closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The perect G&T?

Tried Martin Millers today with a slush of Fever Tree (left in freezer a few mins too long) - rubbed the glass with lemon as advised in earlier thread....

Exquisite!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    My current favourite Gin & Tonic:

A canadian gin I found in the tax-free at BKK airport.

Fever tree:

And:

A few thin slices of cucumber (or one longer slice, thicker).

Makes a really refreshing G&T, highly recommend it!
    Where can I find this gin in the UK?

Resurrecting this thread largely due to the vast array of gins you can find in most good bars and supermarkets now.

I am still a massive fan of export strength Gordon's (the 47% stuff you get in duty free shops and Spanish supermarkets) and brought back a couple of litres from our most recent hols. I was also recently treated to a bottle of Brecon Gin (Penderyn - them who make the Welsh malt whisky) which is rather good. Fever Tree is still the best tonic I've had but Tescos sell 4 can packs of their Finest tonic which is remarkably good.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    Resurrecting this thread largely due to the vast array of gins you can find in most good bars and supermarkets now.

I am still a massive fan of export strength Gordon's (the 47% stuff you get in duty free shops and Spanish supermarkets) and brought back a couple of litres from our most recent hols. I was also recently treated to a bottle of Brecon Gin (Penderyn - them who make the Welsh malt whisky) which is rather good. Fever Tree is still the best tonic I've had but Tescos sell 4 can packs of their Finest tonic which is remarkably good.
    Must try that next time in duty free! It does sound good

Speaking of "47", just got a bottle of Monkey 47 - 47 proof, 47 botanicals and invented apparently in... 1947

Very special with fever tree but almost too much - will go back to something simpler when we finish the bottle

Currently open:
    - East London Batch 2 and their London Dry (Bow, E3)
    - Juniper Green
    - Whitley Neil
    - Gordons Export
    - Tanq 10
    - Stone Pine (Aus)
    - Crater Lake (Bend, OR)
    - Caorunn
    - Crossbill (Argyll)
    - Blackwoods 2012 40
    - Bathtub
    - Aviation (Portland, OR)
    - Little Bird
    - Spirit of London
    - Xoriguer (Menorca)
    - Sacred (Highgate, N6)

I have a bit of a *thing* for gin.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Currently open:
    - East London Batch 2 and their London Dry (Bow, E3)
    - Juniper Green
    - Whitley Neil
    - Gordons Export
    - Tanq 10
    - Stone Pine (Aus)
    - Crater Lake (Bend, OR)
    - Caorunn
    - Crossbill (Argyll)
    - Blackwoods 2012 40
    - Bathtub
    - Aviation (Portland, OR)
    - Little Bird
    - Spirit of London
    - Xoriguer (Menorca)
    - Sacred (Highgate, N6)

I have a bit of a *thing* for gin.
    Wow - that's incredible list!

Was trying to decide between Tanq 10, Caorunn and Whitely Neil next (rather than go back to Martin Millers for a change) - how do they measure up?

Had Ophir incidentally in the bar the other night - quite spicy

Quote Originally Posted by Cici View Post
    Must try that next time in duty free! It does sound good

Speaking of "47", just got a bottle of Monkey 47 - 47 proof, 47 botanicals and invented apparently in... 1947

Very special with fever tree but almost too much - will go back to something simpler when we finish the bottle
    47 Proof? That would be 23.5% alcohol, no? Can't be right for Gin.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    47 Proof? That would be 23.5% alcohol, no? Can't be right for Gin.

Gary
    Ha - you're right of course - would be very dull gin

47% of course in this case

Craftsman
    Try this if you get a chance

https://glasgowdistillery.com/makar-gin

Quote Originally Posted by RJS View Post
    Try this if you get a chance

https://glasgowdistillery.com/makar-gin
    Thanks! Will keep an eye out for that - looks intriguing from the website

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    My current favourite Gin & Tonic:

A canadian gin I found in the tax-free at BKK airport.

Fever tree:

Going to pick some up tomorrow

And:

A few thin slices of cucumber (or one longer slice, thicker).

