timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CWC Royal Navy diver

Blog Entries
    Mine does not I am afraid

Paul

Master
    I've been considering one of these for a while but I can't see anything on the Silverman's web site re: size. How big is the case, please?

SGR

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I've been considering one of these for a while but I can't see anything on the Silverman's web site re: size. How big is the case, please?

SGR
    40mm'ish.

I have a real beat up one which had a new movement last year and it is an excellent chuck on and graft watch.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    does the T on a superluminova dial bother you ?

Oh ? Since when (what year) ?

If I'd know that, I would have bought one.

It's exactly what I want, just didn't want to be disappointed by the lume (as with my 10year old trit G10)
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 17th June 2014 at 18:32.

SGR
    On the Silvermans site below the search function, (top right-hand corner) there is a link for CWC watch information, which takes you here. Next click on Royal Navy divers quartz watch silver without date, which takes you here. Whala, information regarding case thickness, lug to lug height and width including crown.

Simples

One thing i've found with this watch, is that however much you spend on finding the right strap, and over the years it must be almost as much as i spent on the watch, you'll conclude that it looks best, works best and is completely comfortable on the distressed, admiralty grey, Phoenix NATO that you've left sitting in the tin.

The whole package from Silvermans is completely right, when you accept that and bookmark Mickie 500 it becomes a complete bargain.

This was issued in 2001 and it is like new...but it looks like its on its way out through me responding to a WTB post. Having second thoughts after this thread...

I have three issued and they are great watches

One with acrylic bezel (after being serviced)

new and old side by side (Both the bezel and the dials are different)

and the SBS (looking for another if someone has one for sale for a friend)

Last edited by Flashharry; 18th June 2014 at 14:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by himmelblau View Post
    On the Silvermans site below the search function, (top right-hand corner) there is a link for CWC watch information, which takes you here. Next click on Royal Navy divers quartz watch silver without date, which takes you here. Whala, information regarding case thickness, lug to lug height and width including crown.

Simples
    A-ha. Thanks for that. The stated measurement (45mm) includes the crown which I always think is slightly unrepresentative - any owners got a view on how it actually wears? I'm guessing more like 42mm?

SGR

PS - it's 'voila'. :-)

A-ha. Thanks for that. The stated measurement (45mm) includes the crown which I always think is slightly unrepresentative - any owners got a view on how it actually wears? I'm guessing more like 42mm?
    more like 40mm

PS - it's 'voila'. :-)
    Taken from Urban Dictionary:

whala

"a b******ized english version of the French word "voila" meaning "there it is"
    Often used by morons in an attempt to sound more intelligent than they actually are.
    Incidentally, voila sounds phonetically like whala hence the improper spelling."

Brian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by himmelblau View Post
    more like 40mm
    OK, thanks. Really want one of these now!

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by mariod View Post
    ...me too ;)

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    So do I. That's gorgeous !!
    Not only is it gorgeous, but it's now... MINE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Not only is it gorgeous, but it's now... MINE
    I bloody love that faded bezel - more pics please!!

SGR

I bloody love that faded bezel - more pics please!!

SGR
    I've been after it for bloody ages, and finally prised it out of Mario's grasp a couple of days ago. It's on it's way over to me from Germany as we speak, and you can rest assured that there'll be photos when it lands! (This is why I've listed my U1, in fact.)

Master
    I've been after it for bloody ages, and finally prised it out of Mario's grasp a couple of days ago. It's on it's way over to me from Germany as we speak, and you can rest assured that there'll be photos when it lands! (This is why I've listed my U1, in fact.)
    Is the fading just due to age and plenty of time in the sun or has this been artificially accelerated?

SGR

Is the fading just due to age and plenty of time in the sun or has this been artificially accelerated?

SGR
    I think it was baked, Stuart - it's freaking lovely, though.

