closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Coming to UK

Master

Tudor Coming to UK

Not sure if this is already known or not, so apologies if it's old news, but I was chatting to my preferred Rolex AD today and he has a formal meeting set up with Tudor early next year with a view to becoming a Tudor AD, presumably one of, if not the first in the UK.

It was said in hushed tones and I didn't clarify if it was any sort of secret (!) so I won't specify who it is, though I have mentioned and recommended the AD on here before, so it's probably not hard to work out.

Also, Dan (PDE) - our mutual AD friend said you may be jealous that I got to see his new Pelagos before you did! A very impressive bit of kit - especially the automatically expanding bracelet. And for a titanium piece it's nice and solid / heavy.

Anyway thought it may be of interest to some.

Master
    If it's a secret, it's the worst kept one – Tudor being officially imported into the UK has been known about for a past few months now, and conjectured/rumoured since the summer, at least.

No one told me! Now to work out how to get one of those blue Heritage Chronos...
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Ahh, I suspected it may be old news as I am usually behind the times on these things!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Also, Dan (PDE) - our mutual AD friend said you may be jealous that I got to see his new Pelagos before you did! A very impressive bit of kit - especially the automatically expanding bracelet. And for a titanium piece it's nice and solid / heavy.
    He must be getting forgetful, as he supplied me with a Pelagos last February!
    Not spoke to him for a while, so may have to pay him a visit to see what's new.

Dan

Master
    Thanks for that.

I wasn't aware of it and it's certainly great news to hear.

scooter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDE View Post
    He must be getting forgetful, as he supplied me with a Pelagos last February!
    Not spoke to him for a while, so may have to pay him a visit to see what's new.

Dan
    Well, he is getting on a bit - dodgy hips and all LOL

That is good news;will finally get to try on a Pelagos

Thanks for the info....

I have been wondering when this might happen. I've had an interest in a Black bay for a while so it will be interesting to see what happens to prices if these watches become officially available.
    Last edited by Operation Grandslam; 6th November 2013 at 01:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Operation Grandslam View Post
    I have wondering when this might happen. I have been interested in a Black bay for a while so it will be interesting what happens to prices if these watches become officially available.
    My thoughts precisely.

BTW I've also been told by an AD, in hushed tones, that they are in dialogue with Tudor regards stocking these. Worst kept secret in the watch business it seems.

it will be interesting to see what happens to prices if these watches become officially available.
    Guesses re. this? Wondering whether I should go for a Pelagos sooner than their arrival or wait for them to get here officially?

Master
    Funnily enough I popped into WOS, Perth, Western Australia, yesterday and they are now stocking Tudor and I managed to get a proper look at the Heritage Chrono. It's a fantastic watch and quite a bit cheaper than the UK, which I was surprised about as Perth is invariably, always more. I will have to check out the Pelagos and Black Bay when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Guesses re. this? Wondering whether I should go for a Pelagos sooner than their arrival or wait for them to get here officially?
    I think I might wait for a bit, second hand prices in the UK for the Black bay from dealers seem quite steep, compared to the price they seem to be going for in Europe.

Banned
    I think I might wait for a bit, second hand prices in the UK for the Black bay from dealers seem quite steep, compared to the price they seem to be going for in Europe.

Just buy from europe it's easy, I used chrono24, or ask on here put a WTB out.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oooh - might consider a Pelagos for my 40th in March, then :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Or wait and see what UK prices end up being. I'm not in any hurry and can pick one up next time I am on the continent as I'd like to try it on first.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    What seller did you buy from? Is that for a Pelagos? I'm thinking of getting it from chrono24 too.
    If you could PM me the seller and the price you paid. Thanks.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Or wait and see what UK prices end up being. I'm not in any hurry and can pick one up next time I am on the continent as I'd like to try it on first.

An AD near me (the only Rolex AD in Bournemouth now) quoted £2770 for a Pelagos, and refused point blank to budge on that price. I pointed out that for that I could get a cheap flight to Mallorca and buy one for 2400euro and still be quids in.

I had heard through the manager of my local Goldsmiths branch it was going to happen, and I gather they are the biggest global retailer of Rolex (or customer of Rolex) or some such thing, so one presume they will show up in there sooner or later.
    I also understand that their Watches of Switzerland branch in London is going to be very swanky

