closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Brogues

Church's, Barker Harrison and surely the hardest brogues in the world, Trickers Ilkley commando, you have to be a commando to break them in!

Last edited by melhick; 28th January 2014 at 08:52.

While I also have a couple of pairs of 'normal' brogues ..... Here are my more...erm....distinctive pairs.

Cheaney Edwin

Barker Grant

I'm still wearing my loake bedales. So comfortable.

Master
    Love those Barker Grants.

They get more than a few comments do the Grants. 90% positive 10% pi55 take

Craftsman
    Brand new Loakes are killing me... only another six months of torture and they'll become the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Remember to massage the shoes with your hands for a few hours while watching telly. Particularly on the openings. Don't break the leather just move it around.

Makes them get better very quickly.

1 day on, 3 days off for a little while also helps.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Remember to massage the shoes with your hands for a few hours while watching telly. Particularly on the openings. Don't break the leather just move it around.

Makes them get better very quickly.

1 day on, 3 days off for a little while also helps.
    I'll give that a go.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    Higher end Loake and Barkers certainly made in England.

I agree about Sanders - they made shoes for Army - hence little-known - until (scandalously in my view) contract awarded to China. Sanders reinvented themselves to make a superb range of real British-made high quality shoes. I saw their range recently and was invited to the factory (I've yet to get there) - I doubt there's any assembly of Indian pieces going on there.

http://www.sanders-uk.com/

Sanders MOD Brogues, best in the world! Need some work as per ammo boots to remove pebbled finsh but will last longer than I will! Handy in a fight too....

Craftsman
    [ Handy in a fight too....[/QUOTE]

First thing I consider when shoe shopping ....

Master
    Just found out my wife gets 35% off Church's shoes, so will be paying a visit to the shop at the weekend!

SOTC!!!

Top row - my work shoes - all Cheaney

2nd row - casual shoes - Charles Tyrwhitt, Cheaney, Loake x 2

3rd row - boots - Cheaney, Crocket & Jones, Jeff Banks (!, but they are Goodyear welted), Foster & Sons

Bottom row - various odds & sods, nothing worthy of mention

I do have a couple of pairs missing (aside from a few more pairs of summer shoes), so I'll be hunting for them tonight!

Craftsman
    Inspired by this thread I picked up a pair of Loakes 1880 Hestons. I tried the Chester's as well, I may return for those another time.

Maybe they will change my mind on Loakes.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Top row - my work shoes - all Cheaney

2nd row - casual shoes - Charles Tyrwhitt, Cheaney, Loake x 2

3rd row - boots - Cheaney, Crocket & Jones, Jeff Banks (!, but they are Goodyear welted), Foster & Sons

Bottom row - various odds & sods, nothing worthy of mention

I do have a couple of pairs missing (aside from a few more pairs of summer shoes), so I'll be hunting for them tonight!

Tony you need to get out more...nice collection though! You can do the Watch and the Shoe SOTC together?

Craftsman
    Very impressive collection. What are the ones on the second shelf, second from left ?

Quote Originally Posted by K80 View Post
    Very impressive collection. What are the ones on the second shelf, second from left ?
    They're Cheaneys, but I can't remember the model name - I picked them up last winter.

Master
    Where do you buy your shoe trees from Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    There's a German seller on Amazon - I'm not at my desk at the moment but I posted a link on one of the recent shoe threads.

Master

Shoe trees

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Sorry to butt in, I get mine from an eBay seller based in Weston super mare called best-for.

He does cedar trees, seconds but you would hardly know for £14.99 delivered, check him out, I've had 12 pairs off him and all good.

Steve

Craftsman
    They're Cheaneys, but I can't remember the model name ...
    Cheaney Birmingham, in Chestnut - I have a pair too.

Quote Originally Posted by neil62 View Post
    Cheaney Birmingham, in Chestnut - I have a pair too.
    Spot on, Neil - they're beautiful, and quite unusual in that they're punched to such a degree (almost in the shape of a wing tip).

I'll upset the apple cart....

I'll be stomping around in these today.

DM Oxblood Patent Afflecks

Last edited by Bootsy; 1st February 2014 at 10:28.

Poser!!!

Poser!!!
    Bravo! No flapping my hair ithe wind though - any Porka driving will be in a coupe

Craftsman
    Can anyone guess my favourite shoemaker?

Craftsman
    Can anyone guess my favourite shoemaker?

That shelf looks like it's going to give way !

Master
    There's a German seller on Amazon - I'm not at my desk at the moment but I posted a link on one of the recent shoe threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie996 View Post
    Sorry to butt in, I get mine from an eBay seller based in Weston super mare called best-for.

He does cedar trees, seconds but you would hardly know for £14.99 delivered, check him out, I've had 12 pairs off him and all good.

Steve
    Cheers for that, found a few places on ebay and amazon.

I went to Church's Shoes in Bicester village yesterday but they had nothing that interested me so ended up buying a pair of suede Timberland boots...heresy!

Cheaney Tweed C

Well that's something else I've bought due to TZ! Just picked up a pair of Cheaney Tweed C Almond Grain boots, they are superb.

http://www.cheaney.co.uk/country-lei...n-almond-grain

Can anyone recommend a polish / cream to retain the colour? Cheaney don't sell almond colour polish.

(I got them cheap from the Shu Bar in Ashton-under-lyne, near Manchester, if anyone wants a bargain!)

Worth noting that if you live anywhere near Ross-on-wye that the Herring shop is closing down.

