closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It has landed - PRS30 in the wild

Master

It has landed - PRS30 in the wild

It's here!

Poor quality phone pics alert - in a rush and excited...

Unboxing

Freebie

Contents

The watch

Eek - strap too big

I came prepared

On the wrist

I'm very pleased - it's not too big and looks great.

Great, which strap did you go for?

Gorgeous watch. Mr P is definitely on a roll!

Red face

Just got mine

I'm really jealous. I haven't even got my dispatch e-mail yet. I hope I didn't miss out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Great, which strap did you go for?
    Shortest 24mm dark brown hadley roma I could find quickly with next day delivery on westonwatchstraps. It's a 120/70 and I did have to punch an extra hole but I didn't mind doing that in a strap I could replace.

I'll probably have a dig around to find something better eventually, especially something I can put the bronze buckle on.

I'd have loved to have used the supplied straps as they feel great but just a bit too long.

Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    Eek - strap too big

What size is your wrist???? I knew the standard strap would be too big and probably have an excessive tail but I didn't expect not to be able wear the watch! Bollox.

Master
    6 and a half inch wrist - just big enough for the watch really.

The supplied straps are 125/85 and the bronze buckle is big too. It's the 85 side which is the killer for me.

Supplied strap would be wearable on a 7 inch wrist no problems.

I was worried about the strap and got a shorter one in just in case.

The supplied straps are 125/85 and the bronze buckle is big too. It's the 85 side which is the killer for me.

Thanks. As I'm 6.75" it appears I'm fooked.

Master
    Might wear a little loose but could be manageable.

Lot of it is going to depend on wrist shape and how the watch sits.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Thanks. As I'm 6.75" it appears I'm fooked.
    Same as mine. It is a bit loose but wearable.
    I'm looking into buying a rectangle hole punch for these straps. If anyone has any recommendations, that would be appreciated.

I've just worn this out to lunch and I have to say I can't get over how stunning it really is. My wife even loves it which is saying a lot.
    It's has already started to darken in colour since taking it it out of the box four hours ago.
    Last edited by davida; 14th August 2013 at 17:15.

The buckle does look massive in that shot of yours! Still looks a winner on your back up. Nice!

Couple of pics.

All the pictures are looking bloody fantastic. Anyone with an eight and a half inch wrist able to report on how the piece wears?

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    All the pictures are looking bloody fantastic. Anyone with an eight and a half inch wrist able to report on how the piece wears?
    I think Eddie has a 8 inch wrist so the promo pics should give you a good idea.
    Don't hesitate with this one. It's fantastic.

Thanks to all for pics. Davida has especially captured how I imagine it to look on opening the box
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Thanks to all for pics. Davida has especially captured how I imagine it to look on opening the box
    Have you ordered one, mate?

Too right. Been waiting a long while for it. Took delivery of the 68 too, cracking watch. Truth be known timing is not great (for purchases not the Smiths performance), I have job offers pending which should straighten things out. That or they'll soon be on SC!
    Gray

The pics are looking great.

I got my dispatch e-mail today. I can't wait. I will probably put it straight on the black strap.
    Last edited by SeanST150; 15th August 2013 at 11:07.

Craftsman
    I ordered one black and one brown of these:

They have 22mm buckles and the holes look rectangular enough to take Eddie's bronze buckle. The Hirsch Liberty would have been ideal, but it has round holes.

http://www.strappedfortime.com/shop/...and-strap/247/

Journeyman

Hi Guys

Back again.

That is a very pretty watch. I would get one now, but being on a pension, that looks like a distant wish. :)

A few wrist shots.

Last edited by davida; 15th August 2013 at 10:44.

Those three wrist shots look all the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Those three wrist shots look all the same!
    Amended them for you dude.
    Last edited by davida; 15th August 2013 at 10:45.

Time for my contribution. I love the Peli case this came in, it's superb. Note at the back of the picture, another box from Eddie - a PRS-29a for SWMBO. It arrived with the black strap on. Eddie must of known that's how I was going to wear it.

As you can see, it's nowhere near as big as I thought. Worrying for nothing, as it looks perfect on my wrist.

It certainly has the biggest buckle of any watch I own. But it suits it perfectly so I'm not complaining. I wear it on the smallest hole. The straps are the most soft leather I have ever felt.

Overall I'm very very happy. Thank you Eddie.
    Last edited by SeanST150; 15th August 2013 at 11:03.

That packaging is the Dog's doodahs.Very slick and ultra professional.Eddie you have done it again another superb project from design to completion and also to Your co-contributor on this particular Watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Same as mine. It is a bit loose but wearable.
    I'm looking into buying a rectangle hole punch for these straps. If anyone has any recommendations, that would be appreciated. .........
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A View Post

............ They have 22mm buckles and the holes look rectangular enough to take Eddie's bronze buckle. The Hirsch Liberty would have been ideal, but it has round holes. .........

I've had the good luck of finding an excellent leather goods repairman fairly nearby who seems to be able to very nicely fix and/or alter near anything. Costs a bit but has worked out well for me when it's beyond anything "do-it-yourself" simple I'm up to. I'd probably take adding an extra square adjustment hole to the 30's nice Toshi/Panerai style straps to him with the confidence he'd do a fine job of it. As England and the British Isles are historically famous across the world for fine craftsman and craftsmanship, I'd guess you'd all have an easier time of it finding good leatherwork over there than it took me here. There are also a number of leatherworking forum members here you might find on the TZ-UK watchband subforum [ http://forum.tz-uk.com/forumdisplay....bber-amp-Nylon ] that seem to know exactly what they are talking about who might be of great help.

One thing to add that's within my own experience, though, is that I ordered one of the following Meyhofer "Messina" [same Toshi/Panerai style] straps in 18mm/Light Brown for a petite female relative to use with a Seiko 5 she has. Of course, I had to run it out for a three week field test to make sure it was good enough for her (you might want to take note that saying it that way made it easier to explain why I was wearing her brand new strap on my old Hamilton) and found some of the stitching came loose which was easy to redo and the "free" type sliding keepers needed a tighter friction fit on the strapping which can be fixed by simply stitching in a thin leather liner to the inner underside of each loop. Otherwise I liked these Meyhofer "Messina" straps and decided to order a black one in 18mm for myself someday. It's no Toshi in quality and needs work but I think it's basically good, certainly at a good price, and is very appropriate for smaller diameter wrists. However, I don't think these would work with the PRS-30's special 22mm bronze buckle as the Meyhofer Messinas, unlike the 30's stock straps, are straight and untapered in all sizes including the 24mm the 30 needs.

http://www.watch-band-center.com/wat...Messina-2.html

However, the thing you might want to take away from my experience with the Meyhofer was that the buckle uses a 4mm wide flat prong in conjuction with perfectly ROUND 3mm or so diameter stock adjustment holes punched in the thick strapping and these worked flawlessy for me with no downsides I could see. In other words, if you can find other appropriately thick and congruently tapered straps from Hadley-Roma, Di-Modelle, Hirsch, Rios1931, etc., with larger round holes, you might find the 30's special solid bronze buckle still works well with them also, and if you need extra adjustment holes added to the 30's neat Toshi style straps, appropriately sized round holes punched in might work fine in a pinch (if they don't, or you hate the way they look, I'm sure you will too late find this suggestion "not helpful", to understate it, so please proceed with caution).

BTW, great pictures, Teadazed and Davida, and Sean also. The 30 looks great and I think especially so on the straps it comes with judging from all the pictures put up so far, perhaps at best with the black maybe. That's subjective, of course, but I'm curious which colour most owners find seems to go best with the bronze case as it patinates over time and any comments anybody can make to that would be appreciated.

Craftsman
    Indeed. Funny thing is, at work today as I was spending $$$ on straps for my 6.5" wrist, I was wearing my Davidsen radiomir homage, with a custom Toshi in situ! I didn't even look at it closely, as it is not tapered. But on inspection it can be seen that my Toshi has a 4mm flat prong also, fitting neatly into the round holes. I will note that the holes on the Toshi look rather a bit wider (4mm in fact) than the holes on the Hirsch Liberty.

