closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Grand Master
    Well what a great thread I will be purchasing some Loake Ashby or George very soon, Ill try the Churchs on but think the Loakes will be perfect
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    What about this one........

Spoke with a very fine establishment in Norwich today asking if they could get me in some Tricker's Bourton in gold with commando sole. Turns out not stocked at the factory and but Trickers would make a pair to special order ....................... £650.00 ........ouch

Loakes it will be

Paul

Apprentice
    I live in Grensons for all occasions. Formal attire, work shoes, casual brogues, brogue boots. Their slightly wider G fit is perfect for people with wide feet like me.

http://grenson.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    What about this one........

Spoke with a very fine establishment in Norwich today asking if they could get me in some Tricker's Bourton in gold with commando sole. Turns out not stocked at the factory and but Trickers would make a pair to special order ....................... £650.00 ........ouch

Loakes it will be

Paul
    Try Retrickers on eBay - their seconds eBay shop

They have some Acorn Bourtons with commando sole.
    http://bit.ly/1dZgqP6

Grand Master
    Back from London town with a pair of Loake 1880 Edwards, put them straight on in the shop and wore them all day and covered a fair few miles from Brick Lane to West end and perfect

RIAC

Blog Entries
    Nice and get them jeans turned up.

Leather sole?

Paul

Grand Master
    Nice and get them jeans turned up.

Leather sole?

Paul
    No went for the Goodyear Natural Rubber as its winter
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    No went for the Goodyear Natural Rubber as its winter
    That is my route, they just looked leather on the pic.

Enjoy

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourn View Post
    I live in Grensons for all occasions. Formal attire, work shoes, casual brogues, brogue boots. Their slightly wider G fit is perfect for people with wide feet like me.

http://grenson.co.uk/
    Grabbed a nice pair of Dylan's yesterday, great shoe.
    Last edited by Middo; 6th October 2013 at 14:39.

Apprentice
    Good sale prices on Grenson here this morning. They seem to be selling out pretty quick though.

https://www.cocosa.com/sale/?sid=18356&catid=Men

Picked up three pairs, whoops.

Master
    I quite fancy the look of these 'Denman' brogues, about half way down the page.

http://www.regenttailoring.co.uk/Cat...%20and%20Boots

Although those Mallory boots also catch my eye...

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourn View Post
    Good sale prices on Grenson here this morning. They seem to be selling out pretty quick though.

https://www.cocosa.com/sale/?sid=18356&catid=Men

Picked up three pairs, whoops.
    Well spotted, thanks. Managed to bag a pair myself.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Grabbed a nice pair of Dylan's yesterday, great shoe.
    Great choice! I really want a pair of those. The brown ones are lush.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer View Post
    I quite fancy the look of these 'Denman' brogues, about half way down the page.

http://www.regenttailoring.co.uk/Cat...%20and%20Boots

Although those Mallory boots also catch my eye...

Steve
    Any idea who makes their 'own brand' made in England shoes?

Actually it doesn't matter, the shoes I want are only in size 7!
    Last edited by Kirk280; 8th October 2013 at 20:31.

Blog Entries
    Well after starting this thread many many weeks ago the purchase has been made, well apart from the cheap stand ins....Nabbed a pair of commando soled brown in the Next sale for £20 which are fine for kicking around.

After considering man made soles I decided leather was the way to go and decided on 1880 Loake Chester after trying Grenson and Trickers. Anyway, the half term break away has led us to an overnight stay in Derby and we popped into Westfield this afternoon and saw a Debenhams. Voila ..... 25% off + further tenner = £143.75, steal.....

Many thanks chaps for all the posts and inputs, a truly haven of info thread.

Paul.

PS .... I will be adding some Grenson Commando Freds for when the weather turns real bad ;-)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I'm now thinking about getting a pair of Loake 1880 Edward they look good quality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spurs View Post
    I'm now thinking about getting a pair of Loake 1880 Edward they look good quality.
    These were where I was going but for me a prefer the style of the Otterburn which then led me to Chester's.

Ta
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus View Post
    These are the ones that I have,
    http://www.ardmoor.co.uk/products/35...glencarse-boot
    I would say that the sizing is pretty generous - you can certainly get away with thick socks.

