closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the point of this?

Master

What's the point of this?

I've never really understood this model from Rolex. In fact I was surprised to find out a few years ago that it's an official release. I'm talking about this...

(Sorry for the huge picture but my iPhone isn't playing ball)

...The Rolex GMT 116759. It's a white gold, diamond encrusted, PCL version of the GMT and I just don't understand why anyone would buy it.

Of course, there's the bling factor but why offer it on this particular model?! You can't make any use of the GMT hand without working out where the third hand would be pointing to... By which time you'd have managed to calculate the time difference in your head anyway. There should be a free augmented reality app for your phone to allow you to read the time on it!!

The retail is around £60k I believe as well; a MASSIVE jump from the <£6k steel version it's based on.

I'm sure "Mr. Veblen" will come along with his explanation but I just can't understand the appeal.

It gets worse, they do one with diamonds instead of PCL. I think blowers had one, RRP something like £120k

They look HORRENDOUS. First time I saw one I thought it was fake. "Rolex could never do something like that". I can understand that bezel with stones but those lugs with diamonds...

Footballers watch....hideous

Quote Originally Posted by lewismark View Post
    Footballers watch....hideous
    Yep... Its for people who want the bling, not the functionality ...
    Stop thinking like a wis- these aren't for us...
    Cheers..
    Jase

It'd have been more appropriate in a coke colored bezel than the Pepsi colors they went with. Because you'd have to be strung out on coke to think that looked even remotely attractive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Yep... Its for people who want the bling, not the functionality ...
    Stop thinking like a wis- these aren't for us...
    Lol okay BUT, why not leave this sort of thing to the Datejust or DayDate models? This way, no functionality is lost and they aren't creating a mockery of one of their better models.

I think "more money than sense" must apply to this range.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well lets be fair here, Hublot needed some inspiration for their grotesque bling, they simply took a leaf or two out of the Rolex catalogue and copied willy nilly.

in its defence...

it looks like it'll be easily cleanable for the inevitable vomit that will land on it every time you look at it :D

possible it was aimed at Stevie Wonder?

worst thing about it?

I stumbled into it on amazon a while back and now it regularly appears on my 'recommended for you' amazon emails :(

I would hazard a guess that it is Rolex running out of ideas and/or they have had a couple of requests for a blingedout model so they make a few at a time and include it in the catalogue.

There is always a lottery winner or footballers wife with more money than taste/sense.

I think the point of it is along the lines of a person, not particularly interested in horology, who has heard of the name "rolex" and is so rich that he is disappointed that "regular" rollies aren't in as high a price bracket as he expected, He is also in possession of the awful taste that only wealth can provide and so wants one encrusted with gaudy stones.
    My opinion of this kind of abomination from the rollie camp is no secret.
    Surely there must be some kind of rehab programme available for people who are ill enough to want to buy this kind of tat?

It's revolting.

Simon

Awful. Suitable for narko bosses.

Looks awful and would never go near one.
    But, am I surprised or bothered that it exists? Not really.
    We all know there are people who like this kind of thing and can afford it. Good for them. Awful taste but not against law.

Master
    Is this what people bought before Hublots and ROOs? Surely there's a space in Mayweather's watch box for this?

Master
    I think we need a new word to describe just how awful that is. Any ideas? :)

Presumably you saw the version on Blowers for £42,500? I like the line in the description Box and papers dated June 2009. Pre-owned UNWORN fully factory sealed.... I guess the buyer sobered up and regretted buying it...or found something even tackier (a rainbow bezel version?) and didn't wear this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    I would hazard a guess that it is Rolex running out of ideas and/or they have had a couple of requests for a blingedout model so they make a few at a time and include it in the catalogue.

There is always a lottery winner or footballers wife with more money than taste/sense.
    I don't think Rolex have had a decent idea for decades ;)

It's for people whose money and taste are inversely proportional.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I think we need a new word to describe just how awful that is. Any ideas? :)
    The word is printed on the face of the watch ;)

The point of it is to conspicuously indicate the wealth of the owner.

And that's its only purpose.

The fact that it also indicates the owner has undergone a taste-a-dectomy is an incidental but unintended result.

D

Craftsman
    They mount them on a rotating disk and stick 'em at the top of lighthouses.

Master
    Warning; life long GMT fan......
    I handled a factory origonal jewel encrusted GMT just like this in the metal a long time ago when I worked at Selfridges.
    If my numbers come in tonight I'll buy one. The fact of the matter is, it may be horrendous to some, but the rubies and sapphires make it a blinged up version of the classic pepsi design. The only thing I'm not sure about is the diamond encrusted shoulders, but would I have one?? Hell yeah, why?? Because I could.
    I may be in minority here, but I don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Warning; life long GMT fan......
    I handled a factory origonal jewel encrusted GMT just like this in the metal a long time ago when I worked at Selfridges.
    If my numbers come in tonight I'll buy one. The fact of the matter is, it may be horrendous to some, but the rubies and sapphires make it a blinged up version of the classic pepsi design. The only thing I'm not sure about is the diamond encrusted shoulders, but would I have one?? Hell yeah, why?? Because I could.
    I may be in minority here, but I don't really care.
    So, it being "a blinged up version of the classic pepsi design" is a selling point to you?

It seems we've stumbled upon one of the target audience, well, minus the cash, but hey...

Piemuncher - do you like rap music/own an 80s themed nightclub/ have gold teeth/have a mullet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    So, it being "a blinged up version of the classic pepsi design" is a selling point to you?

