closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Master
    Never had a problem with Barkers

Master
    Problem with some ranges of Loakes and Barkers and doubt other famous Northampton brands, is that they come to the customer via Northampton from India.

In fact just looked under the tongue of a pair of casual £150 Loakes I purchased last week, proudly labelled, Made in Italy.
    Last edited by BrianT; 22nd August 2013 at 19:27.

Master
    The Loake "1880" range are all made in the UK, the other ranges are not.
    I have a pair of "Hoggs of Fife" brogue boots which are excellent in the winter and are gradually taking on character.

Craftsman
    Yep I needed some rubber soled Brogues for winter as most of mine are leather soled and no good in the wet

I bought these 2 pairs

Clarks Montacute Wing

Loake Worton

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus View Post
    The Loake "1880" range are all made in the UK, the other ranges are not.
    I have a pair of "Hoggs of Fife" brogue boots which are excellent in the winter and are gradually taking on character.
    What do you think of Hoggs brogues?

Craftsman
    A nice pair of Loakes I bought from Slaters in Cheltenham, very comfy out of the box!

Just going to head to Worcester in them for a few beers.

Cheany with a Dunlop sole are my favourite winter brogues, bought from the factory shop.

Also got a fantastic deal on some similar Herrings and they are probably my favourite shop in all shoedom. If you ever go down to Devon it is a must visit place if you like old fashioned good service and quality merchandise.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Cheany with a Dunlop sole are my favourite winter brogues, bought from the factory shop.

Also got a fantastic deal on some similar Herrings and they are probably my favourite shop in all shoedom. If you ever go down to Devon it is a must visit place if you like old fashioned good service and quality merchandise.
    Could not agree more Jon, I love Herrings.

I have a a pair if Cannings for the less than clement months. slipper like from day one.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...=6&shoeid=5313
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Trickers Stow - awesome. Deadly in the wet with the leather sole though!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Cheany! Churches!

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Could not agree more Jon, I love Herrings.

I have a a pair if Cannings for the less than clement months. slipper like from day one.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...=6&shoeid=5313
    Those are lovely shoes......I know this as they are the same as mine.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Those are lovely shoes......I know this as they are the same as mine.
    From your description I thought they might be the ones you have.

A super shoe and cheaper than a Grafton on rubber.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Have they still got v-cleats?
    Yes indeed! V-cleats, full flat nail heels and the 5 nails in the waist. Problem is once you've worn cordovan - cow leather seems so ordinary...
    Last edited by sweeney; 24th August 2013 at 19:22.

Been looking for a proper pair of brogues for a while now, will take a look at some of these suggestions. Was looking at a pair of grensons before but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again gents for all the info and help and narrowed down to...

1. Clarks Chestnut Garnet - Felt lovely out of the box and very comfy. Colour was not right so have gone back. 20% off also at present so they would have been a bargain at £51.
    2. Grenson Archie - Lovely shoes that felt they needed some breaking in but again not 100% with the colour.
    3. Loake Worton - Liked these but took them back as I was not totally happy. Thinking I may give them another try.

I am a little stuffed with some brands as Norwich does not offer everything, but really wanting to try Loake Chester and Edwards.

Also Ted Baker Guri 5's are ticking the tan colour box so may track a pair of these down after a meeting in the afternoon.

As you can see, its one step forward and two back, roll on the summer again Ralphy plimmies, haviananas and leather soled Barker's make life very easy.

Ta
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post

Worth a few quid them, I have a couple of pairs of pacers myself

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    What do you think of Hoggs brogues?
    Mine are great! But I'm not sure who makes them for Hoggs - one of the well-known Northampton shoe makers, I believe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus View Post
    Mine are great! But I'm not sure who makes them for Hoggs - one of the well-known Northampton shoe makers, I believe.
    What is the sizing like.?

The sterling look pretty good and bench made in Northampton appeals.

Thanks

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    What is the sizing like.?

The sterling look pretty good and bench made in Northampton appeals.

Thanks

Paul
    These are the ones that I have,
    http://www.ardmoor.co.uk/products/35...glencarse-boot
    I would say that the sizing is pretty generous - you can certainly get away with thick socks.

Churches, but I can't remember what ones. They're black - I'm not that much of a SIS (shoe idiot savant)
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Saw some nice Kurt Geiger ones in TK Maxx over the weekend. Nice light tan colour, rubber sole - about £60. Pity they didn't have my size.

Also, there seem to be some nice ones in John Lewis at the moment. Might go and have a closer look.

Master
    Thanks again gents for all the info and help and narrowed down to...

