closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1575

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

  1. #1501
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    40,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    U wot m8???
    No need with my Salomon'

    Just saying.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  2. #1502
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    7,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    No need with my Salomon'

    Just saying.......
    To be fair, all I’ve worn for the last two years is Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX!

  3. #1503
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    40,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    To be fair, all I’ve worn for the last two years is Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX!


    Amen bro!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  4. #1504
    Lots of great info on this thread, ended up with these Loake Bedale’s, toss up between these and some Tricker Stow but preferred the Loakes.




    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  5. #1505
    Craftsman gshort67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Leicester uk
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Lots of great info on this thread, ended up with these Loake Bedale’s, toss up between these and some Tricker Stow but preferred the Loakes.




    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Got to be the most versatile and comfortable pair of boots I have owned .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #1506
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Somerset (U.k )
    Posts
    11,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just found these in the wardrobe………………..

    Cheers,

    Ben



    ..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers


    " an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

  7. #1507
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,330
    Blog Entries
    1
    Get them off the ivory……………

    Another for Bedales

    Pitch

  8. #1508

    What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

    These are worth £119 of anyones money.

    The pair I bought a few years ago where made in Italy, but notice they have moved production to India.

    That said, you get calf leather outer, calf leather lining, Goodyear construction and leather soles.

    I’m tempted to have a pair in reserve as it is almost as cheap as getting them resoled, and it is more expensive to get a full reconstruction.

    If they are anything like the pair I have they are well worth the, not a lot of, money.

    https://www.oliversweeney.com/produc...n-brogue-boots

  9. #1509
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    These are worth £119 of anyones money.

    The pair I bought a few years ago where made in Italy, but notice they have moved production to India.

    That said, you get calf leather outer, calf leather lining, Goodyear construction and leather soles.

    I’m tempted to have a pair in reserve as it is almost as cheap as getting them resoled, and it is more expensive to get a full reconstruction.

    If they are anything like the pair I have they are well worth the, not a lot of, money.

    https://www.oliversweeney.com/produc...n-brogue-boots
    Thanks for the heads up. I’d prefer a six eyelet but have ordered them anyway.

  10. #1510
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I’d prefer a six eyelet but have ordered them anyway.
    You won be disappointed. Here's my pair ageing nicely.



  11. #1511

    What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

    If you are a 10.5 or 11, the shoe version is a billy bargain too.

    https://www.oliversweeney.com/produc...-casual-brogue

    You are paying the same money as you would for a pair of crappy glued shoes, but getting a pair of full calf leather brogues.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 28th January 2022 at 22:10.

  12. #1512
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You won be disappointed. Here's my pair ageing nicely.


    Cheers.

    As I said, I prefer a six eyelet so have just also ordered the Milbrook Tan.
    Should be ideal for work with the synthetic outsole.


  13. #1513
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    502
    Just ordered a pair of Rivetti and a pair of Pietro - both look great and I may end up keeping g them both

    Thanks for the heads up on the sale

  14. #1514
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,553
    What width fitting are these please?

    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    These are worth £119 of anyones money.

    The pair I bought a few years ago where made in Italy, but notice they have moved production to India.

    That said, you get calf leather outer, calf leather lining, Goodyear construction and leather soles.

    I’m tempted to have a pair in reserve as it is almost as cheap as getting them resoled, and it is more expensive to get a full reconstruction.

    If they are anything like the pair I have they are well worth the, not a lot of, money.

    https://www.oliversweeney.com/produc...n-brogue-boots

  15. #1515
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,553
    On reflection I think they're the best pair of boots / shoes I've ever had. I've just bought a pair of Grenson Parker Derby shoes and I have to say they feel like nothing I've ever owned before in terms of build quality and leather quality. Time will tell.

    Quote Originally Posted by gshort67 View Post
    Got to be the most versatile and comfortable pair of boots I have owned .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #1516
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    What width fitting are these please?
    Think they are an F.

    Free delivery and returns by the look of it just in case.

  17. #1517
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,553
    Cheers mate, I can't wear an F unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Think they are an F.

    Free delivery and returns by the look of it just in case.

  18. #1518
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Cheers mate, I can't wear an F unfortunately.
    Me neither, but as said, easy to return if too narrow.

    I'll let you know.

  19. #1519
    Picked up a pair of the Carnforths.

    Accent Clothing were flogging their last pair and the happened to be size 7. All for £112.

    Sometimes it pays to have titchy feet.

  20. #1520
    Craftsman Fender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    northern ireland
    Posts
    475
    I'm thinking of a pair of purely casual brogues. Suede ones look great but I'm concerned that they would be more throwaway than leather? No problem for a cheap pair, but am not spending Trickers money on something that's done after few years.

    To be fair I don't do a lot of miles and they would be worn in rotation. There's just something about having a pair of brogues that can be refurbished over and over. Any long term suede owners out there?

