closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the point of this?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    You are watching the wrong channel. It's a GMT Master.
    I am indeed - thanks for pointing that out. Under all that bling, I thought it was a submariner!

Quote Originally Posted by mostly_lurking View Post
    Quite a few horological Mary Whitehouses on here aren't there?

I'd have said to Mary 'if you don't like what's on the screen, turn off the TV'.

If someone has the guts to say that he likes this piece, good on you!

How do we stand on those exquisitley jewelled women's Reversos that JLC makes? In a different league due to the craftsmanship displayed (and the appropriateness for a woman's jewellery watch rather than a diver).

No diver is going to strap this bejewelled beauty on over his wetsuit - it would scare the fish, so it's no longer a divers watch. Anyone who would wear this Rolex is quite aware that it's a piece of high kitch, camp, bling, whatever.

Who cares?
    Itd scare the fish alright!

Id love to think that the person wearing that rollie is "quite aware that its a piece of high kitsch, camp, bling, whatever", but I rather suspect that most, if not all don't - and that they actually think they look good/make them look wealthy.

As for "who cares?", well "cares" might be a bit strong a word - fun to discuss though.
    Im fairly sure that the OP posted with the intention of getting a few replies. Why bother otherwise?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Id love to think that the person wearing that rollie is "quite aware that its a piece of high kitsch, camp, bling, whatever", but I rather suspect that most, if not all don't - and that they actually think they look good/make them look wealthy.
    Perhaps you're right - I was at an AD a month or two ago (not my local Belfast one I should add). I would guess that the owner could wear any watch model he stocked, but was wearing what I thought was one of the least attractive models in the entire shop. Probably more a promotional thing than anything else, but given the choice, it would have been bottom of the heap for me!

Expense isn't even the issue - there are a few very attractive inexpensive watches about.

Suppose it's just 'different strokes'.

...and btw, true, I should lighten up - it's all a bit of banter ;-)

Master
    I think "more money than sense" must apply to this range.
    err Wayne, I'm sure that most of our spouses would level that accusation at most of us on here
    (and regardless of at what price level )

Oh, come on. We're not the target audience. I don't like jewel-encrusted anything, but some people do. And for some people, watches are just another piece of jewelry. Do you walk into jewelry stores and say, "Oh, my God! They've ruined that perfectly nice platinum bracelet by putting diamonds all over it! I think I'm going to puke!"

Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    Oh, come on. We're not the target audience. I don't like jewel-encrusted anything, but some people do. And for some people, watches are just another piece of jewelry. Do you walk into jewelry stores and say, "Oh, my God! They've ruined that perfectly nice platinum bracelet by putting diamonds all over it! I think I'm going to puke!"
    So true. I cant help but have a chuckle at the purveyors of 'Good taste' who are sickened by things like these or want to puke and what not. Or characterize those who may buy these as rap artists with gold teeth,blah,blah,blah. This is not my cup of tea just as a lot of other watches seen here,some of which happen to be forum favorites. I dont feel overcome by a need to run down those watches or wearers, tho. Good for them if they like those and make them happy! May not be my taste but so what? Never think that someone else's taste is inferior. One doesnt buy/wear a watch to gain someone's approval ( or shouldnt). Obviously is a liitle more satisfying if others join in your satisfaction of your choice and are happy for you but if they cant, it is not the end of the world. Buy what you can. Afford and wear it with pride. Far more important things in life than wasting negative energy on other's choices!

Craftsman
    A dreadful looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    So true. I cant help but have a chuckle at the purveyors of 'Good taste' who are sickened by things like these or want to puke and what not. Or characterize those who may buy these as rap artists with gold teeth,blah,blah,blah. This is not my cup of tea just as a lot of other watches seen here,some of which happen to be forum favorites. I dont feel overcome by a need to run down those watches or wearers, tho. Good for them if they like those and make them happy! May not be my taste but so what? Never think that someone else's taste is inferior. One doesnt buy/wear a watch to gain someone's approval ( or shouldnt). Obviously is a liitle more satisfying if others join in your satisfaction of your choice and are happy for you but if they cant, it is not the end of the world. Buy what you can. Afford and wear it with pride. Far more important things in life than wasting negative energy on other's choices!
    This entire paragraph would be valid, were it not for the fact you are on record as liking the clownmaster... ;)

This entire paragraph would be valid, were it not for the fact you are on record as liking the clownmaster... ;)
    ???
    Whats your point?

???
    Whats your point?
    U no read the English so well?

I do but my question is how does ONE particular choice ( that I am in no way apologetic about) invalidate my opinion? It does not require skill or class to be dismissive or derogatory but it does require soundness of mind to make a cogent argument!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Horrible, footballers?!

100% agree. Most sensible post on here for a while.

