closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 1575

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

They're stunning. A nice sharp blade down each side will have those buckles and flaps off in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Not sure if I've posted these before. I love them, bity they're pain to put on with the top buckles. Tend to only wear when I know I'll be in them most of the day...

Tricker's Ottenburger. Part of a Himalaya Collection inspired by an order made by Sir Edmund Hilary in 1960.

A couple of pair of Loakes, am also waiting on a pair of oxblood boots from a different company that's been recommended.

Master
    Love these...

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    They're stunning. A nice sharp blade down each side will have those buckles and flaps off in no time.
    Cheers. But I'll forgo that suggestion. The flaps at to their charm.

Given there is some love for these Tricker's boots at the moment, here's another pair. Wearing them to the office today...

Tremendous!

Given there is some love for these Tricker's boots at the moment, here's another pair. Wearing them to the office today...

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Boots look great, lacing needs some work I think, too many non even diagonals for me. As annoying as it is, I prefer 1 lace side to do all the work.
    Although a cross over with over & user works wonders for tightening over the instep.
    Presume you’re familiar with straight bar lacing, which is probably a good call here.

A couple of years ago, after breaking up from a 20 year marriage, I thought time to fix up and look sharp.

I did not own any shoes at all. I think I had a normal cheap pair I had when I got married, somewhere.

Work boots or skate shoes is all Ever wore, luckily there is a loakes in my town. Went in after looking at all the rubbish in the other normal stores.

I had watched the first kingsman film at the time, so that got me interested.

I bought some black 1880 loakes brogues, what a shop, fantastic people and service. Absolutely love the shoes, never looked back.

It’s like buying a decent watch in my opinion.

Might get another pair soon after reading this cool thread.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree, but this method only works with an even number of eyelets 4, 6, 8 not if the boot has 5, 7, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Presume you’re familiar with straight bar lacing, which is probably a good call here.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Totally agree, but this method only works with an even number of eyelets 4, 6, 8 not if the boot has 5, 7, 9.
    It can also flare the cheeks on a transition from eyelets to speedhooks. Reader discretion is advised.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good on you Clinton.

I love that Loake shop, bought a few pairs myself and always pop in when in town.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    A couple of years ago, after breaking up from a 20 year marriage, I thought time to fix up and look sharp.

I did not own any shoes at all. I think I had a normal cheap pair I had when I got married, somewhere.

Work boots or skate shoes is all Ever wore, luckily there is a loakes in my town. Went in after looking at all the rubbish in the other normal stores.

I had watched the first kingsman film at the time, so that got me interested.

I bought some black 1880 loakes brogues, what a shop, fantastic people and service. Absolutely love the shoes, never looked back.

It’s like buying a decent watch in my opinion.

Might get another pair soon after reading this cool thread.
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post

Never feel the boot is tight when I lace like this. Oh and always needing to buy shorter laces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wife wanted some new boots today, off to the Dr Martens factory store we went. I felt it only appropriate I swing by a shop also, picked up these Barker McClean.

Black enough to wear with a suit, but with a dash of colour to make them interesting.

The wife wanted some new boots today, off to the Dr Martens factory store we went. I felt it only appropriate I swing by a shop also, picked up these Barker McClean.

Black enough to wear with a suit, but with a dash of colour to make them interesting.
    I love them!

Blog Entries
    ^^^^
    love those

I used to wear Loake regularly up to town - but since finishing work never wear them now. Maybe I'll dust them down and wear them with my pyjamas sometime.

Master
    I have the McLeans in bright red. Subtle they are not. Reminds me I need to pop the shoe stretchers in again, as the last is a little tight after a full day of wearing.

I lost a lot of interest in Loake since I found that a lot of their shoes are made in India
    Tend to buy Trickers and Cheaney these days.

These are Trickers Stow boots and Bourton country brogues.
    I bought the shoes in the Factory shop on a visit to Northampton. The sales guy said to me "Excellent choice sir. Those shoes will certainly outlast you"
    Last edited by Kevin; 5th December 2020 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I love them!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    ^^^^
    love those
    Cheers both.