Got a pair of Herring Carnaby which are by Barker for £49 yesterday. Seconds but I could not find the flaw !

Inspired by this thread, I am now looking for my first pair of brogues. Ideally looking for a dark brown colour. Really like Church's Chetwynd:

http://www.church-footwear.com/en/UK.../nevada-walnut

And these Loakes :

http://www.loake.co.uk/buckingham.html

The Church's are double the price of the Loakes at £395. Question is, are the Church's a significant step up in quality to warrant the price?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Well that's something else I've bought due to TZ! Just picked up a pair of Cheaney Tweed C Almond Grain boots, they are superb.

http://www.cheaney.co.uk/country-lei...n-almond-grain

Can anyone recommend a polish / cream to retain the colour? Cheaney don't sell almond colour polish.

(I got them cheap from the Shu Bar in Ashton-under-lyne, near Manchester, if anyone wants a bargain!)
    Congratulations on your purchase, you will not be disappointed with them, I love mine.

I use Loake tan wax on mine, works fine.

Regards

Steve

I love them too, although the wife thinks I look like a cowboy wearing them! I'm waiting for some Saphir renovateur and neutral shoe cream to arrive then I can wear them properly.

Great thread OP!

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    I'll upset the apple cart....

I'll be stomping around in these today.

DM Oxblood Patent Afflecks

Doc's and my dinner jacket when I'm feeling rebellious :-)

Master
    Here are mine, I love them, I think they're Sargent's. Anyone idea what to treat them with (apart from TLC of course). I don't think I've ever put anything on them

Goodyear welted, full leather brogues reduced from £120 to £31 at high and mighty online at the moment. Sizes 10 upwards it seems. Also lots of other cheap footwear there. Www.highandmighty.co.uk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    Goodyear welted, full leather brogues reduced from £120 to £31 at high and mighty online at the moment. Sizes 10 upwards it seems. Also lots of other cheap footwear there. Www.highandmighty.co.uk
    Sorry but that's all they are worth.

Just a quick heads up:

Debenhams on-line have some decent discounts (around £50) on some Loakes at the moment. Scroll through the page to see discounted shoes.

Looky Here!

Should be free postage too.
    ______

​Jim.

Master

Craftsman
    Was rather taken with these suede Loakes today http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...84010136773_-1 but am a little worried as to the longevity of suede.

Anybody have anecdotal evidence of how long suede can look good for? Can it last as long as leather with appropriate care?

Rusty

Craftsman
    Ordered myself a pair of these beauties yesterday:

Got a great deal at 30% off. One pair left, size 10, if anyone is interested: http://www.julesb.co.uk/the-edit-262...oes-730849.htm

I'm rocking tan Grenson Kingsley at the minute...

http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/kingsley

Craftsman
    Ordered myself a pair of these beauties yesterday:

Got a great deal at 30% off. One pair left, size 10, if anyone is interested: http://www.julesb.co.uk/the-edit-262...oes-730849.htm
    Use code SLE20 at checkout for a further 20% off. That's a great pair of shoes hand made in Northamptonshire for close to £135!
    Now that's a bargain!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    Was rather taken with these suede Loakes today http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...84010136773_-1 but am a little worried as to the longevity of suede.

Anybody have anecdotal evidence of how long suede can look good for? Can it last as long as leather with appropriate care?

Rusty
    Very anecdotally, it can look good as long. I recently bought a pair of these: http://www.loake.co.uk/pimlico.html in brown suede. I gave them a spray with some suede protector, and after wearing them I sometimes brush them. They have so far got drenched in rain once, and dried out looking fine, especially after a brush (once dry) to remove dried mud, dust and other deposits that are left after a city soaking. They're still quite new, however. As a better anecdote, I would mention the customer ahead of me in the shop, who was replacing a pair of Loake brown suede shoes which he claimed to have had for twenty years. The uppers looked no more worn, scuffed or faded than mine do now. Perhaps he only wore them as slippers. I suspect, however that the answer is that suede can look good long term if looked after, much like any shoe leather.

Grenson all the way

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolzenith View Post
    Grenson all the way
    But like Loake, Grenson make some of their shoes in India. For me Cheaney are the ones to beat, the entire range is UK made.

Craftsman
    Use code SLE20 at checkout for a further 20% off. That's a great pair of shoes hand made in Northamptonshire for close to £135!
    Now that's a bargain!
    Pulled the trigger on these, not going to find Cheaney's at this price often and I was after a new pair of brogues anyway :)

Always worth popping into the Cheany factory shop if you are near Desborough. Quite often get some shoes for early to mid £100’s. Seconds but often hard to spot the flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Pulled the trigger on these, not going to find Cheaney's at this price often and I was after a new pair of brogues anyway :)
    Lucky they were in your size! If they had mine I definitely would have

A brogue based heads up.

Clarks Montacute Lord brogue boots in black/charcoal grey are half price at £42.49
    OK, so they're not gonna be Northampton quality, but could be worth a shot at that price and seem to have good reviews.

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20355342

No 10.5 in stock unfortunately, which i think i'll need, but i've got a pair of 10's and 11's on there way to my local store to try on and see if i can get away with either of. You don't pay till you pick them up, so if they don't fit or you don't like the look/feel you can walk away.

Brighty

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie996 View Post

Steve
    Only see these on for £22 Steve, do they fluctuate on price much?

Anyone got other recommendations around the £15 mark posted for decent cedar trees?