closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 251 to 286 of 286

Thread: The perect G&T?

  1. #251
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    3,109
    Blog Entries
    1
    For those who like a gin and need a little inspiration when stuck indoors.

    https://thegintomytonic.com/shop/the...mixed-gin-box/

  2. #252
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    2,098
    Working my way through this and finding it v nice with just ice and fever tree. Good value for £30. I like more floral gins.

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

  3. #253
    Image1584905422.830411.jpg

    My current collection, the Drumshambo Gunpowder Irish Gin being the favourite


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  4. #254
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I found it a bit disappointing. Decent, but I didnít buy another one.

    However I am extremely partial to my latest discovery, a Japanese gin called Roku.
    Superb with fever treeís Mediterranean tonic.
    Bit of thread resurrection, but was looking for some ideas for a new gin. Current favourite is Roku with Med Tonic as above. Lovely stuff.

  5. #255
    This stuff, Cadenhead's Old Raj, is simply the best I've ever had: https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/sco...cadenhead-gin/

    A close second place is the Drumshanbo Gunpowder gin.

  6. #256
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,160
    I had a Gin Advent calender last year and this was the standout gin that I intend to buy a full bottle of:
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/new...n-company-gin/

  7. #257
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    506
    Drumshanbo is fantastic stuff

    I also enjoy Masons Yorkshire gin and Rocky

    Tarquins navy strength is great as well

  8. #258
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    500

    Rangpur

    Tanqueray Rangpur rates highly on my list- you will need to like a lime taste ,seems quite hard to find in most supermarkets but Asda stocks sometimes. Tonic of choice ,ice and no extras- nice.

  9. #259
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Posts
    217
    Bombay is pretty much basic for me but I really do love Monkey 47. Anyone else tried?

  10. #260
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Posts
    406
    Tanqueray Malacca is you can find it. I havenít been able to for a while.

    Tonic usually plain light Fever Tree

    And lastly recently been serving it with half a passion fruit scooped in. Great on a summers day!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #261
    Journeyman Longwool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
    Bombay is pretty much basic for me but I really do love Monkey 47. Anyone else tried?
    Monkey 47 is absolute nectar. If you havenít tried it make sure you do, youíll thank me


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #262
    I like Masons gin, their lavender version isnít bad either.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #263
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwool View Post
    Monkey 47 is absolute nectar. If you havenít tried it make sure you do, youíll thank me


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh, I tried, emptied 2 bottles.
    Recent acquisitions are Whitley Neill rhubarb and ginger, beefeater blood orange and beefeater 24.

  14. #264
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    361
    Brokers Gin is an excellent london gin and well worth having in the collection.


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  15. #265
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
    This stuff, Cadenhead's Old Raj, is simply the best I've ever had: https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/sco...cadenhead-gin/

    A close second place is the Drumshanbo Gunpowder gin.
    Bought a bottle of Old Raj 55%. Wow lovely stuff gone down very easily with lots of ice and Fevertree Med.

  16. #266
    What should i buy if i like a sharp citrus/juniper/classic gin flavour thatís quite up front and perhaps has that clinging resinous/alcohol aftertaste. this is for a straight G n T and not one of those huge goblets full of ice and tonic you get in pubs where you cannot taste the gin. i usually have a finger of gin/4 ice cubes, slice and half of one of those little cans of fever tree, donít want to increase the amount of gin as i canít drink lots of alcohol but do like to taste the the actual alcohol content. I guess iím after a slightly unsubtle classic gin thatís full of flavour.

    Currently on Tanquery and Gordons. Used to drink Bombay years ago but find iím drinking more GnT and Negroni now so might try that again.
    looking for a £20-£30 bottle.

  17. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    What should i buy if i like a sharp citrus/juniper/classic gin flavour thatís quite up front and perhaps has that clinging resinous/alcohol aftertaste. this is for a straight G n T and not one of those huge goblets full of ice and tonic you get in pubs where you cannot taste the gin. i usually have a finger of gin/4 ice cubes, slice and half of one of those little cans of fever tree, donít want to increase the amount of gin as i canít drink lots of alcohol but do like to taste the the actual alcohol content. I guess iím after a slightly unsubtle classic gin thatís full of flavour.

    Currently on Tanquery and Gordons. Used to drink Bombay years ago but find iím drinking more GnT and Negroni now so might try that again.
    looking for a £20-£30 bottle.
    Bombay has no discernible juniper - and is hardly a gin, in my opinion (but I'm almost always wrong). Sipsmith London Dry probably fits the bill. Sacred Gin is also very good.

  18. #268
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,173
    Iím by no means a gin expert and like to make it a long drink - had a couple of bottles of this and itís my favourite
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thomas-Daki.../dp/B013H2V81C

  19. #269
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    215
    Sounds like you need to try Sipsmiths VJOP... it's a bit over budget but very good!

  20. #270
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    3,109
    Blog Entries
    1
    Have a look at cuckoo solace gin

  21. #271
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    116
    I can highly recommend Whittakers - bloody lovely stuff

    Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

  22. #272
    thanks, plenty to go on there, the Thomas Dakin one sounds interesting especially with the horseradish.

  23. #273
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,961
    Until Lockdown I wasn't a gin drinker - really due to excessive consumption events as a teenager and then again in my early 20s. I was very aware of the explosion of craft gins etc and thought it must be a curse to like gin as there were now so many choices, maybe too much choice.