I have the McLeans in bright red. Subtle they are not. Reminds me I need to pop the shoe stretchers in again, as the last is a little tight after a full day of wearing.
    I also have these, wear them often...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I’m the subject of fine footwear, I have a belting pair or trickers George, no longer made so I can’t get a half size larger. Would stretching actually work?
    stretching does work, I just did it on a pair of loakes. or one of them. you don't need ipa! stretch spray, I used lasko. it's mainl water though so honestly you could just wet the shoes, insert the trees, leave, repeat with bigger trees or as i did trees with socks on, after a few days the are done.

1880s ans shoemakers are made in Northampton, the other ranges are made in india. however i think loake design, which are designed in uk and spec'ed to use high qualiy materials, may be better than shoemakers

This thread should be entitled which brogues are you not wearing.

I haven’t worn any of my 7 pairs since March.

Master
    Haha! quite true. Although lockdown #1 meant i bought 3 cheap pairs of Loakes from a shop that was forced to go online and dump some stock to keep going, about 55% off. Lockdown #2I bought 3 more pairs on ebay, two at 50 quid and one pair for £25, all new. I don't need shoes for about 15 years ow...maybe more.

These are worth £100 - made in england and I have some of the boots in this range:

https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/261305937

Lovely and a great price in the sale! I don’t need more shoes. I don’t need more shoes....

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    These are worth £100 - made in england and I have some of the boots in this range:

https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/261305937

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Loake have released a hiker style boot that I really want, but Clarks have a very similar looking boot made from Goretex for less than half the price (£125 vs £280). I haven't owned Clarks since I was a kid. Do they make well fitting and well made shoes?

https://www.clarks.co.uk/c/Batcombe-...TEX/p/26144797

https://www.loake.com/product/hiker-brown-suede/
    I ended up buying the Clarks yesterday for £112 but not entirely sure what to do now. They are ridiculously comfortable and I've worn them indoors, but I am trying to get some definitive answer on whether or not you can replace the soles. If you can't then I'm going to return them and buy the Loake but the Loakes aren't as comfortable.

Why wouldn’t you be able to replace the soles?

I ended up buying the Clarks yesterday for £112 but not entirely sure what to do now. They are ridiculously comfortable and I've worn them indoors, but I am trying to get some definitive answer on whether or not you can replace the soles. If you can't then I'm going to return them and buy the Loake but the Loakes aren't as comfortable.

Master
    Why wouldn’t you be able to replace the soles?
    Well I am assuming you can as it looks like a blake stitch but I'm not 100% sure, and I tend to wear the outer heel on my shoes so I want to make sure because I'd hate to bin them after a couple of years.

Master
    Well I am assuming you can as it looks like a blake stitch but I'm not 100% sure, and I tend to wear the outer heel on my shoes so I want to make sure because I'd hate to bin them after a couple of years.
    £112 for a couple of years, more on rotation seems alright to me compared to a £50 resole
    on a £112 boot, your views may differ.

I see some rubber boots / shoes as disposable if rubber soled, unless commando. They are never as good post changing.

£112 for a couple of years, more on rotation seems alright to me compared to a £50 resole

I see some rubber boots / shoes as disposable if rubber soled, unless commando. They are never as good post changing.

I haven't had that experience and don't really understand what you're saying about the commando soles? I have a pair of resoled loake brogues with dainite soles and they are wearing as well as the new pair I have.
    If they are goodyear welted you should be able to resole with a different rubber sole if you like.

Master

The only shoes I dispose of are trainers when they are completely worn out. I'm in the camp of repair rather than replace.

Not brogues but having own a slightly different style of these - there are worth 90 for a made in England shoe and boot with a proper welt:

https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/261308187

https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/261337567

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Not brogues but having own a slightly different style of these - there are worth 90 for a made in England shoe and boot with a proper welt:

https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/261308187

https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/261337567
    Even for £90 those soles don’t look particularly durable. I doubt I’d get more than a couple of months wear out of them. I think they’re having a giraffe with the RRP. £350 and £320 for a pair of Clarks?