Grand Master
    I've seen

"and eh wala"

on forums before. Which is really ruining it :)

I like the CWC design and would be tempted further if it had removable bars - it would look pretty good on a mesh I reckon.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

i have been wearing mine non stop
    lovely watch
    Attached Images Attached Images

500 euros for a quartz, I don't get it. Why is this better than a Precista PRS-18? Must be something British I guess.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    500 euros for a quartz, I don't get it. Why is this better than a Precista PRS-18? Must be something British I guess.
    Not necessarily better, just a different style.I have an 18a and it's my one of my favourite watches, but i just love the look of the CWC diver, and hope to get one some time soon :-)
    The thing that has put me off with the CWC is the poor bezel action, but i think they've improved recently.
    Just wish Silvermans customer care would improve!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    They have a retail outlet, which is not free. Also they're made in Switzerland, which as you (should probably) know is an awful lot more expensive. I guess historically the tritium dials were probably more expensive to manufacture; although they've moved to luminova now, it is not advisable to price watches on a cost-plus basis.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

(sorry for the crappy pictures, they were taken with my 3 year old Smartphone)

Bezel action is fine on my two CWC RN Autos from 2012 and my one CWC SBS Quartz from 2013.
    I read too that they improved the bezel action, can't confirm though as I never had an older model.

Lume on the autos is a catastrophe, on the SBS it is great.

(left to right: Precista PRS-3 LE, CWC Auto Diver, Precista PRS-18A)

Not only are they Swiss Made and sold (also) through a retail store, they are also made in really small numbers
    without using a generic case, they probably sell around 150 auto divers a year!

While I think they are (too) expensive, I do think the same about, let's say, Omega, Rolex, IWC, Sinn and the like.

PS: By the way, whats your opinion regarding the new CWC RN Diver with date? The new chrome window around
    the date looks terrible imho...

http://www.chronoworld.com/media/cat...551_photo1.jpg
    Last edited by JMH; 23rd June 2014 at 17:03.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post

(sorry for the crappy pictures, they were taken with my 3 year old Smartphone)

Bezel action is fine on my two CWC RN Autos from 2012 and my one CWC SBS Quartz from 2013.
    I read too that they improved the bezel action, can't confirm though as I never had an older model.

Lume on the autos is a catastrophe, on the SBS it is great.

Your CWC automatic diver looks like it has a tritium dial that is incorrectly marked (L) for Luminova. Silvermans have recently been selling a CWC Diver with Luminova dial that is incorrectly marked (T) for Tritium! It seems like the switch from Tritium to Luminova has not been easy for them.
    Last edited by AndySquirrel; 24th June 2014 at 14:29.

As far as I know its luminova, just not that strong. But I will test it (leave the watch in a dark place for a day and check if it still glows).

While the lume is poor performance wise, I really have to compliment CWC/Silverman's for the looks. The quartz divers have great luminova lume, but, it looks like luminova. The RN auto really looks like it could be tritium, while it is supposedly not. The only thing that really annoys me is the dark spot in the lume glow of the hour hand (as the picture shows).
    Last edited by JMH; 26th June 2014 at 16:51.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    As far as I know its luminova, just not that strong. But I will test it (leave the watch in a dark place for a day and check if it still glows).

While the lume is poor performance wise, I really have to compliment CWC/Silverman's for the looks. The quartz divers have great luminova lume, but, it looks like luminova. The RN auto really looks like it could be tritium, while it is supposedly not. The only thing that really annoys me is the dark spot in the lume glow of the hour hand (as the picture shows).
    Wow you seem to have both a Tritium CWC Automatic diver with an incorrectly marked (L) on the dial and a Luminova CWC SBS Diver incorrectly marked (T) on the dial!

Would be funny if both were incorrectly marked. But no, I have two CWC automatics both from the 2012 batch, one of them I covered some hours ago and now its completely dark, it doesnt glow at all, so I think it is really luminova and not tritium. But the SBS (from 2013) does have the "transitional dial" / is incorrectly marked.