  21. #1521
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mountsorrel uk
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    I'm thinking of a pair of purely casual brogues. Suede ones look great but I'm concerned that they would be more throwaway than leather? No problem for a cheap pair, but am not spending Trickers money on something that's done after few years.

    To be fair I don't do a lot of miles and they would be worn in rotation. There's just something about having a pair of brogues that can be refurbished over and over. Any long term suede owners out there?
    I think I replied to this thread already repeating myself I have had very expensive suede shoes and they seem to look scruffy in a short space of time and as you say they can’t be restored like good leather shoes they are at their best worn infrequently for special occasions and not in the wet if you want to keep them looking good

  22. #1522
    Craftsman Fender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    northern ireland
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I think I replied to this thread already repeating myself I have had very expensive suede shoes and they seem to look scruffy in a short space of time and as you say they can’t be restored like good leather shoes they are at their best worn infrequently for special occasions and not in the wet if you want to keep them looking good
    Cheers. I have owned many suede shoes - including brogues probably, but none worth hanging onto.

    Think I’ll go for a light tan full brogue, the Mr Man look.

  23. #1523
    My Oliver Sweeney Carnforths arrived today. Superb quality and a significant step up from the equivalent pair of Grenson G-Two shoes I have. Slightly dressier than the Wrens.





    Think I have enough brogues now (3x Oliver Sweeney, 5x Loake 1880s, 1x Grenson and 1 x design Loake)

  24. #1524
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,220


    Grenson Archie’s in a leather and suede combo for the first time back in the office in quite some time


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #1525
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,220
    All bases covered - nice collection sir

    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    My Oliver Sweeney Carnforths arrived today. Superb quality and a significant step up from the equivalent pair of Grenson G-Two shoes I have. Slightly dressier than the Wrens.





    Think I have enough brogues now (3x Oliver Sweeney, 5x Loake 1880s, 1x Grenson and 1 x design Loake)

  26. #1526

    What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

    Anyone a size 8 and want Goodyear welted tan leather brogue boots?

    Doesn’t look like you can go far wrong here for £80, and reviews are good.

    https://www.jonesbootmaker.com/produ...39583398133823

  27. #1527
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Anyone a size 8 and want Goodyear welted tan leather brogue boots?

    Doesn’t look like you can go far wrong here for £80, and reviews are good.

    https://www.jonesbootmaker.com/produ...39583398133823
    Or a size 9 if you are a little bit weird...

  28. #1528
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Or a size 9 if you are a little bit weird...
    I find almost all manufacturers come up very large.

    I am a size 8 in a NIke and Addidas, a size 7 in Loake and Sweeney (maybe even a 6.5) and a size 6 in wide G fitting Grensons.

    I always size down a minimum of 1 to 1.5 from my trainer sizes.

  29. #1529
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,170
    Not brogues (already have the Sweeney ones from the sale, so got these instead)



  30. #1530
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,220
    very similar to my fracap boots but yours look nicer -
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Not brogues (already have the Sweeney ones from the sale, so got these instead)



  31. #1531
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    very similar to my fracap boots but yours look nicer -
    I'm a bit peeved as they've come with darker laces :(
    The pair I got (but too tight) a day ago had the right colour...

    https://www.countryattire.com/oliver...tml?colour=Tan

  32. #1532
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,553
    Grenson Archie. Laced the way Ben likes them ;)


  33. #1533
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Me neither, but as said, easy to return if too narrow.

    I'll let you know.
    Both were delivered today. I couldn't even get my foot into the Wren, so they'll be going back. The Milbrook fit snuggly and will give a little, so I'll be keeping those. Very grippy with the rubber outsole.

    The Milbrook are seven eyelet and not six as I previously thought.

  34. #1534
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Somerset (U.k )
    Posts
    11,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not quite but you are nearly there given they are 5 eyelet my preferred style is not an option.

    Great shoe all the same.


    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Grenson Archie. Laced the way Ben likes them ;)

    Last edited by ben4watches; 2nd February 2022 at 12:46.
    Cheers,

    Ben



    ..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers


    " an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

  35. #1535
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,553
    I’m deciding whether to get a cobbler to stick a rubber sole on them.

    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Not quite but you are nearly there given they are 5 eyelet my preferred style is not an option.

    Great shoe all the same.

  36. #1536
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    502
    Love the Oliver Sweeney Rivetti dark tan I got today - fantastic quality. Also much classier and higher quality than the Pietro tan that came as well - they are good in their own right but not in the same league as the Rivetti

  37. #1537
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Love the Oliver Sweeney Rivetti dark tan I got today - fantastic quality. Also much classier and higher quality than the Pietro tan that came as well - they are good in their own right but not in the same league as the Rivetti
    They are great aren’t they..
    Ended up with all 3 with the Scarpone.
    The Pietro in isolation are fine but the other two are something special.