Makes a really refreshing G&T, highly recommend it!
    Will look out for that at BKK a tomorrow, cheers for the heads up
    Last edited by Middo; 4th April 2015 at 13:30.

Wow - that's incredible list!

Was trying to decide between Tanq 10, Caorunn and Whitely Neil next (rather than go back to Martin Millers for a change) - how do they measure up?

Tanq 10 is a classic. Brilliant all rounder. Great in a Martini and Negroni.
    Caorunn is great with a proper tonic, maybe a slice of apple as they suggest.
    I just can't get on with the WN at all.

what about mix ratios ?

i tend to go for 3 gin to 1 tonic, no ice and a slice of lime - if the gin and the mixer have been in the fridge then no ice needed.

brands - i like tanq and sapphire and recently the neighboirs hendersons.
    big fan of xoringuer and cloudy lemonade too.

was put off gordons years ago but this may have been more the fault of bad tonic than the gin.

have just remembered a works party in japan that ended in shots of neat plymouth gin - no tonic for a couple dozen miles back then. we had finished all my duty free malt over the preceeding weeks and the only other option was wild turkey. not had plymputh since :-)
    Last edited by bigbaddes; 4th April 2015 at 20:04.

Got to be Hendricks followed by Mahon Gin from Minorca...

Adnams Norfolk Gin... it is fantastic. Bought some almost by accident last year while on a Broads holiday as the shop was out of anything I knew. Best decision I ever got forced into :-)

William's Chase is beautiful, then Hendricks for me...

Spent a happy afternoon at the Manchester Gin Festival last weekend, a late Christmas prezzie from the missus.

Had my eyes opened and socks blown off, by Blackwoods 60, sounds too strong to be pleasant but with a decent tonic and a sprig of mint it was ace :)

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    William's Chase is beautiful, then Hendricks for me...
    Was looking at that on the shelf of waitrose today wondering what it was like - might have to try it!

Was looking at that on the shelf of waitrose today wondering what it was like - might have to try it!
    Slight apple hints, and very very nice!

Quality - will get that next when I finish this Monkey 47
    What tonic would you use - fever tree?

Have been experimenting with their broad range, but someone mentioned Fentimans to me so now am confused :-)

The Chase Marmalade vodka incidentally was lovely neat...

Apprentice
    My current gin selection.

Got to say the Berry Bros No. 3 is one of my absolute favorites. The Bloom is great too, but a little on the floral side for a perfect G&T. I wouldn't put the Edinburgh Gin Rasberry with Tonic, but its great with Prosecco or sparkling wine.

I tend to go on the basis that a complex botanical gin matches well with a simple tonic, and a straight up London dry with more complex tonics like Fever Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by crichtonjpa View Post
    My current gin selection.

Got to say the Berry Bros No. 3 is one of my absolute favorites. The Bloom is great too, but a little on the floral side for a perfect G&T. I wouldn't put the Edinburgh Gin Rasberry with Tonic, but its great with Prosecco or sparkling wine.

I tend to go on the basis that a complex botanical gin matches well with a simple tonic, and a straight up London dry with more complex tonics like Fever Tree.
    I love both Martin millers and no. 3 (was on offer in sainsburys recently which was nice touch)
    Was going to ask if anyone had a bottle of Portabello - I see it on your well stocked shelf - what's it like?

The owner was doing sampling in Canary Wharf last year and I remember loving it (but that was after a feed of post work G&ts so can't trust my memory :-) he was grating lemon rind into the tonic interestingly

Apprentice
    The Portobello is great. Its a no nonsense gin that works in most things (G&T included). I picked it up after a ginstitute day at the Portobello star (Home pub of its creators, who i think you ran into in Canary Wharf), which i can highly recommend to fill an afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by crichtonjpa View Post
    The Portobello is great. Its a no nonsense gin that works in most things (G&T included). I picked it up after a ginstitute day at the Portobello star (Home pub of its creators, who i think you ran into in Canary Wharf), which i can highly recommend to fill an afternoon.
    That sounds wicked! Will definitely have to try that

Tried them all over the years, but settled on this for the last 20 years....
    Sometimes like this....

