closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 1344

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

  1. #201
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    4,262
    Blog Entries
    1
    For me my Loake Chester's 'F' fit needed to be 8.5 but Grenson Fred's with 'G' fit 8 is plenty big enough.

    Paul

  2. #202
    This looks like a great deal

    http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/natio...es-10/31659407

    Anyone tried Samuel Windsor shoes?

  3. #203
    I had some DM's bought for me last spring and I'm still wearing them in , great in the cold weather with the chunky sole and lighter in colour than the picture :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #204
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    This looks like a great deal

    http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/natio...es-10/31659407

    Anyone tried Samuel Windsor shoes?
    Samuel Windsor are not great quality, just your average high street stuff. They seem cheap but that's all they are worth.

  5. #205
    Craftsman Eamonn345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by K80 View Post
    Samuel Windsor are not great quality, just your average high street stuff. They seem cheap but that's all they are worth.
    Couldn't agree more. Edward Green or Church's for me

  6. #206
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    4,262
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    This looks like a great deal

    http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/natio...es-10/31659407

    Anyone tried Samuel Windsor shoes?
    I ordered some Chelsea boots some years ago and the quality was shocking. Spent my money on Loakes which are still going strong.

    Paul

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn345 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Edward Green or Church's for me
    I saw the Samuel Windsor flyer in the Sunday Times yesterday....I think they're going for a different market from Churches, Loake etc, what with their offer of two pairs for £60!!

  8. #208
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,866

    O'Keeffe

    Picked up some O'Keeffe brogues in the Mr Porter sale - 50% off. Don't really know anything about the brand beyond them being hand made in Italy but very pleased with them - very fine soft calf leather, sleek profile, immediately comfortable and chunky commando soles that I wanted for this wet weather. They're already getting a really nice worn in look with fine creases (that I understand is a sign of quality calf leather).


  9. #209
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    316
    Those O'Keefe boots look superb. May I ask was was the reduced price in the Mr Porter sale?

  10. #210
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,866
    £247 including delivery. I was a little nervous about buying a brand which doesn't make in the UK but needn't have been - solid Goodyear welt, really good quality calf leather plus an elegant sleek last.

    Quote Originally Posted by shottab View Post
    Those O'Keefe boots look superb. May I ask was was the reduced price in the Mr Porter sale?

  11. #211
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    316
    That's a very good price for a stunning looking pair of boots!!!

  12. #212
    Craftsman bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    seaham county durham uk
    Posts
    894
    john white and crockett and jones




    bowie

  13. #213
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,866

    Sanders

    Don't know if anyone is familiar with the English brand Sanders - I believe they used to have the contract for making the British army boots?

    Here are some Sanders red/brown solid brogues with brick red rubber soles - just gave them a lick of Renapur leather balsam which has brought them up nicely, great in the wet weather


  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    john white and crockett and jones




    bowie
    My missus would have a hissy fit if I put my shoes on the bed.

  15. #215
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,022
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    john white and crockett and jones




    bowie
    Get some decent shoe trees in those bad boys!

  16. #216
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    668

    Cool Just grabbed some new paira!

    On clearance and luckily in size to fit my fat feet!




  17. #217
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    823
    Those Chelsea boots are nice. Where from ?

  18. #218
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N.ireland
    Posts
    3,601
    I definately blame this forum.My interest got going when someone talked about quality of vintage Floesheim Imperial brogues.After few false starts with sizing,which luckily fit my son ,now bought several pairs.I get these from USA via e-bay ,not everyone would be comfortable with used shoes but after watch experience dos'nt bother me.The quality is superb,much better than brogues bought new for £230 and the Florsheims cost only £30-50 !!!,but postage and import fees add to expense but still a real bargain and lovely to wear.
    So far have one pair of Florsheim another of Hanover and looking at some Hanover Cordovan Oxfords at present.Will post pics later.

    Last edited by Dr.f; 19th January 2014 at 12:51.

  19. #219
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    280
    I have shoes like some of you have watches. It's a thing of mine. I must have 100 pairs, all in their boxes, with trees, and the original receipt in the box. I definitely have a shoe problem.

    By far my favourite shoes are my vintage Shanghais from Church's. They're so comfortable. I've got the leather brogue, the burnished suede brogue and the oxfords. They're artifically aged and have a thick, hard, 'rubber' sole. They're all discontinued now, although if I see any NOS I'll just buy them. The current range of Shanghai's don't do it for me, there are a lot of aprons and look a bit like golf shoes. I'm currently wearing a pair.

    The leather brogues and the suede lancasters are shown here:



    There's absolutely zero chance of finding these NOS now, which is very annoying although they're probably too pricey for me nowadays.

    I'm pretty impressed with the Church's Lamport. I have the capped Oxfords rather than brogues. There's a full brogue in that last but I don't like it so much, it looks a bit pointy for my taste. The crossover between Prada and Church's is becoming more noticeable IMO, and some of the more exclusive lines are actually Italian rather than from Northampton. This doesn't bother me, and the cross contamination is more noticeable on the Prada branded shoe than the Church's shoe.