Well, disappointingly, I ordered a Liberty yesterday before anyone pointed out the fatal flaw in my plan. The holes are really small so I can't see it being suitable. Double bollox.

Postie called just before 13.00 with #0012 and after trying it with the lovely (but chunky and a touch too big for my 7 1/2" wrist) black strap I changed it for this...

...one of Eddies rubbers!

I know they are not everybody's cuppatea and the jury isn't out with me yet.

^
    Not for me but if you like it.

Master
    ^ interesting alternative but I prefer it on leather.

I'd be interested to see it on a nato if anyone has tried that.

Was also thinking about a gasgasbones.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Postie called just before 13.00 with #0012 and after trying it with the lovely (but chunky and a touch too big for my 7 1/2" wrist) black strap I changed it for this...
    How do you know which number you've got?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    How do you know which number you've got?
    Last three digits of the serial number. 005 for me.

I have changed it to the black leather one now and it is a loose/cumfy fit on the 1st hole.

Master
    004 for me.

Craftsman
    Pics with the 6.75" wrists have sealed it for me. Hope I am in time on Tuesday!

Despatch note received and (another) replacement strap ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Last three digits of the serial number. 005 for me.
    It that case, it's 15 for me.

I wonder if this is how many Eddie has sold? Are they dispatched in the order they were ordered or is it just pot luck?

Dispatch note received too, and the Rhino arrived today so that makes 3 straps ready and waiting for the Doc Savage watch!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    It that case, it's 15 for me.

I wonder if this is how many Eddie has sold? Are they dispatched in the order they were ordered or is it just pot luck?
    The numbers are picked out of the box sequentially unless someone makes a request for a specific number; if it's available I always accommodate.

Somebody, somewhere, has Speedbird III 666.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

^^^^^^^^

Eddie sorted out #48 for me as a wife purchase birthday present.
    Shame I can't get my hands on it until October, when I'm 48

Craftsman
    My PRS 30 was waiting for me on my return home tonight and what a beaut. The only issue is strap length which is one notch too big like the others above. It is loose fitting but is it too loose? Time will tell!

Master
    That's a beauty, mate!
    I like it a lot and I think it looks much better than others Cu watches.

My wonderful wife bought one as a belated 50th and it arrived this morning. Back in December on my birthday, fortified by our consumption at the German market, I found myself gazing into WOS display. My wife said,"one time offer, pick one!" I struggled, but not one of the watches appealed. I am so glad I didn't choose on impulse as I am now sat with this wonderful creation on my wrist. Thanks to Eddie and all who assisted. For info my wrist is a tad over 6 1/2 inches post op having lost 17lbs from my former bulky 12 1/2 stones! My wrist is flat and the watch sits perfectly without roll or slip, with the strap on the last whole.

A few quick shots with the Nikon p300

Regards

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    My wonderful wife bought one as a belated 50th and it arrived this morning. Back in December on my birthday, fortified by our consumption at the German market, I found myself gazing into WOS display. My wife said,"one time offer, pick one!" I struggled, but not one of the watches appealed. I am so glad I didn't choose on impulse as I am now sat with this wonderful creation on my wrist. Thanks to Eddie and all who assisted. For info my wrist is a tad over 6 1/2 inches post op having lost 17lbs from my former bulky 12 1/2 stones! My wrist is flat and the watch sits perfectly without roll or slip, with the strap on the last whole.

A few quick shots with the Nikon p300

Regards

Nigel
    Hi Nigel those are really excellent shots of the watch on wrist double congratulations on an outstanding new watch and Your weight loss.

Cheers for that, but I REALLY didn't want to loose the weight, but that's what resulted with the heart surgery

nigel

Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    Cheers for that, but I REALLY didn't want to loose the weight, but that's what resulted with the heart surgery

nigel
    Stay healthy My Friend and have a great weekend.

Phew! Scary moment....

The postie arrived and at first I thought it was extra packaging by Eddie until I read what was printed on the outer bag...

I needn't have worried though.

A quick strap change as nice as the two supplied they are just to long for me.

just bloody awesome! Well done Eddie & Chris.