closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Seiko GS JLC yadda, another piece of my personal jigsaw...

Hybrid View

Rolex Seiko GS JLC yadda, another piece of my personal jigsaw...

Good evening all, well my own personal interest is in workhorse movements, encapsulated in correctly proportioned cases, with aesthetically pleasing dials and hands- function over form, with only the slightest hint of bling.
    Ok, ETA 2824 in a Rolex case- check, 2892 in a classic and under rated Omega case- check, the movement used in the B'ling Aerospace at a fraction of the price, and just as functional- check, Seiko 7S26 in a decent sized diver- check, the fantastic ETA 251.262 quartz chrono (another legendary milestone movement in my book)- proof in the pudding of how handy this movement is this morning, clocks went forward, pull out the crown one click, little twist and hey presto watch set for another 6 months (i may tease that I would part with the PRS17C, but i can't see it happening, unless for a very special piece, it is just too cool), and numerous other interesting movements and watches- check/
    Now for the final, well nearly final piece of the jigsaw....the mighty Seiko 7A28 movement- the grand daddy, and still one of the finest quartz chronograph movements ever produced. I just picked up, from a fellow watch afficinado member here, a Seiko 7A28-702A.

What a great watch. 30 years old, still keeping great time and functioning perfectly. OG quartz tweakable quartz movement, 3 buttons and a crown- you couldn't ask for more- well maybe a day date function (I think a 7A38 is on the horizon, and that will be the final piece of my watch buying journey.)
    But this 7A28 holds a very special place in my heart. I was serving in the Army and attached to an Army Air Corps regiment at the time the Seiko gen 1's were the issued watch to Army air crew. I had many a chance to pick up an issued watch, but due to lack of foresight (it's a wonderful thing, or is that hindsight?), i passed on a few occasions.
    This watch is the civvy version, and to me, apart from the dial markings, the only difference is the chapter ring. Now please don't take offence old school air crew folks, but i find it kind of insulting that the mil spec watch had numbers on the chapter ring- i would like to think that the MOD would credit any member of the armed forces aircrew to know that the first hour marker after 12 o'clock is 1 o'clock, and the next one is 2 o'clock etc. The civvy version has a tachymeter chaper ring, which i find much more useful.
    Overall, i am over the moon with this little pick up, and it will always stay in my little collection. Now all i need is a 7A38 with a similar case, to allow me to bang it on a NATO, and know what day of the week it is and what day of the month it is.

Great watch, go the mighty 7A28!!!
    Last edited by nickyboyo; 6th October 2013 at 08:44.

Ok, ETA 2824 in a Rolex case

Is that a Tudor? Or an outright fake?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Ok, ETA 2824 in a Rolex case

Is that a Tudor? Or an outright fake?
    A Tudor or when Rolex-tępe case a MkII, Steinhart, Kemner, Schuren etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    What a great watch. 30 years old, still keeping great time and functioning perfectly. OG quartz tweakable quartz movement, 3 buttons and a crown- you couldn't ask for more- well maybe a day date function (I think a 7A38 is on the horizon, and that will be the final piece of my watch buying journey.)
    Then you should drop by my place sometime.

Banned
    Blog Entries