closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A G Shock Question?

A G Shock Question?

Well two actually.

I've finally been bitten by the G Shock bug and am looking for a AWG-100... ish. Tried to link a photo but can't seem to manage it at half past a bottle of wine. There are many options but the one I'm interested in comes with, what a believe to be, a resin bracelet. Are these any good? by all reports the finish doesn't last long.

Also G shocks reportedly wear smaller than the large 50ish diameter, is this the case in peoples experience?

Thanks

Damian

Master
    Really interesting topic.
    Before I had a few Protreks I was looking at the AWG101 (different from the 100 because of the red hour hand and the negative displays). They both seem really nice to me.
    Sunlight legibility is a bit of problem for the 101 but I like the red hot hand to much, it would still be my first choice.
    I've seen one in the wild this week and I liked it quite a lot. It didn't look too big or bulky at all.
    And the straps I suppose they're similar to those on the digital G-Shocks so there pretty good.
    All in all, these 2 models really seem the lookers from the analogue range of G-Shocks (at least for me).

Cheers,
    Mihai

Master
    It's not 50mm, it's 46mm, according to Casio.

It doesn't wear very big at all. They're quite tall watches (15mm), and if anyone going to bother you about it size-wise, it'll be the height.

The bracelet is excellent. A plastic bracelet makes it sound like one of those white watches women and camp men from Essex wear, but it works really well, and suits the watch. They do wear fairly quickly on the metal sections.

But one-they don't cost much, and if you sell it on you won't lose much.

Apprentice
    Since the strap comes out from the case at a fixed angle, they can sometimes not conform to the curvature of your wrist very well, which can make them look/feel bigger. However, if you pop the strap sections in boiling water for 20 minutes, they'll soften up nicely and conform much better.

Tom

The joy of G-Shocks is that they are very easy to mod with a variety of straps and bits and pieces easily available from people like TikTox. You can very cheaply end up with a watch how you want it, not necessarily how it came out of the factory... For example a modified GW-M5610-1ER with the strap changed, bars etc.

Quote Originally Posted by damocook View Post
    Well two actually.

I've finally been bitten by the G Shock bug and am looking for a AWG-100... ish. Tried to link a photo but can't seem to manage it at half past a bottle of wine. There are many options but the one I'm interested in comes with, what a believe to be, a resin bracelet. Are these any good? by all reports the finish doesn't last long.

Also G shocks reportedly wear smaller than the large 50ish diameter, is this the case in peoples experience?

Thanks

Damian
    I have Sea Pathfinder for over two years and have no problems with rather hard strap. I found it more durable than soft Casio OEM straps. Must admit that I'm very sceptic obout boiling the strap. Some plastic can change its structure when exposed to high temp.
    I also use Luminox Navy Seal for water sports. It has very soft strap, so You may take a look.
    http://www.luminox.com/watches/sea/

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've not heard of TikTox before, looks a great site. Is there anywhere else you'd recommend for g shock sales / spares / modding?... a part from ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
    Really interesting topic.
    Before I had a few Protreks I was looking at the AWG101 (different from the 100 because of the red hour hand and the negative displays). They both seem really nice to me.
    Sunlight legibility is a bit of problem for the 101 but I like the red hot hand to much, it would still be my first choice.
    I've seen one in the wild this week and I liked it quite a lot. It didn't look too big or bulky at all.
    And the straps I suppose they're similar to those on the digital G-Shocks so there pretty good.
    All in all, these 2 models really seem the lookers from the analogue range of G-Shocks (at least for me).

Cheers,
    Mihai

Nice one, will keep an eye out for the 101... red hand looks great.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    Must admit that I'm very sceptic obout boiling the strap. Some plastic can change its structure when exposed to high temp.
    Skeptic that it would work, or that it would do damage to the strap? If it's the former, I can say with absolute certainty that it makes a difference, at least to the GD100 and the G7500. And yes, that would be due to a change in structure (however slight) I suppose.

As for the latter, my soft-boiled (tee-hee!) G shocks haven't been subjected to particularly strenuous activity, but they don't seem to be marking any more than pre-boil and if they were caught on something I'm pretty sure the spring-bars would break before the strap.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Watcher View Post
    Skeptic that it would work, or that it would do damage to the strap? If it's the former, I can say with absolute certainty that it makes a difference, at least to the GD100 and the G7500. And yes, that would be due to a change in structure (however slight) I suppose.

As for the latter, my soft-boiled (tee-hee!) G shocks haven't been subjected to particularly strenuous activity, but they don't seem to be marking any more than pre-boil and if they were caught on something I'm pretty sure the spring-bars would break before the strap.

T
    Thank You for the info.