closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: We sometimes moan about the cost of OEM straps, but they are worth it.

Banned

We sometimes moan about the cost of OEM straps, but they are worth it.

Everyone knows that most oem straps are seen as well over priced, but every now and then you can't make do with anything else.

Craftsman
    When I read the title of the thread I thought "Well, yes for Breitling, but not for all brands...", and what do I see? :-)

Agree, for Breitling that is..., for the rest I often prefer a Hirsch or Rios.

Craftsman
    BTW, is that the first Blackbird model? Very nice...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    BTW, is that the first Blackbird model? Very nice...
    Yes it's a Mk1 and a shade under 40mm, here is another photo, this time on the bracelet.

Omega's are excellent as well. Their alligator is the best I've used.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree, I've had a couple of omega rubber straps and they fit the best and look smart, which is what you want if your giving up the original bracelet

I recently bought (and posted pics on here!) an Omega Megaquartz Constellation 32.......It came with a really bad bund on it! I managed to source a really nice Omega brown leather deployant............made the watch look wayyyyy! better!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Yes it's a Mk1 and a shade under 40mm, here is another photo, this time on the bracelet.

That is a beauty, I did own the Chronomat of the same model (well, a few actually), but the matte finish on the Blackbird is just perfect.

I have to say that the Breitling leathers are the best leather straps I've handled, especially once they're worn in.

Grand Master
    Disagree.

In most cases a cheaper alternative of similar quality can be found. The OP's strap looks just like a £30 Hirsch Monza to me, an excellent strap that I`ve used myself. Some of the straps Cousins sell are excellent despite the low prices.

Paul

Love Breitling learher straps but occasionally are too stiff/unyeilding. IMO, cheaper Breiling-like straps arent the same.

I use both Breitling calf and Bob calf straps on my Navitimer most of the time. Nice though the Breiling one is, I have to say the difference between the Breitling version and the Bob (wacwex) is not that great - certainly not the price difference's worth.

Once you get into the genuine alligator stuff, I suspect the Brietling stuff gets more cost/value competitive.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Disagree.

In most cases a cheaper alternative of similar quality can be found. The OP's strap looks just like a £30 Hirsch Monza to me, an excellent strap that I`ve used myself. Some of the straps Cousins sell are excellent despite the low prices.

Paul
    I have to agree with Paul here . I will no doubt be fried for this but JLC is another culprit of overpriced rubbish in my opinion. And yes I've been trying to sell one recently on here . The alligator leather they sell is dreadful for the cost , it doesn't wear well and the finish is easily discoloured and cracks . For 285 quid I'd expect alot better, especially as you can get a very decent alternative from di model or hirsch for 30 quid that is waterproof too . I still nearly always defer to either a NATO for sports watches or a chronissomo if leather is required both waterproof and comfortable .

An example of where you can't use anything other than OEM would be say a Breguet Type XXI where the fitted up to the head strap with internal metal inserts costs and arm and a leg and isn't replicated by anyone ! At nearly 400 quid and with quality similar to that of the JLC I've already mentioned its a shame non fitted up to the head straps don't look any good on the watch , this is mainly due to the position of the spring bars between the lugs . In short your knackered !
    Last edited by BryanEbru1512; 11th September 2013 at 02:00.

Master
    Come on Paul it's just a drop in the bucket for you to spend some well heeled coin on a piece of leather. Next you'll be starting a thread about 'what is considered to be an expensive watch strap"

Craftsman
    Personally if I can afford the genuine manufacturer straps, I'd always buy them.

I've tried some cheaper alternatives like Hirsch and although they feel ok initially they just don't last like the real deal. The edge varnishing starts to crack and flake in some cases. Plus the leather itself is always that bit too shiny which makes it look cheap, and the buckles on the sub £40 ones are pretty naff.

I've not experienced the £200 Hirsch straps though, but that's starting to sound like and expensive alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by dietcokeman View Post
    JLC is another culprit of overpriced rubbish in my opinion. And yes I've been trying to sell one recently on here .
    I didn't notice that in your sales thread!

Hirsch make some very high quality straps - and so not so (I guess the brands they supply request a level of quality that they are prepared to pay for, and that may differ - if you can find something very similar in the Hirsch line-up - why pay the brand that is supplied with the straps instead?). Breitling imho have consistently, at least of recent years, used very high quality leather straps on their watches - other brands should do likewise.
    It's just a matter of time...

The omega rubber with white stitch was one of the most comfortable straps I've come across, and looked smart, appearing like leather from a distance. Well worth the £120....

The deployment buckle while very nice is the most overpriced massed produced component I've owned, l can't believe they cost more than £5 to the dealers door. Felt mugged...

Master
    I have to agree with other posters re. Omega rubber straps. Nobody seems to be making anything like the quality and fit they are, let alone at a cheaper price...

I have to agree with Paul here . I will no doubt be fried for this but JLC is another culprit of overpriced rubbish in my opinion. And yes I've been trying to sell one recently on here . The alligator leather they sell is dreadful for the cost , it doesn't wear well and the finish is easily discoloured and cracks . For 285 quid I'd expect alot better, especially as you can get a very decent alternative from di model or hirsch for 30 quid that is waterproof too . I still nearly always defer to either a NATO for sports watches or a chronissomo if leather is required both waterproof and comfortable .

An example of where you can't use anything other than OEM would be say a Breguet Type XXI where the fitted up to the head strap with internal metal inserts costs and arm and a leg and isn't replicated by anyone ! At nearly 400 quid and with quality similar to that of the JLC I've already mentioned its a shame non fitted up to the head straps don't look any good on the watch , this is mainly due to the position of the spring bars between the lugs . In short your knackered !
    Another vote for non-OEM straps here. A custom piece from toshi or melhick would be my preference.