Master
    The Clarks plan of reintroducing a hand made in England range didn’t last long, hardly surprising given their pricing.

Master
    Well, I'm not wearing them but hopefully will shortly have some Loake Chester brogues. Bit of a PSA but Debenhams have 50% of all their Loake range and an extra 20% off some so the Chesters were a whisker over £100 which seems good for a 1880 range model which is usually £250 ish. Lots of models available

https://www.debenhams.com/loake

Master
    I still have 3 pairs of unworn Barkers given I no longer wear shoes as WFH. Might need to find some house shoes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Well, I'm not wearing them but hopefully will shortly have some Loake Chester brogues. Bit of a PSA but Debenhams have 50% of all their Loake range and an extra 20% off some so the Chesters were a whisker over £100 which seems good for a 1880 range model which is usually £250 ish. Lots of models available

https://www.debenhams.com/loake
    Usually I would be on that like a terrier down a rabbit hole, but as with most folk I have got nice brogues coming out of my ears, and I haven’t worn a single pair since 16th March 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Usually I would be on that like a terrier down a rabbit hole, but as with most folk I have got nice brogues coming out of my ears, and I haven’t worn a single pair since 16th March 2020.
    I wore some today for the first time in almost a year. Thought I’d dress up for the Dentist!

Picked these Loake up in the Debenhams sale. I wouldn’t have paid £185 but well worth £72.

Master
    Picked these Loake up in the Debenhams sale. I wouldn’t have paid £185 but well worth £72.
    Lucky you! Mine haven't even been dispatched yet though I ordered them last week...

Another pair of Tricker's Stow welcomed to the collection.

Journeyman

Breaking in my new NPS Heath today, was over at the factory shop getting my partner some Solovair Gaucho Crazy horse boots (NPS made the original Doc Martins), got those for just £85, then these NPS (their good year welted style for a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by giblets View Post

Breaking in my new NPS Heath today, was over at the factory shop getting my partner some Solovair Gaucho Crazy horse boots (NPS made the original Doc Martins), got those for just £85, then these NPS (their good year welted style for a bit more.

That is one good looking pair of boots. How do they fit - true to size?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another pair of Tricker's Stow welcomed to the collection.
    Nice .

New pair this week, Grenson Archies. I really like the oversize brogueing on these.

Just finished conditioning them.

If you like a wedge sole version, Grenson Fred and Archie are half price in the John Lewis sale.

Fred £163

https://www.johnlewis.com/grenson-fr...-calf/p5690578

Archie £153

https://www.johnlewis.com/grenson-ar...-calf/p5690538

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I do hope you didn’t condition them new from the box, you really shouldn’t.

https://youtu.be/O3NNsHHMgko

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    New pair this week, Grenson Archies. I really like the oversize brogueing on these.

Just finished conditioning them.

Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I do hope you didn’t condition them new from the box, you really shouldn’t.

https://youtu.be/O3NNsHHMgko
    I disagree. The shoes will have been sat in a box, then possibly on a shelf, for quite some time. The leather may well have dried a bit. I always condition my new shoes with Saphir Renovateur followed by a decent polish. Always works for me!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I disagree. The shoes will have been sat in a box, then possibly on a shelf, for quite some time. The leather may well have dried a bit. I always condition my new shoes with Saphir Renovateur followed by a decent polish. Always works for me!
    To be fair Kirk I always used to do the same, all my care products are Saphir too.

There is not a lot Justin doesn’t know about shoes/shoe care and leather care in general and am happy with the advice he gives.

He used to have a shoe polish/patina service inside gives and Hawkes on the row and his work is exceptional.
    Cheers,

Ben

It's just a pair of shoes guys?

FFS.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

FFS.
    its never “just” a pair of shoes Chris
    Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

FFS.
    U wot m8???