closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How old is too old........

I don't care what anyone thinks of my appearance. That's why I look like a twat.

I am 35 and wouldn't wear Superdry these days although I think the quality is OK and some of their shirts are quite low key on the branding front. I prefer stuff without visible logos. I tend to buy most of my stuff from MrPorter.com which has a good range of gear plus an interesting weekly newsletter.

Mostly like APC, Sunspel and J Crew stuff as it is good quality, reasonably priced and not covered in logo's.
    Last edited by JoePattinson; 30th December 2013 at 00:38.

for my £0.02

if I go into a clothing store and I can't tell the difference between who is shopping there & who works there, i'm too old to shop there

re SD, erm I see a lot what look like school age kids wearing it! (& Chavs)

Craftsman

Cool

I would go for that model you pictured in a heartbeat if I needed a leather jacket. Got my fill. Still wear this one I wore in 70s to the chagrin of my wife and four children!

I like to wear quality clothes (along with my quality watch), but some of the modern trendy names aren't particularly good quality (for the price). Without the trendy name, some wouldn't be worth much.

On the subject of Superdry quality... I had one of their Windcheater coats some years ago that was incredibly well made. When it finally started to look shabby I replaced it with a similar SD jacket which was very poorly made, some seams split and the zip was horrid. It was replaced like-for-like but had the same quality concerns. So coats do seem to have dropped in quality IME.

Their T-Shirts and jumpers are still very well constructed though, with a thick-feeling sense of quality about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Only children and imbeciles should wear stuff with the label on the outside.
    Whereas watches with the makers name and copious amounts of superfluous text emblazoned on the dial are not tacky at all I presume?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I'm from Cheltenham and used to work for Superdry, it's not a "fake brand" as someone said earlier, the owner Jules and his 2 business partners James and theo were in Japan and bought the rights to the Superdry logo from asahi beer (check the logo on the bottle) it's Japanese influence and British design, the guys done incredibly well for himself from his days on the market, it was David beckham who made the brand explode when he wore a few tshirts and a brad jacket in his calendar, all the clothes are well made and of good quality, I don't like the majorly branded stuff but they have moved away from that more now, and the owner Jules is a really nice bloke, still works hard has a lot of influence on the designs still! Gotta have respect for someone who's made millions and has designed a brand that's standing the test of time!
    He also rocks a Panerai which is really nice!

I like Superdry, but my problem is that their clothes are designed for spagetti people. Their Large wears like real slim fit by any other brand, but the arms are 10cm too long.

And I am 1.80m, 75kg, no beer belly.

Master
    I still wear their polos and jeans and I've had some really superb shirts from them in the past (puts Boss to shame in my opinion).

However at 40 I felt I was pushing it for the leather jackets. So I abandonned mine in favour for an aero.

Then I found out there was a 6 month waiting list for the aero.

So I had to go and buy another jacket to fill in otherwise I would freeze.

I ended up with a Superdry Peacoat ...can't win

Quote Originally Posted by boddah View Post
    Never even heard of Superdry, guess I'm definitely too old!
    Sounds like a brand of nappy or sanitary pad.

As others have said the stuff with big visible logo's looks bloody stupid on anyone older than about 25. As for the rest, you need to be slim built with long arms for it to fit.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I found their jeans are the best fit I've found for my (skinny) self. Never been a fan of big logos on my clothes though, always feel like I'm a walking advert.

18, 19 at a push

Master
    Try it on. Look in the mirror. Don't look like a tit, and like what you see? Buy it. Stuff everyone else.

After a new coat and I'd seen some of theirs I liked in the past.

Went in today... Rap, too loud, on the speakers... Mmmm don't recall that from earlier visits.

Looked at the coats... Went back outside to check I wasn't in Sports Direct...

No, although I should have known as there was nothing useful in there like sports equipment, walking shoes or those big bags suitable for taking my diving gear to the pool...