Grand Master
    My concern about letting Tudor loose on the UK market again is that the same thing will happen as last time - a handful of enthusiasts chasing the halo models and leave the other 90% of their production unloved and unsold. Since the market has shown no appetite for the wider range (and how many modern Tudors are talked about here that aren't the Black Bay, Pelagos or Heritage Chrono?) and the 0% interest that allegedly killed off the brand last time hasn't changed, I wonder what dynamic has changed.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

tudor

Hi

Does that mean we should hold on to any tudors we own? as prices may go up? i have a stunning tudor oysterdate auto

thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    My concern about letting Tudor loose on the UK market again is that the same thing will happen as last time - a handful of enthusiasts chasing the halo models and leave the other 90% of their production unloved and unsold. Since the market has shown no appetite for the wider range (and how many modern Tudors are talked about here that aren't the Black Bay, Pelagos or Heritage Chrono?) and the 0% interest that allegedly killed off the brand last time hasn't changed, I wonder what dynamic has changed.
    If supply is "managed" initially, then I suspect demand will prove strong over time to allow it to be sold more widely.
    There'll need to be an education of the public as to who/what Tudor are, but all dealers should be prepared to do that as part of making a sale, rather than just being asked if they have Tudor XYZ in stock, and what their best price is.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Funnily enough I popped into WOS, Perth, Western Australia, yesterday and they are now stocking Tudor and I managed to get a proper look at the Heritage Chrono. It's a fantastic watch and quite a bit cheaper than the UK, which I was surprised about as Perth is invariably, always more. I will have to check out the Pelagos and Black Bay when they arrive.
    Hi,

How much was the HC in Perth? I'm flying there from London next month, so be keen to see the price differential!

Master
    ... I wonder what dynamic has changed.
    I can't speak for the UK, but in the USA what has changed is the affordability of Rolex. Ten years ago a middle class guy could pick up a brand new Rolex for around 5% of his pre-tax yearly salary. Today that number is more like 18%. Rolex has slowly marched up from being "expensive but attainable" to "genuinely expensive". That allows Tudor to slot in nicely below Rolex. I don't think it's a coincidence that Tudor is now priced almost exactly at the price point Rolex used to inhabit. Who knows if that's enough for Tudor to succeed, but I suspect that's what Rolex is hoping.

So if Tudor is below Rolex, where is Omega?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel View Post
    If you asked Rolex? Next to Tudor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I can't speak for the UK, but in the USA what has changed is the affordability of Rolex. Ten years ago a middle class guy could pick up a brand new Rolex for around 5% of his pre-tax yearly salary. Today that number is more like 18%. Rolex has slowly marched up from being "expensive but attainable" to "genuinely expensive". That allows Tudor to slot in nicely below Rolex. I don't think it's a coincidence that Tudor is now priced almost exactly at the price point Rolex used to inhabit. Who knows if that's enough for Tudor to succeed, but I suspect that's what Rolex is hoping.
    A very interesting observation.

I also find myself wondering what movements Tudor will use when they can no longer get ETA. Sellita? Or go with a 'cheaper' in house?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 9th November 2013 at 04:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andybourke View Post
    Hi,

How much was the HC in Perth? I'm flying there from London next month, so be keen to see the price differential!
    It is currently $4960, which according to my converter, is about £800 less than the UK full RRP, which sits at £3760, unless of course I have the wrong UK price?

Master
    With a Black Bay on my wish list, I hope this official entry into the UK isn't a way to increase prices vs. the EU.

If I could swing it, I'd pick on up now rather than wait. Impatience always rules common sense :D

I agree with others that the upward march of Rolex (and Omega) has left a gap for the likes of Tudor which simply didn't exist before. I would have thought that Omega will have lost out on quite a lot of sales (in Europe at least) in the last few years - I certainly wouldn't consider a new one now but at least Swatch has the likes of Longines to mop up business from people who are wanting to spend 1-2K. Without Tudor over here Rolex miss out on a lot of potential custom. I tried a black bay last week on Holiday and was really impressed, definitely a decent alternative to the seamaster.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy1911 View Post
    I agree with others that the upward march of Rolex (and Omega) has left a gap for the likes of Tudor which simply didn't exist before.
    Agreed!

I would have thought that Omega will have lost out on quite a lot of sales (in Europe at least) in the last few years......Swatch has the likes of Longines to mop up business from people who are wanting to spend 1-2K.
    I'm sure that's exactly the brand positioning they planned prior to the new Omega Co-Ax movement investment. It looks like it's working nicely because:

Without Tudor over here Rolex miss out on a lot of potential custom.
    Again, agreed!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel View Post
    If you asked Rolex? Next to Tudor.
    If you ask me, showing Rolex how it should be done!

Grand Master
    Without Tudor over here Rolex miss out on a lot of potential custom. I tried a black bay last week on Holiday and was really impressed, definitely a decent alternative to the seamaster.
    There's been a march in price increases from Rolex, and especially Omega which is straying deep into fragrant Chinese Veblen territory (there's that word again :)) which has left some room. But let's not forget that Tudor left the UK only 7 years ago and that is currently the only market in which Tudor is not selling. The lost sales from not being present in the UK are negligible; I'd wager that most of the sales that have taken place, are actually described in detail on here. I mean, who else is going to know about them? Seriously?

Master
    +2

Craftsman
    When i asked about Tudor at the Rolex AD in june this year they had no idea about the brand being reintroduced to the uk market . It makes a lot of sense having
    a brand that's affordable which may lead to future sales of Rolex watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    A very interesting observation.