The sparing use of luminova on the automatic diver could be intentional, the look is really different between the raised luminova of the SBS and the flat vintage tritium like luminova on the automatic (I totally agree with your observation here, Andy, looks like tritium!):

Here a lume comparison between the 2013 SBS diver quartz (left) and the 2012 CWC RN diver automatic, maybe of interest:

Best regards!
    Last edited by JMH; 26th June 2014 at 20:09.

The luminova dial and hands glow really well on the circle T quartz model I have. The tritium SBS doesn't glow much, even when I bought it new in 2010 (it is marked 08 on the back). The tritium lume does look nice in the daylight though, a rather nice shade of creamy yellow that my photo doesn't really capture.

Last edited by Saxon007; 6th July 2019 at 03:27.

I spent a significant part of last week swimming and snorkelling in the Mediterranean.

Confirmed my view that the 2012 Quartz RN Diver is perfect in the few situations where the GMT II isn't and that on that basis i don't need another watch.

So a £400 quartz is a complete bargain.

Strikes me that the; modern, practical, affordable, Milsub is actually 2 watches.
    Last edited by raysablade; 29th June 2014 at 13:10.

Well, Mine landed a few days ago, and I LOVE it!!!

Thats just gorgeous. I did bake luminova dials and hands too in the past, to make them look vintage. Fortunately, the new CWC autos already look like they were baken without doing so.

Quick and dirty smartphone shot:

Your beautifully faded bezel insert, however, is probably unique. :)
    Last edited by JMH; 29th June 2014 at 13:41.

Ha! Like it

Master

Tony, your pics are awesome and I'm so glad that you like it. I am sure that I'll add another CWC diver soon, maybe a quartz diver. Silvermans seems to offer a stainless steel quartz diver with day and date like the sbs version. Does anyone know if this is a regular modell or kind of limited edition?

Edit: Silvermans says on their website that it's available in limited quantity.
    Last edited by mariod; 29th June 2014 at 14:02.

According to Silvermans these daydate-Qs are limited, unfortunately.

I saw that watch years ago shortly after it was baked, the guy that did it gave instructions, his "recipe" I suppose. I've looked and cannot find it now, I don't even rememeber which forum it was on. I do remember seeing the results though, and it is nice to see the watch is just as awesome now as it was then.

Master
    Probably a stupid question but, just wondered when the insert was baked was it removed from the bezel?
    Would it be possible to bake the complete bezel AND insert together, or would the adhesive melt?
    Thanks.

He may well have baked the dial and hands as in the main that dulls the black a little.on the dial plate and artificially ages the lume. I suspect the bezel insert has been bleached and maybe then baked to age the lume pip.

Royal Navy Diver SBS edition

Should anyone be interested I can give more information regarding these,

Briefly, After requests from SBS personnel CWC were asked to produce samples of a PVD coated version for clandestine uses. The original order was apparantly for only 150 or so and CWC was not inclined to exclusively produce these so agreement was reached to make these but CWC would be allowed to produce these partially marked but for civilian use.
    I have seen many pictures over the years,especially recently as prices continue to climb, of questionable watches, here are a few things to remember.
    Firstly all issue R.N. Watches had fixed strap bars.
    The engraving is unique in that it was drilled in as such, not just the type of engraving you would get if you had your dogs tag engraved by a jeweller.
    GENUINE issue watches have engraving thus ~

0555/6645-99
    ^ Sorry can't find arrow symbol.
    C339/02

You will find all watches engraved with everything above the arrow, this was done by CWC Themselves.
    When military stores issued a watch it was engraved with its unique issue number below the arrow.
    This particular watch was mine, I've changed the number for anonymity a bit but the C is for C company
    And the /02 was the issue date. The PVD has worn a bit on the edges but with 10 years of HARD use its at testament to the original Vapour formula.
    When you see a watch for sale without the engraving below the arrow IT WAS NOT ISSUED.
    I saw one for sale in Hong Kong at a small fortune, but no issue engraving !!!!!