I've got a pair. The width is a G and I bought them to wear in the winter with a thick woollen sock. Extremely solid and durable. Had them for 3 years and they seem barely broken in. They are made by Cheaney, based in Desborough, Northants.

This pic shows the colour / ageing better :

Grand Master
    I have Edwards and Ashbys now and the Edwards are a little less formal whereas the Ashbe is slightly more serious
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks I take it the Edwards are very comfortable? I've seen them for a very good price on a website called Eustress.

Grand Master
    Thanks I take it the Edwards are very comfortable? I've seen them for a very good price on a website called Eustress.
    I think Id be weary of them! I know Loake dont allow cut price sales so where are they getting them from!!
    RIAC

Craftsman
    I got some Loakes 1880 brogues, but they have been quite disappointing really. They cut into my foot and I've stopped wearing them altogether now. But of a waste, but it seems like it's a manufacturing error in just one of my shoes, so I ight take them to a dealer and ask for them to be fixed.

I now pay the extra and go for Crockett and Jones, and the two pairs I got this Summer have been excellent. A noticeably higher standard than the Loakes, and to me worth the difference in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Losenotaminute View Post
    Fashion changes but style endures. I like to think it was good style advice but if someone wants to wear brown shoes in town, that's their prerogative. Remember that one can tell a lot about a person by what shoes they wear.

Lawrence
    "No brown in town" hasn't endured though and went out the window years ago, and was in any case something almost entirely restricted to Britain, predominantly the City of London. Everyone else in the world have long known the exquisite combination of brown shoes/belt with blue suits. Brown compliments a dark blue much better than black does.
    Last edited by Rano85; 29th October 2013 at 14:18.

I bought a pair of these, 'Paddington' brogues from Charles Tyrwhitt, super comfy...£129 unless you are very unlucky to buy them in the two weeks a year they go for £260

Off shopping tomorrow down Gunwharf Quay. Funnily enough, a pair of brogues have been on the agenda for a couple of months.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    Off shopping tomorrow down Gunwharf Quay. Funnily enough, a pair of brogues have been on the agenda for a couple of months.
    They dont have the 1880 in Gunwharf I dont think but they have a selection of the regular ones
    RIAC

Just picked up a pair of Loake Wharfdales, really impressed with them, though I'm yet to break them in outside!

And a gratuitous foot shot!

Blog Entries
    Liking them......

F or G width.??

Paul

Liking them......

F or G width.??

Paul
    Their G's Paul. Really liking them, really well made and extremely comfortable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Just picked up a pair of Loake Wharfdales, really impressed with them, though I'm yet to break them in outside!
    Good choice - I have had a pair of those for nearly year and have worn them reasonably hard - they've been really great and have many more years left in them. I seem to have a few pairs of brogues at the moment - including Loake Hestons (dark brown), Grenson Stanleys (blue suede with a dark blue sole) and some Cheaney Imperial Balmorals (black) - the latter are technically an "austerity brogue" (without punched holes) which seemed appropriate in current times...

I have just bought some Clarks ones for the winter, im pretty impressed, obviously they are not in the same league as the others people are sugesting, but for £50 will do very nicely.

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20355027

Master
    The Loake Wharfdales look very nice indeed. Love high top brogues.

Well I think you should all be wearing the Church brogues I've got on SC at the moment

But failing that now winter is here I'm sporting my Loake 1880 Burford in tan for casual and black for more formal settings ... great boots once they're broken in.

Journeyman
    Bought these earlier in the week, just waiting for some dry weather to break them in.

Trickers Stow with Commando sole!

Great footwear.

Regards.

Keith.

Journeyman
    /\

Like Stows a lot, the coffee ones with red lining look great. How do they come up size wise?

Quote Originally Posted by mrw_y2k View Post
    /\

Like Stows a lot, the coffee ones with red lining look great. How do they come up size wise?
    Coffee ones and the Antique Acorn fit great, all three pairs are a size 9 and a 5 fit. However the middle pair were made to order to my specifications: - Cordovan leather,black leather inners and trim, dark Lace hooks and Commando sole. Again great footwear though as these are made with one piece of leather they are a slightly larger fit.

