closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The perect G&T?

Craftsman
    Just taken delivery of a kilo of juniper berries for the summer of G&T drinking, might try one tonight with a dash of Angostora bitters.....

I don´t have a clue about gin, all I know is that I like it. So I got a bottle of this at Palma airport. What is it with the cucumber, just plonk it in the glass or on the side?

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...ed=0CCEQrQMwAA

Grand Master
    Had a Monkey 47 (or 2) with Fever Tree in a little bar in Hull this week........Heaven (the drink not the place)
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Had a Monkey 47 (or 2) with Fever Tree in a little bar in Hull this week........Heaven (the drink not the place)
    Which bar?

Had the monkey 47 with fever tree and a little slice of plum at the fat duck a couple of weeks ago. Was lovely and picked a bottle up to savour

Bombay Sapphire, Gordons, my parents always buy me Tanquery for christmas. Any old tonic Will do.

When I can get it I like the Menocan gin drink Pomada, straight up out the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Which bar?

Had the monkey 47 with fever tree and a little slice of plum at the fat duck a couple of weeks ago. Was lovely and picked a bottle up to savour
    Thanks for the tip - have a bottle here and trying to work out what I need to add apart from fever tree

The missus is the gin queen around here, and when we visited Gordon Castle near Fochabers, we purchased their gin - Castle Gordon Gin.
    Look it up and check out the reviews!

If you're looking for a G&T in Norwich, head to the Gin Palace above the Mash Tun pub:

https://www.facebook.com/TheMashTunNorwich

Over 150 gins and a dozen different tonics. There should be something to satisfy every palette.

It's official. The International Wine and Spirit Competition has chosen the best G&T. The Finnish Kyrö Distillery Company have won with their Napue Gin (coupled with Fever-Tree tonic and garnishments).

The World's Best G&T (And How To Make It)

23-07-2015
    Originally drunk medicinally by the army of the British East India Company, is there a cocktail more quintessentially British than a G&T? In a nod to the timeless favourite, The International Wine and Spirit Competition (IWSC) has spent months tasting gins from across the globe, hunting for the gin of all gins to marry with age-old partner, tonic. Having searched far and wide, they’ve now found the winner of their very first G&Tcompetition to bring you the world’s ultimate serve.

It may be a simple partnership, but there’s nothing simple about the IWSC’s winning gin, Napue. With roots at the very heart of Finnish nature, Napue is a full bodied spirit with a herbal sweet taste and hints of sea-buckthorn, cranberries, pepper, rye and birch leaves.

Perfectly paired with Fever Tree’s Indian Tonic Water, a blend of botanical oils, spring water and the highest quality quinine from the 'fever trees' of the Eastern Congo, the G&T has a uniquely crisp, mellow and refreshing taste and aroma.

Here’s the award winning recipe, to impress your friends with this extra special take on an old favourite.

Ingredients
    · Double shot of Napue gin
    · 200ml of Fever Tree tonic
    · Rosemary
    · Cranberries

Preparation method
    · Fill a tall glass with ice
    · Pour in the Napue gin
    · Top with Fever Tree tonic
    · Garnish with rosemary and cranberries

Napue, 50cl is available from Amazon.co.uk at RRP £31.89, for more information visit www.kyrodistillery.com. Fever Tree, 500ml is available from Tesco at RRP £1.35, for more information visit www.fever-tree.com.
    Source:
    http://www.iwsc.net/news1/3059

Not sue if I would be able to source Napue Gin here but I like this recipe a lot

Ingredients· Double shot of Napue gin
    · 200ml of Fever Tree tonic
    · Rosemary
    · Cranberries
    BTW the Ritz does absolutely and unequivocally best G&Ts. Ever. Just saying.
    Last edited by VDG; 25th July 2015 at 21:21.

A local bar has a great gin selection and I'm working my way through them slowly but surely. Favourite so far is Monkey 47 with Fentiman's tonic. My other half doesn't like tonic, so her drink of choice just now is a Brockmans with ginger ale and a slice of orange. It is rather tasty and a nice change from a G&T.

I like a gin fizz as a change to a G & T. Two measures of gin, one measure of lemon juice, one teaspoon of sugar and topped up over crushed ice with sparkling water. I add a slice of lime as the finishing touch.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Not sue if I would be able to source Napue Gin here but I like this recipe a lot
    The article says you can get it from Amazon.co.uk, but I think it's a little premature, as I read in a Finnish article that they are negotiating with Amazon. It mentioned that winning the competition has sped up international negotiations, but I guess you'll need to wait some. You could source it through me or another member based in Finland, if you really want it...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I like a gin fizz as a change to a G & T. Two measures of gin, one measure of lemon juice, one teaspoon of sugar and topped up over crushed ice with sparkling water. I add a slice of lime as the finishing touch.
    Thanks for the recommendation - tried this tonight - very very tasty! Will be hard to switch back to G&T

Just finished bottle of Tanqueray Ten making it which I thought was absolutely top rate

Started a bottle of the new 'Star of Bombay' released earlier in the year ... jury is still out verses its peers - will give it a few days :-)

Oh my lord.... someone gave me a Pink Pepper Gin & Fever tree the other day...... I have since googled the price of the gin and no wonder it is so lovely at £40 a bottle. A great taste of spice but quite subtle once you read that a single is definitely the right quantity in a glass.