If anyone is interesed there is more to follow including pictures of the unique engraving style when I work out how to do it. Regards to you all.
    Last edited by The mad scientist; 6th February 2015 at 11:34.

[IMG][/IMG]

I wore my 2012 auto CWC yesterday, its a great watch but the lume is pants! I am tempted to get it relumed, that could make it the prefect diver watch.

Quote Originally Posted by The mad scientist View Post
    C339/02

[...] the C is for C company
    Hmm, are you quite sure? I had previously heard from several other sources that the "C" was engraved by Silverman's and indicated a Commercial, i.e. non-military example. Certainly that appears to be how the newest ones you'd purchase over the counter are marked. I'd be happy to be shown wrong though if you have access to a more accurate source!

cheers,
    - Matt

Replying to my own post to add more information... The issue is also muddled by the fact that Silverman's seem to have engraved military-like "non-C" serial numbers on CWC divers produced in 2012. Here's an SBS for sale on the 'bay that's clearly a commercial model purchased from Silverman's, but which has a non-C number on the caseback.

cheers,
    - Matt

That's gorgeous, tempted to try that with the spare insert for my Broadarrow! Does anyone know what temperature and for how long or is it 'suck it & see' as different inserts react differently ??

SBS watches.

It's a case of the devil being in the detail. i have only seen 2 watches with military provenance marked with company prefixes C and X but the fact is that if you put an ISSUE watch with maybe 15 or so years service use alongside one of the modern production watches the difference is glaringly obvious.

SBS Watches

Also while I remember I once saw an issue watch which had been "struck" I.E. Had two lines engraved through the issue number and then reissued with a different one. Not everyone got a fresh watch.!

I probably should start another thread to post this question (apologies to the OP if I take us up a cul-de-sac)....

I can never understand CWC's business. I'm amazed CWC dosent increase the brand they have. The watches are amazing and I'd love to see them with an online footing/branding like Marathon or Traser etc. Anyway, its not my firm but I'm a loyal customer.

I'm a huge fan of CWC watches and I wear a G10 quartz with date on a leather strap every day at work. A solid piece and I'm going to say its a design classic, clean lines, easy to read and just wears very very well, CWC make the best G10 in my opinion. My Rolex gets left behind for this G10 nearly daily.

In the modern armed forces CWCs are a rarity (unless you are 'in the know'). Also, anyone on here from a service background will tell you, everything gets stolen, hence the cheap casios and timexs bought in argos. I'm really not sure how many units CWC are selling to the MOD in these lean times.

Maybe they want to keep the brand small but many many big watch outfits would pay millions to have that real military heritage. I don't want to upset anyone so I wont name brands but a couple of high end watch companies have military heritage that is either skin deep or bought in via a mergers/aquisition.

Anyway, wear well CWC owners.

Well said, TimeThoughts, I quite agree.

Would someone who has a recent silvermans watch have a careful look at the numbering, it looks from pictures I've seen that the serial numbers are stamped into the back, you may need an eyeglass to tell but I'm keen to know.
    The "cross" of the number 4 is the giveaway in that it's not clean if stamped with swelling of the metal.
    Last edited by The mad scientist; 7th February 2015 at 10:38.

Engraved

Quote Originally Posted by The mad scientist View Post
    Would someone who has a recent silvermans watch have a careful look at the numbering, it looks from pictures I've seen that the serial numbers are stamped into the back, you may need an eyeglass to tell but I'm keen to know.
    The "cross" of the number 4 is the giveaway in that it's not clean if stamped with swelling of the metal.

Grand Master
    Nice watch,so how much should I be looking to pay for an issued one?.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Nice watch,so how much should I be looking to pay for an issued one?.
    Somewhere in the vicinity of £450-500 seems to be the going rate for an issued piece these days, based on personal experience and watching auctions on the 'bay.