1. Clarks Chestnut Garnet - Felt lovely out of the box and very comfy. Colour was not right so have gone back. 20% off also at present so they would have been a bargain at £51.
    2. Grenson Archie - Lovely shoes that felt they needed some breaking in but again not 100% with the

Ta
    Paul
    Just use various colour polish until you are happy.

Journeyman
    No mention of Sanders in here. Possibly my favourite brogues are Sanders. I have a few pairs of Grensons and Loakes too. Not sure who assumes these to be coffin dodger fodder, I just turned 26 last week.

Master
    Just ordered a pair of Sanders Stamford Monks from Pediwear (an excellent shopping experience), after getting confirmation from them that all their footwear is wholly British made .

Should Sanders & Sanders feature on the "underrated" thread?

Master
    Yes Saunders don't seem to be as widely known as others . Although I have a pair of semi brogues which are quite the equal to the other better known brands of good shoes. Just had a look at their website, they do a lovely full brogue ....................in bright red leather , now that could be fun.

Saunders 25/26 years old.

Last edited by BrianT; 11th September 2013 at 12:40.

Master

Church's Chetwynd in tan - 4 years old and one re heal and sole at Church's.

Church's Chetwynd in Black - 2 years old

Trickers commando sole - pre historic.

I was dubious about spending money on a decent pair of shoes, but they really do represent value for money. I would get through at least 2 average priced pairs a year. These are almost indestructible - perfect.

I've got a pair of trickers ilkley with commando sole, built like a tank and weigh about the same, but very comfy and think they'll outlast me. Picked them up in a sale a couple of years ago for £200 when the RRP was £315, they're £375 now. I got a bargain

Brighty

My winter brogues are the Barbour Ilkley (dark brown) ... really well made and comfortable.

http://www.outdoorandcountry.co.uk/M...y-Brogues.html

Rod

Blog Entries
    If anyone fancy's Loakes, Debenhams are doing 20% off and if you go through my voucher code you can get a further 10% plus free click and collect from store.

Typical that I have decided on Loake Edwards and they don't do them.....

Ta
    Paul

Master
    Always some good info on shoes on here and in the market for a pair of brogues for the winter.

I have some Barkers, Loakes for best, a pair of bargain Alex Shiltons for work which are all leather soled, I just need something with a heavier sole.

I don't want anything too chunky, just something for the cool, wet and ice when it gets here. I know its early but the winter stuff is hitting the shops.

Saw these yesterday and they seemed pretty good. Decent price, ped of Clarks with a not too heavy man made sole.

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20355946

Anyway, before I make a purchase anyone else tried a pair of these or idea's on anything else before I give them a look.??

Ta
    Paul

I dispatched the happy shopper and she got a pair of the above delivered today - what can you say ?

The quality is very reasonable, the fit is Clarks usual UK foot style and they are priced as pommes frites.

Excellent OP thanks for that !

B

Has anyone tried these http://www.loake.co.uk/bedale.html I'm looking for an alternative to the Crockett Islay boots.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Has anyone tried these http://www.loake.co.uk/bedale.html I'm looking for an alternative to the Crockett Islay boots.
    Yes, I have a pair. Very nice and exactly what I expected but a little wide and chunky. If you are after something a little slimmer looking, Loake also do the Burford which is just a different shape but the same idea and probably closer to the C&J (but not in price!).

Higher end Loake and Barkers certainly made in England.

I agree about Sanders - they made shoes for Army - hence little-known - until (scandalously in my view) contract awarded to China. Sanders reinvented themselves to make a superb range of real British-made high quality shoes. I saw their range recently and was invited to the factory (I've yet to get there) - I doubt there's any assembly of Indian pieces going on there.

http://www.sanders-uk.com/

Where are Sanders stocked? Do they have a factory shop?

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Hi,

I ve tried brogues from most manufacturers, and sold them here (Lobbs and Church's) and found them wanting in certin areas, mostly in width fitting.

Loakes wide fittings are excellent, and with a commando sole renewed every couple of years, they'll last as long as you. Recently though, I've bought a couple of pairs of Hoggs hand lasted, and made in UK, for around £200 per pair. The Dornoch semi brogues are my favourite, and the conker colour is wonderfull. They are dimple leather, and the toecaps take a beautiful shine. Thet remind me of those I used to wear when I was in the army.

Hoggs of Fife Dornoch. https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/footwe...ain-veldt-8396

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Where are Sanders stocked? Do they have a factory shop?
    Some stockists listed on the Internet. Really good shoes at a reasonable price. Haven't got any of their brogues but this pair of Saunders are about twenty years old.

