closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NATO's .....I just don't get them.

Master

NATO's .....I just don't get them.

I know it's each to their own and all that, but I don't see the attraction of NATO's. Watches on bracelets, rubber, leather, I can understand. But I think a NATO makes an otherwise smart watch look cheap. Just my opinion though obviously.
    What's the attraction, is just for comfort?

Regards,

Ivor.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Run for cover.

Its an old thorny subject and there are those who love 'em and those who hate 'em. A bit like that brand of watch that so many Nato's adorn

FWIW i'm in agreement with you, why put a £0000 watch on a bit of nylon costing around £10.00 However, its a free world to do and choose as we like.

I find them comfortable and should a springbar come loose, your expensive watch won't crash to the floor.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    I did a search on NATO's before posting this, and while I found lots of info regarding sellers and colours I found nothing about the attraction of them.
    If this has been covered before then I apologise.

They're really comfy and I just think they look cool. They give a watch a bit rugged appeal, which on a diver i think works well.

Craftsman

I've tried and tried...

to use NATO straps. I used to have a bunch of WWW watches and they looked great with G-10s when
    sitting in the watch-box. Of the 15 or so straps I've owned, I had one plain black 20mm that actually
    fit comfortably and had no issues with the "tail" slipping out of the rings. Then I wore so
    much it started to discolour and smell funny....

Craftsman
    If you have fixed bars they are great, if you are using them with spring bars I find them to be a nuisance and never have confidence they won't dislodge the bar.

You either like them or you don't. I like the look of NATO. No point in trying to explain or rationalize it, it is not a rational thing.

If you like them they are a fun and cheap way to change the look of your watch.

I wear them to show my support of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

I remember reading an anecdote (maybe even on here) a while ago about someone making the remark about a cheap strap like a nato on an expensive watch, a seller of said straps made the comment "if it makes you feel any better I can charge you more for one!".

I think it really is as simple as that.

I see a lot of the appeal of them - comfy, a lot safer than people seem to think and, best of all, nice and cheap!

Plus, if you buy one in the right colours you can pretend youre James Bond!

Wearing a Nato has saved my watch when a spring bar has broken.

They're grrrrrreat.

I absolutely love them, and have to seriously control myself or I'd have hundreds. I prefer Zulus though, as they're just as safe but are one-piece and tend to be a little heavier.

I must admit they don't do it for me either.

I've an old Seiko quartz on one and wear it to the gym, but everything else I've tried on a nato is on a leather strap or bracelet now and I'll never buy another.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I know it's each to their own and all that, but I don't see the attraction of NATO's. Watches on bracelets, rubber, leather, I can understand. But I think a NATO makes an otherwise smart watch look cheap. Just my opinion though obviously.
    What's the attraction, is just for comfort?

Regards,

Ivor.
    Try one and see if your opinion changes

Grand Master
    Simple Answer is The C's

Comfort

Colours

Cost

Connection (With The Military)
    RIAC

De gustibus non est disputandum...

If you don't like the look then it is not for you.
    I love the sporty/casual look of a good zulu strap (nato is not really my favourite visually, also zulu is simpler and more practical).
    Comfort level with nato/zulu is much better than with any other type of strap/bracelet. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I prefer Zulus though, as they're just as safe but are one-piece and tend to be a little heavier.
    Are they safer?

Zulus are my preference too–at least what I understand to be Zulus… Are Time Factors' "RAF pattern" straps Zulus, or are Zulus something different?

Agree as well. Nato doesn't do anything for me. But each to his own.

Master
    Comfort, I can understand, but colour and cost? I would think a leather strap could be purchased in a number of colours, and a wide variety of rubber straps would be available.
    Don't misunderstand me, they have their place, if someone put one on a beater for comfort, then that's fine. It's when they are put on an expensive watch that baffles me.

Comfort, I can understand, but colour and cost? I would think a leather strap could be purchased in a number of colours, and a wide variety of rubber straps would be available.
    Don't misunderstand me, they have their place, if someone put one on a beater for comfort, then that's fine. It's when they are put on an expensive watch that baffles me.
    I hate leather and rubber straps, they are never comfortable and pleasant to wear for me... bracelets are heavy... so often I end up with zulu strap on all of my watches, beaters and more expensive ones.
    It looks really good on some watches (again it is a matter of personal taste)

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Are they safer?

Zulus are my preference too–at least what I understand to be Zulus… Are Time Factors' "RAF pattern" straps Zulus, or are Zulus something different?
    Both NATOs and Zulus will keep your watch on your wrist in the event of a spring bar failure, and I take great comfort from that.

A Zulu is a single piece of nylon without the second/additional piece that sits under the watch head, by the way.

...It's when they are put on an expensive watch that baffles me.
    I suppose it depends upon the occasion. With a suit and tie a NATO might not look the part...in weekend rig an alligator strap could be a bit over the top and you might want to dress down an expensive watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky555 View Post
    ...bracelets are heavy... so often I end up with zulu strap...
    I've just arrived at a similar conclusion, so I'm having fun experimenting with NATOs. When Eddie opens up his shop again I'll be ordering one (or more) of his new NATO/G10 straps with bead-blasted hardware.

The exception to my dislike are my watches with titanium bracelets. Those I can cope with...my 2231.80.00 is a favourite. And, for me, leather has its place. While I dislike the chunky straps that appeal to many people, leather looks good on a dress watch or similar (eg my Railmaster and Mondaine).
    Last edited by PickleB; 29th September 2013 at 22:59.

Master
    NATO's have never appealed to me either, but can understand why people choose them as an inexpensive way to change the look of a watch

I notice a lot of references to spring bar failures, is this exacerbated by changing straps a lot, does the spring action become looser, if that makes sense

Master
    No argument that they look the business on military watches, but I'd think twice about putting one on a chunky sports watch (Seiko diver might be the only exception).
    They just look a bit flat and flimsy for a big watch. I love swapping and chopping straps and bracelets but I haven't found many watches that really grab me when fitted to a NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by KJH View Post
    NATO's have never appealed to me either, but can understand why people choose them as an inexpensive way to change the look of a watch

I notice a lot of references to spring bar failures, is this exacerbated by changing straps a lot, does the spring action become looser, if that makes sense
    Pretty sure I've never had a spring bar fail in 40+ years of watch wearing.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    Hello M,

3 people in this thread mentioned spring bar failure so was just asking for some further info, I haven't either, but I don't change straps, so wondered if regular strap changes made it more likely

M
    I've arrived home from a mountain bike ride without my watch. I assume a spring bar went but I'll never know for sure.

I now have a cheap (Alpha) 'Submariner' on a Nato strap for mountain biking. I have dallied with them for normal wear but have gone back to orthodox straps/bracelets for everything other than the bike watch.

Master
    I didn't get Natos either, until a few weeks ago. I bought a Seiko 009 for a holiday watch a put it on a blue and red NATO. Now I can't take it off, and I have three more watches on Natos as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KJH View Post
    Hello M,

3 people in this thread mentioned spring bar failure so was just asking for some further info, I haven't either, but I don't change straps, so wondered if regular strap changes made it more likely
    Ive never had a springbar fail on me but, if I did, Id rather it happened with my watch on a nato than a regular strap or bracelet.
    The way the strap passes through both bars means that, if one failed, the watch head would flap about a bit but not actually fall from the wrist.

There are lots of things that I just don't get, that aren't to my taste, but I have no desire to find out what I am missing or why others do get it.
    Gray

Just a fad?

Quote Originally Posted by Batteries Not Included View Post
    They're really comfy and I just think they look cool. They give a watch a bit rugged appeal, which on a diver i think works well.
    Agree with this - divers look great on a NATO

Master
    Natos are a quick and easy way of changing a look of a watch and I think can look great if you get the colours right - often by tying a stripe on the nato to the face of the watch.
    Orange stripe nato on a orange orient mako or yellow stripe nato on seiko skxa35 are two of my favourite combinations.

Security is a fair point, even if it's a small risk.

Cool is very much a matter of faste.

