closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Is a £13k watch "expensive"...?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

234 94.35%
  • No

14 5.65%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a £13k watch "expensive"

Is a £13k watch "expensive"

Straightforward yes or no. Happy to bow to the collective wisdom...

Yes ....
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    A subjective question surely? To me, yes, that's a fortune, to Bill Gates, perhaps not?

not in this day and age. I think £20K + is expensive and thats why I can't yet justify a skydweller

Of course it is... unless you are both rich AND stupid. Of course, if you are then your opinion doesn't matter anyway ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There are a huge number of watches around £20k, very many around £100K and a great number more expensive than that.

There are also very many watches at a few hundred pounds.

Individual affordability not being part of a rational assessment. I would say relatively speaking that £13k was not in real terms an expensive watch. I voted as such.

Pointless poll (again)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    A subjective question surely? To me, yes, that's a fortune, to Bill Gates, perhaps not?
    Bill Gates - for all his faults - is a logical man and an engineer at heart, and I would hope he would recognise that 13k for a watch is a lot of money irrespective of how much you have in the bank. He might be happy to spend that 13k - or even 130k - but still ;)

Yes.

Whilst clearly there are some very well heeled people on TZ, the average family income in the UK for a year is about £40K.

£13K is a big chunk of that for a luxury item.

Clearly, if you earn more, you can afford to spend more on luxuries.

The fact that most of the most iconic watches are well below that figure also rather indicates it's money for money's sake.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 6th September 2013 at 15:08.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Pointless poll (again)
    Not if you take a look at the YMII thread.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    It is still pointless . Because it's a stupid and ineffective question. But I guess you did your best.

It is for the following reasons:-

It is in direct parallel to that thread and will naturally draw the same polar opposites.

Secondly, if you are measuring if something is 'expensive' you have to contextualise it otherwise the answers are meaningless - what is expensive to one person may not be to another. If the attempt is to qualify if £13k is a lot of money for a watch you have to measure the spectrum of prices across a range of manufacturers and then crunch the numbers.

Thirdly there will be individuals (plenty on here) who have way more than £13k in watches but they may not want that amount in one watch or, as we see in the thread you refer to, they just plain do not like the watch.

It is in direct parallel to that thread and will naturally draw the same polar opposites.
    Yes, but the poll quantifies people's views.

what is expensive to one person may not be to another.
    Exactly why there is a poll.

Thirdly there will be individuals (plenty on here) who have way more than £13k in watches but they may not want that amount in one watch
    Not asking about watch collections, just an individual watch.

or, as we see in the thread you refer to, they just plain do not like the watch.
    Taste is a completely separate debate, that's why I didn't ask whether a YMII was expensive.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is for the following reasons:-

Secondly, if you are measuring if something is 'expensive' you have to contextualise it otherwise the answers are meaningless - what is expensive to one person may not be to another. If the attempt is to qualify if £13k is a lot of money for a watch you have to measure the spectrum of prices across a range of manufacturers and then crunch the numbers.

Thirdly there will be individuals (plenty on here) who have way more than £13k in watches but they may not want that amount in one watch or, as we see in the thread you refer to, they just plain do not like the watch.
    Absolutely correct

Yes, but the poll quantifies people's views.
    It only quantifies the views of those who respond - that is if they answer honestly.

Exactly why there is a poll.
    As I said - you have to put some context to it otherwise it has little meaning.

Not asking about watch collections, just an individual watch.
    I know - the point I was trying to make was somebody may well be happy to have £20k in watches but not be prepared to have £13k in one - that does not make the £13k one expensive it simply means somebody wants to spend their money differently.

Master
    yes if Rolex, no if Patek.

In terms of the whole spectrum of watch prices, I'd say no.

Then again, would depend on individual circumstances.

Malc

I would say yes - because you can get a very good watch for less than that with most all of the features of the 13k watch so it is expensive even if there are other far more expensive watches around. I would also still like a Richard Mille so I don't think one shouldn't necessarily pay that, but it will be expensive...

It only quantifies the views of those who respond - that is if they answer honestly.
    Of course, but that is the limitation of any poll...

Stupid poll. Firstly, personal wealth will always be a factor; secondly, it depends what you're comparing it to (yes, when compared to an SKX007 and no when compared to a JLC Gyrotourbillon).

Master
    I guess it is all relative. I've said yes, as I couldn't ever conceive being in a position where I could afford a £13k watch.

But then I now see £100 watches as 'beaters' and 10 years ago, to me that was an expensive watch - just reinforcing my own view that it's all relative :)

so the OP wants a straightforward answer to a question that is anything but obviously personal wealth is the main factor in this. however, when you consider you can buy a £10 watch the doesn't do anything less than this £13k one (by that i mean tells the time, maybe the date) & does it just as well if not better of course it's expensive

but we all know watches aren't just for telling the time don't we...

