closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Anyone put the heating on yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    - it costs what it costs.
    Which is fine if you're fortunate enough to have the means to pay for it.

I have to admit I'm tempted tonight, but will 'tough' it out until it gets really chilly.

Once the boiler in the garage tells me the temp is 12ºC, then it goes on. It's currently at 17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Which is fine if you're fortunate enough to have the means to pay for it.

I have to admit I'm tempted tonight, but will 'tough' it out until it gets really chilly.

Once the boiler in the garage tells me the temp is 12ºC, then it goes on. It's currently at 17.
    Does feel a chill tonight, wife has a blanket and a cat.

I have lit a candle infant of the stove - the flickering suggests to me a fire is on.

Said candle was a Clarkson 'smells like my bollocks' one which was a gift, will stick to J Malone ones in the future I think!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Put it on this morning .

Master
    Fired up the woodburner on Fri eve for the first time, makes one room super warm, and takes the edge of the air in the rest of the house.
    Looks like a very heavy frost this morning so might need to pop the gas on this evening. Sadly I am almost at the end of the gas I bought over two years ago (pre pay meter), when the cost was 1/3 of what it is now. Gonna be a culture shock soon

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Mother in laws birthday party around here today and unless its 25 degrees she starts getting a bit chilly. Boiling my nuts off in here but just lit the log burner for the first time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Mother in laws birthday party around here today and unless its 25 degrees she starts getting a bit chilly. Boiling my nuts off in here but just lit the log burner for the first time this year.
    If it's too hot just greet your MIL in your pants!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Just put ours on for the first time. Mother, MIL, daughter and bf and son who’s over from Thailand and making a Sunday roast. Lad’s been in shock for the past 10 days and had a blanket permanently wrapped around him, bet he can’t wait to get back!

Craftsman
    Had the log burner on this morning and also turned on the down stair underfloor heating now. Be on until about march.

Put ours in for the first time today at 10:30 this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    ... Once the boiler in the garage tells me the temp is 12ºC, then it goes on. It's currently at 17.
    I assume 12c is the temperature in the garage not house? When my 2nd home hits 12c, it's time for a hat - heating comes on at 10c (last time that happened was Dec 2010). My wife makes up for it in our main house, it goes on at 17c.

Fire has gone on in the living room tonight. Will hold out a good chunk longer before the CH goes on.

It came on this morning for the first time, thermostat was set to 18.5 C and it was below 17 downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I assume 12c is the temperature in the garage not house? When my 2nd home hits 12c, it's time for a hat - heating comes on at 10c (last time that happened was Dec 2010). My wife makes up for it in our main house, it goes on at 17c.
    Yes, the set up is weird where we have system boiler for one half of the house, and combi for the extension over the garage. The combi temp reading is the garage, which is always colder than the house but I use it as a reference point.

Journeyman
    It's freezing and it's going to get colder. Really trying hard not to, but I think needs must.

Master

Anyone put the heating on yet?

No central heating yet but wood burner on in kitchen area . Warms through the house to take the edge off. Sat in shorts and t shirt so most likely could have simply put a jumper on. Cosy:)

Master
    Wife was feeling the chill today, so a late afternoon fire required.

I am sat near the lounge door controlling the cool air entering the room & directed at me to try and find some form of balance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heating just came on as the house went below 16. Just set the new limit to 14.5 and will see how it goes for a bit.

Yep, we cracked this morning and had a blast for 90 minutes.

I'm now sat in my room above the garage and I might have to do the dirty with this as well. It's feckin' icy. 🥶

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Heating just came on as the house went below 16. Just set the new limit to 14.5 and will see how it goes for a bit.
    Our house hit 15.5 degC early this morning. Heating is off as we have no small children.

In fact I am working at the kitchen table in a pair of shorts and a light fleece and I am perfectly comfortable.

Plus it is good for my metabolism as I am burning a few extra calories to keep my core warm.