Not had a Breitling on leather, but on the whole I reckon you can get better leather for less money going aftermarket.

Some of the Di-Modell, Hirsch or RIOS are very good and then there are the sensibly priced independents - Stach, DB10, Toshi etc.
    Last edited by andy tims; 11th September 2013 at 13:20.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I didn't notice that in your sales thread!
    And if you read my whole post it says I've been trying to sell one here ! And my sales post doesn't mention that I thinks it's wonderful quality either ! ..... Ok it doesn't say i think its crap either but ....come on !

The fact that I have one for sale doesnt change my opinion of its overall quality ! Some people will always want OEM straps , and lots of manufacturers do an ok job, but are they better than aftermarket versions because they have the watch brand stamped into to leather ? In most cases I'd say not , its just an excuse to charge alot more .
    Last edited by BryanEbru1512; 11th September 2013 at 15:00.

Banned
    And if you read my whole post it says I've been trying to sell one here ! And my sales post doesn't mention that I thinks it's wonderful quality either ! ..... Ok it doesn't say i think its crap either but ....come on !

The fact that I have one for sale doesnt change my opinion of its overall quality ! Some people will always want OEM straps , and lots of manufacturers do an ok job, but are they better than aftermarket versions because they have the watch brand stamped into to leather ? In most cases I'd say not , its just an excuse to charge alot more .
    Check your Y-fronts, he was only pulling your pisser.

Grand Master
    Obviously there is no point in trying to determine whether the rule that aftermarket is either better, or indeed worse. Breitling's straps are excellent, but (for example) I binned a poor-quality original-equipment Longines alligator strap after about 6 months. Longines/Swatch had the gall to charge over 250 € for a replacement. So I got a Hirsch instead, and it looked better, resisting shrinking, didn't stink, and outlived the alligator thing.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Check your Y-fronts, he was only pulling your pisser.
    Lovely way of putting it Paul, but yes I was

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    Lovely way of putting it Paul, but yes I was
    I'll get my coat !

Some are overpriced and a decent after market is just as good, others are brilliant though, such as the Nomos ones, £58 and available in 18, 19 or 20mm, very good for something dressy.

Master
    I'm struggling to find a leather replacement for the bracelet on my Pasha GMT without going to Cartier, and then buy the buckle as well.

I think my next option is to go and buy a fake Pasha in Chinatown here in KL and fit the stap off that!

Craftsman
    For anyone in/around London, I got a strap from Jean Rousseau in the Piccadilly Arcade last weekend. They are like Camille Fournet or ABP and opened a shop here a year ago. A good selection and prices were around £65 for calf and £150 for alligator. More expensive than buying online but I find it easier to see the strap with the watch in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I'm struggling to find a leather replacement for the bracelet on my Pasha GMT without going to Cartier, and then buy the buckle as well.

I think my next option is to go and buy a fake Pasha in Chinatown here in KL and fit the stap off that!
    I am sure Hirsch used to supply certain straps to Cartier - so there may be something similar in their line-up, although a lot of special order stuff is made for the brands and not available :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I love the blue leather oem on my breitling, only leather strap I've ever taken to.

I do not have any experience with a non-oem strap. So my only experiences are the rally strap on my Tag which hasn't shown any signs of wear after 2 years of regular wrist time. And an Oemga gator purchased from OP which feels very nice indeed but only a few months old, so too early to tell.

I would definately buy an aftermarket strap, but the issue I have is not being able to have a feel/look at one before dropping the money. €200 for a CF is a lot when you are essentially buying blind.

Grand Master
    Best value straps for vintage watches (and modern too) are the Cousins 'Omega style' calf straps at around £6! They're virtually identical to Omega's offering at £45 and they wear well. For £6 you can afford to throw them away when they start looking scruffy. They come with a good quality buckle too......unbelieveable quality for the price.

Cousins black lizard straps are good too, at around £15.

The Hirsch Monza with white stitching is a favourite of mine too at £30. That would suit a modern sports watch too.

For some folks, the manufacturer's original, or something supplied by the manufacturer, will always be preferable. Each to his own, but my days of buying expensive leather straps are over.

Paul

I bought a generic calf strap and deploy from watch obsession recently for my Aerospace. Looks and feels fantastic.

Cousin's "Lizard (padded) Classic" 18mm strap

Anyone know the approx length of Cousin's "Lizard (padded) Classic" 18mm strap for the std length vs XL length?

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/wat...ction-handmade

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Cousins black lizard straps are good too, at around £15.

I'd disagree with the assertion too.

My Cosmonaute came on a Breitling strap and, as I was wearing the watch a fair bit, I decided to store that away and get a Hirsch strap for day to day use.

Aside from the difference in flexibility (as the Breitling strap was old) and the branding, there's no discernible difference imo. Certainly not enough to justify the massive difference in price.

If I was bothered, I'd switch the buckles, but the Hirsch one's smart enough.

I've found UKWatchstraps have a nice selection of lizard (and other) straps, which look great on 'dressier' watches.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    When I read the title of the thread I thought "Well, yes for Breitling, but not for all brands...", and what do I see? :-)

Agree, for Breitling that is..., for the rest I often prefer a Hirsch or Rios.
    Agree on Breitling croco straps, best Ive come across, including Patek and AP.
    Last edited by aksing; 13th September 2013 at 12:52.