It seems we've stumbled upon one of the target audience, well, minus the cash, but hey...

Piemuncher - do you like rap music/own an 80s themed nightclub/ have gold teeth/have a mullet?
    No, but once again, if I had the cash............ :-)

No, but once again, if I had the cash............ :-)
    Are you saying that, if you had the cash, youd get into rap music, open an 80s themed night club, grow a mullet and get gold teeth?

If your numbers come up tonight, PM me - I'll move heaven and earth to be there with you to watch the transformation!

Huh, this constant equating of bling with rap artists and such is tiresome. I would imagine there is atleast an iota of envy at the root.
    Am not fond of bling unless done tastefully (yes it can be done!) but refuse to feel threatened by an ostentatious display of wealth by anyone. So, I dont find a need to resort to a constant disparaging and hateful stereotyping.

If you can't understand it, you can't afford it.

It's pointless BTW.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Are you saying that, if you had the cash, youd get into rap music, open an 80s themed night club, grow a mullet and get gold teeth?

If your numbers come up tonight, PM me - I'll move heaven and earth to be there with you to watch the transformation!
    Will do - just don't be offended if you turn up at my nightclub and find me wearing a bejewelled GMT.

Will do - just don't be offended if you turn up at my nightclub and find me wearing a bejewelled GMT.
    I hope you wont let anyone not wearing a Rolex in. Except in the capacity of staff!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Huh, this constant equating of bling with rap artists and such is tiresome. I would imagine there is atleast an iota of envy at the root.
    Well, it would certainly be an imaginary iota of envy - certainly not a real one...

Mate, I'll turn up wearing a yellow gold datejust - even more disgusting! And we'll spend the night watching clips of Jimmy Saville on a huge screen!

[QUOTE="Umbongo;2883618"] Mate, I'll turn up wearing a yellow gold datejust - even more disgusting! QUOTE]
    That I can agree with.:-)

Master
    Actually, that's mine. It's the beater in my rich and varied collection.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Actually, that's mine. It's the beater in my rich and varied collection.

LOL!

Grand Master
    Well, it would certainly be an imaginary iota of envy - certainly not a real one...
    Keep trying fella - you're almost there
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

If people spend 60k on them, Rolex will make them.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Keep trying fella - you're almost there
    Where?

With all due respect to the OP- you're trying to establish logic? To watches...? This is just one in along line of obnoxious cobblers in the watch world. Look at the latest AP Le Bron disgrace.Thats just the start.

This is just Rolex doing what Rolex do. Targeting their market audience.

Master
    I know someone with a gold diamond studded ( I hate to say encrusted its more just the odd diamond placed here and there willy nilly).

When he showed it to me I almost burst out laughing ...such a waste. He has a Hublot as well...should've guessed his attempt at having a stylish classic Rolex would be torpedoed.

I mean what sort of mentality...stick some diamonds on it to make it even better...bleugh!

Its like putting go faster stripes on a ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Its like putting go faster stripes on a ferrari.
    More like putting go faster stripes on a BMW.

An industry insider insists these models are a ploy devised by Rolex to make haters feel more inadequate ( assuming that were possible)!:-)

If you can't afford one you will never understand. Frankly it sickens me to know this obscenity even exists.

I love it! (After having the pleasure to wear the yellow gold version of an extended family members.) yes, everyone who sees it or comments on it tends not to like it but when you wear it and study it, it's actually a very very well put together watch. Immensely heavy and I mean heavy. I will dig the photo out, it's on an old phone somewhere. Would I buy one? For sure, if I could afford it.

Master
    Oh come on,it's fun. There are many people who earn (get) in a day as much as this watch costs. Would I buy one? No, have never been a fan of that nasty Pepsi colour scheme.

An industry insider insists these models are a ploy devised by Rolex to make haters feel more inadequate ( assuming that were possible)!:-)
    Ha! What industry was he an insider of? The circus perhaps? Was his name Coco or Bozo by any chance?
    Was he wearing extremely large shoes?

Craftsman
    hid·e·ous
    /ˈhidēəs/
    Adjective

Ugly or disgusting to look at.
    Extremely unpleasant.

Synonyms
    horrible - abominable - nasty - horrid - dreadful

Some people dislike mid or high end Seiko because they also sell cheap watches.

This is the other way around, purely made because someone will buy it and they can do it.

FAIL

Craftsman
    Quite a few horological Mary Whitehouses on here aren't there?

I'd have said to Mary 'if you don't like what's on the screen, turn off the TV'.

If someone has the guts to say that he likes this piece, good on you!

How do we stand on those exquisitley jewelled women's Reversos that JLC makes? In a different league due to the craftsmanship displayed (and the appropriateness for a woman's jewellery watch rather than a diver).

No diver is going to strap this bejewelled beauty on over his wetsuit - it would scare the fish, so it's no longer a divers watch. Anyone who would wear this Rolex is quite aware that it's a piece of high kitch, camp, bling, whatever.

Who cares?
    Last edited by mostly_lurking; 6th October 2013 at 11:45.

What's the point of this?

Quote Originally Posted by mostly_lurking View Post

No diver is going to strap this bejewelled beauty on over his wetsuit - it would scare the fish, so it's no longer a divers watch.
    You are watching the wrong channel. It's a GMT Master.
    Last edited by stooo; 6th October 2013 at 12:36.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez