closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch roll

Craftsman

Watch roll

This is a topic I would've thought had been discussed quite a few times, but I did a search and went back almost 18 months without finding anything to my liking, so here it goes:

At the moment, I keep my watch straps, tools and assorted stuff in a flowery pouch thingy I once stole from my gran, and it's neither pretty nor practical. Therefore, I am on the lookout for a roll-up watch roll, not necessarily leather, and I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions. I am on a student budget, and prefer to spend the bigger chunks of money on watches, so I'm not looking for something crazy expensive. To give you an idea of what I'm after, here's two examples:

This one from Worn & Wound is pretty great, but it's sold out, and I'd love a pocket or two more.

Not yet for sale, this camo roll from Bulang & Sons looks pretty perfect, but it's made to hold NATO straps, and I don't think I'd fit a watch in there. I like the idea of roll made of fabric instead of leather, mostly because I don't want heavy and hard leather like the ones I found in my search here. The leather on the Worn & Wound roll, however, looks perfect.

Any suggestions?

I bought one of these for the wife's watches, its not great quality, but not expensive and does the job...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1706330613...84.m1423.l2649
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Might I suggest contacting the forum's very own kungfugerbil, see here for some of Mike's fantastic handywork. Just so you know I'm not affiliated and I've yet to commission anything from him but it would seem that what he can't do with leather isn't worth doing

i bought this, made by kungfugerbil, from someone on the forum and it is a superb thing.

it fits my larger watches very easily

a great way to take my watches with me on a trip.

Craftsman
    Bremont do a nice watch roll, you can even put your straps in the tubular bit the strap wraps round...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    Therefore, I am on the lookout for a roll-up watch roll, not necessarily leather, and I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions.

Any suggestions?
    Saw this for Nato straps at http://www.gasgasbones.com/accessories/; don't know whether it would take the watches as well.

Craftsman
    Kungfugerbil's rolls look absolutely stunning, and perfect for my use, but it seems like he makes them all with the kind of thick and heavy leather that I'm trying to avoid. A leather roll would be fine, but it would have to be the lighter kind that's on the Worn & Wound roll.

The one from GGB looks pretty cool and practical, but I doubt it'll fit a watch or three, and I don't understand why there's no string to tie up the roll. I've been searching relatively ferociously today, and it looks like it's going to be a hard task to find the roll I'm looking for. If only the Worn & Wound ones weren't sold out...

I prefer this shape when it comes to watch rolls (or travel cases). I like when the case is hard and not soft.

Here's one I had that was IWC branded:

My roll has just arrived from Worn & Wound, and good it looks too. Nice and flexible, and ideal for travel. I'm figuring that's why there are only four slots, as it isn't meant to be a store for an entire collection. It's got a well made but industrial look to it. Half the fun is going to be selecting the four watches to take on every trip from here on.

Took about two weeks from US to UK by regular mail. Recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Might I suggest contacting the forum's very own kungfugerbil, see here for some of Mike's fantastic handywork. Just so you know I'm not affiliated and I've yet to commission anything from him but it would seem that what he can't do with leather isn't worth doing
    +1. I bought a roll from him and it's a very beautifully made thing. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
    My roll has just arrived from Worn & Wound, and good it looks too. Nice and flexible, and ideal for travel. I'm figuring that's why there are only four slots, as it isn't meant to be a store for an entire collection. It's got a well made but industrial look to it. Half the fun is going to be selecting the four watches to take on every trip from here on.

It's not exactly what one might call "a bargain" though, is it? Although I have to say that I do rather like it.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I did agonise about the cost (particularly with postage), but then we do happily spend thousands on a watch. I figured if I was going to start down the hand-made strap and boutique watch manufacturer route, then I might as well get something a little bit individual to carry them around in.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post

It does look very pretty, and it is the best alternative I've found thus far, but unfortunately it's sold out at the moment. How much did you end up paying, with postage? I am kind of set on the roll-up kind, and the ones made by kungfugerbil are truly beautiful, but I'm guessing that they're not cheap either? I might have to pop him a PM to see if he makes them with softer and lighter leather too, more like the material on the Worn & Wound one. The absolutely ideal roll would be the one from Worn & Wound with two additional pockets, but I'm starting to think that it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    It does look very pretty, and it is the best alternative I've found thus far, but unfortunately it's sold out at the moment. How much did you end up paying, with postage? I am kind of set on the roll-up kind, and the ones made by kungfugerbil are truly beautiful, but I'm guessing that they're not cheap either? I might have to pop him a PM to see if he makes them with softer and lighter leather too, more like the material on the Worn & Wound one. The absolutely ideal roll would be the one from Worn & Wound with two additional pockets, but I'm starting to think that it doesn't exist.
    Postage was 25$us. I guess you could make the most of it by picking up a strap or two too. I need to give a W&W leather NATO a try soon as well, if I can think of a suitable watch to use it on.

I was looking for the soft tool roll/knife roll style over the hard leather case. I have a watch box, so that fulfils the home storage function. If there were a more local manufacturer of softer leather or canvas, I would certainly give them a look.

Craftsman
    I was looking at the timetraveller ones for £83 which look really nice though after asking a few questions they hold watches up to 42mm so my 45mm diver wouldn't fit :(
    Anyway luckily I found an alright one from 'fossil' that you can't really go wrong with at £25!
    Real leather outer (embossed with a watch logo) , textile interior, has elastic to hold the watch down and a sturdy zip... All in all looks pretty well made.
    The website is out if stock but I got it from the fossil store in York outlet so there will be some in the outlet stores still :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I prefer this shape when it comes to watch rolls (or travel cases). I like when the case is hard and not soft.

Here's one I had that was IWC branded:

Another benefit of this style is that the inside of the bracelet doesn't wear against the case back.

Worn & Wound watch roll back in stock apparently.