....more usually like this...

...and just in case I forget when to pour the first one of the day...

Grand Master
    Just emptied a cupboard and whilst I have a choice of Gin I have no Tonic! Schoolboy error

RIAC

Tanqueray 10 + Fever Tree Tonic + slice of lime + plenty of ice

The perect G&T?

Excluding the usual suspects, Gordon's, Bombay, my favourite gins tried so far are:
    Monkey 47
    Sipsmith
    Hendricks
    Beefeater 24

To try:
    Bathtub,
    Ginmare
    No. 3

Won't go near ever again:
    Williams Chase - the most disgusting gin I have ever tasted. In fact, no one liked it, wife, friends, Dad so it end up down the sink!

Oh and haven't found any better tonic that Fever Tree light!

Plus one on lime instead of lemon in a G&T.

We are stuck in a Bombay rut, partly because we have about 5l in at any given time. One of my wife's suppliers keeps buying her a bottle ay Xmas, which is nice. We have been thinking of holding a gin-off, so some top tips for other to try, and note the tales of dunked evenings above. But no one has mentioned French 75s - it's a killer gin based cocktail, slightly off piste I know but ...

Served in a champagne flute (all drinks chilled):
    A teaspoon of sugar syrup,
    A measure of Gin,
    A squeeze of a fresh lemon,
    Top up with Champagne.

It's makes for a fabulous laughter filled evening. Have some uppers on hand for when the hangerver kicks in - it was no fun :(

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

To try:
    Bathtub,
    Ginmare
    No. 3
    !
    Had Gin Mare recently in a bar - came with its own tonic ("1724 tonic" made by same company apparently) and a sprig of Rosemary!

Very special, if somewhat startling ... Like Monkey 47 in that respect I think

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair72 View Post
    Plus one on lime instead of lemon in a G&T.

We are stuck in a Bombay rut, partly because we have about 5l in at any given time. One of my wife's suppliers keeps buying her a bottle ay Xmas, which is nice. We have been thinking of holding a gin-off, so some top tips for other to try, and note the tales of dunked evenings above. But no one has mentioned French 75s - it's a killer gin based cocktail, slightly off piste I know but ...

Served in a champagne flute (all drinks chilled):
    A teaspoon of sugar syrup,
    A measure of Gin,
    A squeeze of a fresh lemon,
    Top up with Champagne.

It's makes for a fabulous laughter filled evening. Have some uppers on hand for when the hangerver kicks in - it was no fun :(
    Going to try that - sounds like a posh Tom Collins!

Had Gin Mare recently in a bar - came with its own tonic ("1724 tonic" made by same company apparently) and a sprig of Rosemary!

Very special, if somewhat startling ... Like Monkey 47 in that respect I think
    Had the same in my local, who now have a gin section? Cool I guess...

Best I ever had was in The althoff hotel outside cologne, standard Bombay, but the tonic was small batch produced locally, I must get the name of it... Served with large cube of clear ice...was special.

My goto gin is Tanq 10, just works for me... Beefeater 24 was good also!

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Had the same in my local, who now have a gin section? Cool I guess...

Best I ever had was in The althoff hotel outside cologne, standard Bombay, but the tonic was small batch produced locally, I must get the name of it... Served with large cube of clear ice...was special.

My goto gin is Tanq 10, just works for me... Beefeater 24 was good also!
    Strange how all the bars have secretly been beefing up their Gin shelves ... it is really popular now I guess
    And not just here - I was back home in Ireland, in a small bar, where I assumed it would be all 'Cork dry gin' (which isn't bad to be fair), but they had Hendricks with sliced cucumber and all!

That German tonic sounds great - it is 3/4 of the drink to be fair so good tonic can make it

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

Won't go near ever again:
    Williams Chase - the most disgusting gin I have ever tasted. In fact, no one liked it, wife, friends, Dad so it end up down the sink!

Oh and haven't found any better tonic that Fever Tree light!
    You know what I thought the same, I actually thought my tastebuds or Gin tollerance had gone it was shocking
    RIAC

lazy today so just ...

