closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone recommend a good tradesman

Anyone recommend a good tradesman

We're having our downstairs loo redone and, being completely useless myself, we're getting someone to do it for us.

Because it's only a relatively small job we've wanted someone who can do everything (the plumbing, decorating etc). We found two people but both of them have let us down and we need someone reliable as we will have to take time off work.

I hate picking up the Yellow Pages as you never know what you will get so would anyone one have someone they could recommend that could do the work for us. We are in Barnet, Herts.

Many thanks

I haven't used them (yet) but have you thought about using one of the 'trademen review' sites?

http://www.trustatrader.com/
    http://www.ratedpeople.com/
    http://www.trustmark.org.uk/

They aren't 100% transparent (because the tradesmen have to pay to be listed in the first place) but it might be a place to start.

Otherwise, there are a few tips in this link: http://www.money.co.uk/article/10091...dodgy-ones.htm

Journeyman
    I wouldn't use these sites, as a trade you pay for the privelidge.

You can't beat recommendation. Ask at work, local club, fellow school parents or google BUT ask for a free meeting, get 2 or 3 quotes and numbers of previous customers from each. Phone the numbers and Visit a previous customer of your preferred contractor (or 2 customers). agree a payment plan.

None of the above is ott, we are a granite Worktops company and are constantly providing previous customers contact details (on the agreement that we can then use theirs if they are happy once we have finished). Ask previous customers, did the finished price match the quote, if not was it the customers extras or contractor changing. Did contractor clean up every night, were they respectful, would they use them again.

Check google reviews too, check Qype and Facebook too.

A good contractor is a godsend

Eta you can always try your local merchants, the good guys names wil come up more than once(as will the bad guys)

Master
    I have used ratedpeople.com and it worked out really well. There was a lot of feedback on the person we chose which turned out to be spot on. I then used them a few more times and one or two of their recommendations for other types of work.
    We may have been a bit lucky (always helps!) but i would say it is an option. As ever though, check references etc.

Hi dropping you a PM of someone I've used for ages. I live in Barnet too, he's from palmers green so not far at all

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    I have used ratedpeople.com and it worked out really well. There was a lot of feedback on the person we chose which turned out to be spot on. I then used them a few more times and one or two of their recommendations for other types of work.
    We may have been a bit lucky (always helps!) but i would say it is an option. As ever though, check references etc.
    Tried it twice with poor results TBH.

I was looking for an electric garage door and they just did not seem interested and were more expensive than a local guy who did the job in the end.

2nd time, the roofer said it was not worth is while?

Hey, ho - ended up with some recommendations from friends that worked out just great.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I use the WhichLocal website - you may need to be a Which subscriber, sure the other sites mentioned above are similarly good. The tradesmen I have selected in the past few years through this site have been excellent, as described.

Quote Originally Posted by Summers dad View Post
    I wouldn't use these sites, as a trade you pay for the privelidge.

You can't beat recommendation. Ask at work, local club, fellow school parents or google BUT ask for a free meeting, get 2 or 3 quotes and numbers of previous customers from each. Phone the numbers and Visit a previous customer of your preferred contractor (or 2 customers). agree a payment plan.

None of the above is ott, we are a granite Worktops company and are constantly providing previous customers contact details (on the agreement that we can then use theirs if they are happy once we have finished). Ask previous customers, did the finished price match the quote, if not was it the customers extras or contractor changing. Did contractor clean up every night, were they respectful, would they use them again.

Check google reviews too, check Qype and Facebook too.

A good contractor is a godsend

Eta you can always try your local merchants, the good guys names wil come up more than once(as will the bad guys)

Perfect advise,Cant really add on to that

I had a guy via trustatrader who turned out to be an absolute helmet. I'm also currently having to deal with the aftermath of another idiot who my neighbour selected for work on both our houses, again through that site or similar. I've since resolved that I will only go via personal recommendation in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloobird View Post
    I had a guy via trustatrader who turned out to be an absolute helmet. I'm also currently having to deal with the aftermath of another idiot who my neighbour selected for work on both our houses, again through that site or similar. I've since resolved that I will only go via personal recommendation in future.
    Out of interest, did you post feedback to that effect on trustatrader?

Master
    used rated people 3 times and always worked out well