I also find myself wondering what movements Tudor will use when they can go no longer get ETA. Sellita? Or go with a 'cheaper' in house?
    I think the ideal situation for Tudor would be for them to take over the existing 3135 movement (or some decontented version) when Rolex eventually fits something newer. I'm not sure if it will happen, but if it does Tudor would be an extremely desirable brand IMO.

Grand Master
    I think the ideal situation for Tudor would be for them to take over the existing 3135 movement (or some decontented version) when Rolex eventually fits something newer. I'm not sure if it will happen, but if it does Tudor would be an extremely desirable brand IMO.
    It's been established, though, over on the barren wasteland that is the TAG Heuer 1969 thread that "in-house" matters not a jot! Because it is, in time-honoured fashion, all about the brand.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    No one told me! Now to work out how to get one of those blue Heritage Chronos...
    Me too....just read a review on hodinkee. What a stunning watch.

I might even sell my orange 2500d to get one

There's a lot of relevant observation on this thread, and I too think Rolex has done a great job of opening up a market for Tudor, in terms of value niche underneath their own, as well as differentiation from the parent brand, now that they share no cases whatsoever.

What I hope is that they launch over here properly.

Previously, in many locations they were an "under the counter" range without much (if any) window space, because many ADs thought the similarities detracted from their more expensive Rolex offering. This was, without doubt, a factor in the decision to withdraw from the market.

Now that there is clear water between the two brands, in terms of value and range, perhaps they can enjoy a little more limelight, and be more successful on re-launch.

D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    There's a lot of relevant observation on this thread, and I too think Rolex has done a great job of opening up a market for Tudor, in terms of value niche underneath their own, as well as differentiation from the parent brand, now that they share no cases whatsoever.

What I hope is that they launch over here properly.

Previously, in many locations they were an "under the counter" range without much (if any) window space, because many ADs thought the similarities detracted from their more expensive Rolex offering. This was, without doubt, a factor in the decision to withdraw from the market.

Now that there is clear water between the two brands, in terms of value and range, perhaps they can enjoy a little more limelight, and be more successful on re-launch.

D
    Very well put - couldn't have said it any better myself and I totally agree.
    I too hope they enjoy a following that has been earned by its own merits and not because of its affiliation to the Rolex watch co.

I spoke with Mappin & Webb today in Guernsey and they can get me a Black bay for £1700! Only downside is a 2-12 week wait. I don't think I can resist.

At that price it's got to be done. Can you get me one and send it to the midlands. 👍☺️☺️

Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    I spoke with Mappin & Webb today in Guernsey and they can get me a Black bay for £1700! Only downside is a 2-12 week wait. I don't think I can resist.
    At that price I'm in.

I quite like them because they do not say Rolex on them. To me, wearing a Rolex carries too many connotations, regardless of how good or bad the watch is (doesn't stop me wanting a Sea Dweller though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo View Post
    I quite like them because they do not say Rolex on them. To me, wearing a Rolex carries too many connotations, regardless of how good or bad the watch is (doesn't stop me wanting a Sea Dweller though.)
    I agree on the brand name, Tudor flies under the radar, but I wouldn't buy without an in house movement personally. I like the idea of using an older Rolex movement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    that's a very good price. is that with the leather strap?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I agree on the brand name, Tudor flies under the radar, but I wouldn't buy without an in house movement personally. I like the idea of using an older Rolex movement.
    £ x 2, is the downside to this.

My only comment FWIW is that once Tudor has raided its back catalogue of designs, which is what's spurred this revival of interest in the brand on this forum, what next? When they copied Rolex, the snobs called them poorman's watches. When they did their own new designs (Hydronaut), everyone else bagged on them. Now they're recycling old designs (which is not that imaginative really) everyone seems to like them, but what about 5-10 years' time? A redux'd Tudor Jumbo, which is basically a 38mm Datejust design, won't win many style points. I'm not bagging on Tudor, just testing the hypothesis that they're ready for relaunch in the UK and presumably, plan to stay there.

Master
    £ x 2, is the downside to this.

My only comment FWIW is that once Tudor has raided its back catalogue of designs, which is what's spurred this revival of interest in the brand on this forum, what next? When they copied Rolex, the snobs called them poorman's watches. When they did their own new designs (Hydronaut), everyone else bagged on them. Now they're recycling old designs (which is not that imaginative really) everyone seems to like them, but what about 5-10 years' time? A redux'd Tudor Jumbo, which is basically a 38mm Datejust design, won't win many style points. I'm not bagging on Tudor, just testing the hypothesis that they're ready for relaunch in the UK and presumably, plan to stay there.
    The Pelagos shows that Tudor can take a few styling elements from their past and turn them into a totally new and desirable watch. I think they will be fine.

Incidentally, I called wos in Heathrow airport and the guy said there was "no chance" of Tudor being stocked airport side. Shame, as I was hoping on picking up a black bay even cheaper (how tight am I?!)

Also, iconic watches are doing the black bay at ~£2300. How are mappin and Webb doing it so cheap?!

*reads post again*

Sorry- Guernsey! My bad, carry on..!