closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heads up guys, the Damasko steel bracelet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Oooooh, I've just come................... Daddel.
    Far too much information, Daddel :)

Simon

Oh, and those prices are insane btw.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    So I asked for a price for a bracelet for my DC67 and this was the reply.

Dear Mr Tims

Thank you for your e-mail!

Great to hear that you are happy with all our watches
    You have to send the watch back to us, because we have to make an individual strap for the watch.
    In the last years we often changed our cases, that we have to produce a new one for your watch.
    The price for it is 630,00 € + 60,00 € for adjustment. Additional you receive a special tool for the strap.

The shipping costs to your address are 70,00 €.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards

Isabella Damasko

I wrote back to express my dissatisfaction as a repeat customer and long term advocate of the brand and suggested they won't sell many at that pricing to owners of "old" watches. I did enquire about the price for a bracelet to a new watch.
    As a niche brand they are playing with fire IMHO.

This might be a nicely made bracelet, but in relation to the prices of their cheapest watches this is madness.

And, I'm indeed overwhelmed with all the different case-shapes they have used over the years................

Put "top" quality movements in all your watches and do a decent bracelet for a decent price in a decent timeframe.

Daddel.
    Last edited by Daddelvirks; 10th June 2014 at 10:39.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Damasko was never a customer focused enterprise was it?
    That's one way of putting it!

On the other hand, I guess this attitude has allowed them to develop some outstanding watches, their own movements, and - it seems - an outstanding bracelet. They could have rushed something out years ago, they could have made something a lot cheaper, but - for those willing to pay (not me) - what they have ended up with looks like a brilliantly engineered solution of the highest quality.

500 notes sounds a lot , but I think its actually fairly decent compared to a lot of other stuff in the industry. You are paying for bespoke Teutonic engineering excellence. The fact that the punters have also had to wait ten years also makes it look cheap. Having said all that , I won't be buying one :))
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    500 notes sounds a lot , but I think its actually fairly decent compared to a lot of other stuff in the industry. You are paying for bespoke Teutonic engineering excellence. The fact that the punters have also had to wait ten years also makes it look cheap. Having said all that , I won't be buying one :))
    True, true,

But some of their watches sell for less second hand, it's not in relation to their cheapest offerings IMHO.

I like the fact they developed their own movement, and I'm amazed they make a profit and all, how many would they sell?

Daddel.

It's not really that the cases are different that requires the watches to be sent in for bracelet fitting. Apparently it's because of Damasko's suspicion that the lug holes were not drilled uniformly across different batches and therefore Damasko cannot guarantee that a bracelet will fit properly without fitting it at the factory.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It's not really that the cases are different that requires the watches to be sent in for bracelet fitting. Apparently it's because of Damasko's suspicion that the lug holes were not drilled uniformly across different batches and therefore Damasko cannot guarantee that a bracelet will fit properly without fitting it at the factory.
    I wonder was this part of the reason that it took so long for them to produce the bracelet? Perhaps they tried to find other solutions first.

Utterly bizarre company, superb watches.

I like the tactile feel of Damasko's watch case steel, so whilst this bracelet interests me, I will hold back pending some customer feedback.
    As the steel is so hard, will this bracelet be liable to leave dings on table tops and the like? I also wonder if it will be 'noisy' - I can hear the movement inside my DA37 more clearly than other watches containing the same calibre. Is the weight of the bracelets known yet.

Here's the response from P&C:

'A DA37 on a bracelet would be £1374.31 including VAT.

The bracelets are only available on new DA models and DC66 at this time not DC57.'

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Here's the response from P&C:

'A DA37 on a bracelet would be £1374.31 including VAT.

The bracelets are only available on new DA models and DC66 at this time not DC57.'
    I wonder is there any way you could justify your watch as a business expense, thereby avoiding the VAT?

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    I wonder is there any way you could justify your watch as a business expense, thereby avoiding the VAT?
    Without my watch I'd be constantly late for business meetings. :-P

Don't think I can rationalise an approx. 50% increase in the cost of a DA37 for a bracelet version.

This is how it was always going to be. I was happy to sell Damasko for a number of years but itall went bizarre when you started talking about bracelets. Don't forget,the bracelet has been promised for at least 6 years. It's not a good idea to employ family in key positions,they get emotional about criticism.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Regardless of the price, the 'return to factory' for fitting or the quality of the manufacture - I still think they look horrible on the watch!

I love a Damasko, think the bracelets look like nice pieces of kit, but paired together it just doesn't work for me.

Vive la strap!

