closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 17C 'Mission Timer'?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    The thinking man's Speedmaster.

**runs away while the Moonies protest**

Everytime I see this, I want it more and more.

Master
    Exciting to hear that this is finally going to happen - I've had multiple chronos with that movement, which has a lot of advantages, especially the jumping hour hand for travel, and the resettable chrono hands to turn it into a countdown timer.

I really like the idea of the destro version with the running seconds subdial at 12 - I often cut it close to catch my ferry and would like to have the accuracy that comes with that display. Military types sometimes have to co-ordinate to the second, too, so a guesstimate to the nearest 20-30 seconds is less useful.

Would also like to have really good lume. I'm not a fan of the original 17c hand style, but I also didn't like much the short gladus hour hand that my Revue Thommens had, since the over-large counterweight from the chrono hands largely covers it when the hour hand is at 6 - makes it hard to read the time in the early morning. Worth thinking about when planning the hand design.
    Last edited by HappyJack; 1st May 2021 at 18:02.

I must have missed it if it’s already been mentioned, but do we have any idea of the likely cost - before I check my watch fund for tomorrow?

What has gone wrong with the ordering?

The PRS-40 (Nato watch) with the cut-down ETA 251.264 BD would make an interesting "Mission Timer"... Just saying.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The PRS-40 (Nato watch) with the cut-down ETA 251.264 BD would make an interesting "Mission Timer"... Just saying.

Yes, yes, 100% agreed, why didn't I think of that?

Eddie?
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I was proposing using the running seconds sub-dial and with the current pusher/dial configuration, that would put running seconds at 3 and I haven't yet worked out what it would do to the date.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

No bezel then?

The rendering above was not done by me. In the ETA 251.264 BD the running seconds is in the 6 o'clock position so with a bullhead the running seconds will relocate to the 3 o'clock position.

Anyway. This is my proposition. A running seconds dial (even a date) would spoil the balance.
    Last edited by abraxas; 4th May 2021 at 09:51.

Craftsman
    No I think it’s awful ! Sorry.

Craftsman
    The PRS-40 wouldn't be the case of choice for me either.

Me neither.

Sorry, not feeling that in the slightest. No bezel, and my least favourite TF case design.
    Elation (that it is going ahead) to desolation very quickly.
    D

Blog Entries
    I do like it John, but we seem to be in a minority....
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I don’t mind the PRS40 version, but I have to say that I prefer the proposed “Merlin” version.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Definitely Precista for me.

42mm would be a great size for it.
    That size is already covered by the A13. 40mm please.

The PRS40 design is the best yet - by far - love it, most original take I've seen on this concept

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I do like it John, but we seem to be in a minority....
    Give it time. It takes time. Me love long time.

Really hope this is branded as Smiths, sorry I've never liked the look of the Precista logo.

Master
    I love centre minute chronos but in that PRS 40 case, I’m out!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I love centre minute chronos but in that PRS 40 case, I’m out!
    It'll certainly be an unusual design, but not one I've ever found attractive.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Original design for me personally, but great to see this coming to life again.

[Lume tips on the chrono hands...?]

Master
    As an aside Eddie. When Paul Walker repaired my 17C last year when the movement died* he had to source an already opened movement of unknown provenance. If you are ordering movements to be made it may be worth stocking spare movements for 17C and Mission Timer owners.

*The end game of a story that started several years earlier with a cack handed high street jeweller over-tightening a battery strap screw.

Just a thought, if this is made as a destro the chronograph function pushers will be inverted. The bottom pusher will now start and stop the stopwatch and the top button will re-set it. Is this a problem? I've tried it and if you wear the watch on your left wrist, it's really simple to start the stopwatch with the thumb of your right hand.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    It’s no problem at all , same as other destro. In fact it’s better !
    David

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Just a thought, if this is made as a destro the chronograph function pushers will be inverted. The bottom pusher will now start and stop the stopwatch and the top button will re-set it. Is this a problem? I've tried it and if you wear the watch on your left wrist, it's really simple to start the stopwatch with the thumb of your right hand.

Eddie
    So you have a prototype at hand Eddie?

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Is there a decision re case design for this? Chrono pushers being switched would be an improvement in use.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    So you have a prototype at hand Eddie?

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
    No, havewn't even got a design I like yet. Got the first render through but there must have been a misunderstanding because it showed all the sub-dials the movement has.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by David@ View Post
    It’s no problem at all , same as other destro. In fact it’s better !
    David
    +1

+1
    Agreed

Agreed, destro=good (for me at least)

With regard to pushers, it is the same thumb/forefinger combo that presses whether destro or normal, the only difference is that the opposite one does the pressing, and the other the holding of the case.

Still tweaking but getting there.

Eddie

Craftsman
    Looking very nice but I think it’s better without the numbers 3,6,9 ?

how to upload pictures to the internet
    Last edited by David@; 9th June 2021 at 09:22.

I like it better with the numbers

Seems more in keeping with the style of the watch, too, IMHO.

M

Agreed, I would lose the totaliser as well. The dial is quite fussy for a mission timer. Although I am sure you don’t want a EZM1 / Tutima NATO hybrid, which that might resemble.

