closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vostok Ministry.... vintage mod

Vostok Ministry.... vintage mod

I made something different this week, so I thought I’d share.

It’s a pretty common Vostok Ministry with Zissou dial. Basicly a well designed and cheapo Russian watch. Nowadays these have stainless steel cases (used to be brass) however still with the brass/chromed bezel.

So, what did I do?

Bezel:
    First tried brushing it with Garryflex, but that only took the chrome of the edges (the chrome on these is very thick btw!). So I had to change to several grids of sandpaper to get things moving and when the chrom was finaly removed I finished it with the Garryflex in order to get a sunburst type of finish.

Dial:
    First I cleaned off all writing, these dials are pretty busy and I wanted a more sterile look so a good cleaning with terpentine took care of that, however still leaving a shiny black dial.
    The solution to that was simple, but made my wife a bit angry It took about one hour on 250 degrees in the oven, leaving not only a very burnt-egg-smell in the house, but also a lovely matt brown/black finish on the dial. Another nice touch presented itself as well…. the metal markers had turned blue!

Hands:
    Again in the oven and after 20 minutes the red secondhand turned rusty brown with a nice dark vanilla/orange colour. However the hour and minute hand did nothing. A problem which was quickly solved with one of my daughters markers and then another 45 minutes in the oven, giving the lume the same “aged” end result

Movement:
    An automatik in a vintage is like a spoiler on a old car, so I removed the rotor, which leaves it now as a manual wind, without have to worry of overwinding it and no more “wobble” on the wrist.

Strap:
    The easiest part…. the crappy steel bracelet is now in the bin and the choises are either a thick brown or vintage black leather from Steinhart, or a blue nato.

And of course…. Pictures

Great job, interesting read and it certainly looks different. I'm not sure I agree about removing the rotor though - automatics have been around for many years and assuming it's a Vostok 2416B you don't really feel too much wobble anyway.

That's pretty cool! Hmmm.....

Nice piece! Will you leave the polished finish? Brushed would look cool too!

Quote Originally Posted by bricem13 View Post
    Nice piece! Will you leave the polished finish? Brushed would look cool too!
    I've had a few questions on that on another forum where I've shown it. In fact that would look cool, however I decided to turn some things around and put this dial and movement in an Amphibian Classic "1967" reissue model which I already brushed and created a whole new dial for this Ministry one.

I just finished this evening and it's bad lighting now, so I will make some new pics when it's better light

That's a cracking result, especially the bezel, and I quite like the shadowing of the original printing on the dial. Looking forward to the next evolution.
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Vell done Comrad, zat iz both veird und vunderful !

As promised.... new pics.

Wow! Is that carpet....?!