closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hi & Another 'What Watch' (for £2k) Thread

Hi & Another 'What Watch' (for £2k) Thread

Hi,

Long time lurker here (should have registered months ago), got my first and only watch for my 21st from my Dad, worn daily (between services) since then and it's fared relatively well give the abuse it sometimes gets. Sure one of the buttons fell off and cost me £80 once and it's stopped a couple of times but I still love how it looks.

All of which leads me onto the main reason behind my post. My 30th is coming up and I think it about time I got another watch. This time the Mrs. is paying (half) and I'm lumping in the other half. I'm open to suggestions under my £2k budget, second hand isn't a problem (in fact it's more likely to be second hand). To give you an idea, watches I've seen and like the style of include; almost anything Bell & Ross (don't hold it against me), the IWC Portuguese, Rolex Milgauss, Omega Speedmaster, Sinn Pilot. I'm open to all suggestions that will come in on budget brand isn't overly important as long as they know how to put a watch together... Oh yeah, it almost certainly has to be an automatic (even if it is a derivative of the Valjoux 7750 movement).

Anyway, thanks for reading & helping.

P.S. I haven't been registered for 60 days yet, so no teasing me with SC links.

If you like the look of the IWC Portugese, you could probably pick up a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 for around £2k second hand.

And a photo.

Nice, I'm not sure if I want another Tag though... If I didn't already have one, it'd certainly be a contender.

My current favourite is a Tudor Black Bay, go on chrono24 and you can get a new one from Europe for well under £2k

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    And a photo.

Saw one of these In the flesh last week & stunning.

I know I'll be accused of being boring, but at that budget, I'd look no further than a recent Speedmaster Pro.

Downsides? You have to wind it up and it doesn't have a date. Limited WR, so don't take it diving.

Upsides, classic looks will never date, perfect style works in any situation, looks good on the bracelet or leather strap (or even Nylon if you insist!), relatively cheap to maintain. The whole moon thing.

Buy it now and you'll still be wearing it on your 60th.

If you do fancy something other than another chrono, the Black Bay's a good suggestion too, but I'm not convinced it'll still look so good in 30 years time. Tastes change, but the Speedy's been there and done it.

As a left-field choice, Longines Column Wheel chrono looks like great value and is a very stylish watch.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 6th November 2013 at 11:06.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Breitling steelfish, preowned for £1.5K its great value for a whole lot of watch.

Master
    I have the same dilemma and am struggling to decide.

For me this is a lot of money to spend on a watch, so I want to be fairly confident that my final decision is the right one, but until I have the thing on my wrist and have worn it for a few weeks I will probably not know that for sure. I started off wanting a Speedmaster, but my thoughts have strayed to Tudors and Sinns recently. I guess the Speedy would be the ‘safe’ choice, but there are just so many other nice watches out there to try.

Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    My current favourite is a Tudor Black Bay, go on chrono24 and you can get a new one from Europe for well under £2k
    +1 for this or one of the chronos, you can pick the Heritage up for under 2K.

Another vote for the Steelfish, a lot of watch for the money and they don't make them like this any more, you can find a really nice used one for 1.5k as mentioned above

Master
    If you like the IWC Portuguese, then the Stowa 1938 Chrono might be of interest:

http://www.stowa.de/lshop,showrub,13...ograph,,,,.htm

I was in exactly the same boat a while ago. Already had a Speedy and PO so didn't need a chrono or diver and instead went for an Omega Aqua Terra 8500. Only slightly over budget via Chrono24. It's a fantastic watch and is currently running -0.45 secs/day!!
    You can get them in black, grey, silver or blue dial on bracelet or leather strap, 38mm or 41mm. Mine's the silver face as is your Carrera, so maybe black or grey? Try one on at an AD and see what you think? It was a toss-up between it and an IWC Mk XVI but the AT felt 'more substantial' to me and the movement is outstanding

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I have the same dilemma and am struggling to decide.

For me this is a lot of money to spend on a watch, so I want to be fairly confident that my final decision is the right one, but until I have the thing on my wrist and have worn it for a few weeks I will probably not know that for sure. I started off wanting a Speedmaster, but my thoughts have strayed to Tudors and Sinns recently. I guess the Speedy would be the ‘safe’ choice, but there are just so many other nice watches out there to try.
    If this is the case, 2nd hand at the right price is a must so that if you change your mind you won't lose 40% of your money immediately.
    I like the look of that steelfish, but also like the Seawolf which should be possible within your 2k budget - not sure that fits with what you describe below though :)

Journeyman
    I would go with Speedmaster, a timeless classic.
    Could be found within EU LNIB with papers for 2000€, that's like 1700 pounds.
    Or, for a cheaper version, since you've stated that you like the Portuguese, Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro, around 1000 pounds new.
    100m WR, 7750 inside, or in the new versions H21 caliber I think, same as 7750 but with a bigger power reserve.

Thanks for all of the suggestions... At the moment the Speedmaster, Steelfish & Tudor Heritage are right up there.

With regard to Speedmasters, am I going to be looking at something vanilla? How high/old would I have to go to get something a bit more limited/individual?

I'm keeping my options open, when buying second hand one can't be too fussy, although with a Tudor I'd potentially be on budget.

Master

tudor

Got to back the Heritage or Black bay route!! although Tudor Sub and Tudor Chrono can be had under the £2k bracket!!
    Would have to throw in some vintage Heuer but I think £2k would struggle to get a decent Autavia now! :(
    My first £2k plus watch was how I got lost into this unforgiving financial struggle with trying to keep every watch I get!!!
    :-)
    Whatever happens theres a lot out there for £2k so good luck and remember get it wrong and theres always a trade to be had on here!!! :)

Chris

Trading in won't be an option, given the Mrs is contributing... I think I've talked myself into a Speedmaster, I can feel some budget slip coming on here.

Master
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/perrelet...-id2422682.htm – dealer has a good rep and iirc, lists on eBay too, as well as their own site.

https://www.chrono24.com/en/perrelet...-id2303569.htm – if you fancy a change from chronographs, but still want some sort of activity on the dial.