closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The perect G&T?

Master
    Blog Entries
    For those who like a gin and need a little inspiration when stuck indoors.

https://thegintomytonic.com/shop/the...mixed-gin-box/

Working my way through this and finding it v nice with just ice and fever tree. Good value for £30. I like more floral gins.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Image1584905422.830411.jpg

My current collection, the Drumshambo Gunpowder Irish Gin being the favourite

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I found it a bit disappointing. Decent, but I didn’t buy another one.

However I am extremely partial to my latest discovery, a Japanese gin called Roku.
    Superb with fever tree’s Mediterranean tonic.
    Bit of thread resurrection, but was looking for some ideas for a new gin. Current favourite is Roku with Med Tonic as above. Lovely stuff.

This stuff, Cadenhead's Old Raj, is simply the best I've ever had: https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/sco...cadenhead-gin/

A close second place is the Drumshanbo Gunpowder gin.

Master
    I had a Gin Advent calender last year and this was the standout gin that I intend to buy a full bottle of:
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/new...n-company-gin/

Craftsman
    Drumshanbo is fantastic stuff

I also enjoy Masons Yorkshire gin and Rocky

Tarquins navy strength is great as well

Craftsman

Rangpur

Tanqueray Rangpur rates highly on my list- you will need to like a lime taste ,seems quite hard to find in most supermarkets but Asda stocks sometimes. Tonic of choice ,ice and no extras- nice.

Journeyman
    Bombay is pretty much basic for me but I really do love Monkey 47. Anyone else tried?

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Tanqueray Malacca is you can find it. I haven’t been able to for a while.

Tonic usually plain light Fever Tree

And lastly recently been serving it with half a passion fruit scooped in. Great on a summers day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
    Bombay is pretty much basic for me but I really do love Monkey 47. Anyone else tried?
    Monkey 47 is absolute nectar. If you haven’t tried it make sure you do, you’ll thank me

I like Masons gin, their lavender version isn’t bad either.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwool View Post
    Monkey 47 is absolute nectar. If you haven’t tried it make sure you do, you’ll thank me

Oh, I tried, emptied 2 bottles.
    Recent acquisitions are Whitley Neill rhubarb and ginger, beefeater blood orange and beefeater 24.

Craftsman
    Brokers Gin is an excellent london gin and well worth having in the collection.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
    This stuff, Cadenhead's Old Raj, is simply the best I've ever had: https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/sco...cadenhead-gin/

A close second place is the Drumshanbo Gunpowder gin.
    Bought a bottle of Old Raj 55%. Wow lovely stuff gone down very easily with lots of ice and Fevertree Med.

What should i buy if i like a sharp citrus/juniper/classic gin flavour that’s quite up front and perhaps has that clinging resinous/alcohol aftertaste. this is for a straight G n T and not one of those huge goblets full of ice and tonic you get in pubs where you cannot taste the gin. i usually have a finger of gin/4 ice cubes, slice and half of one of those little cans of fever tree, don’t want to increase the amount of gin as i can’t drink lots of alcohol but do like to taste the the actual alcohol content. I guess i’m after a slightly unsubtle classic gin that’s full of flavour.

Currently on Tanquery and Gordons. Used to drink Bombay years ago but find i’m drinking more GnT and Negroni now so might try that again.
    looking for a £20-£30 bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    What should i buy if i like a sharp citrus/juniper/classic gin flavour that’s quite up front and perhaps has that clinging resinous/alcohol aftertaste. this is for a straight G n T and not one of those huge goblets full of ice and tonic you get in pubs where you cannot taste the gin. i usually have a finger of gin/4 ice cubes, slice and half of one of those little cans of fever tree, don’t want to increase the amount of gin as i can’t drink lots of alcohol but do like to taste the the actual alcohol content. I guess i’m after a slightly unsubtle classic gin that’s full of flavour.

Currently on Tanquery and Gordons. Used to drink Bombay years ago but find i’m drinking more GnT and Negroni now so might try that again.
    looking for a £20-£30 bottle.
    Bombay has no discernible juniper - and is hardly a gin, in my opinion (but I'm almost always wrong). Sipsmith London Dry probably fits the bill. Sacred Gin is also very good.

Master
    I’m by no means a gin expert and like to make it a long drink - had a couple of bottles of this and it’s my favourite
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thomas-Daki.../dp/B013H2V81C

Journeyman
    Sounds like you need to try Sipsmiths VJOP... it's a bit over budget but very good!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at cuckoo solace gin

Journeyman
    I can highly recommend Whittakers - bloody lovely stuff

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

thanks, plenty to go on there, the Thomas Dakin one sounds interesting especially with the horseradish.

Master
    Until Lockdown I wasn't a gin drinker - really due to excessive consumption events as a teenager and then again in my early 20s. I was very aware of the explosion of craft gins etc and thought it must be a curse to like gin as there were now so many choices, maybe too much choice.

