closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Last week was in the Church's shop(outlet shop) in Cheshire oaks (mcgarther glen outlet) had a decent section for £200ish .Its worth checking out if your nearby

http://www.mcarthurglen.com/uk/chesh...rands/churchs/

Blog Entries
    Just snagged a pair of these.

http://www.john-anthony.com/grenson/...gr002-s16-hon/

That will be Loakes - 7, Barkers - 4 and now Grenson -3

Worst day ever I did starting this thread, it has cost me a fortune !!!!!!

Pitch

Master
    Couldn't agree with more with the last poster, since I've started reading this thread I've brought grensons, barkers and yesterday picked up two pairs of cheaney in the sale it's getting an obsession now.

I'm a size 12/13 dependant on manufacturer so shoe shopping was always a nightmare for me I felt like one of the ugly sisters but the grenson are very forgiving and the barkers are great, but the service in cheaneys yesterday was absolutely superb 👌

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Pitch
    alright imelda
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    alright imelda
    You be careful my party worker, the black Merc may turn up in the night for you....

Pitch
    My work shoe count now stands at 14. I'm scared to work out what the total is.

I have endless brogues and Oxfords so snaffled a pair of driving / slip on Loakes in the last sale and they were superb. Have now grabbed some of the boat shoes, hoping for the same quality...

Master
    Picked up a couple of pairs, well 4 actually in the sale at cheaney

Master
    Do like the Fred's and Archie though from grenson

Heads up. Cheaney brogues at £130 tkmaxx . Just bought a blue pair.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Flip flops.

Another pair of Clarks arrived today. Not my usual style but for £24 in the sale it had to be done.........................

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not brogues; barely shoes.

'They've got womanly breasts under pale mauve vests & shoes like dead pigs' noses.' -- Ian Dury.
    Last edited by jwg663; 19th July 2016 at 17:16.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not brogues; barely shoes.

'They've got womanly breasts under pale mauve vests & shoes like dead pigs' noses.' -- Ian Dury.
    Would more pictures help?.................................

What's with all this metrosexuality about shoes these days?

SHOES (and handbags - We'll have a "What Manbag?" thread next...) are what women do instead of gadgets, cars and bikes!

MEN should have no more interest in shoes than that they keep their feet dry, don't give them blisters and can take a polish if required...

M

^

Next thing you know, we'll be discussing fancy wrist ornamentation on here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

SHOES (and handbags - We'll have a "What Manbag?" thread next...) are what women do instead of gadgets, cars and bikes!

MEN should have no more interest in shoes than that they keep their feet dry, don't give them blisters and can take a polish if required...

M
    I am 100% with you on this one. But then again, I don't have one of these new-fangled daft beards, a pair of hideous orange brogues, a tweed jacket, and to be honest, skintight jeans on my manly frame would get me arrested rather than admired. And I don't walk around looking for virtual monsters on my phone either, mainly because it doesn't seem to be as Smart as everyone elses.

On second thoughts I may have a moth-eaten tweed jacket at the back of the wardrobe next to my shell suits (are elbow patches "in" this year or not?) After my Dad passed away I inherited 2 pairs of his Loake shoes - my size but they hurt like hell so they went off to Oxfam.

Anyhow, must get on because I dropped the sump on the old motor to change the big end bearings and I need it working in time for work in the morning.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

M
    No. Men who have given up on themselves should have no interest in shoes.
    Slobs just don't cut it anymore.
    It's 2016 not 1973 and outdated ideas about what men should and shouldn't be intrested in arent a sign of masculinity anymore. They're just well past their sell by dates.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    It's 2016 not 1973 and outdated ideas about what men should and shouldn't be intrested in arent a sign of masculinity anymore. They're just well past their sell by dates.
    Ok deary

M.

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Another pair of Clarks arrived today. Not my usual style but for £24 in the sale it had to be done.........................

Do they come with a stick on big red plastic nose and a button hole flower that squirts water ? ..

couldn’t agree more.
    its very much a British thing though. i went to Milan on a photography job and wore an unstructured suit by Universal works with a decent plain shirt and a pair of deep burgundy trickers, also wore a harris tweed cap (i alway wear a cap or narrow brimmed fedora for smart) so not super smart but comfortable enough to work in.

