closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1575

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Absolutely - I would have been really happy with the Pietro had I not had both side by side

I couldn’t justify keeping both so have sent the Pietro back
    Do you find the Rivetti a complete *(&*&!@!@wat to put on?
    I dont have massive flappy feet but have to take most of the laces out to get the things on...

Master
    Lovely though

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Lovely though
    That leather looks beautiful quality

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Do you find the Rivetti a complete *(&*&!@!@wat to put on?
    I dont have massive flappy feet but have to take most of the laces out to get the things on...
    Yeah they are difficult to get on - I’m hoping that as I break them in they get a bit easier

Some images below of them - I still can’t embed photos on here

The leather is fantastic quality

https://imgur.com/gallery/NqxZn4C

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If you're going to put some rubber on your soles, why not get dainite from the start?
    Leather is far from perfect for a sole, especially in wet weather and the oil is a good way to preserve it and keep your feet dry(drier). It can also be very slippery in tiled hallways when it's been raining, especially if the sole is relatively new. But it is the sole de rigueur on dress shoes and it is very comfortable.
    Having said all that, it is really something that I put in my "live and let live" box, you do what you want with your shoes, and I'll do the same with mine.
    I just get dainite and similar for just that reason. I'd like a pair of leather soles at some point though.

Journeyman
    Wearing my NPS Heath, one of the lesser known brands, based in Wollaston round the corner from DrMartins and Barker (over in Earls Barton) , they are much better known for their Solovair brand Essentially they made all the original DrMartins and when DM shipped 98% manufacturing to the Far East, they continued making DMs with the original lasts in Wollaston (better thicker EU quality leather).
    Anyway, they also produce the ‘NPS’ label shoes and boots which are the high end Goodyear welted variety including this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Martens

That's interesting about the Doc Martens being moved out to the far East.
    I have had many pairs over the years and was convinced the quality had gone down hill.
    They don't seem to last anything like they used to.

Maybe that explains it. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
    Maybe that explains it. Thanks for that.
    It doesn't!

Journeyman

What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    It doesn't!
    There is a guy on YouTube, Rose Anvil and he literally cuts shoes in half, the common DrMartins boots has definitely decreased in quality.
    The 1460 that you can buy in the shop (98% made in Far East) is definitely inferior, and more so than the made in England version.

https://youtu.be/qH8R4EPdsSE?list=PL...Q4VS_y3Pj09Zvd

He has also compared to he solovair, which has thicker leather, better cushioning (for longer periods and also a shank!

https://youtu.be/EXR2vxO2p7Y?list=PL...Q4VS_y3Pj09Zvd

This video he cuts up a vintage DM and compares to the new ones…

https://youtu.be/dOQ4CK-rF2w?list=PL...Q4VS_y3Pj09Zvd

He was so upset he decided the make a better DM and bought an old boot (pre Far East), only to find they used to be built with a shank! So quality has dropped

Last edited by giblets; 5th February 2022 at 15:46.

^^^^the problem with the latest Chinese DMs is the leather cracking and tearing at the main bend of the boot given the relatively poor and plasticky quality of the leather. This is also documented on YT.

I’ picked up a pair of 1460s at my local John Lewis just after the shops had opened after Covid for a 70% discount. Just to remember my student days 30 years ago.

For the price I paid unbeatable value, but at full price of £150 I would wait until a pair of Oliver Sweenys or Grenson are on sale.

Anyway, realised this is off topic for the brogues thread and more suited to the winter boot thread.

OK. What do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by giblets View Post
    Wearing my NPS Heath, one of the lesser known brands, based in Wollaston round the corner from DrMartins and Barker (over in Earls Barton) , they are much better known for their Solovair brand Essentially they made all the original DrMartins and when DM shipped 98% manufacturing to the Far East, they continued making DMs with the original lasts in Wollaston (better thicker EU quality leather).
    Anyway, they also produce the ‘NPS’ label shoes and boots which are the high end Goodyear welted variety including this one.

Looking on their website the prices seem very reasonable for a uk made brogue.