I'm too old, but when did Superdry switch to selling stuff for the chav market?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I'm too old, but when did Superdry switch to selling stuff for the chav market?

M
    Always has?

If you're over 40 fashion should not be on your radar. You have surely reached an age where experience and wisdom has determined what style suits you.

You no longer need to chase fashion, you are your own fashion.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Blog Entries
    I stopped wearing the tees several years back when I realised I was one of four people wearing the same Japanese number in the pub!!

I checked their leather jackets recently when back over in Blighty and thought the leather jackets was rather crap quality but then again I guess the price was prob reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Always has?
    I don't think so. A few years ago it was quite stylish and distinctive, but now most of their coats look like those things football coaches wear on the training grounds.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't think so. A few years ago it was quite stylish and distinctive, but now most of their coats look like those things football coaches wear on the training grounds.

M
    I don't know about that, I think I am a little younger than a few people here (37) and my recollection is that it was seen as a bit low end.

Master
    Compared to Barbour or Belstaff or Nike and Adidas?

Don't see a problem wearing it, wear what you like! I'm 37, bought a jacket from Hollister and was berated for getting it, don't care as I like it!

I can only presume that a lot of people on this forum remove all badges from their car and only wear sterile dial watches if they won't wear clothing with the manufacturer clearly showing....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Fat Face is far more age appropriate than Superdry.
    Fat Face are a bit like Gap, the clothes they are selling today are the same as 3 years ago....no product development at all, gone right off them.

Don't wear clothing with writing on the outside unless you're being paid to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    Don't wear clothing with writing on the outside unless you're being paid to do so.
    Do you wear a watch with writing on? How about your car - have you de-badged that too?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post
    Do you wear a watch with writing on? How about your car - have you de-badged that too?
    That would be ridiculous. I just don't feel the need to wear clothing with gibberish or garish brand logos applied on the outer surface. I doubt I'm alone in this view.

Clothing brands and a persons age have little in common. It’s how you look, and how you wear it.

Tony Hawk and Micheal Gove are the same age. They’re not suited to the same wardrobe. I’m guessing even in their 20’s and 30’s Gove, Boris and Rees-Mog wouldn’t look right in urban fashion brands.

Blog Entries
    I'll probably die in my 501's and R.M. Williams, brands mean nothing to me, quality and looks do.

Superdry= made in China, it's just a meaningless name, if you like it, wear it.
    Last edited by Daddelvirks; 5th June 2019 at 16:04.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I think I was around my mid to late twenties when I stopped caring about brand names, and became more concerned with quality and function. For instance, the first north face jacket I bought some time ago was on the recommendation of a mountain guide, and I had to get it shipped from some place in the US as no one sold them in the UK back then. I thought I looked pretty dashing in it as I remember, but I was more concerned with it being watertight and breathable when it mattered than how funky I looked. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sounds like a brand of nappy or sanitary pad.
    This amused me then realised its my post - what an old thread!

Anyone's views changed over the 5 years?

wear what you want , the only thing that changed for me over 40 was that comfort supercedes brand name /colour/style or just about anything else - if its comfortable i'll wear it .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathansiberry View Post
    Just seen this an I am asking myself the same question as my mate runs Urban Surfer and has offered me a free SuperDry bag, however I was wondering what the consensus was on a 35yr old wearing first a backpack and secondly SuperDry clothing

I used to wear SuperDry in my 20's, would it look weird wearing a SuperDry hoodie and a SuperDry bag?

Is an age limit on SuperDry bags / clothing / accessories etc?
    Nice link there in your very first post🙄

It all depends...David Beckham is 44.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Anyone's views changed over the 5 years?
    Yeah, five years ago most of that stuff would have fitted me.