I would stand out as smartly dressed in any city high st and probably looked at as ‘gay’ in those artless British towns of middle England. but i felt scruffy compared to the Milanese. they put the effort in and look great, the women take better care of themselves than those of the UK too.

dressing well does take effort but its worth it to not look like you were dressed by your mum using the little woods catalogue for inspiration.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Do they come with a stick on big red plastic nose and a button hole flower that squirts water ? ..
    still got the receipt?....

Master
    I would class those as "court appearance shoes" which "worn once indoors" could go straight back on SC for a small profit to help cover the fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    couldn’t agree more.

its very much a British thing though. i went to Milan on a photography job and wore an unstructured suit by Universal works with a decent plain shirt and a pair of deep burgundy trickers, also wore a harris tweed cap (i alway wear a cap or narrow brimmed fedora for smart) so not super smart but comfortable enough to work in.

I would stand out as smartly dressed in any city high st and probably looked at as ‘gay’ in those artless British towns of middle England. but i felt scruffy compared to the Milanese. they put the effort in and look great, the women take better care of themselves than those of the UK too.

dressing well does take effort but its worth it to not look like you were dressed by your mum using the little woods catalogue for inspiration.

I think some people are getting a bit precious about my light-hearted remark.

If people like shoes that's fine with me.

I had no idea what an 'unstructured suit' was (I do now, I checked), so I'm probably a 'slob', although I'm happy enough to wear a suit if the occasion warrants (Court Appearances, Lineups, etc). It probably came from the Littlewoods catalogue or C&A - I cried for days when they shut...

I'm sure I don't spend enough on my suits for them to be considered 'proper' by some here though.

I suspect too, though, that you may have looked a bit mannered and self-conscious in your style from your description (I could be wrong, I acknowledge and you may have looked the epitome of casual chic - Please don't take offence, none is intended), whilst the Italians managed to look effortlessly cool. Maybe that's my perception only based on seeing how I see some people in London dressing. Even you admit the Italians looked better, despite your efforts.

It may have been common in 1973 to think men who wore smart shoes were somehow less manly (although in the '60s shoes were actually the height of fashion and we had those awful platforms in the 70s, so it may have just been BAD taste that an interest in 1973 shoes reflected...), but it was also unusual 5 years ago for men to openly chat about the particular brand of shoes they wore (and to look down ones nose at people who 'don't wear the same kind of shoes as one' - to paraphrase Mick Jagger).

It just amuses me slightly that anyone can think someone has 'given up' or is a 'slob' because they don't exhibit a high degree of interest in shoes... A shame too that those so eloquent in their description of their clothes resort to insulting anyone lacking their level of interest. Tells you something, I think, about their perspective.

If people are offended by my use of the term "Metrosexuality', look it up. Part of it's definition is exactly this exaggerated interest in appearance and brands. Something that until recently most DEFINITELY was most commonly associated with women (in the same way men often have an unnatural and exaggerated interest in gadgets - Something I would say most here have...)

And just to prove how effortlessly cool I am, here's a picture of me at this very moment...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th July 2016 at 15:31.

^If you've got no interest in clothes/shoes I can see how it might amuse you. I find it equally amusing that adult men come here to ask each other which watch they should wear on holiday. I'd certainly get a more strange looks if I asked my friends that one.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    ^If you've got no interest in clothes/shoes I can see how it might amuse you. I find it equally amusing that adult men come here to ask each other which watch they should wear on holiday. I'd certainly get a more strange looks if I asked my friends that one.
    I totally agree... A grown up should be able to make some basic decisions on their own

I guess, though, I expect such angst over watches on a watch forum, less so over shoes...

M.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not precious or offended. Why should I care?
    I prefer men who make an effort with their appearance. They look better.
    I see no "insult" in my post, just a factual statement regarding current perspectives. :-)

I think some people are getting a bit precious about my light-hearted remark.

If people like shoes that's fine with me.

I had no idea what an 'unstructured suit' was (I do now, I checked), so I'm probably a 'slob', although I'm happy enough to wear a suit if the occasion warrants (Court Appearances, Lineups, etc). It probably came from the Littlewoods catalogue or C&A - I cried for days when they shut...

I'm sure I don't spend enough on my suits for them to be considered 'proper' by some here though.

I suspect too, though, that you may have looked a bit mannered and self-conscious in your style from your description (I could be wrong, I acknowledge and you may have looked the epitome of casual chic - Please don't take offence, none is intended), whilst the Italians managed to look effortlessly cool. Maybe that's my perception only based on seeing how I see some people in London dressing. Even you admit the Italians looked better, despite your efforts.

It may have been common in 1973 to think men who wore smart shoes were somehow less manly (although in the '60s shoes were actually the height of fashion and we had those awful platforms in the 70s, so it may have just been BAD taste that an interest in 1973 shoes reflected...), but it was also unusual 5 years ago for men to openly chat about the particular brand of shoes they wore (and to look down ones nose at people who 'don't wear the same kind of shoes as one' - to paraphrase Mick Jagger).

It just amuses me slightly that anyone can think someone has 'given up' or is a 'slob' because they don't exhibit a high degree of interest in shoes... A shame too that those so eloquent in their description of their clothes resort to insulting anyone lacking their level of interest. Tells you something, I think, about their perspective.

If people are offended by my use of the term "Metrosexuality', look it up. Part of it's definition is exactly this exaggerated interest in appearance and brands. Something that until recently most DEFINITELY was most commonly associated with women (in the same way men often have an unnatural and exaggerated interest in gadgets - Something I would say most here have...)

And just to prove how effortlessly cool I am, here's a picture of me at this very moment...

M
    Fair points and love the "photo" but, pray tell, if you have no interest in shoes what are you doing all over this thread? Why click?

I totally agree and feel the same about women.

I'm not precious or offended. Why should I care?
    I see no "insult" in my post, just a factual statement regarding current perspectives. :-)
    "Men who have given up on themselves" & "Slobs" count as factual statements in your view?

Fashion is all a matter of perception. Today's "slob" is tomorrow's "casual chic".

Beards? Hats? Walking Canes? Swords? Codpieces? All have been the height of fashion and despised as out of date at one time or another.

You're entitled to your view and you can dress as 'dandily' or 'well' as you like, but surely you can see that some people's desire not to dress like you is no more or less a conscious and valid choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Fair points and love the "photo" but, pray tell, if you have no interest in shoes what are you doing all over this thread? Why click?
    I guess it just interested (and wryly amused) me that some people's views have become so different to a few (not the 1970s!) years ago.

All over is a little strong, I raised a point, there were some counters and I responded to those.

If someone posts a watch I don't like, I may say I don't like it - People tend to just accept that instead of resorting to "People who don't wear this watch aren't making an effort and are slobs"...

Anyway, I'll bow out now and never darken your door with my Shoezone velcros again

M

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    For one who claims others preciousness over your own light hearted remarks, you're typing an awful lot.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    "Men who have given up on themselves" & "Slobs" count as factual statements in your view?
    You're entitled to your view and you can dress as 'dandily' or 'well' as you like, but surely you can see that some people's desire not to dress like you is no more or less a conscious and valid choice?
    Slobs don't cut it any more is a factual statement. Yes.
    Disnterest in appearance displays a lack of self care, so again, yes.

Considering that my initial response to you was due to you seeing fit to tell men what real MEN are interested in (and iirc it wasn't footwear), there's a bit of brass neck going on when citing the valid choice to dress differently argument in your favour.

Slobs don't cut it any more is a factual statement. Yes.
    Disnterest in appearance displays a lack of self care, so again, yes.

Considering that my initial response to you was due to you seeing fit to tell men what real MEN are interested in (and iirc it wasn't footwear), there's a bit of brass neck going on when citing the valid choice to dress differently argument in your favour.
    Plenty of Slobs around, far more than those 'taking an interest', so I think your fact is actual a fallacy. At best an opinion.

You can look good without effort (especially if you're young), the opposite is less true (For example, Donald Trump...).

Read back, I didn't mention the word REAL, you added that...

Anyway, I'm slobbing away in the heat today. Too hot for brogues, caps, suits (structured or otherwise).

Never judge a book by it's cover...

If in doubt, my original post was intended to be in jest. Good job people don't take their watches as seriously...

M.

PS ...and apologies for responding after all, the velcro was stuck the thread reminder alert!
    Last edited by snowman; 20th July 2016 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    I've recently completed an equality and diversity course so if that's how you like to dress up its fine by me.....................

Blog Entries
    Chaps,

I started this thread nearly three years ago now and it has been a haven of knowledge and advice and heads up on new sales etc. I really feel folk have gathered a mighty lump of info and made some great purchases along the way.

I suppose I was being idealistic to think that all the good would last and this would be one thread that did not end up descending into a bitch about a subject someone did not feel was that interesting but still felt the need to p1ss on.

Can we play nicely again please and if you don't give a flying one about quality footwear run along elsewhere.

Ta
    Pitch

"Fashion is all a matter of perception"

And fashion is for teenagers and footballers. Style is something different, less transient and more timeless. You know, like a speedy, sub or a pair of Goodyear welted brogues...
    (IMHO)

Are you lot joking,, in this weather?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Are you lot joking,, in this weather?
    I was wearing some Cheaney Tweed C boots in the sun yesterday - they are surprisingly cool to wear!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I was wearing some Cheaney Tweed C boots in the sun yesterday - they are surprisingly cool to wear!
    Shows how much I know,,,

Just got Superdry/Cheaney Tamar boots. I was in Cologne, went in Superdry store and there they were, size 9 in discount section.

more photos when I return home from vacation and when it will cool down enough to wear them.

Craftsman

Heads Up - Cheaney

Cheaney Pimlico, £129.99 at T K Maxx. Has to be one of the best shoe bargains going: http://www.tkmaxx.com/mens-formal-sh.../invt/27276378

Cheap, yes. Quality, for sure. Style? Bleugh!

Craftsman
    Perhaps the style is a bit marmite but I have a pair of these and love them. And the T K Maxx photos certainly don't do them justice. IMHO, really great shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Cheap, yes. Quality, for sure. Style? Bleugh!
    I disagree. Personally, I could not pull them off but I have little doubt someone with true style could carry them off with aplomb.

Doubt they'd work with a Capri, mind...

Journeyman
    I believe Barker Shoes make very nice Brogues

My latest purchase - Superdry by Cheaney.

Love colour and grained leather and can't wait to put them on. Maybe in September, when temperature will drop to +15.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJam View Post
    I believe Barker Shoes make very nice Brogues
    I have a pair of Barker Baileys (Chestnut Brogues) which are my current favourite shoes, just lovely.

Blog Entries

SALE HEADS UP

Chaps,

Some great buys to be had at my local Collen and Clare in Southwold on Loakes.

http://www.collenandclare.com/man-c1...ake-m334#sort7

Not a ship load of stock but just picked up some Burford boots 50% off for 120 quid.

My firm fav brogues are Chester's and they are doing the dantete soles for 112.5o which is a give away.

Fill ya boots

Pitch

Master
    Chaps,

Some great buys to be had at my local Collen and Clare in Southwold on Loakes.

http://www.collenandclare.com/man-c1...ake-m334#sort7

Not a ship load of stock but just picked up some Burford boots 50% off for 120 quid.

My firm fav brogues are Chester's and they are doing the dantete soles for 112.5o which is a give away.

Fill ya boots

Pitch
    Thanks, just ordered some Chester's. For some reason they also applied an additional 10% discount at checkout so actually came in at £101.25 :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    Thanks, just ordered some Chester's. For some reason they also applied an additional 10% discount at checkout so actually came in at £101.25 :)
    You are more than welcome buddy its a win win. Local business gets and a forum buddy bags a bargain. If these are your first chester's you will not be disappointed they are my fav's by a margin.

Pitch