closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The perect G&T?

The perect G&T?

For the past five years or so I can not remember buying any other gin than Hendrick's. Although it is a fantastic gin at a reasonable price, some versatility would be nice. What other brands are out there that are worth trying?

Also, the tonic is important. I usually end up with Schweppes because it is the only kind they have at smaller super markets i Sweden. Some times I have bought different flavours of Fever Tree and a few others. I sometimes wish I had a tonic with a stronger kinin flavour. What are you preferring?

Cucumber, are there any variations?

Ice or no ice? I use a lot of ice.

(misspelled the heading, sorry...)
    Last edited by _jonte; 15th October 2013 at 14:16.

Craftsman
    1/3 g'vine. 1/4 of a lemon. 2/3 schweppes.

I went to a gin bar in newcastle a couple months ago, tried about 10 different gins (ranging from 37.5% - 60%)... some were amazing and some not so much... sadly, I ended up completely hammered and couldn't remember what was what - back to square one, next time I'll take pen and paper!

If not using g'vine, I stick to fever trees (they do a nice elderflower version too).

Master
    seagrams gin, fentimans tonic water, slice of lime, Ice and retire to the Bullingdon Club.

Craftsman
    My theory is that if you buy good gin (like hendricks) then you should pair it with cheaper (but reasonable) tonics that don't obscure the subtle flavours that you get in quality gins. If, however, you buy cheaper gins (Gordons or cheaper), then using a quality tonic (like fever Tree) will enhance the drink as a whole.

Craftsman
    Try The Botanist from the Bruichladdich distillery on Islay, absolutely lovely. Made in small batches and slow distilled using the classic gin aromatics – orris root, cassia bark, coriander seed, etc and 22 local wild growing botanicals from Islay. It's good enough to be drunk on it's own with ice, but if drinking with tonic I'd go for the proportions mentioned above with a very thin slice of lime and Schweppes.

Cheers!

Ian

Master
    I love a G&T and have tried many combinations of gins and tonics.
    To be honest, I've enjoyed them all.
    The only things I do insist on are lots of ice and a slice of lime. Never lemon.

Master
    I'm a fan of hendricks but am going to try this next.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/prof...h/bathtub-gin/

This stuff:

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product...29996011&dnr=y

Lemon or lime, ice, tonic of choice. Fever Tree is alright, so is Schweppes.
    "A man of little significance"

I started to experiment this summer with different gins, which turned out to be boozy and expensive, with 3 or 4 bottles on the go - If I'd didn't like one particular brand, I'd get through it quickly to try something else. Of the mainstream offerings, Beefeater was surprisingly good, Tanqueray average (but disappointing), Bombay Sapphire made an awful G & T.

The complete surprise was Aldi's offering :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...slice-out.html

Thankfully for my wallet and body, the summer came to an end and I've switched to red wine

http://www.theginblog.co.uk/home/2011/09/bathtub-gin/
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 15th October 2013 at 14:24.

Master
    Been on the gin for years. Long before it was back en vogue. Have tried all supermarket and many boutique gins. Plymouth is still my favourite. Tanqueray 10 is pretty nice as well.

2 fingers of Plymouth. No ice. No tonic.

:cheers

Quote Originally Posted by birchgra View Post
    My theory is that if you buy good gin (like hendricks) then you should pair it with cheaper (but reasonable) tonics that don't obscure the subtle flavours that you get in quality gins. If, however, you buy cheaper gins (Gordons or cheaper), then using a quality tonic (like fever Tree) will enhance the drink as a whole.
    Interesting thinking. I must say I prefer Schweppes with Hendrick's over Fever Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by brownip View Post
    Try The Botanist from the Bruichladdich distillery on Islay, absolutely lovely. Made in small batches and slow distilled using the classic gin aromatics – orris root, cassia bark, coriander seed, etc and 22 local wild growing botanicals from Islay. It's good enough to be drunk on it's own with ice, but if drinking with tonic I'd go for the proportions mentioned above with a very thin slice of lime and Schweppes.

Cheers!

Ian
    Will try that one. 20% cheaper than Hendrick's (in Sweden) too it seems, that's good!
    Last edited by _jonte; 15th October 2013 at 14:41.

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    I'm a fan of hendricks but am going to try this next.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/prof...h/bathtub-gin/
    Good reviews on that one. Doesn't seem to be available in Sweden, but will be stopping at Schipol for a couple of hours in two weeks. Hopefully I can find it there. Can anybody confirm?

