Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TZ-UK Without Sales Corner.

TZ-UK Without Sales Corner.

Just wondered what would happen.

It's happened. We didn't like it.

Master
    Everyone would be a lot wealthier.

Forum activity would drop 75%, and Eddie's beard would return to brown LOL

Ha! I was thinking the same thing just a sec ago as I was leaving my umptenth feedback on H&V for a good seller.

I would like to think that I would be richer for not having been on SC but who am I kidding? It would just be another SC on another for forum, most likely with much of the same people??? At least with SC on TZ-UK I don't have put up with "CONUS only" cr@p.

J

I would have not met and exchanged watches with some superb people True !

oh i dunno i've had a ice pair of shoes and a pair of boots from the sale page

Oh, that's OK then...And for my 250th Post let me tell you all about my....

....now where's that camera?

Forpetesake.

Note to Self: Must try to make the next 250 posts less hard work than the first.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 29th October 2013 at 01:10.

On there other side of that.There would be no "How do I access Sales Corner threads"

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Everyone would be a lot wealthier.
    Except anyone selling.

Craftsman
    where else would we be able to look at 100s of different watches at realistic prices?

Normally on your 250th post you should offer a watch toward the TZ Fund Raiser

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Oh, that's OK then...And for my 250th Post let me tell you all about my....

....now where's that camera?

Forpetesake.

Note to Self: Must try to make the next 250 posts less hard work than the first.

Blog Entries
    I don't use it a great deal and my % ave would be very low.

G&D though..... That would be a real miss

Paul

Sales corner... only know it from years ago. :(
    Gotta do some more senseless posting I guess.

Grand Master
    Id say the forum would reduce in number significantly and a reduced knowledge would occur, the trading of watches allows people to own and express informed opinion and without the option to do so in such an enthusiastic forum it would be greatly diminished. SC has introduced a significant number of people to watches that they would never of dreamed of buying and caused much pleasure (maybe a little pain) over the years.
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Id say the forum would reduce in number significantly and a reduced knowledge would occur, the trading of watches allows people to own and express informed opinion and without the option to do so in such an enthusiastic forum it would be greatly diminished. SC has introduced a significant number of people to watches that they would never of dreamed of buying and caused much pleasure (maybe a little pain) over the years.
    I see your point, and agree that the numbers would drop as hawkers using the place as a sort of free eBay would of course disappear. But then they would never contribute anyway, just exploit, so I'm not sure what difference it would make to the other forums. Also, I'm not sure that simply spending money on products makes you knowledgeable, unless you read and research (which you don't need to spend cash to do).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Regardless of whether you want to buy/sell, I find Sales Corner is a very nice place to learn about unusual watches that you might never discover otherwise, particularly of the vintage variety.

Sales corner isn't the problem anymore . It's the drop in behavioural standards that's the issue .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

We would actually all be a little poorer and have crappier watches. Probably from getting ripped off elsewhere. :)

Less bitching, but no doubt other targets would be found by the needy few

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Sales corner isn't the problem anymore . It's the drop in behavioural standards that's the issue .
    Why do you say that? Seems a very polite Forum in the main, and to get back to the OP it would be a poorer place for beginners like me in the world of watches. I've now bought a few off SC and without exception the experience has been a very positive one. I would not feel confident enough to buy from ebay at this level of expenditure, so that would only leave the dealers and their mark ups.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post

What he says...

Craftsman

Unhappy

Oh, and well done for getting to 250 in six months - taken me three years and still not up to 100!

Master
    The flippers would flip

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I think you're right. Annoying though it may be in some respects, I think a buying and selling facility tends to augment and benefit the discussion facility. The reason is difficult to put into words. It's something to do with the complete social dynamic (at least when discussing small, valuable baubles of considerable desire and worth ).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    Why do you say that? Seems a very polite Forum in the main
    It is still a very polite forum in the main but I think it is also true that the level of carping, bitching, troublemaking/finding and point scoring has increased since I joined about four years ago. .... Hang on, does that mean it's my fault? ;-)

Anyway, to get back to the point, I don't think SC is the cause of this (although it can create some problems of its own). Overall I think SC is beneficial to the forum even if you don't want to buy or sell.

If there was no sales corner I would get back an hour or two of my life every day, but lets not think about that!And

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Membership would dwindle, because talking about watches and other tripe is expanded via buying/selling/trading watches on SC.

I own 14 "quality" watches, of which 7 have been sourced off SC at VERY realistic prices which I could not be happier with. Generally, they were 20-40% cheaper than a dealer, and at least 10% cheaper than Ebay.

I've also made a few friends who I'd turn to for advice, met up with a few people and learned a lot.

I would have never met any of those people if it wasn't for SC as I would have no reason to!

God bless SC and all those who sail in her!

(Cue national anthem, all stand and sing!)

The forum traffic would drop off significantly and relocate to another forum where watch swaps and sales are allowed.

Given that Eddie's current business model requires traffic through the forum, his watch sales would also drop off somewhat.