I think anybody who has grown up in the real world and experienced having little money when young will see a £13k price tag on a watch as 'expensive' even if they are now wealthy enough to buy one without it denting the bank balance enough to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Stupid poll. Firstly, personal wealth will always be a factor; secondly, it depends what you're comparing it to (yes, when compared to an SKX007 and no when compared to a JLC Gyrotourbillon).
    I don't think personal wealth should make a difference actually, a £200 loaf of bread is still an expensive loaf of bread whether you are a student or an oligarch. I'm not asking if it is affordable, but expensive - a relative value judgement. As for comparison, I'm comparing to the range of watches available.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Bill Gates - for all his faults - is a logical man and an engineer at heart, and I would hope he would recognise that 13k for a watch is a lot of money irrespective of how much you have in the bank. He might be happy to spend that 13k - or even 130k - but still ;)
    Precisely. He may well be able to easily afford it, but he'd still understand that it was an expensive watch.

Master
    Yes, complete waste of money.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Of course, but that is the limitation of any poll...
    No it's not

You could have asked;
    In relative terms given the very high cost watches and the low cost watches and irrelevant to your individual circumstances. Do you consider £13 as
    A Expensive
    B Mid range
    C Cheap

But that's probably much too logical.

I would say depends on how comfortable are you wearing a £13k watch. The most expensive I had was 7k and one day I woke up and thought that was way too much money strapped to my wrist - paranoia kind of started kicking in. But hey if you are confident in the money and any fears about how ghetto your surroundings are then go for it I say!

I would say that "expensive" is a relative term. So it's not possible to say whether or not something is expensive without knowing more about it. If we were talking about a loaf of bread for £200 then, yes, it is expensive because it's well outside the normal price range for that product. Clearly, for a wristwatch at £13,000, that isn't the case. So, it may or may not be expensive, depending on what it is.

If the real question is whether £13,000 is too much to spend on a watch then that again is relative, relative to what you can afford without adversely affecting your ability to make proper provision for your family, maintain a balanced lifestyle or sustain an appropriate level of giving.

You could ask the same question of a £100 watch and the answer would be the same... Yes, because you can find a £5 watch. No, because you can find a £1000 watch.
    Java is right, if your comparing watch prices, the spectrum starts at a few quid and goes upto hundreds of thousands + so in comparison to all watch prices , no, 13k is not expensive.
    It is of course purely relative to your circumstances and your own 'values'.
    When I first started the idea of spending £500 on a watch was a crazy idea. You know the rest...
    Last edited by JasonM; 6th September 2013 at 16:11.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Semantics, I know, but we're confusing "costly" with "expensive".

Any sane person would recognise that a watch with a five digit price tag is costly, but to a percentage of the population,
    it's not an expensive purchase as a fraction of their worth/income.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Of course it's expensive. There is no other sensible answer to that question, irrespective of how many of them Bill Gates can afford. If he bought 20,000 of them, he'd still have bought 20,000 expensive watches.

I mean - you can get a perfectly serviceable, reliable, accourate and presentable watch for £50. You can get a delightful and desirable watch for a few hundred. I would guess that something like 9999 out of every 10,000 watches manufactured cost dramatically less than £13,000. It's not even an argument.

Craftsman
    13k is a lot of money.

Whether something is expensive or not does not depend on the amount of money, but on what you get for it.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Of course it's expensive. There is no other sensible answer to that question, irrespective of how many of them Bill Gates can afford. If he bought 20,000 of them, he'd still have bought 20,000 expensive watches.

I mean - you can get a perfectly serviceable, reliable, accourate and presentable watch for £50. You can get a delightful and desirable watch for a few hundred. I would guess that something like 9999 out of every 10,000 watches manufactured cost dramatically less than £13,000. It's not even an argument.
    So you dont think £200 is expensive for a watch?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Yep (unless it's a PP or similar prestige brand).

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    13k is a lot of money.

Whether something is expensive or not does not depend on the amount of money, but on what you get for it.
    Not according to these people...

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...ve?q=expensive

I think I'll trust them more...

Your definition is more about value for money or 'worth' (perhaps). We might all feel any given watch is WORTH £13K, but some/most will think it's expensive...

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 6th September 2013 at 16:32.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    There are a huge number of watches around £20k, very many around £100K and a great number more expensive than that.

Individual affordability not being part of a rational assessment. I would say relatively speaking that £13k was not in real terms an expensive watch. I voted as such.

Pretty ridiculous view.