Oh hang on, I was looking at a ladies pair…

They also list Cheaney and Barker shoes. I’m confused.
    Last edited by Fender; 5th February 2022 at 16:42.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post

They also list Cheaney and Barker shoes. I’m confused.
    Not sure where you are looking, site below, if you visit their factory shop in Wollaston (currently only open on sat), the seconds (couldn’t see anything wrong myself), can be had for £80 (solovair), the shop with new stuff is 20% off retail IIRC

https://uk.nps-solovair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    OK. What do I know?
    Exactly. As if you knew what you talked about! This country has had enough of experts, don’t you know ?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post

Have a look at www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk

Plenty in the sale & clearance section.
    ______

​Jim.

Snake oil indeed!!

Mine arrived today and it's bloody vegetable oil - needless to say it's gone back.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Overpriced snake oil. £160 per litre equivalent! Nothing is going to stop wear and tear on leather soles when you walk on concrete pavements.

My advice is find some fine gravel to walk/rub on and embed in the sole. This will provide some traction and protection.

Rotate regularly and avoid wearing them in really crappy weather. That is what dainite soles are for.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Have a look at www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk

Plenty in the sale & clearance section.
    Very good, thanks.

I've discovered that they do a wide foot brogue, the Keswick. Though the Bourton is meant to be roomy enough.

Blog Entries
    A few years ago I bought a pair of John White Chaucer brogues ...

They were very comfortable, so much so that I've pretty much worn through the sole .
    When I inquired with John White about re-soling them & they declined - offering me a new, alternative pair for around £100, which disappointed me.

I also have John White Bourton brogue boots which needed new Dainite soles - similar reasons to above - very comfy - so I'd worn them through.
    I popped into our local cobblers in Gloucester to enquire about new Dainite soles & was quoted £40 for the Bourton boots.
    Rather hopefully, I asked if they could do anything with my old Chaucers too - to which he replied something about 'units' for £35.

I had no idea what he was talking about but took a punt & I dropped both off last Saturday & was expecting 2 week turnaround.
    However, I received a call yesterday to say both were ready for collection.
    ...I was not expecting great results for the Chaucers given that JW had declined to quote.

I collected both today & I am pleasantly surprised...

By 'units' I now presume he means new Vibram soles - which changes the look a bit - but I thrilled to have them back !

"Shoes worth wearing are worth repairing" it said on the ticket & I am inclined to agree.

z

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^

Absolutely, I’m actually sad when a pair is beyond repair, which doesn’t happen often….
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    I want yo buy a pair of tan brogues and came across these:

https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/p..._source=seguno

I quite like the slightly chunkier look and am happy with rubber soles. Never tried Carlos Santos though. Are they any good?

I also looked at Solovair having read through part of this thread, but would be concerned that they may be heavy? I am not a fan of heavy shoes.

https://uk.nps-solovair.com/collecti...39380551762000

Any others I should be looking at?

Sent from my SM-N986B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just taken my shoes out of the cupboard for a clean. Unfortunately I only wear a few pairs now as I'm barely in the office and when I am it's fairly casual so I wear my Loake suede Chelsea boots or the Cheaney monkstrap shoes.
    They're mostly Church's and Loake, with 2 pairs of Cheaney and a pair of Paul Smiths. The grey boots are H&M x Maison Martin Margiela.
    Picked the oxblood hikers from SC today so I expect they'll be getting the most wear.

Ignore the potty in the top left.

What polishes and creams do people use? I've only been using the stuff Church's sell and it seems to be decent but their wax isn't particularly long lasting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post

What polishes and creams do people use? I've only been using the stuff Church's sell and it seems to be decent but their wax isn't particularly long lasting.
    Saphir products are what I use, they seem to be well regarded in the shoe care game.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Saphir products are what I use, they seem to be well regarded in the shoe care game.
    Thanks, I forgot that I bought some Loake/Saphir tan cream for my bedales last week which seems like very decent stuff. It's taken them from a yellowish colour to a darker tan. I think I few more applications and they'll be spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    This, A lot of the quality English shoemakers sell rebadged Saphir anyway.

Not brogues but have just sent a pair of shoes back to Cheaney for a refurbishmnet,
    I have taken 'before' photos so it will be interesting to see the results when they come back

The refurbishment is just under a third of the cost of a new pair.
    Last edited by Kevin; 25th February 2022 at 20:16.

Journeyman
    First pair of Burgundy, Grenson Sid’s, just need to find the right coloured shoe cream and replacement laces when they’re needed!

What are your thoughts on watch straps? Keep to steel, tough keeping up with Black and Tan leather combos!