Which is why SC is currently safe.

SC is a great place for buying everyday items as a well as watches. Last time it was closed I was far more interested in watches so it didn't really bother me. Nowadays I spend most of my time on G&D, so if SC was closed again I'd probably stop visiting.

Master
    What a blasphemous thought.

No SC would lead to these kind of moments

http://youtu.be/9SK0QyHcCIw

Craftsman
    The SC is integral to the forum. I started reading and then posting on various watch forums initially just to learn about my new interest, and be in a position to ask questions. Initially the thought of buying something worth thousands on a message board filled me with terror and all of my first major purchases were for new watches from dealers.

But now I'd be lying if I said that one of the main reasons for being here wasn't to browse through the sales section hoping to come across a gem of a watch, and in many cases something that you would never have ever considered before. I'd never thought of getting a vintage Omega until I saw one pop up on a watch forum for an affordable price. Similarly, I would never have considered a gold watch until something particularly beautiful popped up on this forum and made me do a complete U-turn on gold watches.

Personally, I like the way the SC is run on here. I think the time restriction along with the post-count restriction is just about bang on.

must post more to peep behind the curtain...

I very much enjoy sales corner, not only have I made two purchases now which were very smooth and the sellers a delight to deal with I just love getting to view watches I have never seen before and its expanded my knowledge vastly of what's out there and what things are worth. It's also interesting to see non watch related sales as well but I do prefer seeing some unusual or vintage pieces. Its made me think about brands I hadn't considered before, plus if I want to move something myself this will be my first choice over ebay. I love that SC works on such a friendly trusting basis, this is a rare beast and restores my faith in human nature. Testament to the amount of decent and honest people on here

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Normally on your 250th post you should offer a watch toward the TZ Fund Raiser
    Who Me?...I've never bought a watch in my entire life!

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
    Sales corner... only know it from years ago. :(
    Gotta do some more senseless posting I guess.
    I'm certainly hoping that the first 250 of mine will prove to have made the least sense.

Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    Oh, and well done for getting to 250 in six months - taken me three years and still not up to 100!
    I don't think I've got anything left to say ...and Sales Corner looks like it could turn into an expensive habit.

Blog Entries
    I'd have a burnout at work, not being able to relax anymore in between..............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I have never had it so would never miss it. I joined to read other peoples thoughts and share my own (whether they want them or not...)

It is something to look forward to though, it's hard work buying and selling in the real world and an easy flip for something that isn't being worn much for something that might be makes a lot of sense.

I think it would refreshing to have TZ without it. I think it's a corrupting influence. So many of the gripes and spats in the rest of TZ stem from SC transactions that failed to somehow go as planned.

I should point out that, yes, I've sold a handful of things in the past (watch straps and a few bottles of wine) and bought possibly four watches over the last four or five years. So it's a useful resource. But too many people come here specifically to trade or bargain hunt.

And surely that's not what this place is about.

There's a Sales Corner!?!
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I have never had it so would never miss it. I joined to read other peoples thoughts and share my own (whether they want them or not...)
    It seems to me that Watch Talk and George & Dragon are where the soul of TZ-UK resides, even though SC is evidently very popular and generates significant traffic.

It's just that sometimes a really interesting thread will briefly appear, only to be quickly submerged under general traffic, allowing time for neither contemplation or the latecomer.

Yeah, I know ...taking it all a bit too seriously...pinch of salt and all that.

See you on Sales Corner then.

I'm certainly hoping that the first 250 of mine will prove to have made the least sense.
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    But too many people come here specifically to trade or bargain hunt.

With the 60/180 day and 50/250 post count rules, do they though? If I had only joined to trade, I'd be off somewhere else by now!

SC is an interesting part of the site, and a bit of a unique place on the internet, at that.

Where else could you buy an Andy Tims? :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    What he says...
    +1.....I too think there's been a general drop in manners and etiquette over the past year or so. As for SC, I personally think there's too much non watch-related stuff thesedays and I`d be happy to see that tightened up.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    There's a Sales Corner!?!
    Excellent

Now that made me titter!

Banned
    Not bothered about SC one way or the other, I could easily live without it as we have plenty of charity shops close by.

Banned
    I do think Sales Corner used to be the reason many joined, looking for that ultimate watch bargain.

Now it's more fat men seeking Belstaff jackets, used shoes and Faberge eggs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I do think Sales Corner used to be the reason many joined, looking for that ultimate watch bargain.

Now it's more fat men seeking Belstaff jackets, used shoes and Faberge eggs.
    Don't forget the out of date aftershave.

Quote Originally Posted by heygan View Post
    Ha! I was thinking the same thing just a sec ago as I was leaving my umptenth feedback on H&V for a good seller.

I would like to think that I would be richer for not having been on SC but who am I kidding? It would just be another SC on another for forum, most likely with much of the same people??? At least with SC on TZ-UK I don't have put up with "CONUS only" cr@p.

J
    here some say uk only, no different, any seller that had conus if after a few days of no deal were always glad to change their alliance/religon.