For whatever reason during lockdown I had a few G&Ts and that was me hooked. I think the catalyst was a bottle of Twisted Nose from a relative who lives in Hampshire next to the watercress beds they use to flavour the gin.

That led to the next few years sampling various gins, learning the ones I really like and ultimately discovering the ONE that I would choose above all others.

Interestingly the ones I shortlist mostly have some form of personal connection with the location and a few have bottles that reasonate with me and I suspect influence some of the perceptions.

My personal shortlist includes:
    Twisted Nose https://www.winchesterdistillery.co....isted-nose-gin
    Scilly Spirit Island Gin https://www.scillyspirit.com/islandgin
    Mermaid https://isleofwightdistillery.com/pages/mermaid-gin

But my winner is Cotswolds Dry Gin. They model it on a London Dry style and the botanicals are drawn from the local area in the Cotswolds - close to where I lived for a few years. There's an intensity to the flavours and the oils make the drink cloudy when tonic is added. https://www.cotswoldsdistillery.com/...swolds-dry-gin

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet and I would recommend trying it.

PS for full disclosure I am a (very very minor) shareholder in Costwolds Distillery but that was motivated by their whiskey at the time and preceded my gin drinking phase.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cotswold is really nice. I have a mate in the Gin business and she rates Silent Pool as top dog.

There is something for every pallet. As long time gin drinker, k can’t get key head around some of the prices for the so called artisan brews these days.

Cotswold is exceedingly good, one of my all time favourites. I'm doing a distillery tour later this year - looking forward to it.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Cotswold is really nice. I have a mate in the Gin business and she rates Silent Pool as top dog.

There is something for every pallet. As long time gin drinker, k can’t get key head around some of the prices for the so called artisan brews these days.
    I've bought lots of Silent Pool as gifts - it's a very flavoursome gin.

Need to try Old Raj too now.

Craftsman
    Try Brokers if you like london gin.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

gins are easy to flavour yourself - if you want citrus just find a gin you like and add a few strips of orange /lemon peel (make sure all white pith is removed ) , let it sit in the bottle for a week and try it.
    you can also make an unusual looking gin using blue butterfly pea flowers (get on amazon) - soak in the gin and you will have a vibrant blue drink - if you make some ice cubes with fresh lemon juice added to the water and put them in the acid in the lemon juice will make the drink turn from blue to purple/red as they melt.
    Last edited by pugster; 26th June 2022 at 13:22.

Craftsman
    Isle of Harris gin. From a non expert of G&T.

Journeyman
    I have just started to enjoy a G&T.
    Have a bottle of Tarquins Cornish Dry (the one in the Blue bottle).
    To my inexperienced palette this seems nice with fever tree.
    Can I do better than this in the same price range?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    For those who like Harris Gin, Lidl have their own version in stock for £20.

Coast of Aquine sea kelp- even has a snazzy ribbed bottle.

Not tried it yet though

Master
    Blog Entries

Have been gifted some Fort gin (Fort Cumberland, the Portsmouth Distillery). Only available on-line, or if you are lucky enough to live in Petersfield, the local winestore (owned by a former director of the distillery). Definitely worth hunting a bottle down.
    My family know I love the stuff so there is competition to come up with the most exotic and eclectic brands, especially if they come in an interesting bottle. One such gin came out of the bottle blue and turned purple when the tonic was added!
    Otherwise like Tanqueray, Roku etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Have been gifted some Fort gin (Fort Cumberland, the Portsmouth Distillery). Only available on-line, or if you are lucky enough to live in Petersfield, the local winestore (owned by a former director of the distillery). Definitely worth hunting a bottle down.
    My family know I love the stuff so there is competition to come up with the most exotic and eclectic brands, especially if they come in an interesting bottle. One such gin came out of the bottle blue and turned purple when the tonic was added!
    Otherwise like Tanqueray, Roku etc
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    ...you can also make an unusual looking gin using blue butterfly pea flowers (get on amazon) - soak in the gin and you will have a vibrant blue drink - if you make some ice cubes with fresh lemon juice added to the water and put them in the acid in the lemon juice will make the drink turn from blue to purple/red as they melt.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Well, there you go! Every day a school day.

I am intrigued to know what extras everyone adds and to which gin. One recent suggestion was a sprig of rosemary and also lemongrass. Both were very nice. Unfortunately, I can't remember which gin they were supposed to go with (Doh!)

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    thanks, plenty to go on there, the Thomas Dakin one sounds interesting especially with the horseradish.
    Went for the Thomas Dakin in the end, really good choice for a straight up GnT, they recommend orange peel bit i only have lemon, big flavours but quite soft, you can taste the horseradish but it doesn’t have the heat.
    Great accompanied with plain crisps and some olives, will be good as a martini, don’t think it’s negroni gin though.