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    Regardless of the price, the 'return to factory' for fitting or the quality of the manufacture - I still think they look horrible on the watch! I love a Damasko, think the bracelets look like nice pieces of kit, but paired together it just doesn't work for me. Vive la strap!
    Horrible and a little underwhelming. Mind you, we have been waiting years for a watch bracelet - it doesn't take too much imagination and experience to work out it's going to look like a typical watch bracelet albeit another one with fancy bolts between links but pins securing the watch head - probably has pins holding the clasp too creating another weak point (compared to screws)
    Gray

The watches look better on leather anyway. Same as Sinn. I bought a bracelet for a 656 I had, and whilst it was a beautifully engineered thing, it completely altered the character of the watch and was straight back off. All IMHO of course.
    F.T.F.A.

Thumbs up

I'm inclined to say it doens't look that nice and given it'll cost nearly 60% of the price of the watch... Ah'm ooot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
    I'm inclined to say it doens't look that nice and given it'll cost nearly 60% of the price of the watch... Ah'm ooot.
    On the other hand, how much is the (rather good) bracelet for an IWC Mark XV - over a grand? Probably similar for many other marques. I guess if you figure 3k for one of the Damakos with an in-house movement, 600 odd for a bracelet isn't unreasonable. But I still won't be buying one at that price...

Blog Entries
    May I offer a very early offering

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/dama...let-48147.html

Having now got the "real deal" I must say I am on first photographic evidence a little well underwhelmed and on the cheaper models the brace catapults the pricing to a silly point so I suppose its time for Damasko to do what "real" watch makers do and that's double the price so the "accessories" look cheap
    Last edited by mart broad; 11th June 2014 at 10:21.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    On the other hand, how much is the (rather good) bracelet for an IWC Mark XV - over a grand? Probably similar for many other marques. I guess if you figure 3k for one of the Damakos with an in-house movement, 600 odd for a bracelet isn't unreasonable. But I still won't be buying one at that price...
    Is there anyone who is seriously rushing to compare a Mk XV with any flavour of Damasko?

I get your point, and I suspect this all heralds the initial stages of a price increase for Damasko, but as a company I don't get the impression their logistical support is up to it...!

Blog Entries
    Is there anyone who is seriously rushing to compare a Mk XV with any flavour of Damasko?

I get your point, and I suspect this all heralds the initial stages of a price increase for Damasko, but as a company I don't get the impression their logistical support is up to it...!
    Uhh, yes.

Daddel.

Uhh, yes.

Daddel.
    Yes indeed. If I'd shelled out for a Mk XV I'd be more concerned about comparing it to a PRS 22.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Also yes, so that's at least three of us.

Master

Question

So, has anybody bought this bracelet yet? What's it really like?

I have yet to see a watch for sale that comes with the new bracelet

Master

D67 Si with new Damasko bracelet

The German watches forum on WUS is just starting to show the odd Damasko that people have bought or fitted with the new bracelet.

Here's a D67 Si with Damasko bracelet
    Last edited by Dougal; 28th June 2014 at 10:59.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    The German watches forum on WUS is just starting to show the odd Damasko that people have bought or fitted with the new bracelet.

Here's a D67 Si with Damasko bracelet
    Shame he doesn't show the importent bits, like the clasp and fitting on the backside.
    It's just a normal bracelet now.........

Daddel.

Shame he doesn't show the importent bits, like the clasp and fitting on the backside.
    It's just a normal bracelet now.........

Daddel.
    He mentions in a later post that getting a precise fit is problematic. That's a shame.

Craftsman
    Arrogant f*cks!!!

Look at the conversation my dealer! had with Damasko.

My new DC66 bought very recently has some small spots on the bezel. Not big but noticable in certain light.

Look at their reaction. If they want to come out of bankruptcy, they should start acting different.

I am afraid to tell you that this is no warranty and we don’t change the bezel. A lot of our bezel have these spots on it and we don’t change it.

sorry for the delay. Yes we have some bezels which shows this. But we are not able to change it. We think for a watch in this price rate, it is ok. I am afraid to tell you this but we won’t change the bezel.
    Last edited by Tommie85; 15th July 2014 at 07:35.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommie85 View Post
    Arrogant f*cks!!!

My new DC66 bought very recently has some small spots on the bezel. Not big but noticable in certain light.

Look at their reaction. If they want to come out of bankruptcy, they should start acting different.
    Not done.

They can stick their bracelet where ther sun...................etc.

Daddel.

Arrogant f*cks!!!

With the attitude displayed there, there is no way I'd be interested in anything they sell - bracelet, watch, whatever.

Cheers,

Andy

Blog Entries
    Arrogant f*cks!!!

