closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    They do seem cheap. How is the quality vs their 1880 range of shoes?
    Not got them yet as ordered online. I asked what the rrp was and guy started they don't really have one due to the fact they're constructed from the leftover leather but are probably comparable to ones about £150-160. They've been despatched but I'll not get them till Saturday die to being away.

Expect them not to be anywhere near as good as the top range stuff but like the fact they're sort of rare/limited run.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    You are Homer Simpson
    That's exactly what I thought!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t955daytona View Post
    Gratuitous work foot shot, Grenson Fred with commando soles, 2nd winter in.
    Nice pic of the ET, heat tower is that?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Nice pic of the ET, heat tower is that?
    EGUW

Not sure if anyone is into Barkers but I pop to the factory shop when I'm passing. I got a few pairs for over a third off and they just have tiny marks on them - which you'd do yourself in a day or so.

Stock is a bit of pot luck, but if you're near it's worth a visit:

http://www.barker-shoes.co.uk/BarkerRetail.aspx

It's in Earl's Barton, just outside of Northampton

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomWazza View Post
    A nice pair of Loakes I bought from Slaters in Cheltenham, very comfy out of the box!

Just going to head to Worcester in them for a few beers.

Nice shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw_y2k View Post
    After you've got a bit of dry wear on the soles, get some of this and apply several decent layers to the soles, letting it soak in in between layers. It won't fully waterproof the soles, but it will make them a lot less like sponges if you're unlucky enough to get caught out in the rain.
    Interesting - does dubbin affect the grip on the leather soles?

Looks like good stuff - I think I will use some to feed and moisturise a dry old leather jacket.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t955daytona View Post
    EGUW
    Ahh, I am ex EGQL.

My Loake George arrived yesterday. Fantastic. Extremely happy and can't believe they were only £99.95. Brilliant value.

Blog Entries
    Week in and I could not recommend my Grenson commando Fred's enough. Here they are in the chippy earlier.

I spent yesterday at a bash in my Chester's and they are like slippers and by far the best shoes I have ever had.

Ta
    Paul
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 23rd November 2013 at 17:43.

Loakes do seem to be enjoying a bit of a resurgence. I have 2 pairs one at least 15 years old and one brand new. Lovely shoes.

On a side note for those local to Cardiff. Brand new shop in the Morgan Arcade called the Brogue Trader selling - you guessed it. They are majoring on Loake at the moment, they have some Cheaney and some Chruches as well. (apparently Loake hold extensive stock so re-supply is quite quick, I gather Church and Cheaney don't so you have to wait for them to make the shoes. Of course that might be sales BS.) Nice shop - blokes shoes only. Must ask them about Grenson.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Interesting - does dubbin affect the grip on the leather soles?

Looks like good stuff - I think I will use some to feed and moisturise a dry old leather jacket.
    Gave the soles of my new Cheaneys a few good layers after breaking the soles in, had to walk about half a mile between work and the station the other day and it was raining, grip was fine.

That said, going to order a pair of these to wear over the winter for when it gets really wet.

Gave the soles of my new Cheaneys a few good layers after breaking the soles in, had to walk about half a mile between work and the station the other day and it was raining, grip was fine.

That said, going to order a pair of these to wear over the winter for when it gets really wet.
    Those look really nice, as do the ones in rough red brown leather, lovely.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Week in and I could not recommend my Grenson commando Fred's enough. Here they are in the chippy earlier.

I spent yesterday at a bash in my Chester's and they are like slippers and by far the best shoes I have ever had.

Ta
    Paul
    Looks cool, how much did you pay?

Master

Cool

Wonder could i interject in this thread to ask some advice.Have a pair of Church's Fawsley

which are about 30yrs old and wonder does anybody know what last they are ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    Looks cool, how much did you pay?
    They retail at £215. Monster sole that will be great for the snow

Paul

Grand Master
    Just over 10 years old and need a polish, originally these were light tan but my Edwards replaced them in colour

RIAC

Journeyman
    New work shoes, Cheaney Broad with Dainite sole for winter

Some really nice footwear on display here, gents!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I bought a pair of these, 'Paddington' brogues from Charles Tyrwhitt, super comfy...£129 unless you are very unlucky to buy them in the two weeks a year they go for £260
    I've been eyeing this particular model for a while now as I'm in the market for my first pair of Brogues. Would you care to share some first-hand experience with it?