What totaliser, the sub-dial at 12 is the running seconds (one of the few criticisms levelled at the EZM1 is the lack of one)?
    I like the look of the NaBO clock with the Tutima style case/pushers.
    No, check that, I love it.
    I would buy the PVD one in a heartbeat. Probably another one too.

Couple of comments, if I may.
    There is no lume on the chrono-minute hand at preent, which limits use - can coloured lume be used for the chrono hands?
    The colouring makes the running seconds look like part of the chrono, perhaps that should stay white-handed as it is part of the time display
    Whilst I like the lugless (or shrouded lug if you prefer) case design it makes a watch quite hard to match to straps, lugs are very much more forgiving in that respect. It looks like the pictured straps step out (they are full lug width)
    I personally would prefer to see a slight dome on the crystal to prevent bright single-spot reflections
    Polishing the crown on a blasted case can look a little odd.

Really liking how this is developing, great stuff.
    The longest burn project on the TF books is bursting back into life.

Dave

I think so too. More purposeful that way. The 3,6,9, make it look "too vintagy" (if there is such a word).

Like the look of that, I agree with sweets on the polished crown and pushers, matching the case would be better imo. Also lumed chrono hands would be nice.

Love the case shape and having seen the dial with and without the 3 6 and 9 I think I prefer with.

I'll be buying one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    There is no lume on the chrono-minute hand at preent, which limits use - can coloured lume be used for the chrono hands?
    The colouring makes the running seconds look like part of the chrono, perhaps that should stay white-handed as it is part of the time display
    Whilst I like the lugless (or shrouded lug if you prefer) case design it makes a watch quite hard to match to straps, lugs are very much more forgiving in that respect. It looks like the pictured straps step out (they are full lug width)
    I personally would prefer to see a slight dome on the crystal to prevent bright single-spot reflections

Dave
    I agree with all of the above. For me hooded lugs only really work with a bracelet, visually, so this is a bit limiting. I would be interested to see the dial with the 3,6,9 reduced in size but I think I am in the no number camp.

Will there be a DLC bracelet?

I'm holding out for the PRS-40 mission time as per abraxas's render, I can wait another 10 years 

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I'm holding out for the PRS-40 mission time as per abraxas's render, I can wait another 10 years 
    It might be a bit longer than that. :)

Dave hit a lot of nails on the head there, can only echo.

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    I agree with all of the above. For me hooded lugs only really work with a bracelet, visually, so this is a bit limiting. I would be interested to see the dial with the 3,6,9 reduced in size but I think I am in the no number camp.

Will there be a DLC bracelet?
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    What totaliser, the sub-dial at 12 is the running seconds (one of the few criticisms levelled at the EZM1 is the lack of one)?
    I like the look of the NaBO clock with the Tutima style case/pushers.
    No, check that, I love it.
    I would buy the PVD one in a heartbeat. Probably another one too.

Dave
    The design is progressing well. I’m a big fan of the Tutima NATO case and square integrated pushers, despite the strap changing issues with shrouded lugs. I like both renderings with the numbers on the dial and without.

Presumably the bezel rotates? If so, is it going to be unidirectional or bidirectional? IIRC, the former are generally a requirement for dive watches, but not necessarily for chronographs, unless it’s a dive chronograph.

With regard to the bracelet, I think I prefer the version on the right of the drawing, but both are okay. What would look best of all I think would be a Sinn 142 or Tutima NATO style bracelet with the small squarish metal piece nestled between each of the main H-shaped links in the bracelet. I know Guinand used to sell such bracelets, so they’re available outside of Sinn or Tutima.

Whilst I previously stated that a crown on the left (destro) is good, that comment was made on the assumption that the dial would be devoid of any subdials as is the case with the Sinn EZM-1. I can’t help but wonder if the dial would look more balanced with the running seconds subdial at 6 O’clock as is the case with the Tutima NATO Commando II (ref. 760-42) and the Tutima NATO Commando ZUZ with the TL case and bezel. This would of course result in a non-destro watch with the crown at 3 O’clock, but I think it would look better than the current design.

In essence I think the watch would look better either as a destro with no running seconds subdial or a non-destro with the running seconds subdial at 6 O’clock. That said, I’ll be buying one whatever the configuration.

Forgot to mention that I think that the airplane tip of the central minutes chrono hand would look better if the airplane “wings” were more swept back like they were with the PRS-17C (and also with Sinn and Tutima watches with the Lemania 5100) than the (Omega 1045?) style in the current drawings.

I really like it, the only thing that jars slightly for me is the Precista font. I think something less fancy would work better on that dial.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd agree on previous posts on shrouded lugs / lugless, they can be somewhat limiting, they do work best with bracelets.

How about the short stubby (semi shrouded?) lugs such as the Heuer Audisport

Or just stubby ones like this Carrera

Last edited by Jeremy67; 9th June 2021 at 22:33.

Still tweaking.

Eddie

Master
    Very, very good, but as others have observed, the running seconds should be white.

I have to disagree on shrouded lugs only working with bracelets.

They avoid the unsightly gap between a curved case and a straight-ended leather strap.

Not sure why people would prefer a watch WITH a gap, really...

M