Craftsman
    Sipsmiths, with Fentimans, ice and a twist of lemon peel - at Barista in Munich. They had another one in a furry bottle, the name escapes me but it was certainly a talking point.......

The wife won't allow anything other than Bombay Sapphire in the house.

Strangely enough I only drink it when I'm on board an aircraft.
    Last edited by bigvic; 15th October 2013 at 15:10.

In a pub I drink beer.
    At home I like a G&T , but only at home, never in a pub, I don't like the way they pour them - barely enough to get the glass wet.

I was in Spain last week, and in the bars there they put in some ice, then 'up-end' a Gin bottle so there's barely enough room for the Tonic.
    That's the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mushk1n View Post
    1/3 g'vine. 1/4 of a lemon. 2/3 schweppes.
    Lemon in G&T - How vulgar?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Lemon in G&T - How vulgar?
    possibly. i like it, though.

I saw a few worthies in a pub in Ayr drinking Hendricks, Nordic Mist tonic & a slice of cucumber. 35ml gin, a third of the little split of tonic &
    the cucumber. I had a few & very nice they were too.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I saw a few worthies in a pub in Ayr drinking Hendricks, Nordic Mist tonic & a slice of cucumber. 35ml gin, a third of the little split of tonic &
    I have actually never tried the Nordic Mist tonic. Will have to find me some bottles! :)

I got shouted at once by a friend for the way I treated the Bombay Sapphire he had given me. I normally drink Gordon's but he felt he needed to educate me. So I prepared it the way I normally do- ice cubes in the glass, pour over three fingers of gin, cut a lime into quarters, squeeze one quarter into the gin and drop the squeezed quarter in, top up with tonic- generally Schweppes and give it all a quick stir. He told me off because he felt the lime and tonic would overpower the gin and instead suggested I drink the gin with ice only. I tried it that way but couldn't get on with it.

Master
    It is all in the mixing:

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    It is all in the mixing:

Yep, that's the way they pour it in Spain!

Master
    Bombay sapphire, schweppes tonic, ice and lime make the perfect G&T for me. Occasionally add a dash of angostura bitters

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brownip View Post

Cheers!

Ian
    Agreed on The Botanist. I did a gin tasting recently and this was the favourite of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Hendricks is actually a local brew in Ayrshire, it's made in the Grants distillery in Girvan about 20 miles south of Ayr. I've had guys visit my plant nearby who've asked if they've a factory shop where they can buy Hendricks for their significant others. Unfortunately not however.

Master
    We've become massive fans of Brecon gin in the last year or so - lovely stuff made in Wales. Really clean, refreshing taste. Normally served with Schweppes tonic and a slice of lime and slice of lemon, and ice.

Fabulous!

Master
    I've always been a G&T fan, seem to be able to drink unlimited quantities. My usual mix at home is a big old slug of Beefeater, then look around the fridge to see what tonic is still a bit fizzy(might be Schweppes or own brand), rummage round for a shrivelled lemon in the salad drawer and cut a thick slice out of the middle, then cut and fold it over. Drop that in and check to see if there might be an ice cube or two left in the freezer (depends if anyone bothered renewing it), in with the ice, a quick stir and that is the classic version.

I like a nice G&T from time to time.

I'm also rather partial to a Gin and Bitter Lemon as well. An often overlooked tipple.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    An often overlooked tipple.
    For obvious reasons..........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Has anyone tried Boe gin? Its Scottish and bloody lovely.

How about tonics with more kinin flavour?

Plymouth Navy Strength is good. No ice, no fruit and whatever tonic water is in the fridge!

Craftsman
    Lots of Ice (not crushed, not cubes, that small stuff they do it posh bars) Lots of Bombay Sapphire, juice of half a lime, slice of lemon and lime and a bit of full fat tonic = job done!

Plymouth.

Failing that, No.3 or Beefeater.

If you're lucky you can still find old bottles of Plymouth in corner shops selling it for about £18. All the supermarkets now only have the new branded bottles which are about £26.

Tris

Have tried a number of different gins over the years including Hendricks which is a favourite but the one that does it for me is:

Sipsmith gin 50-70mls, tall glass lots of ice and slice of lime and then a small bottle of Fever Tree light.