Here's my John Whites....
    Bought from TK Max for half price.. Good deal.

Journeyman
    Early Xmas present to myself

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    I've been eyeing this particular model for a while now as I'm in the market for my first pair of Brogues. Would you care to share some first-hand experience with it?
    My 'experience' is that CT is okay value, but you'll do better if you can find the original supplier.
    My personal recommendation is Pediwear, most of the British manufactured brands & they won't be beaten on price + freebies in the parcel too.

Master
    Early Xmas present to myself

Really rather nice. What's this one called?
    Last edited by KurtKlaus; 13th December 2013 at 22:17.

Gorgeous
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Just over 10 years old and need a polish, originally these were light tan but my Edwards replaced them in colour

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Really rather nice. What's this one called?
    Thanks, they're Golosh boot in cuba waxy leather.

Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    Some really nice footwear on display here, gents!

Really enjoying them, I've done several all day trips in them and they were comfy straight out of the box...give them a try if you are near one of their shops

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    My 'experience' is that CT is okay value, but you'll do better if you can find the original supplier.
    My personal recommendation is Pediwear, most of the British manufactured brands & they won't be beaten on price + freebies in the parcel too.
    Thanks for the advice. Intel gathered so far suggests that the abovementioned shoe may be made by Barker, so I suppose it should be good quality.
    Pediwear do have a great selection, but since I am located in Germany returns are a bit of a bother.

Grand Master
    Another few days in town and I have added a set of Cheaney Tweed C Brogue Boots, tried on 6-7 pairs from Grenson, Loake, Barker, & Churches and despite owning Churches and Loake brogues and rating them all very highly I found these boots to be the finest ever. Amazing production by Cheaney as a company, not much left like it these days

RIAC

Picked these up today from Charles Tyrwhitt - reduced from £220 to £79! Their shoes are all made by Loake, incidentally.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Awaiting delivery of two pairs of Grenson's tomorrow.

Gone for casual Alex and Herbie.

Brogue wise for work I wear Clark's lol.

Master
    Another few days in town and I have added a set of Cheaney Tweed C Brogue Boots, tried on 6-7 pairs from Grenson, Loake, Barker, & Churches and despite owning Churches and Loake brogues and rating them all very highly I found these boots to be the finest ever. Amazing production by Cheaney as a company, not much left like it these days

No picture I'm afraid, but I've recently purchased a pair of Cheaney ''Fiennes'' and as you say, the quality is nothing short of superb in my opinion. These boots could easily last me 20 years plus. Goodyear welted, totally waterproof with a commando sole & a proper leather heel, so can be resoled many times if the uppers are looked after. Not cheap, but they will pay for themselves after 3 or 4 years use, with more years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Picked these up today from Charles Tyrwhitt - reduced from £220 to £79! Their shoes are all made by Loake, incidentally.

They look great, especially at that price. Not sure if I would keep the laces though?

Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    They look great, especially at that price. Not sure if I would keep the laces though?
    They came with a pair of red laces too. Seriously

Had these on again tonight for the pub, bought them late '74 or early '75, so @ 38 yrs old. Been back to Trickers a couple of times for resoling/refurb with Itshide Commando soles, cost me £22 new back then. @ £360 now! Been worn through some bad winters in the snow and slush, but kept nice with TLC..........

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    CT are really cheeky with their prices.....you would be incredibly unlucky to ever pay the 'Was' price....it's almost literally two-three weeks a year that everything gets put up to that price. That said I got some of their chukka boots on Saturday, now just waiting for the weather to buck up so I can wear them!!

Anyone looking for the brogue boot look should try these http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men%27s-sh...n||||||||||||| although not my cup of tea they did look very impressive in the shop!!

HMF and veterans receive a 15% discount from Herring Shoes.

The 'Shubar' in Ashton under Lyne (near Mcr) are selling these for about £200 now in their sale. Almost got a pair myself!

