closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stanstead airport security

Stanstead airport security

Flying to Edinburgh for a few days, the security is turning into a joke, boots off, belt off, watch off, then body scan, that's it, they don't return your stuff, so I'm standing there like an idiot expecting the woman to return my stuff and nothing.

When she took my watch she remarked how large the watch was, it must be very expensive,

Any way, to my amazement I see my wallet phone, £6000 watch face down sitting in a box on the conveyer.

This can only end in tears

Banned
    I take my belt, watch, pocket change and wallet out in the line, I carry a microfiber cloth to wrap the watch in, if flying internally they all go in my briefcase, if on jollys then in hand luggage.

1 in 4 are taken for a pat down anyway so it could be awhile before you are reunited with your tray, so if its all hidden away in a bag then there's less chance of it getting swiped it's harder to conceal a bag and that would be an easy spot on CCTV. but somebody dipping in for just a watch/wallet may be harder to see.

Make sure you wrap your watch properly I have an elastic band which i wrap round the cloth to keep the watch safe, proved worth it in Italy as the security wanted my hand luggage through again and he purposely shook the bag and turned it upside down and plonked it back on the tray, my other watch was in it's watch case and it avoided some nasty dinks.
    Last edited by Fords; 22nd September 2013 at 08:28.

I recently bought a couple of those Oakley watch vaults and keep one in my bag when travelling where security scans will be involved. Watch in vault, in bag and bag goes through the scanner.

Common sense doesn't prevail anymore.

I recently had trouble closing my see-through bag with my toiletries in. I stood and watched as the lady emptied it out and then gradually tried to re-pack it, squeezing my stuff in. One or two items had to be binned.

I casually remarked in a lighthearted way :"thousands of years of civilization and we've come to two people standing over a small plastic bag trying to stuff L'Oreal hair paste into it."

The sheer ridiculousness of the whole airport security just seems to be lost on the people who make the rules - no doubt we are following some over-zealous guidelines laid down by the Americans.

Banned
    I don't remove my watch. I'm confronted about it maybe every one in four times. I blabber on about x-ray machines not being goodfor it, etc and never been forced to remove it. If it meant not flying I would, but until then...

I've taken a hell of a lot of flights over the last few years, and some time ago adopted a slightly different approach. I'll always remove my belt and shoes if asked to but should anyone suggest that my watch be removed as well I simply look them straight in the eye and (in a passive tone, without being aggressive) say "no". All that happens if you do this, by the way, is that the scanner alarm is more likely than not to be activated and you'll then get a pat-down. Nobody has ever responded - in any way at all - when I've said no to removing my watch, though.

Edit: Just saw Steve's post above... mate, you don't even need to give them a reason in my experience.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Flying to Edinburgh for a few days, the security is turning into a joke, boots off, belt off, watch off, then body scan, that's it, they don't return your stuff, so I'm standing there like an idiot expecting the woman to return my stuff and nothing.

When she took my watch she remarked how large the watch was, it must be very expensive,

Any way, to my amazement I see my wallet phone, £6000 watch face down sitting in a box on the conveyer.

This can only end in tears
    I gather you do not fly much then? It has been like this for ages in some cases/places more drac strict then others. Time when flying was a dignified affair with champaign, smiles and people smelling roses is thing of the past thanks to affordability and bad guys who want you and me dead, unless of course you go through V/CIP area and have access to one of those smaller planes which allows you to fly alone or with your close ones ;) on a seriouse note if you have ALL your liquids under 100ml and in a plastic bag, put your phone(s), keys, loose change, belt, watch, pen etc IN the bag, laptop/iPad out. Jacket and in some cases shoes off it's a straight walk to the Giraffe or Rolex counter
    Last edited by VDG; 22nd September 2013 at 09:23.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Leaving aside their casual disregard for expensive watches, surely the best thing is to smile sweetly and comply with their requests? I can't see how being awkward can have any positive outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Leaving aside their casual disregard for expensive watches, surely the best thing is to smile sweetly and comply with their requests? I can't see how being awkward can have any positive outcome.
    Not in my experience. I get the impression that they expect a fair proportion of people to insist on keeping their watches on.

Blog Entries
    Some guys here take a stand and refuse to take their watch off, I applaud them for their mindset!

Why should we plonk a possibly very expensive watch (not to mention wallet) in some scruffy plastic tray and lose sight of it in a melee of strangers? If your watch/wallet happens to 'disappear' in that window when you are momentarily unsighted, do you think the airport security/authorities give a shit?

I realise the need for security but these buggers 'supposedly' in charge really bloody milk it!

Passengers really are treated like cattle these days, often by self-important arseholes who are little more than traffic wardens! Pah!
    Last edited by KavKav; 22nd September 2013 at 10:54.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I gather you do not fly much then? It has been like this for ages in some cases/places more drac strict then others. Time when flying was a dignified affair with champaign, smiles and people smelling roses is thing of the past thanks to affordability and bad guys who want you and me dead, unless of course you go through V/CIP area and have access to one of those smaller planes which allows you to fly alone or with your close ones ;) on a seriouse note if you have ALL your liquids under 100ml and in a plastic bag, put your phone(s), keys, loose change, belt, watch, pen etc IN the bag, laptop/iPad out. Jacket and in some cases shoes off it's a straight walk to the Giraffe or Rolex counter
    I fly a lot, usually they give your watch straight back to you, I wonder what would happen of a watch gets stolen, while the owner is looking for it

I'm with Tony on this. I have only been asked once to remove my watch, and I said no, holding up my Railmaster AT on a leather strap. Then didn't give a damn.