I’m 50 and my eldest son is 18. He and his mates don’t wear superdry at all, haven’t for a couple of years. It’s viewed as very naff and low rent. He wears a lot of Levi’s, Carhartt, Adidas, Nike and Stussy, Barbour and a bit of Supreme but apparently that’s a bit naff now too. Personally at 6’2’’ and 16 stone I could never wear Superdry anyway, it was tiny!
    The truth is we have very similar taste and I wear a lot of clothes he ends up copying and vice versa - within reason as he’s stick thin and I’m not, but I don’t think age comes into it. Good classic workwear/streetwear works well if you just wear it and don’t care what other people think. I have however recently decided hoodies and trainers look a bit stupid on me and have developed a RedWings fetish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you wear speedo budgie-smugglers as well? If so, fill your boots.

There's lots of old blokes in Bournemouth wear Superdry, I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Master
    I'm 61 but still like buying clothes, John Smedley, Private White VC, Loake, Boss, Gant, Vivienne Westwood, Polo Ralph Lauren, Belstaff but mainly Barbour
    SuperDry reminds me of NaffNaff, Segio Tachini, Joe Bloggs and Pump trackie bottoms, garbage in other words.
    Last edited by RD200; 6th June 2019 at 09:15.

I'm nearly 61 and own a super dry white shirt, I really like it it has small collars!

The name of that brand, and it's not having any special quick 'dry' or all weather virtue just tends to put me off the 'brand' and would be a constant reminder I'd have wasted money on what is primarily a marketing fashion confection. But then I loathe clothes shopping and mostly wear what I'm comfortable in. But each to their own.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a couple of fairly discrete T-shirts... I like the heavyweight material and they don't go out of shape when you wash them. Their sizing is beyond ridiculous though... I am a Large (42" chest) everywhere else, but XXL at SuperDry.

I've also got a leather biker style jacket, but the arms are so skinny you'd have to be an extra in Close Encounters of the Third Kind to wear it. That, and I've put on 2 stone since I bought it LOL.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathansiberry View Post
    Just seen this an I am asking myself the same question as my mate runs Urban Surfer and has offered me a free SuperDry bag, however I was wondering what the consensus was on a 35yr old wearing first a backpack and secondly SuperDry clothing

I used to wear SuperDry in my 20's, would it look weird wearing a SuperDry hoodie and a SuperDry bag?

Is an age limit on SuperDry bags / clothing / accessories etc?

I'm 58 and I wear SuperDry shorts sometimes; they look much the same as any other brand of cargo shorts. I believe I was a young lad of 56 when I bought them, though. I won't be buying SuperDry stuff again for reasons we need not explore here, but which have nothing to do with my age.

I probably wouldn't wear a hoodie.

Blog Entries
    General consensus seems to be they don’t excel at ‘manly size’ clothes! ;-)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Smedley
    The moths' favourite brand.

Devoured my Smedley sweaters in preference to any other brand despite anti-moth sprays, freezing, etc. Must be very tasty wool.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Devoured my Smedley sweaters in preference to any other brand despite anti-moth sprays, freezing, etc. Must be very tasty wool.
    I'm surprised at that - an uncle gave me a hand-me-down when I was 18 and it lasted over twenty years. On the strength of that I treated myself to a replacement from the factory shop last month.

edit: Or when you say "the" moth, are you being deliberately specific?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Mine are Merino Wool and Sea Island Cotton and the moths haven't touched them. I must have about 15 long and short sleeved Polos.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'm surprised at that - an uncle gave me a hand-me-down when I was 18 and it lasted over twenty years. On the strength of that I treated myself to a replacement from the factory shop last month.

Lea Mills? Lovely area, been there several times.

If a moth, a bloody hungry one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

How big is the factory shop?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    If you like it then wear it.

Not for me personally,and will not wear anything will an oversize brand logo plastered all over it.To me it just looks chavvy on a grown man who's over 21.

And that's not a dig at just superdry, it's all brands.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Next door neighbour wears both Superdry and Hollister and he looks a right old plum in them . He is 44 and i am older and would not wear them and that is before i tried to fit in them . I remember wear A & F long before you could get it over here but those days are gone