In case anyone's wondering (although I'm sure you're not) I wouldn't dream of buying/wearing this watch even if I could afford it, however if other people like it, that doesn't worry me in the slightest. I'm glad we're all individual and like different things.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I do but my question is how does ONE particular choice ( that I am in no way apologetic about) invalidate my opinion? It does not require skill or class to be dismissive or derogatory but it does require soundness of mind to make a cogent argument!
    Well said .

Master
    Liberace ...all I'm gonna say.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    It's revolting.

Simon
    My sentiments exactly.

I suspect you were in such a hurry to throw the "clownmaster" barb that you didn't realize it actually supports RAJEN's argument perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The point of it is to conspicuously indicate the wealth of the owner.

And that's its only purpose.

The fact that it also indicates the owner has undergone a taste-a-dectomy is an incidental but unintended result.

D
    Very aptly put.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Very aptly put.
    +1 with knobs on.

And seriously although some, me included, would happily spend sums of money that many would regard as frivolous on the timepiece of our obsession there is a line to be drawn. This has no significance to art, culture, technology, has no historical value, it looks like a rhinestone encrusted Toywatch yet costs morse than most people in the first world earn in a year. Now if you will excuse me I am off to read Das Kapital.

It indicates the kind of thing that your taste allows you to buy. Your tolerance of and receptiveness to gaudiness.
    I wouldn't say it invalidates your opinion, youre always entitled to one of them, but it illustrates what planet that opinion comes from.

I suspect you were in such a hurry to throw the "clownmaster" barb that you didn't realize it actually supports RAJEN's argument perfectly.
    No. It doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Well said .
    Im not sure how to address that comment, but I'll try...

Grunt, grunt, snort, grunt, moan, grunt...

Ah - Im beginning to master the language!

Blog Entries
    If you've got it, show it.

Loads of money doesn't mean loads of taste.............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Would you guys prefer this instead?

image-981188471.jpg

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    ...The Rolex GMT 116759. It's a white gold, diamond encrusted, PCL version of the GMT and I just don't understand why anyone would buy it.
    The target market for this product isn't on this forum and is only shopping in Europe (if at all) because it's tax free. In emerging markets it's far more acceptable, in fact admired, to flaunt wealth and that is all this is.

It's no more aimed at the denizens of this parish than diamond encrusted iPhone cases and chrome Bugatti Veyrons

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    I like it, very classy for a Rolex.
    It is what Rolex is all about, why pretend otherwise.
    Look I am rich; I can afford to drop £5k on a Rolex.
    I'm not rich and I've just bought a Rolex.

Would you guys prefer this instead?

image-981188471.jpg
    Would I have the option of selling it?

Il say it again. I LOVE this piece...and you know what? I'd rather it in yellow. To me it's a bit of fun that's all...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Il say it again. I LOVE this piece...and you know what? I'd rather it in yellow. To me it's a bit of fun that's all...
    For that kind of money I'd like to have a LOT of fun.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Grand Master
    No. It doesn't.
    Actually, it does. Rajen states that choices are individual and don't have to be justified to The Internet, or anyone else, which is of course true. And that the opinions of discerning fine-swiss-piece connoisseur experts, who are also complete strangers, can be safely ignored. I would add: especially when they're so shouty about it.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Actually, it does. Rajen states that choices are individual and don't have to be justified to The Internet, or anyone else, which is of course true. And that the opinions of discerning fine-swiss-piece connoisseur experts, who are also complete strangers, can be safely ignored. I would add: especially when they're so shouty about it.

Quite right.

Certainly not my taste, but most people wear watches as jewellery.

Certainly the concept of paying hundreds, let alone thousands to wear a mechanical watch to tell the time defies logic if a watch can ONLY be defined by its ability to perform a function.

Everyone likes different things. Personally I really dislike the look of Pepsi-Bezels in metal, but who cares. Lots of people like them and no-one's making me buy one.

Watches are MOSTLY jewellery - If you pay more than £50, you're kidding yourself if you don't agree.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Yeah, but let's not forget that Rolex have been producing this understated little number for years now...

Presumably the market for it is mainly this woman:

So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Yeah, but let's not forget that Rolex have been producing this understated little number for years now...

Presumably the market for it is mainly this woman:

Of course it's understated - doesn't even have a sparkly bracelet!

And this geezer

And Vanessa (Mrs Kobe) Bryant

Last edited by SimonK; 7th October 2013 at 15:13.

To the Op! What's the point of any of it... Just use your phone. If you can afford it and like the look why not?

Banned
    The point of it is to remind you that I am considerably richer than you. Same as many luxury items really.

Apart from needing to tighten the strap a bit, that Daytona looks surprisingly OK on Steve Tyler!