I also travel most times with a leather bound double clarinet case and often a bag with accessories including sound equipment and cables etc. When they grab the bag to take a look (which they often do) I tell them that I will open everything for them. They ALWAYS let me because they have to, by law. If a passenger offers them assistance, for whatever reason (usually that things are delicate and/or specially wrapped/packed) they MUST accept.

It can be more difficult in other countries, but flying out of the UK and most European countries, the security can be edgy, but they usually keep within their rules.

Travelling with syringes (I have had type 1 diabetes for 50 years) can also be a lot of fun. I'm just about to go onto an insulin pump, which malfunction when they come into contact with X-rays.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I also travel most times with a leather bound double clarinet case and often a bag with accessories including sound equipment and cables etc. When they grab the bag to take a look (which they often do) I tell them that I will open everything for them. They ALWAYS let me because they have to, by law. If a passenger offers them assistance, for whatever reason (usually that things are delicate and/or specially wrapped/packed) they MUST accept.
    That's helpful to know - thanks.

It's a lot safer to do all the handling oneself.

I always remove all my valuables from pockets and wrist and put them in my zippered/latched hand baggage before entering the security line. They go underneath my un-cased iPad/Kindle/laptop, so these can be removed quickly at the conveyor belt and put in the tray, and the bag re-latched.

I'm prepared to remove belt & shoes but usually one's not asked to do so.

I fly a lot and I'm rarely asked to remove my watch. Maybe one in five times at the very most.

Never been asked to remove my watch, did get my arm lifted and it looked at by a mahoosive guy in Miami though, he said it was very nice lol.

The rest goes in the bag prior, lets you just slide on through

Been asked to remove my watch a few times - I travel most months in a bad year - but thankfully get to keep my shoes on at the security, most times lately. It is not so much of a chore.

One guy got into serious trouble in the IOM for refusing to remove his sandals and making a joke about it, saying did the think he was trying to hide explosive in them or something:

One comment from the posts that followed is highlighted below:

"FRIDAY, OCTOBER 02, 2009 08:52: The headline story in the Courier this week is about a man who was arrested, fined, given a suspended sentence and banned from the IOM for being sarcastic to the all-powerful airport security staff."
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Yeah, it really isn't worth the risk of showing attitude with those guys.

Most of them in most airports are fine, but there is a cadre of richard-heads among them, and why give them the opportunity to spoil your day? Just keep your head down and concentrate on getting through and not leaving anything behind.

Chicago is another airport I've seen (and heard) of people having problems. Also on USA entry there - last time I went through we had to queue while standing for 2 and a quarter hours, including old people, families with children etc. No exceptions. One guy got really antsy, and was taken away to a little room for questioning and then delivered to the back of the queue 45' later...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Yeah, it really isn't worth the risk of showing attitude with those guys.

Most of them in most airports are fine, but there is a cadre of richard-heads among them, and why give them the opportunity to spoil your day? Just keep your head down and concentrate on getting through and not leaving anything behind.

Chicago is another airport I've seen (and heard) of people having problems. Also on USA entry there - last time I went through we had to queue while standing for 2 and a quarter hours, including old people, families with children etc. No exceptions. One guy got really antsy, and was taken away to a little room for questioning and then delivered to the back of the queue 45' later...
    Blimey! I thought I had it bad waiting for one hour at Miami entry earlier in the year!

Funnily enough I go to Chicago three or four times a year, Never had an issue, Phoenix is ok too, other than the ridiculous long walk

Amazing to hear this about the US. I was in Russia and Ukraine recently and the entry at passport control was easy and relaxed. Seems like they're being much more pleasant to visitors because the first time I went, way back in 1992 it was similar to how you're describing Chicago! Except that they were asking for money to let people through quicker...

wait for two hours or pay 100 dollars and come through now...

Master
    Yes, that Chicago experience was October 2011: I think there was some security alert over their blessed homeland

BTW, on the flight I'd been reading a copy of Alastair Humphrey's book about his cycle tour around the world (travelling the long way down each continent). While I was queuing to get through passport control he entered and left 5 African countries.

The rest of the queue thought it was quite funny, too.

http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/boo...g-into-africa/

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Never been asked to remove my watch, did get my arm lifted and it looked at by a mahoosive guy in Miami though, he said it was very nice lol.

The rest goes in the bag prior, lets you just slide on through

I will be going through security on Tuesday in Miami on my way home, I'll put my PO in my hand luggage before I go through security tho

Blog Entries
    I fly pretty much every week & rarely remove my watch. The only one that causes the scanner to sound the alarm is the Damasko DA36.