Everything is relative to the price of the generic product not the amount of money involved. Is an ocean going yacht expensive at a million pounds? Clearly not.

Now a £13K watch is about a 100 times more expensive than the usual sort of watches most of the worlds population wear.

Average house prices are about £180k in the UK. Is therefore a house costing 18 million best described as expensive? Clearly yes.

An average car might cost £15k. Would a car costing £1.5 million be described as expensive? I think so. A burger costs £3 would a £300 burger be best described as expensive?

Expensive is not relative to the amount of money being spent or the wealth of the purchaser.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 6th September 2013 at 16:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Pretty ridiculous view.

Everything is relative to the price of the generic product not the amount of money involved. Is an ocean going yacht expensive at a million pounds? Clearly not.

Now a £13K watch is about a 100 times more expensive than the usual sort of watches most of the worlds population wear.

Average house prices are about £180k in the UK. Is therefore a house costing 18 million best described as expensive? Clearly yes.

An average car might cost £15k. Would a car costing £1.5 million be described as expensive? I think so. A burger costs £3 would a £300 burger be best described as expensive?

Expensive is not relative to the amount of money being spent or the wealth of the purchaser.

Mitch
    PMSL - you have just undone your own arguments.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    to most people I know, £13K is a lot of cash, whatever way you look at it,

not out of reach for most people either, with loans/saving etc.

but still £13K

I have always thought that expensive is a term that is measured relative to the product or service , with the average being the reference point. Whilst the term affordable is measured relative to the the individual circumstances of the observer.

Therefore relative to the average watch price a 13k watch is rather expensive, but for the loadsa money type characters that abound it is probably quite affordable.
    Last edited by I AM LATE!; 6th September 2013 at 17:04.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I guess it is all relative. I've said yes, as I couldn't ever conceive being in a position where I could afford a £13k watch.

But then I now see £100 watches as 'beaters' and 10 years ago, to me that was an expensive watch - just reinforcing my own view that it's all relative :)

Well said and agreed! When I first joined TZ I saved up for ages to buy a £1000 Damasko and had a couple of £100 beaters. Things have changed somewhat since then. £13k is a lot for watch but in 10 years time I'm sure I won't think so.

Craftsman
    I'm not sure how anyone in the real world can argue that £13 k is not expensive for a watch regardless of personal income or how many similarly priced watches are produced

If anyone on this forum went out in their local town/city and asked 1000 people at random whether £13k was expensive for a watch, I would be amazed if more than 5, let alone 10 people did not think this was the case

I own two Planet oceans that cost me about £5 k in total and 90% of my family and friends think I'm a nutcase!
    Last edited by jimmer42; 6th September 2013 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post

In "real terms" it is enough money to constitute some peoples income for a whole year in this country.
    The £20k watches you mention are even more expensive watches, and the £100k ones are VERY expensive watches.

In LaLa land, however, Im sure apples cost a ten thousand pounds each and bread is sixteen thousand pounds a loaf - so a £13k watch is cheap as chips (chips being £13k a serving in LaLa Land).

I think rephrasing the question to something like -Is 13k a lot of money for a watch would overcome a lot of objections people have to the poll.
    It would still remain relative but then,we pass judgements on issues or questions that are 'relative' all the time.

Master
    Pointless poll (again)
    +1.

(Wiki says: for 2009) The national average UK net HOUSEHOLD income is ~£17,000 a year. And you're asking if a £13k WATCH is expensive?

On average, yes it is....

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    to most people I know, £13K is a lot of cash, whatever way you look at it,

not out of reach for most people either, with loans/saving etc.

but still £13K
    Good reply.
    A billionaire can AFFORD a great many expensive things - but they are still expensive, regardless of how "affordable" he might find them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    In "real terms" it is enough money to constitute some peoples income for a whole year in this country.
    The £20k watches you mention are even more expensive watches, and the £100k ones are VERY expensive watches.

In LaLa land, however, Im sure apples cost a ten thousand pounds each and bread is sixteen thousand pounds a loaf - so a £13k watch is cheap as chips (chips being £13k a serving in LaLa Land).
    The Aye's have it.... :)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think rephrasing the question to something like -Is 13k a lot of money for a watch would overcome a lot of objections people have to the poll.
    It would still remain relative but then,we pass judgements on issues or questions that are 'relative' all the time.
    The poll result - landslide that it is - would remain much the same.
    Our out of touch friend Java has just lost an argument here - lets see if he has the good grace to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post

You and most people in this thread are putting their own spin or context on the definition of 'expensive', everyone is making different comparisons or scenarios which just shows what a ill thought out question it is really.....

Context is everything.....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    This is getting childish.

You're arguing over the definition of "expensive" and whatever you think the "real world" is. You won't agree.