A definite on the list for winter nights.

The perect G&T?

Very simple approach here. Make sure limes are reasonably warm (rub with hands to warm up a little). Squeeze quarter of lime fully into tall glass. Fill glass with ice. Add a large measure of Bombay Sapphire London gin. Mix a little. Add half a small bottle of Fever Tree carefully to retain fizz. Put another quarter of lime in the top without squeezing this time. Happy days. Friday evening tradition in our house.

Edit: I live a couple of miles up the road from the Bombay Sapphire distillary so feel I must drink the local produce. A tour of the distillary is highly recommended. Gin cocktails after in their on site cocktail bar not to be missed.
    Last edited by PipPip; 17th November 2015 at 23:59.

Grand Master
    Just got given a bottle of Monkey 47, looking forward to having a sip
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Monkey 47 is lovely and smooth, and tastes of lavender.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Very simple approach here. Make sure limes are reasonably warm (rub with hands to warm up a little). Squeeze quarter of lime fully into tall glass. Fill glass with ice. Add a large measure of Bombay Sapphire London gin. Mix a little. Add half a small bottle of Fever Tree carefully to retain fizz. Put another quarter of lime in the top without squeezing this time. Happy days. Friday evening tradition in our house.

Edit: I live a couple of miles up the road from the Bombay Sapphire distillary so feel I must drink the local produce. A tour of the distillary is highly recommended. Gin cocktails after in their on site cocktail bar not to be missed.
    I do the same but prefer Gordon's, the stronger export version.

By the way has anyone figured out why the UK market Gordon's is weaker at 37.5%:

As opposed to the export version which is 47.3% available at airports etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post

By the way has anyone figured out why the UK market Gordon's is weaker at 37.5%:

Less to pay to HMRC, equals more profit?

Not really a gin fan but I tried Morrison's London gin a few weeks ago and it was really nice.

Always fevertree tonic, I get 24 x 200ml bottles off amazon.

For gin my favorites at the moment are:
    Monkey 47
    The botanist Islay dry
    Strathearn Heather Rose

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post

Try :-

Or :-

Oddly I just to hated Gin when I had one as a young lad, love it now.

Also this is made very local to me

http://www.burleighsgin.com/

Master
    I haven't had that since the eighties, we used to get it from the Dutch forces shops in Germany in huge bottles with handles. we got it from the Dutch as we were rationed to something like 1 bottle a week or month (can't remember which) from the Naafi.

Today I picked up a bottle of Whittaker's, distilled in Harrogate so will see how this tastes later.

Quote Originally Posted by crichtonjpa View Post
    The Portobello is great. Its a no nonsense gin that works in most things (G&T included). I picked it up after a ginstitute day at the Portobello star (Home pub of its creators, who i think you ran into in Canary Wharf), which i can highly recommend to fill an afternoon.
    Finally got around to getting a bottle of Portobello Road Gin - it really is excellent
    Just finished a bottle of 'Star of Bombay' but would rate Portobello much higher

Craftsman
    Great tip on buying Fever Tree bottles from Amazon, but does anyone have a supplier of cans in large multiples?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    Great tip on buying Fever Tree bottles from Amazon, but does anyone have a supplier of cans in large multiples?
    Thanks
    If you haven't already try waitrose's tonic, 3 x 1l bottles for £1.20 at the moment. Perfect use of ingredients and the best value for money tonic you can buy, imho :)

Thanks
    Some supermarkets do the 24 packs of Schweppes tonic in smaller (150ml maybe?) cans, perfect for 1.5 g&t's.

And on the gin front, got a bottle of bathtub gin for my birthday. It's absolutely lovely, needs no additions such as lime etc and tastes great.

Thanks
    Found that Waitrose are now selling packs of 8x150ml cans of Fever Tree....

Celebrated with two tonight .... and a dash of gin of course :-)

Tried Fever Tree tonic for the first time and must say it makes the difference between a good and excellent G&T. I do mine with ice, tonic, gin [my flatmate's Bombay Sapphire ] and cucumber; I like the latter better than lemon.

Has someone tried the Portobello gin ? I happen to live just off Portobello road, and they stock it at the local Tesco. We also have a very nice gin bar around, The Ginstitute, which I recommend.

(Stolen pic, as I've had too much of the G&T as mentioned above ...)
    Last edited by jonasy; 2nd January 2016 at 22:38.

Master

Cool

I've often stayed at the Portobello Gold,any relation ?

Always keen to try a different brand.