In the evenings we like the living room nicely toastie, but during the day I don’t need any heating while working until it drops well below where we are today.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've got a thousand quid in credit. Thought I'd treat myself tonight.
    These days that will probably last until next weekend!

Engineer's coming today to service the boiler, then I fear Lady Sod may well crack - I'm grimly determined to hold-out until November at the earliest, but she pays the majority of the bills now, so...

Master
    There seems loads of wood burners here. Rather at odds with the ev revolution...

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Our house hit 15.5 degC early this morning. Heating is off as we have no small children.

In fact I am working at the kitchen table in a pair of shorts and a light fleece and I am perfectly comfortable.

Plus it is good for my metabolism as I am burning a few extra calories to keep my core warm.

In the evenings we like the living room nicely toastie, but during the day I don’t need any heating while working until it drops well below where we are today.
    Im in the garden with a coffee and a long sleeve tshirt on the lounger with washing on the line, barely a cloud in the sky. Hard to believe we’re halfway through October.

My brother has been promising for two years to put our floors on different Nest zones so hopefully in a few weeks we’ll be able to just heat the downstairs rather than me running around three floors turning off individual radiators and wondering why it’s freezing in the same rooms the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    My brother has been promising for two years to put our floors on different Nest zones so hopefully in a few weeks we’ll be able to just heat the downstairs rather than me running around three floors turning off individual radiators and wondering why it’s freezing in the same rooms the next day.
    Our whole CH could do with an upgrade as boiler and rads are well over 20 years old.

I am holding out a couple of years for heat pump technology to improve and become more established, and then will take the £7.5k grant.

Our radiators have to be changed anyway so I reckon a full boiler/radiator change will be at least £6k, so with the grant, if I can get a heat pump for £13.5k then it is cost neutral.

In the meantime we have some stuck radiator valves, so I just chuck a towel over a radiator in a room that is not in use when I am working from home. Works the same way as shutting off a radiator valves and puts less strain on the pump.

House has dropped to 17 degC which is just about manageable, so looks like we will see mid-April through to October without the central heating on, just the fire in the living room.

However, I am not stubborn and I reckon by next week the CH will on.

November is fairly late for putting the CH on and we have not a single frost yet.

Master
    Blog Entries

In the meantime we have some stuck radiator valves, so I just chuck a towel over a radiator in a room that is not in use when I am working from home. Works the same way as shutting off a radiator valves and puts less strain on the pump.
    That's a new one on me. How's that the same?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    That's a new one on me. How's that the same?

the insulation minimises the heat loss into the room.

less heat loss - less fuel consumption

Master
    Thermometer is still in double digits here on the east coast so no. I’ve got my lovely thick woolly blanket out on a couple of evenings, mind you

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    There seems loads of wood burners here. Rather at odds with the ev revolution...
    If all that's being burnt is local wood then it's carbon neutral. The wood grows, capturing carbon. As it's burnt, the same amount of carbon is released.
    If you're burning coal then that's different as it's carbon was captured hundreds of millions of years ago.

I cracked about a week ago when I noticed one of the dogs shivering in her bed despite having a housecoat on - she's saluki X whippet so nesh-as-f***. Still on the boiler's lowest output setting / 17C thermo.
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 30th October 2023 at 14:45. Reason: swear-censor: forgot where I was

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    If all that's being burnt is local wood then it's carbon neutral. The wood grows, capturing carbon. As it's burnt, the same amount of carbon is released.
    If you're burning coal then that's different as it's carbon was captured hundreds of millions of years ago.
    Carbon neutral maybe but particulates aplenty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

And people waste their money on smart TRVs!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

And people waste their money on smart TRVs!
    I think the room will still be heating up, with a fair amount of heat going back through the wall behind the radiator, but if winter is here and you don't want the hassle of draining down and fitting new valves - it'll do until spring I imagine.

Master
    It's now -1 outside, quite normal 21,7 inside and the heating is definitely on.

I don't quite understand how you guys make it with 15-16 degrees indoors, but I guess that depends on what you are used to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    It's now -1 outside, quite normal 21,7 inside and the heating is definitely on.