Good shoes are cheap , look after them and they are an investment.These are still available at £245, I probably paid about £40, and they continue to give pleasure every time I slip them on.
    Last edited by BrianT; 15th September 2013 at 09:05.

Master
    Off to the racing at Ffos Las for me this pm, weather is not good so these blue DM's for me today

Master
    Got a pair of the Ted Baker Guri 5's yesterday and wearing them today. Pretty comfortable and not a bad price. Got the tan ones and they seem well made and solid.

Saw some great Barkers in a sort of red/brown mix which were very cool. But I wanted something with a rubber sole already in place for the autumn and winter months.

Hoping the Ted Baker's fit the bill.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Hoping the Ted Baker's fit the bill.[/QUOTE]

I tried these and took them back. Clocked them in HoF during the week and I think I will plunge.

Sooo this is where I am at..

Work for the winter = TB Guri

Best = Loake Edward.

And when the weather really turns = Loake Bedale boots.

Just need to get to the shops now.

Ta
    Paul

Journeyman
    I received a pair of Loake George boots this week, seem like a good buy.

The'd even gone down 40 quid when I went to order.

http://www.loake.co.uk/george.html

Journeyman
    Marks & Spencers for me. They are a great fit and punch well above their weight price wise

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I'm also trying to find a good pair of shoes, it's between the Herring Canning they are made by Cheaney and the Church Grafton, but there is a big price difference even from Herring shoes. I'm wondering if the Church are worth that much more. Canning £275 Church £420

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    Yes indeed! V-cleats, full flat nail heels and the 5 nails in the waist. Problem is once you've worn cordovan - cow leather seems so ordinary...
    You're a braver man than me. My experience is they turn even the driest surface into sheet-ice.

Craftsman
    The power of TZ-UK!!

I glanced at this thread and was about to comment on the great brogue boots I bought last year from Clarks, the Montacute Lord.

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20351790?c...&kpid=20351790

When they first came out there was another edition which I loved with Harris Tweed side panels, I couldn't get a pair for love or money so duly reminded by this thread I thought sod-it have a gander on ebay to try and find a pair....well strike me down they've only turned up at Brantano and(?!?) with 30% off too.

http://www.brantano.co.uk/men/clarks...fview%3dsearch

I've snapped up a pair of 9's and 10's because my current pair are 9.5's and I don't know which will fit best!

Thanks folks, it's made my day!!

Joe

Jeffery West, I liked them so much I now have two pairs

Grand Master
    A most informative thread and has made me decide to purchase a pair the next time I frequent London Town, I have to admit I have 20 or so pairs of Clarks Originals, mostly wallabies, desert trek, and desert boots plus the usual unhealthy trainer collection but a pair of tan brogues would be a welcome addition
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    When I started my look out for some new brogues a few weeks back and started this thread I never thought it would generate this much response and useful feedback.

Where am I..?????

I wanted some manmade sole brogues for work for the winter and given how heavy I am on shoes and through my business (development) I do find myself on less than great ground with this risk of grief. This box has been ticked by the boss finding a pair on her Next sale slot on the interweb reduced from £55 to £20. I will post a pic up and although not top notch they are incredible value. My leather soled faithfuls will be laid up within a couple of weeks until the sun shines again.

Best.... It is down to Loake Edward (Tan) or Trickers Bourton (gold) and these i will decide on and will purchase in the coming weeks. Both are manmade sole for the winter and I may even add a pair of those Clarkes joe1978.

Many many thanks for everybody's feedback and taking the time to guide me through the maze, lets here it for the power of TZ...... Hussar....

Now lets get started on the coat thread....

Ta
    Paul

Sooo this is where I am

And when the weather really turns = Loake Bedale.

Ta
    Paul
    This is where I'm leaning. Having never looked at Loake before, can anyone tell me if these ever go on sale? Trying to weigh up if its worth waiting till xmas. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWazza View Post
    A nice pair of Loakes I bought from Slaters in Cheltenham, very comfy out of the box!

Just going to head to Worcester in them for a few beers.

Are your feet really that shape?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    This is where I'm leaning. Having never looked at Loake before, can anyone tell me if these ever go on sale? Trying to weigh up if its worth waiting till xmas. Cheers.
    You will occasionally find them on offer from the various big footwear retailers but seeing how much these are in vogue at present I would not think so. Debenham's however stock and sell Loakes and they are always doing 20% off (online) at times and going through Top Cash Back can yield a further 10%.

Ta
    Paul