I am afraid to tell you that this is no warranty and we don’t change the bezel. A lot of our bezel have these spots on it and we don’t change it.

sorry for the delay. Yes we have some bezels which shows this. But we are not able to change it. We think for a watch in this price rate, it is ok. I am afraid to tell you this but we won’t change the bezel.
    Good grief, that is a very odd attitude from a luxury brand. A few spots you can only see in a certain lights are admittedly minor but, even so, are not what you'd expect on a luxury watch.

That kind of view rather puts me off them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Good grief, that is a very odd attitude from a luxury brand. A few spots you can only see in a certain lights are admittedly minor but, even so, are not what you'd expect on a luxury watch. That kind of view rather puts me off them.
    True, it is the last Damasko I bought

Master
    My experience with Damasko was excellent (watch arrived very promptly, no delay if I wanted single or double AR, and the watch was flawless).

However, Page & Cooper handled my purchase and they seemed to have a good relationship with Damasko, built on Jonathan's personal visits to the Damasko factory.

Was I lucky?

Craftsman
    My experience with Damasko was excellent (watch arrived very promptly, no delay if I wanted single or double AR, and the watch was flawless). However, Page & Cooper handled my purchase and they seemed to have a good relationship with Damasko, built on Jonathan's personal visits to the Damasko factory. Was I lucky?
    The purchase was also perfect for me. Also single ar-coating and asked for an extra check on specks on the dial/underside glass. Came out perfect. My AD is dealer at Damasko for 4 years now and never had any problems.

Craftsman
    And it is gong back.....a month old watch. Not living in the tropics...

Camera Roll-1001 by -Tom*K-

Camera Roll-999 by -Tom*K-

That looks like rust in the slot on the case back but surely, it can't be?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That looks like rust in the slot on the case back but surely, it can't be?

Eddie

I had something similar with a tegimented Sinn 756, years back, but that happened when on holiday in Australia, sweating a lot.

Very bad, this should not happen to a Damasko watch.

Daddel.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That looks like rust in the slot on the case back but surely, it can't be? Eddie
    It is rust. Happened to other owners also

Master
    It is rust. Happened to other owners also
    And to Sinn watches too. Though it seems a rare, albeit odd, problem for both brands.

Blog Entries
    That's bizarre. Presumably their hardening process can cause this sometimes?

Master
    Damasko steel should be inherently more corrosion resistant than regular (916L) steel. The WUS thread suggests the issue is with the seal, with the rust originating from the anti-magnetic iron inner cover. It's odd that it happened to both Sinn and Damasko watches, but perhaps it's just one of those rare events.

It wouldn't put me off Damasko. My Damasko's been perfect, with flawless build quality. I imagine every brand has a rare QC issue. What matters is how Damasko addresses the issue.
    Last edited by Dougal; 20th July 2014 at 10:26.

The WUS thread suggests the issue is with the seal, with the rust originating from the anti-magnetic iron inner cover.

If that is the case then how come there are visible rust spots on the crown ?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I don't know, but if you read the WUS thread, Konrad Damasko asked for the watch to be returned for metallurgical analysis. I claim no knowledge of metallurgy myself!

Perhaps Daddel can comment, because he noted similar rust spots on his Sinn in this WUS thread.

Craftsman
    I don't know, but if you read the WUS thread, Konrad Damasko asked for the watch to be returned for metallurgical analysis. I claim no knowledge of metallurgy myself! Perhaps Daddel can comment, because he noted similar rust spots on his Sinn in this WUS thread.
    Mine is already on its way to Barbing. Can't be the iron case as it is on the caseback itself. Guessing it will be a new case. You can remove the rust but the metal will still be vulnerable.

Blog Entries
    I don't know, but if you read the WUS thread, Konrad Damasko asked for the watch to be returned for metallurgical analysis. I claim no knowledge of metallurgy myself!

Perhaps Daddel can comment, because he noted similar rust spots on his Sinn in this WUS thread.
    They told me it had something to do with the amount of acid in your sweat, it happened in Australia with very high teperatures.
    I don't know if this is true, but my sweat has indeed a high amount of acid, with the right wind coming from the continent you can smell me on the British isles..............

Daddel.

Craftsman
    They told me it had something to do with the amount of acid in your sweat, it happened in Australia with very high teperatures. I don't know if this is true, but my sweat has indeed a high amount of acid, with the right wind coming from the continent you can smell me on the British isles.............. Daddel.
    Never had any problems, not even with chromed cases. Also the climate in the Netherlands is very mild, not humid. And the DA36 that I own, never had this problems.

Craftsman
    I've had 7 Damaskos over the last 5 years, 2 showed rust spots on the caseback.