I don't quite understand how you guys make it with 15-16 degrees indoors, but I guess that depends on what you are used to.
    I guess so. I can’t imagine why on earth one likes to sit in such cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    I guess so. I can’t imagine why on earth one likes to sit in such cold.
    Ditto.

If you can't have a bit of comfort in your own home....
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Ditto.

If you can't have a bit of comfort in your own home....
    Indeed, I'll happily scrimp on anything except heat and nice food.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Indeed, I'll happily scrimp on anything except heat and nice food.
    And most importantly good red wine.

And most importantly good red wine.
    Goes without saying...hic

I have a Hive thermostatic controller (for about a year now) so easy to see how long the boiler is firing for each day (on CH) and to track the temperatures

For October it's been on CH for 32hrs total and every second day on HW for about an hour each time.

OVO energy obv don't believe the readings so sent out a guy from Morrison Data to read my gas meter, even though I submit readings every month..............

So...... Sod them, they can read the gas meter themselves from now until I ditch OVO.

I might do tomorrow if it's cold again, fortunately I live in a tiny flat now so heating it isn't that hard.

Master
    No fire tonight, decided to warm the house instead with some CH.

Feels like it makes a difference & equally not being back in a grandparents house where only the front room was warm.

Cannot wait to get the kitchen floor heating on next!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I feel that "Carbon Neutral" is a cop out as the idea must be to reduce the amount of carbon being put in to the atmosphere. It would be far better to carry on planting trees and at the same time not burning the ones we have. Also wood burners produce a lot of harmful particulates so at odds with the idea of Clean Air Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by smashie View Post
    I might do tomorrow if it's cold again, fortunately I live in a tiny flat now so heating it isn't that hard.
    Of course the type of dwelling you live in makes a huge difference.

If you are in a mid terrace you get more insulation and it's probably easier to keep warm than a detached.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Anyone put the heating on yet?

Quote Originally Posted by smashie View Post
    It’s gonna be a low of 2deg overnight here …brrrrr

Any crazy horses out there who have not put their heating on yet?

Any crazy horses out there who have not put their heating on yet?
    I'm one of those. Briefly considered it the past few days, hall thermostat says 10c, but I went for a long walk instead. Most weekdays fine, as work office is toasty (too toasty). templogin is at another level of cold though I bet (he's extreme).

Quote Originally Posted by guli View Post
    It’s gonna be a low of 2deg overnight here …brrrrr
    It's been -7deg for days now

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ours is on all day set at 19c I do switch it off between 9ish till we get up around 8.30 smart meter is saying £66 for the week, that’s gas and electric. Hot water is on constant, not that we use a lot. Just me and the wife, four bed with three reception rooms. It’s a timber frame house so does hold the heat in.
    Last edited by hilly10; 3rd December 2023 at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Ours is on all day set at 19c I do switch it off between 9ish till we get up around 8.30 smart meter is saying £66 for the week, that’s gas and electric. Hot water is on constant, not that we use a lot. Just me and the wife, four bed with three reception rooms. It’s a timber frame house so does hold the heat in.
    When companies and people were bumming up Combi Boilers - one of the arguments they had, was "Combi is better because it saves you heating up a tank of water". But - with a well insulated HW tank, in an internal airing cupboard - you are only losing heat to the hall/rooms that you are trying to heat anyway. So - it isn't lost energy. The only thing a combi gains - is if you don't have room for a decent size HW tank. So - it isn't too extravagent leaving the HW on continuously.

Absolutely baltic here in the Borders just now, so I have had to put the heating on for a couple of hours in the morning and same in evening. Mostly in Kitchen with background heat in lounge/hall and upstairs landing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We do find leaving the heating on all day uses very little more then boosting all the time. I did invest last year in a new heavily insulated tank which works very well.

Our boiler is in the Utility so I installed a retractable airing line which is brilliant at drying day to day washing, plus leaving the door open it helps to warm the kitchen.