  38. #1538
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    They are great aren’t they..
    Ended up with all 3 with the Scarpone.
    The Pietro in isolation are fine but the other two are something special.
    Absolutely - I would have been really happy with the Pietro had I not had both side by side

    I couldn’t justify keeping both so have sent the Pietro back

  39. #1539
    Craftsman Fender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    northern ireland
    Posts
    475
    How come trickers don't do a wide fit in their popular brogues? I know they wear big, but that's not necessarily good if it means long too.

  40. #1540

    What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Love the Oliver Sweeney Rivetti dark tan I got today - fantastic quality.
    Can we see a foot shot? I would be interested to see them as worn in real life rather than a photo advert.

  41. #1541
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I’m deciding whether to get a cobbler to stick a rubber sole on them.
    I no longer consider extending my soles as no matter how much I like the shoes when they arrive, I get bored of them and move on, long before the leather sole turns paper thin.

  42. #1542
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Somerset (U.k )
    Posts
    11,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    personally I wouldn’t bother, wear them a few times then use some sole guard. I was once told that using a rubber over sole on leather does not let them bend/flex as intended and can cause undue stress on the uppers. If you want rubber soles go Dainite or Commando.

    https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/p...0aAkTNEALw_wcB

    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I’m deciding whether to get a cobbler to stick a rubber sole on them.
    Cheers,

    Ben



    ..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers


    " an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

  43. #1543
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,553
    Thank you, I’ve ordered some.

    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    personally I wouldn’t bother, wear them a few times then use some sole guard. I was once told that using a rubber over sole on leather does not let them bend/flex as intended and can cause undue stress on the uppers. If you want rubber soles go Dainite or Commando.

    https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/p...0aAkTNEALw_wcB

  44. #1544
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Can we see a foot shot? I would be interested to see them as worn in real life rather than a photo advert.
    I will take one tomorrow if I wear them into the office

  45. #1545
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    personally I wouldn’t bother, wear them a few times then use some sole guard. I was once told that using a rubber over sole on leather does not let them bend/flex as intended and can cause undue stress on the uppers. If you want rubber soles go Dainite or Commando.

    https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/p...0aAkTNEALw_wcB
    I cannot really fathom how the idea that a thin rubber sole could damage the upper would work in practice.

  46. #1546
    Overpriced snake oil. £160 per litre equivalent! Nothing is going to stop wear and tear on leather soles when you walk on concrete pavements.

    My advice is find some fine gravel to walk/rub on and embed in the sole. This will provide some traction and protection.

    Rotate regularly and avoid wearing them in really crappy weather. That is what dainite soles are for.

  47. #1547
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I cannot really fathom how the idea that a thin rubber sole could damage the upper would work in practice.
    A good explanation here, debunking this myth. https://theshoesnobblog.com/additions-to-your-sole/

  48. #1548
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    25,810
    If you're going to put some rubber on your soles, why not get dainite from the start?
    Leather is far from perfect for a sole, especially in wet weather and the oil is a good way to preserve it and keep your feet dry(drier). It can also be very slippery in tiled hallways when it's been raining, especially if the sole is relatively new. But it is the sole de rigueur on dress shoes and it is very comfortable.
    Having said all that, it is really something that I put in my "live and let live" box, you do what you want with your shoes, and I'll do the same with mine.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  49. #1549

    First timer

    This thread has persuaded me to get some decent boots.
    I've always admired the brogues but only ever owned high street shoes .
    Recently I have been suffering with foot pain so have started spending a little more on footware.
    I have some Vionic shoes for work and think they have really helped with my planter pain.

    But for smarter times I have just bought some Grensons Fred brogues.
    I didn't realise they had several models of the Fred plus several grades.
    I think I would have gone for commando soles given the choice but my G2 Fred came with smooth leather soles.

    They are a very nice pair of boots fore the money I paid.
    They fit large so I ordered a half size smaller. They still are a little big but I think my planter insoles should help with that.
    I missed out on the Oliver Sweeney boots posted here. They looked to be really good value.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  50. #1550
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,220
    Congratulations on your purchase Ive had a few pairs of Fred's over the years great boots and a staple of any wadrobe - Great pick up

    Take a look at the Archies as well multiple options

    Quote Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
    This thread has persuaded me to get some decent boots.
    I've always admired the brogues but only ever owned high street shoes .
    Recently I have been suffering with foot pain so have started spending a little more on footware.
    I have some Vionic shoes for work and think they have really helped with my planter pain.

    But for smarter times I have just bought some Grensons Fred brogues.
    I didn't realise they had several models of the Fred plus several grades.
    I think I would have gone for commando soles given the choice but my G2 Fred came with smooth leather soles.

    They are a very nice pair of boots fore the money I paid.
    They fit large so I ordered a half size smaller. They still are a little big but I think my planter insoles should help with that.
    I missed out on the Oliver Sweeney boots posted here. They looked to be really good value.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information