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    You know what I thought the same, I actually thought my tastebuds or Gin tollerance had gone it was shocking
    Thank goodness we are not alone. I didn't think it tasted like Gin at all!

I made that mistake and keep reading that bottle as 'Ophir' rather than 'Opihr'. I haven't had it yet but you can smell the spices in it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    what about mix ratios ?

big fan of xoringuer and cloudy lemonade too.

I mix a large gin with 125ml tonic in a glass full of ice. I don't want it so cold that the drink loses its flavour but the low temperatures help keep the fizz in the drink.

I was given a Xoriguer and lemon Fanta in Menorca last summer, never again.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    I made that mistake and keep reading that bottle as 'Ophir' rather than 'Opihr'. I haven't had it yet but you can smell the spices in it. .
    ha - that is classic - never noticed that! No idea now how to pronounce it :-)

we went for desk drinks to All Bar One the other night for someone's birthday and everyone was happy with my suggestion of Opihr G&Ts - even those who normally prefer Hendricks - a gingery fiery kick I think

Email back from the German hotel... The tonic was apparently 'Le Roc' tonic, now to find a way to buy some in the UK

Don't seem to remeber the bottle having a label? So maybe they buy unbranded bottles..... Will fire another email back at them, if it was this stuff, it was sublime!

Email back from the German hotel... The tonic was apparently 'Le Roc' tonic, now to find a way to buy some in the UK

Don't seem to remeber the bottle having a label? So maybe they buy unbranded bottles..... Will fire another email back at them, if it was this stuff, it was sublime!
    Thanks! Having a look at how to get some in London! Would love to try it...

Master
    Spent almost all of yesterday on the deck re-reading Bill Bryson books in the sun lubricated with Tanqueray and Fever Tree - and our new experiment Tanqueray, Fever Tree tonic and a wee dashette of Fever Tree Ginger Ale -lurvely.

Took the bicycle to the office this morning just in case :-)

Thanks! Having a look at how to get some in London! Would love to try it...
    Let me know if you find a supplier...have been searched the web they call the Internet ...no success so far

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Spent almost all of yesterday on the deck re-reading Bill Bryson books in the sun lubricated with Tanqueray and Fever Tree - and our new experiment Tanqueray, Fever Tree tonic and a wee dashette of Fever Tree Ginger Ale -lurvely.

Took the bicycle to the office this morning just in case :-)
    Bill Bryson, love his books, so many times when reading i burst out laughing like a mad man....

One of my best memories is reading 'Down Under' whilst travelling around Australia for 6 months...

12 years ago! Shocking how time flies...

Let me know if you find a supplier...have been searched the web they call the Internet ...no success so far
    Seems impossible right! Must be very popular over there - even the German sites don't seem to want to sell it online!
    Going to look in Selfridges next time I am there - their drinks hall has absolutely everything if you're willing to pay :-)

Craftsman
    Greenalls is a nice flavoured Gin as is one from Wales called Botanics I think. They are making one in the Lake District so am looking forward to that one. Slice of lime plus good tonic and plenty of ice. I drink mine out of a very large glass, I think its a soda glass from Tesco, can get plenty of ice in, like a small bucket

Seems impossible right! Must be very popular over there - even the German sites don't seem to want to sell it online!
    Going to look in Selfridges next time I am there - their drinks hall has absolutely everything if you're willing to pay :-)
    Either out of stock or unavailable. Keep me posted on your quest buddy :)

Either out of stock or unavailable. Keep me posted on your quest buddy :)
    It's an awful male trait but it has become an 'indiana jones-style quest' now :-)
    Was sitting there today reasoning to myself "my mate in Liechtenstein - his wife is German - she'll surely be able to post some right?" :-)

will mail you one if I manage to get some at some point

It's an awful male trait but it has become an 'indiana jones-style quest' now :-)
    Was sitting there today reasoning to myself "my mate in Liechtenstein - his wife is German - she'll surely be able to post some right?" :-)

will mail you one if I manage to get some at some point
    Que Indiana theme tune.... Lol

I'm exactly the same mate!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just cracking on with Plymouth gin navy strength with fever tree, very nice indeed!!!