition, and I suspect I'll buy whatever is produced.

However, I agree that it's a shame that the more unique design that was pitched earlier has been completely abandoned and the design now looks more derivative than the earlier renders.
    That is an interesting take on things, given that the original 17c is a chronograph design from Tutima, and much more derivative than the current design, which borrows some cues without homaging anyhting so directly.

That is an interesting take on things, given that the original 17c is a chronograph design from Tutima, and much more derivative than the current design, which borrows some cues without homaging anyhting so directly.
    No, i was alluding to the more avant garde renders, with the fixed pass through lugs, and even the bullhead version. Sorry, I may have been unclear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree about the current render being innovative albeit with design cues from the Sinn NaBo aircraft cockpit clock for the dial layout and the Tutima NATO for the case shape and pusher design.

The closest current watches are IMO the Sinn 717 and Paulo Fanton’s A-13 pilot chronograph, neither of which replicates the NaBo dial configuration (possibly military, rather than Sinn’s specification) with a running seconds at 12’O clock. The Sinn uses their own mechanical centre minute chronograph calibre based on the Valjoux 7750, but the running seconds subdial is at 9’O clock. The A-13 uses the same base movement as the Precista Mission Timer (ETA 251.264), but has no running seconds subdial, let alone one at 12’O clock.

Therefore, the current configuration using a quartz ETA 251.264 to model the Sinn NaBo clock dial seems fairly novel to me.

Dave

Indeed (if you look at the bottom of page 8, you'll see it was me that suggested the NaBo configuration). I suggested to Paolo that he adopt this design about 18 months ago, I had no idea Eddie would be so receptive to the idea, I am very excited about this watch.
    D

Master
    I've had, albeit briefly, one of Paolo's A-13A chronos, and very nice it is too. But I think the addition of running seconds, date and lumed bezel makes for a watch that is more practically usable in every respect.

I navigate a racing yacht at weekends, and need to be able to see the current time to the second so that I can prepare for the 5-minute warning signal (5-minutes before the race starts), for the countdown to the start. The combination of running seconds, which my Fortis Lemania 5100 chrono has but the A-13A lacks, and the Quartz 251.264 movement with the ability to reset the chrono to act as a countdown timer, which the A-13A has but the mechanical chrono lacks, will makes this pretty much the perfect sailing watch.

Add a date, a 0-12 (lumed) GMT bezel and decent lume on the hands and dial (the A-13A's lume is not so good) and it will be pretty much the perfect travel watch, too, given the quick-set jumping hour hand. Anyone want a nice, carefully used Y-serial SEL Rolex GMT II? it will be hard to justify keeping it once this watch comes out.

I'm in.
    Last edited by HappyJack; 27th June 2021 at 02:21.

17C 'Mission Timer'?

…I navigate a racing yacht at weekends, and need to be able to see the current time to the second so that….
    Timex Ironman used to do a Countdown/Count-up (to 24hrs) on their watches. Sadly this was removed. Having looked around, this is a very rare option. The best I've been able to find is actually the Gill Race Watch. This has a user-set Countdown (with sync function) and a very long count-up (24 hours, I think).

https://gb.gillmarine.com/race-watch/
    Last edited by fm.tz; 27th June 2021 at 15:41.

Blog Entries
    Again, no date, please no date.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post

This! I've always been enamored with the old mock-up featuring the X-33 case and the. Would love to see a concept of this design as basis for consideration as well.
    I own the original PRS-17C but the sleeker look of the abovementioned mock-up would be a very compelling addition.

Craftsman
    I think it should get back to this.

Quote Originally Posted by David@ View Post
    I think it should get back to this.

If it goes back to that and people want running seconds, it can't be a lefty.

Eddie