    For 'cheaper' brogues I think it's hard to beat the Barrington 2's from Crockett and Jones. I think they're about £450 or so but come without shoe trees. They're really great straight from the box, I'm very impressed with the hand grade shoes from Crockett's. Also, the ankle boots were worn by Bond in Skyfall, although that model is long gone I believe.

    I've got/had other shoes from places like Loakes (rubbish, IMO), Grenson (pretty decent), Paul Smith (unremittingly bad), Sweeneys (older styles were great, since the buyout a bit less so), Hugo Boss (terrible) and Prada (actually really good across the range). I've also got a pair of Lobb's which were silly money. I've got a few pairs from Mr Hare, I think these are OK but my general opinion is that they are more a fashion shoe rather than a 'proper' shoe and I probably won't be going back for more.

    Trainers - I have many.

    For 'cheaper' shoes I like what Charles Tyrwhitt do. They took a bit of breaking in but now they're really good and for £150 or so are very good value.

    Cheers

    Paul 'Imelda' Stomach

  20. #220
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,022
    Good grief - that's impressive. The vintage Church's are beautiful, and as an aside Charles Tyrwhitt shoes are all made by Loake.

    Where do you keep your 100 boxed pairs of shoes, by the way? Photo please

  21. #221
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    823
    The boots in skyfall , the Tetbury, are still part of the range .

  22. #222
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good grief - that's impressive. The vintage Church's are beautiful, and as an aside Charles Tyrwhitt shoes are all made by Loake.

    Where do you keep your 100 boxed pairs of shoes, by the way? Photo please
    I'm away at the mo so no pics, they're in wardrobes, on top of wardrobes, piled on the floor, everywhere. Mrs Stomach has given up complaining.

    Interesting that Loakes make the Tyrwhitt shoes I didn't know that, I may have to re-evaluate Loakes in that case. I'd love to be wrong on my previous view tbh as Crocketts and Church's are expensive although realistically I don't actually need any new shoes. Potentially I may never need another pair, I'm 42 now and a good pair lasts 10-20 years when rotated and cared for properly.

    I think the CT shoes are very good, and have the 6 month no quibble guarantee as well which is very useful.

  23. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    I definately blame this forum.My interest got going when someone talked about quality of vintage Floesheim Imperial brogues.After few false starts with sizing,which luckily fit my son ,now bought several pairs.I get these from USA via e-bay ,not everyone would be comfortable with used shoes but after watch experience dos'nt bother me.The quality is superb,much better than brogues bought new for £230 and the Florsheims cost only £30-50 !!!,but postage and import fees add to expense but still a real bargain and lovely to wear.
    So far have one pair of Florsheim another of Hanover and looking at some Hanover Cordovan Oxfords at present.Will post pics later.

    I have the same Hanover Sheppards. They stopped making them over 40 years ago.

  24. #224
    Craftsman bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    seaham county durham uk
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    My missus would have a hissy fit if I put my shoes on the bed.

    I always wash the soles before I put them away so no dog shit on

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Get some decent shoe trees in those bad boys!

    good idea

  25. #225
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,022
    Wrist shot...


  26. #226
    Commando soles….not good with a gravel driveway.

  27. #227
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lincolnshire (UK)
    Posts
    1,293
    Had a pair of these arrive last week:

    http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/fred-1991

    Better sole for walking in autumn/winter. Really liking them so far.

    Going to check out the vintage Church's - they look ACE :)

  28. #228
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Commando soles….not good with a gravel driveway.
    And imagine trying to extract dog dirt from Commando soles

  29. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    And imagine trying to extract dog dirt from Commando soles
    I saw that one on The Royal,Family :-(

  30. #230
    Got brogue disease too. Couldn't decide about colour and ordered two - Barker Grassington in Cedar grain and Loake Badminton.



    Badmintons are going back, because of they are a bit wide.

  31. #231
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Got brogue disease too. Couldn't decide about colour and ordered two - Barker Grassington in Cedar grain and Loake Badminton.



    Badmintons are going back, because of they are a bit wide.
    Shame, I think they are a better colour

  32. #232
    OK, my joy lasted exactly one day..

    I noticed that shoes rock back to front. It was not very noticeable on a carpet, but more on hardwood floor. I took them off and to my surprise heel was not level on floor, it had ~3-4 mm gap at the back of shoe. If I press heel to floor, front lifts up ~8mm.

    heel



    front, when heel is pressed flat.



    What do you say? Is it normal or should I return them?

  33. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    OK, my joy lasted exactly one day..

    I noticed that shoes rock back to front. It was not very noticeable on a carpet, but more on hardwood floor. I took them off and to my surprise heel was not level on floor, it had ~3-4 mm gap at the back of shoe. If I press heel to floor, front lifts up ~8mm.


    What do you say? Is it normal or should I return them?
    My cheap and cheerful M&S work shoes do that..about 3-4mm at the front when heel pressed hard....my Charles Tyrwhitt brogues most certainly don't.

