closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Genta, not his finest work

Master
    Blog Entries

Genta, not his finest work

I can see the appeal it would have to some but given the classics attached to his name this is a bit clunky and awkward, imo only of course

http://www.watches.de/en/products/ge...-oqcz60580cnbd

Oof. There's a lot that looks a bit off to me, but especially the octagon within a circle.

Master
    Assuming he designed the dial. I'm afraid that was one of his off days.

Craftsman

Not a huge fan...

....of any of his work I've seen, which includes the one the subject of this post.

However clearly a talented man, and has his followers...

The photos don't do any justice ....in the flesh it looks and feels a lot better when tried on at Bvlgari boutique.

I prefer the RG to the steel version much better aesthetically and yes none of this resembles the classic Genta DNA which the recent 40mm IWC Ingenieur best epitomises.

Master
    Genta deserves his place in history for his early work and his legendary 70s PP, AP and IWC steel bracelet watches. I'm a big fan but I also find his later work a bit scary. It's a bit like listening to the best of Led Zepelin compilation, it starts so well but somewhere on disc two you suddenly think, hang on, stop this is awful! I might also add in The Doors descent into a lounge band, all recent films starring Robert DeNiro, or indeed Al Pacino, the list goes on. Sadly many great artists only have a ten year period where they were white hot, it's a bonus if they outlast that. But I'm not going to hold it against them if the later work doesn't quite live up to the breakthrough moment. I'll just try to politely ignore it, as with Die Hard 5.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 22nd September 2013 at 18:11.

That's a little awkward to say the least. The shapes just don't work.

Not a huge fan but there is something slightly endearing about it. I have commented on that piece before and remember being derogatory but a second chance to look at it leads me to think I would probably wear it as it would be a great talking point. Telling the time on it might be another matter though.

I wouldn't have put my name to that - it is hideous; not just the dial but the case too....and as for the crown, it is just looks awful - out of proportion and just completely out of place

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    ....of any of his work I've seen, which includes the one the subject of this post.
    Laffo - really? Royal Oak, Ingenieur? Universal Polerouter? Patek's Nautilus? Nothing there to tickle your fancy?

Nasty.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I realise he's considered a legend, but he has a somewhat unhealthy octagon fetish.

Is it me or does the movement look cheap and nasty, even though its a fortune

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Is it me or does the movement look cheap and nasty, even though its a fortune

Bit like one of those Chinese (Seagull) movements eh?
    The columnwheel is a giveaway though...................

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Oh, I didnt notice the knobly crown before. That's either really clever or really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Genta deserves his place in history for his early work and his legendary 70s PP, AP and IWC steel bracelet watches. I'm a big fan but I also find his later work a bit scary. It's a bit like listening to the best of Led Zepelin compilation, it starts so well but somewhere on disc two you suddenly think, hang on, stop this is awful! I might also add in The Doors descent into a lounge band, all recent films starring Robert DeNiro, or indeed Al Pacino, the list goes on. Sadly many great artists only have a ten year period where they were white hot, it's a bonus if they outlast that. But I'm not going to hold it against them if the later work doesn't quite live up to the breakthrough moment. I'll just try to politely ignore it, as with Die Hard 5.
    Well put. +1

Craftsman
    The real claim to fame here is the retrograde movement, which is a fascinating piece of horology.

The case and dial... The less said, the better.

Regards,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by laser8 View Post
    Well put. +1
    And 3 and 4...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

In his defence, that watch wasn't designed for the sportswatch massive, was it?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'd have to agree with the gist of this - although I'm a little young for for the music references