closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bamford custom Rolx

Bamford custom Rolx

http://www.bamfordwatchdepartment.com/

not a bad customizing site at all, you can even see what the engraving looks like

kinda pricey natos though

http://www.bamfordwatchdepartment.co...TO-Watch-Strap

anybody have one of these mods?

I do like how the description of the NATOs is still in draft form, which the question as to what material they're made from remaining unanswered

how's that thing go? lorus ipsum

They'll no doubt get a pounding from the Rolex traditionalists, but the yacht master is a definite improvement and the Milgauss series are mostly nice.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    They'll no doubt get a pounding from the Rolex traditionalists, but the yacht master is a definite improvement and the Milgauss series are mostly nice.
    I wouldn't have thought that version would be more legible at sea under racing conditions than the original, to be honest, quite the reverse ...

I met Mr. Bamford in Switzerland a while back and he was wearing a really, really nice blacked-out Rolex DSSD. That one is one of few good BWD watches I have seen.

I have mine on order right now:

Apprentice

bamford

not bad case and dial work, but the hands are horrific!!!! you cant see it on the images.

There's a chap called "Watch Anish" who has a 'blog / website and also Tweets. He posted a photo of one of these watches, copying in the official Rolex Twitter account. They responded that the watch was not a Rolex, which I found interesting.

Horrible job

I wonder why Rolex would want to distance themselves from it and dis-own any connection with it?

Master
    I could live with this

Master
    Oh god, I like some of them. Not paying rolex prices x2 for this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    I wonder why Rolex would want to distance themselves from it and dis-own any connection with it?

Just interesting to see them condemn these things so publically. You don’t – for example – see Seiko being so aggressively anti-modding. Or perhaps you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Just interesting to see them condemn these things so publically. You don’t – for example – see Seiko being so aggressively anti-modding. Or perhaps you do?
    I guess it is because they look so different to their designs, they are a bastardisation of their design and they look pretty awful as well...inho of course.

Rolex will allow modding but only if they do it or it is done by one of their accredited repair agents and only amounts to the exchange of some parts.
    Last edited by Steve748; 28th August 2013 at 09:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    I guess it is because they look so different to their designs, they are a bastardisation of their design and they look pretty awful as well...inho of course.

Rolex will allow modding but only if they do it or it is done by one of their accredited repair agents and only amounts to the exchange of some parts.
    Have you seen the mini-modding industry that's sprung up around Seikos? It's how Bill Yao and Dagaz started out, IIRC.

I have heard of Bill Yao and Dagaz but not explored what they have been doing. I have seen some 'modded Seiko on SC but they look like a normal watch to the un-educated eye like mine.

Master
    As it happens I saw someone wearing this blackened Rolex (or a similar model couldn't tell due to distance) in my regular coffee place.

I have to say that it's less "in your face" as I always expected

VA

Quote Originally Posted by ads54 View Post
    I could live with this

Black rolex is so last week....

Quote Originally Posted by VA View Post
    As it happens I saw someone wearing this blackened Rolex (or a similar model couldn't tell due to distance) in my regular coffee place.

I have to say that it's less "in your face" as I always expected

VA
    Prohunter also make DLC Rolexes, could have been one of them

http://www.discoverprohunter.com/

do see quite a few Hunter blacked out Rolex around

how does the coating age?

Journeyman
    Not my style.

Journeyman
    wow. never seen or even heard about this sort of thing before. really interesting

The only one I could get excited about is the Daytona with the Paul Newman dial, but then only to put the dial back into a normal stainless case. I would imagine that for the average Bamford customer the expense of this would be a mere bagatelle. Then again maybe I'll wait for the Smiths George Eyston (or whatever it gets called).

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

This has been discussed on this forum so many times it's really starting to feel like Groundhog Day around here!

Apprentice

Pvd

This is such a rubbish thing to waste time on, however.

Who in their right mind would black a Cosmo? Honestly, there must be an understanding of what a Cosmo is in the first place, to buy one. It's an important watch, valjoux 72, zenith el primero 4030, the rate was reduced so that it could run reliably with a free sprung overcoil. 4130, the rolex movement, an example of a modern repairable chrono.
    The sports watches, maybe, Kamal does it best. Pro hunter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by media_mute View Post
    how does the coating age?
    It's not like paint – it's fussed to the metal, permeating into the surface a good few microns down.
    It's inert, so won't be affected by salt water or UV rays.