Been after a bottle of this for a couple of years now and my wife kindly got me a bottle for Christmas, not tried it yet but looking forward to it.......

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Has someone tried the Portobello gin ? I happen to live just off Portobello road, and they stock it at the local Tesco. We also have a very nice gin bar around, The Ginstitute, which I recommend.
    If you're a local, haven't you made the connection yet??!?

Portobello Gin is distilled in the Star AKA the Ginstitute!

PS It's very nice. And good 'booze miles' as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    I've often stayed at the Portobello Gold,any relation ?
    No.

The Portobello Star/Ginstitute is just down the road. They have both been there for years and I don't think that they are owned by the same people. The Star also used to be a pub but is now more of a cocktail bar.

Master
    Have never liked fever tree tonic. Not sure if it's just because I'm used to the sweeter stuff, or if I find it too carbonated.

Have recently taken to drinking Plymouth gin without tonic or ice.

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Always keen to try a different brand.

Been after a bottle of this for a couple of years now and my wife kindly got me a bottle for Christmas, not tried it yet but looking forward to it.......

Let us know how you get on. It's quite unusual. Lavender is just one of the quite floral notes that I get on the nose. Makes a good Aviation (as expected), probably precisely because of this. I wasn't so keen in a plain gin and tonic, but I do like it on its own. Interesting Negroni too, although you have to work at it.

Hi Broussard, well I'm trying it out currently as a G&T with lime, very smooth, floral and clean tasting with a very clear anise taste and an appealing oiliness to it. Not as strong tasting as I was expecting, much more subtle but I take that as a good thing.

Looking forward to trying it neat with ice and as an aviation cocktail.

Overall I'm very happy with it.

Craftsman

Probably excessive...

Just been linked to this. Probably wouldn't want tonic.
    http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/20...ost-expensive/

I love a g&t. Tried loads: sipsmith, Martin Miller, aviation, tanq, Hendricks, beefeater, tried some different fever tree tonics as well.

Gin snobs may turn their nose up, and say I'm not a "proper" gin drinker, but my favourite is still Bombay Sapphire and Schweppes. Ice and lime if available.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    I love a g&t. Tried loads: sipsmith, Martin Miller, aviation, tanq, Hendricks, beefeater, tried some different fever tree tonics as well.

Gin snobs may turn their nose up, and say I'm not a "proper" gin drinker, but my favourite is still Bombay Sapphire and Schweppes. Ice and lime if available.
    I wouldn't really count myself a gin snob (SWMBO would say otherwise as there's currently 15 or so bottles on the shelf) but did have a very pleasant New Year on Bombay Martinis. Really like the Eastern edition one.

Recently go some tanqueray 10 from duty free last time I left trinidad, got 2 bottles at £12 each. Never tried the stuff before but it's rather nice. Would reccommend it for a try, need to get some of that tonic you all mention usually just use cheap stuff which does kinda ruin it a little

Just been given a bottle of Tanqueray's Limited Edition Bloomsbury gin - the last gin made by Tim Nicholl. But as it's signed, I probably won't be drinking it; who knows when gin might undergo a whisky-esque transformation that sees prices for "limited" bottlings reach ludicrous levels...

Probably.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cici View Post
    Found that Waitrose are now selling packs of 8x150ml cans of Fever Tree....

Celebrated with two tonight .... and a dash of gin of course :-)
    I think the larger sainsburys and tescos also stock the 8x150ml cans, but I am going to try an Amazon order of the bottles next I think.

Got a couple of bottles of Whitley Neill for Christmas and have been enjoying a few G&T's with a new gin!!

I think the larger sainsburys and tescos also stock the 8x150ml cans, but I am going to try an Amazon order of the bottles next I think.

Got a couple of bottles of Whitley Neill for Christmas and have been enjoying a few G&T's with a new gin!!
    that's one gin I've been meaning to try for a while... what's it like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cici View Post
    that's one gin I've been meaning to try for a while... what's it like?
    It's a bit lighter than a Tanqueray or export Gordon's, slightly fragrant, but not overly. I think the mother in law picked it up in LIDL for £19.

Worth a try....

Master
    I tried Sipsmith over xmas, which was very good. (They also do a sloe gin which really hits the spot - less sweet and syrupy than the standard brands.)

I like Sipsmith's vodka, I might have to give their gin a go too.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Also this is made very local to me

http://www.burleighsgin.com/
    And me..
    Have you tried their new Gin Bar in Leicester City Centre?

In the summer I like a large gin, a half measure of elderflower cordial (or St Germain if you want to pay for it!), a squeeze of lime and topped up with tonic over a lot of ice. It's very refreshing.

Journeyman
    I've seen it mentioned before but Botanist is very good... try it with Fever Tree tonic and some pink grapefruit... delicious!

Journeyman
    I second the Botanist from Islay. Enjoyed a bittle this Christmas period. Even non big gin drinkers. Enjoyed the tastes. Its a "Tasty" drink