All purchased from Shoe Healer, Doncaster, mentioned earlier in this thread. Great owner called Richard who is passionate bordering insane when it comes to good footwear.

Regards.

Keith.

Blog Entries
    Gents

Well after nearly three months from starting this thread I am finally all sorted.

First up, some leather soled Loake Chester's for smarty time. Was going for man made sole but after trying these it was decision made.

But then I always needed some heavy weight boots for the winter..... After trying several over the past few weeks I could not resist these Grenson Fred's with commando soles which I purchased in the store next to Liverpool St station whilst waiting for my train yesterday.

Both are quite different on the foot but equally as nice.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions and thoughts I have certainly learnt a lot.

Ta
    Paul

Nice choice Paul, and thanks for starting this, really helped me in my own search for a cheaper alternative to Crockett & Jones :o)

Journeyman
    First up, some leather soled Loake Chester's for smarty time.
    After you've got a bit of dry wear on the soles, get some of this and apply several decent layers to the soles, letting it soak in in between layers. It won't fully waterproof the soles, but it will make them a lot less like sponges if you're unlucky enough to get caught out in the rain.

Apprentice
    I can recommend busby brogues from Jones bootmaker. Very comfy and have worn very well. I do treat them more than my other shoes which might be helping though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    Coffee ones and the Antique Acorn fit great, all three pairs are a size 9 and a 5 fit. However the middle pair were made to order to my specifications: - Cordovan leather,black leather inners and trim, dark Lace hooks and Commando sole. Again great footwear though as these are made with one piece of leather they are a slightly larger fit.

All purchased from Shoe Healer, Doncaster, mentioned earlier in this thread. Great owner called Richard who is passionate bordering insane when it comes to good footwear.

Regards.

Keith.
    Probably me that mentioned Shoe Healer. Went to have a browse last week, ended up with three pairs. Emmelda Marcos was a mere beginner when it comes to good shoes and me. Bloody Shoe Healer, it's Wallet Healer that's needed. :)

But as Keith mentioned, Richard the owner is totally insane when it comes to shoes. Nothing is too much trouble, and pisssst, he will also give a decent discount without any arm bending.

I'm boring... I have Church shoes.

Just had a pair fixed because one heel fell off.
    I have had issues with soles a few times, like the glue melting when out in the rain and having to resole them.
    But only with newer pairs, never happened with my first pair from ...1989? ish.

Heads up

If anyone fancies a pair of Clark's like the ones posted by the OP or the Montacute brogues there's 20% discount code. Enter BLING at checkout. Not sure if you'd still qualify for quidco if you use the code though.

Master
    Has anyone seen Crockett and Jones’ new cordovan brogues (at least I think they are new), the Cardigan?

http://www.crockettandjones.com/prod...n#.Uovf75Fealc

Very, very nice. Very nice, the photos don’t do them justice.

Sadly having just bought a pair of their Wicklow boots I’m done with new shoes for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by harrinp1 View Post
    I received a pair of Loake George boots this week, seem like a good buy.

The'd even gone down 40 quid when I went to order.

http://www.loake.co.uk/george.html
    How are you finding these and does anyone else have any?

Bought some myself earlier today. Apparently this model have been made from some leftover leather they had but seem a real bargain for the price.

I actually paid £120 this morning then saw them on their eBay site for £99.95. Called up and they apologised as the price should have been updated on their site. So they're refunding me the difference.

Craftsman
    Gratuitous work foot shot, Grenson Fred with commando soles, 2nd winter in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by t955daytona View Post
    Gratuitous work foot shot, Grenson Fred with commando soles, 2nd winter in.
    You are Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    How are you finding these and does anyone else have any?

Bought some myself earlier today. Apparently this model have been made from some leftover leather they had but seem a real bargain for the price.

I actually paid £120 this morning then saw them on their eBay site for £99.95. Called up and they apologised as the price should have been updated on their site. So they're refunding me the difference.
    They do seem cheap. How is the quality vs their 1880 range of shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by drab. View Post
    I can recommend busby brogues from Jones bootmaker. Very comfy and have worn very well. I do treat them more than my other shoes which might be helping though
    +1 I have them in black for work and in tan for casual.