A very flavourful tipple which is less sweet and lighter than using the full fat tonic

Another big vote for Plymouth Navy and Fever Tree. A great combination, just add ice and a slice

g&t

Nobody mentioned so far, but rim the glass with the lime first? (he said rim...)
    - I had a gordons rep come to out pub and teach how to make a "proper" g&t.
    wedge of lime, whizz it around the glass rim - she even brought special Gordon's
    glasses that were ridged at points to tear the lime.
    always done it that way since then, irrespective of gin or tonic brands.
    for me, it's lots of ice, lots of gin, lots of lime. Big glass (a pint of g&t is the mans version!)

Plymouth, The Botanist, Martin Millers and the London No1 are all excellent, but will regularly drink Bombay and Tanq. An Amsterdam Gin called Damrack if you can ever find it is also ver good.

Tonic from Fevertree and Club Royal are both great.

My mix is close to 1:3, ice, the larger the better as it melts slower and does not dilute the mix as much, and then a slice of lime.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Bombay sapphire, schweppes tonic, ice and lime make the perfect G&T for me.
    Exactly this but of late I've shifted across to Vodka but still do like the odd G&T - my head tends to hurt less with Vodka though.

A lot depends on the flavour profile of the gin, and as the definition of gin continues to broaden (Hoxton = predominantly coconut; Opihr = more cardamon; Whitley Neill = boabab / cape gooseberry) then I think you're going to see a few more people drinking it neat / over ice, or with other/different/new mixers, rather than just tonic. The fact that Fever Tree and others have widened their Tonic Water offerings tends to support this, as well as the nascent industry in quinine cordials. What almost everyone agrees upon is ice; gin is rarely drunk at room temperature.
    Last edited by Broussard; 17th October 2013 at 14:00.

It is a curious fact, and one to which no one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85% of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonnyx, or gee-N’N-T’N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand or more variations on the same phonetic theme.

The drinks themselves are not the same, and vary between the Sivolvian “chinanto/mnigs” which is ordinary water served at slightly above room temperature, and the Gagrakackan “tzjin-anthony-ks” which kills cows at a hundred paces; and in fact the one common factor between all of them, beyond the fact that the names sound the same, is that they were all invented and named before the worlds concerned made contact with any other worlds.

What can be made of this fact? It exists in total isolation. As far as any theory of structural linguistics is concerned it is right off the graph, and yet it persists. Old structural linguists get very angry when young structural linguists go on about it. Young structural linguists get deeply excited about it and stay up late at night convinced that they are very close to something of profound importance, and end up becoming old structural linguists before their time, getting very angry with the young ones. Structural linguistics is a bitterly divided and unhappy discipline, and a large number of its practitioners spend too many nights drowning their problems in Ouisghian Zodahs.

Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe​

No love for Tanqueray at all? Big fan of it myself, but also the Hendrick's.

Not into Gin myself, but her ladyship is. This was the selection that she had to choose from today

I don't know if there is anything unusual in this selection?

Craftsman
    Had some of the Caorunn at Christmas, served with apple rather than lemon/lime. Was really nice.

I quite enjoy the dryness of simple beefeater and tonic, no fruit!

Want to try the aldi gin 'Oliver Cromwell'. Has had some really good reviews and a very keen price.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    No love for Tanqueray at all? Big fan of it myself, but also the Hendrick's.

love Tanqueray, esp with schweppes, ice, lemon & limes in a tall glass.

Blog Entries
    Love a G&T... But, I tend to keep it simple... Bombay tastes of perfume and is really not to my taste

Not many votes for Gordon's on here, but, it gives you a nice honest G&T!

Half slice of lemon in the bottom with the gin... Fill with ice... Half slice on the top and a mini can of schweppes works every time for me!

Avoid the ice (dilutes the gin). Just keep the Gordon's and the tonic in the fridge and the sliced lemon or lime in the freezer.

Oh, and never, ever use "slimline" tonic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Not into Gin myself, but her ladyship is. This was the selection that she had to choose from today

I don't know if there is anything unusual in this selection?
    For a minute there mate I thought this was your cupboard! I nearly had the car started.

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    For a minute there mate I thought this was your cupboard! I nearly had the car started.
    My whisky cupboard is loaded like that Her ladyship is the Gin fan in these parts
    You can see in the picture where her purchased bottle of The Botanist came from.