They always remind me of cheap watches i had as a kid

M

Banned
    Leather NATOs, one of the most hideous crimes committed in WISdom

Also more hygenic than leather or metal. A NATO strap goes in the washing machine and comes out smelling of Devon Violets (or your chosen fragrance of fabric softener) and goodbye sweat, smeg, blood and gore (if you are an axe murderer, for example).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Wearing a Nato has saved my watch when a spring bar has broken.
    Me too - lost a springbar while on an escalator a couple of floors up. If it hadn't been on a NATO, it'd have been a long fall down to an unforgiving marble floor.

I've bought 3 or 4 straps for my watch - as someone has already said, it's a nice cheap way to give the watch a new look. But I do think it looks best on its SS bracelet.

Master
    For me it depends on the watch as to whether it works or not.

I'm very keen on this combination at the moment:

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Me too - lost a springbar while on an escalator a couple of floors up. If it hadn't been on a NATO, it'd have been a long fall down to an unforgiving marble floor.

I've bought 3 or 4 straps for my watch - as someone has already said, it's a nice cheap way to give the watch a new look. But I do think it looks best on its SS bracelet.

I agree that a bracelet looks best on virtually any "sports" watch every day of the week, but sometimes you just want comfy and cool...

I was under the impression that NATO's were designed for fixed bars and read that the strap movement could make the springbars pop out. Seems many of the failures happen with NATOs attached. Am I misinformed?
    Last edited by Martin123; 29th September 2013 at 22:06.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I agree that a bracelet looks best on virtually any "sports" watch every day of the week, but sometimes you just want comfy and cool...
    Absolutely. The leather NATO I have on it right now is really soft, which makes for a very comfy strap.

@SimonH, that works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Also more hygenic than leather or metal. A NATO strap goes in the washing machine and comes out smelling of Devon Violets (or your chosen fragrance of fabric softener) and goodbye sweat, smeg, blood and gore (if you are an axe murderer, for example).
    You have no proof and I have an alibi...

M
    I have .

Braided makes for the ultimate NATO . Extremely soft and flexible due to the weave . Very fast drying . Infinitely adjustable .

.... Also , loads of 'give' in the strap means you can easily thread a 20mm on 19mm lugs for example and still get a good fit .

It's a shame they are so hard to get hold of these days ....I am sure a range of braided straps in simple colours ( black / navy / dk grey ) would sell very , very well ...
    Last edited by seikopath; 30th September 2013 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I have .

Braided makes for the ultimate NATO . Extremely soft and flexible due to the weave . Very fast drying . Infinitely adjustable .
    I have too, albeit on a vintage watch. Better safe than sorry, I say

Comfort is high on the list for me. Doesn't get hot and sticky on a summers day.

I also love the ease of refreshing them. Just chuck them in the washing machine and they come out like new.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I have
    Me too, I knocked my Seiko Panda against the door jam of the carriage while jumping on a train and the watch landed a nanometer away from the platform edge. I wonder if the watchmaker hadn't used 18mm springbars - the Panda has 19mm lugs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Run for cover.

Its an old thorny subject and there are those who love 'em and those who hate 'em. A bit like that brand of watch that so many Nato's adorn

FWIW i'm in agreement with you, why put a £0000 watch on a bit of nylon costing around £10.00 However, its a free world to do and choose as we like.
    If it comes to that, why put a £150,000 car on £2000 of rubber? Because it helps keep it secure and able to perform the purpose for which it was designed.

I've tried to like them but have come to the conclusion that they look great in pictures but not on my wrist!
    I had a prs18q that looked good on one, but I don't like the way the strap angles down behind the springbars on most watches (subs included) and the way the head of the watch is lifted above the wrist just seems odd. All the ones I've tried also seem to stretch when wet and stay damp for ages - even from a light wetting from hand washing - and I can't honestly say they are any comfier to wear than a good bracelet or leather strap - in fact I find them all a bit itchy at least when they are new.
    Actually whenever I read about sweaty rubber straps and smelly Natos etc I'm always a bit confused as I've never noticed an inch wide strap cause me any sweat or smell issues over the years!

I first tried a NATO on my carrera. At first I was not sure, as I thought the black leather rally looked better. Now I only wear it on a NATO. It's just much more comfortable and is a cheap, quick and easy way to change the look of the watch.