    For whatever reason during lockdown I had a few G&Ts and that was me hooked. I think the catalyst was a bottle of Twisted Nose from a relative who lives in Hampshire next to the watercress beds they use to flavour the gin.

    That led to the next few years sampling various gins, learning the ones I really like and ultimately discovering the ONE that I would choose above all others.

    Interestingly the ones I shortlist mostly have some form of personal connection with the location and a few have bottles that reasonate with me and I suspect influence some of the perceptions.

    My personal shortlist includes:
    Twisted Nose https://www.winchesterdistillery.co....isted-nose-gin
    Scilly Spirit Island Gin https://www.scillyspirit.com/islandgin
    Mermaid https://isleofwightdistillery.com/pages/mermaid-gin

    But my winner is Cotswolds Dry Gin. They model it on a London Dry style and the botanicals are drawn from the local area in the Cotswolds - close to where I lived for a few years. There's an intensity to the flavours and the oils make the drink cloudy when tonic is added. https://www.cotswoldsdistillery.com/...swolds-dry-gin

    I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet and I would recommend trying it.

    PS for full disclosure I am a (very very minor) shareholder in Costwolds Distillery but that was motivated by their whiskey at the time and preceded my gin drinking phase.

  24. #274
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    3,109
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cotswold is really nice. I have a mate in the Gin business and she rates Silent Pool as top dog.

    There is something for every pallet. As long time gin drinker, k canít get key head around some of the prices for the so called artisan brews these days.

  25. #275
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    18,745
    Cotswold is exceedingly good, one of my all time favourites. I'm doing a distillery tour later this year - looking forward to it.
    Best Regards - Peter

    I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

  26. #276
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Cotswold is really nice. I have a mate in the Gin business and she rates Silent Pool as top dog.

    There is something for every pallet. As long time gin drinker, k canít get key head around some of the prices for the so called artisan brews these days.
    I've bought lots of Silent Pool as gifts - it's a very flavoursome gin.

    Need to try Old Raj too now.

  27. #277
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    361
    Try Brokers if you like london gin.


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  28. #278
    gins are easy to flavour yourself - if you want citrus just find a gin you like and add a few strips of orange /lemon peel (make sure all white pith is removed ) , let it sit in the bottle for a week and try it.
    you can also make an unusual looking gin using blue butterfly pea flowers (get on amazon) - soak in the gin and you will have a vibrant blue drink - if you make some ice cubes with fresh lemon juice added to the water and put them in the acid in the lemon juice will make the drink turn from blue to purple/red as they melt.
    Last edited by pugster; 26th June 2022 at 13:22.

  29. #279
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Italy/UK
    Posts
    176
    Isle of Harris gin. From a non expert of G&T.

  30. #280
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Stourbridge, UK
    Posts
    105
    I have just started to enjoy a G&T.
    Have a bottle of Tarquins Cornish Dry (the one in the Blue bottle).
    To my inexperienced palette this seems nice with fever tree.
    Can I do better than this in the same price range?

    Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

  31. #281
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    3,109
    Blog Entries
    1
    For those who like Harris Gin, Lidl have their own version in stock for £20.

    Coast of Aquine sea kelp- even has a snazzy ribbed bottle.

    Not tried it yet though

  32. #282
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    3,109
    Blog Entries
    1

  33. #283
    Master Dr Wolff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,077
    Have been gifted some Fort gin (Fort Cumberland, the Portsmouth Distillery). Only available on-line, or if you are lucky enough to live in Petersfield, the local winestore (owned by a former director of the distillery). Definitely worth hunting a bottle down.
    My family know I love the stuff so there is competition to come up with the most exotic and eclectic brands, especially if they come in an interesting bottle. One such gin came out of the bottle blue and turned purple when the tonic was added!
    Otherwise like Tanqueray, Roku etc

  34. #284
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    26,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Have been gifted some Fort gin (Fort Cumberland, the Portsmouth Distillery). Only available on-line, or if you are lucky enough to live in Petersfield, the local winestore (owned by a former director of the distillery). Definitely worth hunting a bottle down.
    My family know I love the stuff so there is competition to come up with the most exotic and eclectic brands, especially if they come in an interesting bottle. One such gin came out of the bottle blue and turned purple when the tonic was added!
    Otherwise like Tanqueray, Roku etc
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    ...you can also make an unusual looking gin using blue butterfly pea flowers (get on amazon) - soak in the gin and you will have a vibrant blue drink - if you make some ice cubes with fresh lemon juice added to the water and put them in the acid in the lemon juice will make the drink turn from blue to purple/red as they melt.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  35. #285
    Master Dr Wolff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,077
    Well, there you go! Every day a school day.

    I am intrigued to know what extras everyone adds and to which gin. One recent suggestion was a sprig of rosemary and also lemongrass. Both were very nice. Unfortunately, I can't remember which gin they were supposed to go with (Doh!)

  36. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    thanks, plenty to go on there, the Thomas Dakin one sounds interesting especially with the horseradish.
    Went for the Thomas Dakin in the end, really good choice for a straight up GnT, they recommend orange peel bit i only have lemon, big flavours but quite soft, you can taste the horseradish but it doesnít have the heat.
    Great accompanied with plain crisps and some olives, will be good as a martini, donít think itís negroni gin though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information