Grand Master
    Really I'd be surprised as they are all governed by cheaney I think so I will have a good moan and a refund if they are
    RIAC

Really I'd be surprised as they are all governed by cheaney I think so I will have a good moan and a refund if they are
    They are about £250, but there is 20% off this price at the moment. I didn't buy them as the only pair in my size had a mark on one of the seams, I'm waiting on a new batch to be delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    CT are really cheeky with their prices.....you would be incredibly unlucky to ever pay the 'Was' price....it's almost literally two-three weeks a year that everything gets put up to that price. That said I got some of their chukka boots on Saturday, now just waiting for the weather to buck up so I can wear them!!

Anyone looking for the brogue boot look should try these http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men%27s-sh...n||||||||||||| although not my cup of tea they did look very impressive in the shop!!
    That's very true, but not necessarily so with regard to their shoes. I've certainly looked at them numerous times and they've been at full price (whilst the shirts, etc are of course always "reduced").

Craftsman

Currently wearing(or should I say WAS wearing as the booze has taken its toll on my New Years dancing feet) some Navy suede Mark Mcnairy brogue boots, made by Sanders of Northampton.

Blog Entries
    Walking round Aldeburgh this afternoon and there is a pop up shoe shop selling Sanders brogues, boots and shoes (slight seconds) for £115.00. Looked at a pair of Fakenhams and could see nothing wrong with them. Loads of sizes and some cracking brogue boots.

Also a good splash of Grenson and Trickers also. I really had to struggle to keep my hands in my pockets, but with the recently purchased Chester's, Fred's and a new pair of TB Guri's for work thanks to the HoF sale (£87.00), there are just so many shoes you can buy in the space of a few weeks.

Paul

These are my brogues for work. I own 10 pairs in black. Am a big fan of edward green and church's.

Those look great. Having seen this thread, I think I will be looking for a decent pair for leisure and a pair of decent work shoes. I've seen Loake, Barkers and Churchs mentioned On this forum. How do these brands compare?

Is there a store in London which stock all these brands?

Craftsman

Cool I have many versions and varieties

These are what I have pics of:

Craftsman
    Gents, I'm looking for sizing adice.

I really fancy a pair of Grensons. The problem is they aren't stocked anywhere in Dublin, so I'm thinking of buying online direct from Grenson.

I'm a size 10 but I take a size 9 in all of my brogues (Church's, Loakes and Barkers).

Does anyone know what the sizing is like with Grensons - do you think it would be a safe bet going with a 9?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Gents, I'm looking for sizing adice.

I really fancy a pair of Grensons. The problem is they aren't stocked anywhere in Dublin, so I'm thinking of buying online direct from Grenson.

I'm a size 10 but I take a size 9 in all of my brogues (Church's, Loakes and Barkers).

Does anyone know what the sizing is like with Grensons - do you think it would be a safe bet going with a 9?
    I'm normally a 10, well my Loakes and Jeffery Wests are 10's, but with Grenson I'm a 9.5.

To be honest from what you've said I'd go for a 9 as they do come up a bit large.

Anyone know of Discount websites?

So, for work I usually wear my Kurt Geiger Ringos, they are ok for the money and being an Architect Im normally walking on Building Sites.

Recently they fell apart, they were well used and I had my money's worth! I haste, I put on my trusty Barkers which I normally only take out for
    special occassions. I bought them when I was feeling flush and I love them so say the least, so now they are covered in concrete and will, in time fall apart aswell :(

Does anyone know of any decent online stores, hopefully not ebay where they sell last seasons stock or seconds for a resonable price? They dont have to be Barker but of a similar quality.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    I'm normally a 10, well my Loakes and Jeffery Wests are 10's, but with Grenson I'm a 9.5.

To be honest from what you've said I'd go for a 9 as they do come up a bit large.
    Cheers:)

Craftsman

Cool Yes

Try Amazon or better yet Amazon Prime if you know anyone with a Prime account.

Quote Originally Posted by miniman1983 View Post
    So, for work I usually wear my Kurt Geiger Ringos, they are ok for the money and being an Architect Im normally walking on Building Sites.

Recently they fell apart, they were well used and I had my money's worth! I haste, I put on my trusty Barkers which I normally only take out for
    special occassions. I bought them when I was feeling flush and I love them so say the least, so now they are covered in concrete and will, in time fall apart aswell :(

Does anyone know of any decent online stores, hopefully not ebay where they sell last seasons stock or seconds for a resonable price? They dont have to be Barker but of a similar quality.