closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Watch Man

I'm not sure watch collecting is entirely suited to monogamy. I'll leave the philosophers amongst us to debate it's relative success in Western society ;-)

Master
    I reckon this thread is pretty strong affirmation of this thread here THE PROGRESSION OF ROLEX OWNER

For me it would either be a Sub C (most likely Hulk) and/or a Casio GW5000........ (the latter case f I never have to dress up again in my life)
    Last edited by ASW1; 18th August 2013 at 20:55.

Banned
    I checked out the LM 42mm Planet Ocean yesterday, it could easily be a one watch solution for me.

I think i'm well on my way to being a one watch man. I rarely wear anything else these days.

Who cares what date it is anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
    I'm picking up a GMT IIc on Friday - sincerely hoping that this will become my 'one watch' otherwise this will become a very expensive passion!!
    It will become your 'one watch' for maybe a few months, then your eye will start wandering, you will look on the forum, start to browse sales corner, and think what if I just bought a cheaper watch for the times I don't want to wear the Rolex, you will set yourself a modest budget of £500 then start looking at what £1000 will buy you, then before you know it have purchased a watch for £2500

The collection will then begin...

getting very tempted lately to condense my relatively modest collection to fund a moon watch. I'd keep my spike lee g shock but other than that it should pretty much pay for the speedy. considering being an (almost!) one watch man. I think a few threads showing how versatile they are is responsible for this

anyone on here a one watch man with a speedy pro as that one watch ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    I've only got three watches but I wouldn't want to get many more (5 max?) as it would feel a bit wasteful to me, to have them sitting there not getting worn much. The more you accumulate, the less wrist time each one can get. As you say, some people may not be bothered about that, but for me the actual wearing of the watches is paramount. This is partly why I try to have every piece very different for the others - PP Aquanaut, JLC Reverso and Omega Speedy. Just like to add a Rolex Sub C and a gold PP and that should do me...
    And when you've got 5, 7 will be the new 5, then 10, etc etc. it won't be until you reach 10+ that you will consider scaling down, and probably closer to 20 when you actually do.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    And when you've got 5, 7 will be the new 5, then 10, etc etc. it won't be until you reach 10+ that you will consider scaling down, and probably closer to 20 when you actually do.
    Agree. Buy what you need and don't accumulate to reach a "number". I would also add that when you will get your 5 "favorite" watches, your tastes/standards will certainly evolve (usually "flight to quality").

Craftsman
    I think the OWG thing is just a phase collectors go through, and eventually give up on. It's just impossible to cast aside a collection of good watches built up over a long period. And though a particular one becomes a favourite for a while, eventually another one takes its place. Obviously there might come a time when certain watches just aren't getting worn at all and can be disposed of, but flipping the lot to fund The Big One means losing too many old friends.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I think i'm well on my way to being a one watch man. I rarely wear anything else these days.

Who cares what date it is anyway.
    Is that my old watch Rob? I've stuck with the 5513 that replaced it, alternating with an IWC MK XVI but I think I'm on the way to one-watchdom too. But whether the 5513 will be the one is still being debated in my mind as I do quite like the new equivalent...

Ant

Craftsman
    I was a one watch man from I was 6 years old and until I was 52. First I had a small cheap "school watch" branded Coinor, which lasted until I got a Seico 18 years old. Then I got a Rolex 1500 as a graduation present from my parents, which was my only watch for almost 25 years. But the the contaguous WIS desease struck ....

Here and now, if I had to choose only one watch to keep, it would be my IWC 3706.

When I come to think about it, I haven't worn the Rolex once since getting that IWC in my first fit of WIS desease.

If you are going to go one watch, then the iconic design and brand power or Rolex and a Sub / Sub-date / SD makes a really compelling case. Having said that, you need something else that you can be more carefree with, and I get as much delight from my Smiths and Seiko cheapies as the iconic Sub.

David

Grand Master
    As of this week I have next to no mortgage and next to no watches!

Just one main one (maybe two!)
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    As of this week I have next to no mortgage and next to no watches!

Just one main one (maybe two!)
    Congratulations! Wish I could say the same.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive been a one watch woman since December 2012.
    I think Ive been through 60+ in the last 5 odd years.
    The one I unexpectedly stuck at is the Breitling SOH 38.. It just ticks all the boxes for me and i habitually wear it on a waxy brown vintage leather one piece strap.
    I did put it up for sale after my usual month or so of ownership but withdrew as i had a "hang on, i dont want to do this" moment and its stuck ever since.

That said, If I wasnt oddly attached to it.. my one of choice would be the iwc inge 3227-01.. but it would be a tough choice between that and the rolex expii polar which is my biggest selling regret.. it was a fantastic watch so i see your point Ach.

Master
    I could never be a one watch man but if I had to choose one iconic watch it would probably be a Submariner.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Is that my old watch Rob?
    Hi Ant, It is your old one.
    It seems to have beaten off all of the other competition. I've got an SD and an X33 that mostly just sit in the box these days.

There's something about how the old Tritium lume goes a bit creamy that I seem to like a lot. I think the plexi on a 5513 could make for the perfect watch. I tried on a 114060 not long ago. It was lovely, but didn't do it for me in the same way that this one does.