Not sure why, but others (if left on) don't trigger the alarm, so I see no reason to remove them.

z

Next thing in security is to empty your bowel with a vaccum things at security check-all see thru
    My thong stays as it is

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Next thing in security is to empty your bowel with a vaccum things at security check-all see thru
    My thong stays as it is
    You only need to worry if you see one of them pulling on an elbow-length blue rubber glove...

Everything including my shoes goes in the plastic tray except my watch. I set the scanners off nearly every time due to the various metal plates, screws and replacement elbow joint!
    It's always a joyous time for me knowing at the end of a long queue I get to have some stranger rub his hands all over me!!! I've run out of sarcastic comments to airport security staff who have heard them all before anyway.
    Just don't get behind me in the queue!

Master
    Flying was a shit experience before all this security, it's even worse now, I avoid at almost all cost.

I fly LH regularly and have never been asked to remove my watch, thankfully. The wrist gets scanned with the detector and it's as though they expect it to bleep and for you to be wearing a watch. If it gets to the stage of watch having to be scanned, then you might as well through in everything else - specs, hearing aids, etc.

Hopefully though common sense is king. After all, it's daft to have the 100ml rule, but allow an infinite number number of bottles to be carried...

Master
    Ah the joys of airport security.

The US ones are without a doubt the worst. I fully expect to see Darth Vader conducting body searches at JFK.
    Smiling at them just seems to annoy them.

Watch goes into my hand luggage along with everything in my pockets.

Its great fun in India too. I had to remove someone elses stuff from my tray after they thought it would be okay to just drop their stuff in on top of mine.

Also been marched off to the checkin luggage to explain the suspicious articles in my bag... I just tell them its sex toys.

Master
    Just literally came through security at Carcassonne airport in the south of France.
    All sorts of oversized bags being allowed through as hand luggage and liquids bags that are the size of an a4 page. Hey ho I just remove my belt but never remove my watch unless asked. My PO doesn't set the alarm off. When I had my Ploprof I was asked to remove, which I always did. Was told it was due to the size they would prefer to have it through the x-ray.

Master
    I'm glad we're not the only ones though I can't speak for Stansted as I've never flown from there. We flew from Gatwick to Ibiza on Wednesday with mini MST in tow; her first holiday abroad, and traversing security was an unmitigated disaster.

On arriving at security we were ushered into a "family assistance lane", this is what Gatwick have to say about it:

We’ve created special assistance lanes for both departing and arriving families. Our separate security lane gives families travelling with young children in buggies extra help through security. Simply follow the signs for assistance lanes after you've checked in. Following on from the success of our security assistance lanes, working with UKBA, we've also introduced assistance lanes through immigration to help families arriving back at Gatwick. Our staff will be on hand during busy times to give some extra help.
    What a load of b****x, it should actually read:

We’ve created special assistance lanes for both departing and arriving families so that other passengers are not inconvenienced. Our separate security lane keeps families travelling with young children in buggies out of the way, putting all of the rotten eggs in one basket so to speak. Simply follow the signs for assistance lanes after you've checked in and look for a longer queue full of harassed first time parents struggling with their distressed children and the trappings of parenthood. Following on from the success of our security assistance lanes, working with UKBA, we've also introduced assistance lanes through immigration to help families arriving back at Gatwick just incase you were lucky enough to escape all of the fun on your departure . Our staff will be on hand during busy times to give some extra help by interfering with your buggy before shoving it through the X-ray machine; square peg into a round hole, rifling through your baby's toys before emptying them all over a grubby table and being a general nuisance.
    That should give you a flavour of how we were made to feel on the day.

We've always held the Gatwick Airport security officers in much higher regard than their BAA counterparts at Heathrow, especially as both Mrs. MST and I have worked alongside (...ish) BAA security staff at Heathrow. However, on this occasion we were bitterly disappointed and looking back I can well understand why some exasperated travellers say such stupid things to them when challenged, not that I would ever condone it.

One thing's for sure - we won't be being herded into a special assistance lane through the immigration control on the way back!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    When I had my Ploprof I was asked to remove, which I always did. Was told it was due to the size they would prefer to have it through the x-ray.
    Now, I only did A-level physics, but does anyone here really think a security X-ray machine could drive enough rays through a lump like that to make a decipherable image? If so, I hope they screen the source with lead plates 10 feet thick!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Now, I only did A-level physics, but does anyone here really think a security X-ray machine could drive enough rays through a lump like that to make a decipherable image? If so, I hope they screen the source with lead plates 10 feet thick!
    Mark is quite correct!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Mark is quite correct!
    Yes but they don't know the watch is real, obviously the real McKay is a solid lump alright but for all they know it could be anything, and certainly not an actual Ploprof case.

Top tip: when queuing for Border Agency upon arrival back in the UK whenever possible avoid being behind a woman with children : they are highly scrutinised.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    Yes but they don't know the watch is real, obviously the real McKay is a solid lump alright but for all they know it could be anything, and certainly not an actual Ploprof case.
    I suppose that is good reason to wear something with a display back!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    I suppose that is good reason to wear something with a display back!
    Hahahahaha nice one!!