  34. #234
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,087
    Tricker's Stow Espresso on Dainite and C & J Harry (The Skyfall Islay boot but on a wider last). As superb as the Tricker's are, I prefer the C&Js so Tricker's are up for sale on SC at the moment (apologies for the shameful plug).

  35. #235
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    4,262
    Blog Entries
    1
    Chester's getting a well deserved outing to Bury St Eds this weekend.

    Comfy as heck and the colour is just so right.

    Paul

    Last edited by Pitch3110; 25th January 2014 at 17:05.

  36. #236
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,022
    ^^^ Fantastic colour. I bought some Cheaneys a couple of years ago in that shade and I love them.

  37. #237
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    438
    Church's, all the way. Half a dozen pairs, one brown pair, the rest black. As said before, will last 20 years if rotated properly.
    Never been able to wear their Monk though and have tried other makes as well - they crease badly across the instep. have others had this problem?

  38. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    OK, my joy lasted exactly one day..

    I noticed that shoes rock back to front. It was not very noticeable on a carpet, but more on hardwood floor. I took them off and to my surprise heel was not level on floor, it had ~3-4 mm gap at the back of shoe. If I press heel to floor, front lifts up ~8mm.

    What do you say? Is it normal or should I return them?
    No, it's fairly normal. They'll settle.

  39. #239
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    4,262
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ^^^ Fantastic colour. I bought some Cheaneys a couple of years ago in that shade and I love them.
    Cheers Tony.

    Fortunately we didn't have to fight over the wedding Aniversary weekend footwear unlike watches. I wanted the 16570 Mrs P did also, so I ended up with the IWC Mark XVII (resting the 14060). Please be assured I am wearing the trousers though. 👍😏

    Ta
    Paul

  40. #240
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    Church's, all the way. Half a dozen pairs, one brown pair, the rest black. As said before, will last 20 years if rotated properly.
    Never been able to wear their Monk though and have tried other makes as well - they crease badly across the instep. have others had this problem?
    I haven't been able to wear monks (either single or the oh so fashionable double) for long enough to find out! For some reason, regardless of the make or price, they are always too tight across the top of my foot.

    The sales guy at Lobb thought this was weird, but I think he was trying to get me to buy some bespoke double monks. I daren't even think how expensive that would be as their off the peg shoes are pretty steep.

    Mrs Stomach just got a pair of Grenson's Rose style brogues, they look really nice. I may need to investigate Grenson.

  41. #241
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    438
    The guy at Church's in Jermyn Street reckons it's fairly common if you have a high instep. True or BS I know not...

  42. #242
    Quite interested in a pair of the Loake's.
    What is the fit like, do they run a little large (thinking of ordering a pair of the Chester brogues)?

  43. #243
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    4,262
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Quite interested in a pair of the Loake's.
    What is the fit like, do they run a little large (thinking of ordering a pair of the Chester brogues)?
    I think I made reference earlier in the thread but to assist.

    I am generally an 8 which in G Fitting Grensons (my Fred C boots) is fine. But the Chester's are F so therefore a narrower fit and I had to size up to 8.5. The 8's nipped across my feet and 9's were huge.

    Funny enough Debenhams stock them and they do quite often offer online saving codes where a nice little saving can be had. Top Cashback can save another 5%.

    Mine worked out under £150 I recall

    You will not be disappointed, as the colour is great.

    Paul

  44. #244
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Harrow
    Posts
    4,004
    Out last night in my new Barbour brogues with a commando sole. And on the second time of wearing I have had the real pleasure of cleaning dog sh*t out of them. Aaargh.
    Going to buy a pair with dainite soles today for night wear.

  45. #245
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    7,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Out last night in my new Barbour brogues with a commando sole. And on the second time of wearing I have had the real pleasure of cleaning dog sh*t out of them. Aaargh.
    Going to buy a pair with dainite soles today for night wear.
    Is that the Ilkley? When I first wore mine they weighed a ton but I'm getting used to them now. Very comfortable though.

    Rod

  46. #246
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Harrow
    Posts
    4,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Is that the Ilkley? When I first wore mine they weighed a ton but I'm getting used to them now. Very comfortable though.

    Rod
    It is. Picked them up in Windsor for just over £100 in a sale. The weight is a surprise, but they are certainly comfortable to wear - have just been out in them.

    Have just bought another pair of brogues (my second) off the Herring website this morning (with thanks to whoever pointed me in that direction much earlier in the thread).

  47. #247
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    1,477
    Does anyone here put a rubber sole on their new brogues? I usually do it so I don't have to rebuild the entire sole and I get some better grip when walking to and from work.

  48. #248
    I wouldn't advise it. When the rubber wears through what do you do then? Better to have leather for dry and man-made for wet.

  49. #249
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I wouldn't advise it. When the rubber wears through what do you do then? Better to have leather for dry and man-made for wet.
    Replace the rubber top sole when it starts wearing through. I've not had a problem yet and don't want to think about changing shoes throughout the day.

  50. #250
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Does anyone here put a rubber sole on their new brogues? I usually do it so I don't have to rebuild the entire sole and I get some better grip when walking to and from work.
    If I wanted a rubber sole I'd buy a dainite one, not leather .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •