closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    And are being sent back as they are defective! So much for C&J's high standards!
    What was defective?

The leather brogued 'toe cap' (technical term!) has been put on the boot off centre, it is too far to the inside of the boot. The other boot is OK, so they are thus asymmetric. Pics below might show it (ignore the tape measure, I was trying to make sure my eyes weren't wonky!). Apart from that they are lovely boots, although the quality isn't that far ahead of my Cheaney Tweed C boots.

Left (defective) boot

Right boot

That's why they were reduced.

No they weren't seconds - the place I got them from had 10% off all boots, and these C&J Harrys are already cheaper than the almost identical Islays (different last if you are interested!).

That's a bit of a surprise from C&J, although I have had some very dubious QC from Cheaneys bought direct from their website.

Pleased to say the customer service from Rogerson Shoes was excellent, and my new pair of C&J Harrys are rather nice.

George Cleverley has a sale on.. I think it's shop only. Some amazingly low prices when i looked on saturday.

http://www.gjcleverley.co.uk/our-shoes

They had plenty of "deadmens"* shoes for sale in the window.

*made to measure/bespoke shoes where the owners have popped their clogs before the shoes were ready. :D
    Last edited by steptoe; 26th January 2016 at 19:17.

Master
    I was wearing my mahogany loake chesters with the dainite soles last night, i also have a pair of grenson stanleys which are a lot more comfy but the loakes are a lot better quality although they are about the same price dont know if anyone else has found this

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I was wearing my mahogany loake chesters with the dainite soles last night, i also have a pair of grenson stanleys which are a lot more comfy but the loakes are a lot better quality although they are about the same price dont know if anyone else has found this
    I've not been impressed by the quality of my Grensons (made in India) but the laces of my Loake Mulligans self-destructed after 5 or 6 wears which is frankly awful.

At that price point I've found my Barkers to be of the best quality.

Master
    I tried some barker chelsea boots on but they didn't fit

I've tried various cheaneys and had to sell them cos the didn't fit after a while although excellent quality the last pair was a brand new pair of tweed country boots that I bought last year for £350 and sold on eBay last week for £150 someone got a bargain, I've learnt my lesson and won't be buying any more cheaneys

Are you saying they stretched, Michael?

Master
    No they didn't stretch I only wore them round the house for an hour I have very "difficult" feet and a lot of shoes that feel fine in the shop don't fit after wearing them for a few hours.

which makes for a very expensive hobby when your talking new cheaney prices and what they sell for second hand

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Some bargain Cheaney brogues in Jones' for people with flippers for feet...

https://www.jonesbootmaker.com/compo...ced-2724201034

No they didn't stretch I only wore them round the house for an hour I have very "difficult" feet and a lot of shoes that feel fine in the shop don't fit after wearing them for a few hours.

which makes for a very expensive hobby when your talking new cheaney prices and what they sell for second hand
    I'm not sure we can blame Cheaney for that then. :)

Master
    Defiantly not cheaneys fault just love their shoes but it wasn't to be

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I've not been impressed by the quality of my Grensons (made in India) but the laces of my Loake Mulligans self-destructed after 5 or 6 wears which is frankly awful.

At that price point I've found my Barkers to be of the best quality.
    I thought Grenson were made in the UK? Or is there another line made in India you mean? Personally I am very happy with Grenson so far, prefer them to Barker and Loake. Still not comparable with Bally or Ferragamo, but they are priced accordingly. I have yet to try Church's, which I understand are also very well constructed.

Master
    The cheaper grensons g2s are made in India the g1s are uk made but I've never seen the g1s stocked anywhere I have been

Bought a pair of Grenson Stanley's (made in India) in a sale for about £90 a year or so ago. I don't rate them that highly and certainly would fork out a couple of hundred sovs at full retail.

However my Loake 1880s (made in England) feel a notch or two higher in quality

I've just bought some of these 'John Lewis & Co' boots...from John Lewis, obviously. They're made by Barker and are their Butcher boots but with the Itshide rubber sole.

Master
    Glad someone thinks the same as me about grensons qauility

Master
    Glad someone thinks the same as me about grensons qauility
    And another. I had a pair which were OKish - but really they are very well marketed fashion boots rather than real high quality footwear, which is more or less reflected in the price I suppose. Don't think I'd buy another pair though.

The difference between Grenson and say, Trickers (and for me, Alfred Sargent) is significant - it's worth spending the extra IMO.
    Last edited by Neil.Ldn; 28th January 2016 at 08:47.

I agree. One pair of Grensons that I bought, a basic black Oxford, had such cheap leather (most likely corrected grain?) that it would not take a proper shine.

On the other hand I have a pair of half lined summer weight brogues from Grensons which are pretty good and have lasted well.

Cannot compare to Tricker's or Alfred Sargent though I agree.

Master
    Its a bit sad cos at one time grenson were known for well priced quality shoes not any more unless you have £400 for their g1 range

Master
    Chaps

Pediwear are in the last days of their sale and I have just ordered a pair of Loake Chesters which I hope are as good as some people claim.

Regards

Mick

Master
    Had a look im after some nice chelsea boots but nothing cheap enough to tempt me

Master
    Left (defective) boot
    I'm going to have to admit defeat: what is the defect?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    I thought Grenson were made in the UK? Or is there another line made in India you mean? Personally I am very happy with Grenson so far, prefer them to Barker and Loake. Still not comparable with Bally or Ferragamo, but they are priced accordingly. I have yet to try Church's, which I understand are also very well constructed.
    Church's are excellent quality. They do take a while to break in but are super comfortable afterwards.

Anything below £200 retail is unlikely to be genuinely made in UK. There is then a bit of a jump to £350 plus for genuine made in UK shoes. I have to say though that I do have a pair of 'Handcrafted In India' suede Loakes and they are very well finished. Materials are where the savings are made though so they are unlikely to be worth resoling when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I'm going to have to admit defeat: what is the defect?
    The detailing in significantly off centre.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    The detailing in significantly off centre.
    Correct. The toe cap part of the boot was applied off centre by about 1cm! Much easier to see when wearing the boot than in the photo.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the quality of the C&J boots tbh. They don't feel that much better than my Cheaney Tweed Cs - but saying that some parts of the Cheaney boots have worn faster than I would have liked; I guess the true measure of the difference in quality will come with time!

Master
    There are some very good looking boots on this thread. I'm looking for some brogue boots and given some of the comments above, what I'd really like to know is how all these different manufacturers stack up in terms of quality and place of manufacture.

I don't want to spend a fortune - so let's say around £200 as a budget guide. How do Loake; Grenson etc all measure up at that level? Ideally be looking for a boot with a rubber sole and one that can be re-soled and from what I've seen so far in the flesh, I think I'd prefer a grained leather.

Any opinions or places to get this info?

Cheers

Master
    I dont think you could beat loake bedales or burfords for the money better quality than equivelent grensons

I'd pick Loakes from the 1880 range above Grensons. However, if you're not in a rush I would wait for the next sales and look out for some Cheaney Tweed C. I got mine 12 months ago for considerably under your budget but patience is the key.

I just bought some barker creative collection from the outlet last week..

Master
    Herring shoes have still got a sale on some decent prices

Master
    They do look good and there are a few others that I've seen recently.

I did buy some Barbour ones in the sale but they were too big and I had to pay for return postage so now I'm going to take a bit of time and try and some on so that I know my size! One question I do have is - I like wearing quite thin socks all year (typically M&S) - especially as I don't have a country estate to walk around and thick socks make me hot in the car, tube, office etc. - do people find this has any impact on fit?

Cheers

PS Did see some Cheaney Tweed C last week in the sale and they were lovely...

Lovely shoes, but personally can't see the point of leather soles on a winter boot, would have thought a commando sole would have been more fit for purpose

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
    Lovely shoes, but personally can't see the point of leather soles on a winter boot, would have thought a commando sole would have been more fit for purpose
    I wouldn't disagree and that's why I haven't bagged a pair myself. However, in the Acorn leather I suspect you would get away with wearing those for most of the year.

I wouldn't disagree and that's why I haven't bagged a pair myself. However, in the Acorn leather I suspect you would get away with wearing those for most of the year.
    I wouldn't want to wear them all year, but i'm pretty sure Alfred Sargent will resole them with a sole of your choice when the time comes..seem to remember somebody on another form having Dainite soles put on to replace the original leathers.

Got today Loake Buckingham

don't know, I have feeling that I could go down 1/2 size form 9, but then I remember that Loake Chesters 8 1/2 I had to sell because of they were real small for me and Capital last (Buckingham) as far as understand is not as generous as 024 (Chester).

Master
    Very good for the price. I've got a pair of those in black and they are fantastic quality - the leather is really lovely. They are marginally less 'country' as Trickers Stow, or actually the Alfred Sargent Dumfries ( which I also have! ). So slightly less bulky - easier to wear with trousers - and better with thinner socks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd pick Loakes from the 1880 range above Grensons
    I dont think you could beat loake bedales or burfords for the money better quality than equivelent grensons
    +1 for these.
    Loakes finishing is vastly better than the C&J and grensons I have seen.
    On some grensons i have seen the gimping and edge finishing look like they been completed by a toddler weilding a knife and some wax crayons.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    +1 for these.
    Loakes finishing is vastly better than the C&J and grensons I have seen.
    On some grensons i have seen the gimping and edge finishing look like they been completed by a toddler weilding a knife and some wax crayons.
    On reflection I think J Cheaney were actually the worst finished I have seen, a shop in my town stocks them and I initially assumed they were poor seconds until I saw the price tag.

Cool

I think Cheaney Tweed C boots are awesome. I love mine.

I recently discovered a very reputable place where a slightly different version of the same boots were much cheaper than from Cheaney direct.

They now have the boots on sale. They are very cheap.

Would you like me to tell you which online site you can purchase said boots from?

It will cost you lot two things - (i) whoever purchases said boots puts a couple of quid in the fundraiser; (ii) someone tell me a funny joke about a squirrel.

[limited sizes available. And sorry if size 11s are now limited, I've just bought my Dad and I a pair each!]

I think Cheaney Tweed C boots are awesome. I love mine.

I recently discovered a very reputable place where a slightly different version of the same boots were much cheaper than from Cheaney direct.

They now have the boots on sale. They are very cheap.

Would you like me to tell you which online site you can purchase said boots from?

It will cost you lot two things - (i) whoever purchases said boots puts a couple of quid in the fundraiser; (ii) someone tell me a funny joke about a squirrel.

[limited sizes available. And sorry if size 11s are now limited, I've just bought my Dad and I a pair each!]
    I'm after new boots but paying for information on where to buy them - you're avin a larf int ya?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm after new boots but paying for information on where to buy them - you're avin a larf int ya?
    Ok tight a*se - at least tell me a squirrel joke! Or don't you have a 'nutty' sense of humour?

Ok tight a*se - at least tell me a squirrel joke! Or don't you have a 'nutty' sense of humour?
    Is this nutty enough?

"Two men, believed to be from France, have been called "Evil Monsters" after they were filmed luring a squirrel to the edge of the Grand Canyon and kicking it over.

Personally I think they are heroes, because it's always good to have another reason to hate the French."

Craftsman
    Do they have any 12f?

I'll squirrel them away if they do