closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How do you choose what to sell?

Craftsman

How do you choose what to sell?

After just over a year on the forum, I'm starting to think I may need to sell some watches, I've gone from 1 functional watch to 10. ( That includes G-Shocks for those who think they are not really watches).The problem is I have reasons to keep all of them, my first watch on the forum, first TF watch etc.

I'll hopefully have about the same amount of watches but with a bit more diversity.

I guess some people find it easy, some find it difficult. But do people change? hoarders become flippers? collectors become the One Watch Guy? Any experiences of such things.

Grand Master
    i'm a serial flipper, often the thrill is in the chase. I also like to try new stuff for a while and flipping means i can try far more than if i kept everything.
    I have a couple though that i would only sacrifice if the opportunity came up to own on of my grails - which are out of my league just now...
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

If you're even the least little bit self aware, I think it gets harder to know what to sell after you've been at this for a while, because you're (hopefully) getting a better idea what you like as time goes on. This has been the case for me at least, as I've flipped a couple of hundred watches, gone back and re-bought some I decided I shouldn't have sold and now have a collection that includes a half dozen or so that I know I shouldn't touch when I get the itch to raise some cash and buy something new. As a consequence I've bought some bargain basement cheapies for fun just so I have fodder for the sales forums when I get the urge, and to lessen the temptation to sell something more desirable that I'll later regret having sold. This is a way to insure that what I call "keepers" remain "keepers".

Personally I have changed a lot since I started collecting watches and I'm continuously changing through time. There was a time that I only had mechanical chronos, the last years I'm into divers and I don't mind wearing quartz watches. Also, I don't mind having or wearing a dress watch once in a while. These types of changes are slow to me in time, but my mood among the watches I have each period is changing very fast from wearing an expensive watch or a cheap watch, a simple desing watch or a modern watch etc.

When it comes the time to choose what to sell, it depends on its wrist time, its type of watch and if I'm in a mood for such watches at that time, if it has any type of sentimental value (and yes some of my watches are NOT for sale), how bad I want the watch I have my eye on, for which I'm selling something else and other parameters. To me it is a combination of logic and sentiment.

It's complicated, but for one reason or another, I think becoming a flipper is a bit of a necessity for most.
    Off the top of my head
    - whatever your total budget, you simply can't just keep on accumlating watches, especially as your tastes inevitably move upmarket
    - it's also a symptom of when the reality of owning a watch may differ from the idea it
    - your tastes can kind of evolve (or in some cases go round in circles)
    - the more watches you have, the less some of them are worn, so they will fall out of favour
    - when you find another "grail", the most practical way to fund it is to sell/trade another watch

The overlying logic to me is that to have owned and experianced a particular watch for a while will largely satisfy the desire for that piece, if it enables my to move onto another watch that I really want and wouldn't otherwise be able to keep both.

The problem with watch sites, is that they tend to introduce "must-haves" that I wasn't previously aware of - fuelling this cycle.

Master
    Excellent summary RC, described me to a tee.

Master
    Serial flipper here as well. Since Jan 2011 I've bought 52 watches, sold 40 of them. Out of all those there's only one single watch I've bought twice because I've missed it. I have a few that are keepers, but most are flexible. I seem to go through a very definite cycle with some watches. Lust, purchase, receive, wear to death, back in the box, rotate occasionally then flip when I want something else and need the funds. Working well so far, I have 5 incoming right now!

Master
    I simply get bored of the watch or just have not worn it for simply ever. Which is about a year in my books. I have a love hate relationship with two watches currently and have brought and sold and traded 4-5 of each. This is the SS sub C and the Omega SMP, I get bored easily and flip and then see photos and feel something is missing and then think its not that good. So of she goes, the problem may be I have other very similar watches.

Master
    Interesting thread- and some very sensible answers.

It seems that there is not only a distinct behaviour pattern emerging, but that alot of us seem to follow it! Robcat has described it very well, I think.

I have 10 watches at the moment 2 are keepers (Omega f300 which was a 40th birthday present, and a BM that is my son's birth year watch and will go to him when he is older). The rest come and go according to my whims, usually when I get a bit bored with one and see a new shiny thing!

I do have a medium term plan to sell a whole bunch next year to raise enough to buy a secondhand Speedy auto: the question becomes, who stays behind?! The only other semi-keeper is my multi-band G-shock: as it's radio controlled and therefore super-accurate, I use it to set the autos when they've inevitably stopped!

Master
    Actually I could probably sell up for my Speedy now... but I'd have so few left....

Blog Entries
    In my time here I managed to fight the 'buy / flip' thing and have only sold a couple of homage watches which were only a try thing for a few quid and my biggest regret selling a mint 007 Tuna.

It would be easy for me to blow lots of money on what I want at the time, but I give myself a two day cool off on everything. If it is up after this time it is mine if not another will come along.

I have come close in the last few months of pressing the button on a lovely IWC, two PAM's and another Rolex which I have funds to do, but am strict with what I will buy I will keep as it is something I really do want.

Like most things in life the thrill is in the chase and that 'want', 'must have feeling'. How many times have we had this with cars, clothes, holidays, gadgets and of course WATCHES, only after a few weeks feeling we 'need' something else. It's a drug which ever way you look at it.

I often think how nice would it be to have un limited funds to do what you want and whenever, but my view is it would be a very boring and un for-filling life and those I know well who are pretty well heeled and surprisingly not that happy and at peace with themselves.

I think I went off at a tangent there............. Life according to pitch....

Have a good trim out of the collection, keep what you really do want and start again, but hey....... to each his own we are all very different.

Amen

Pitch

Grand Master
    Although I`m a dyed in the wool collector and I don`t even consider selling the majority of my watches, I`ve been in this position in the past. A few years ago I sold a few vintage Omegas......a decision I sometimes regret. As a fan of both gold and steel watches I ended up with both versions of the same watch. I sold a couple of gold-capped ones and kept the steel versions, which seemed logical for some reason. I also sold a steel Dynamic with a white dial, a move I`ve since regretted.

One of the biggest problems is the fear of regretting the sale with hindsight. Sometimes you only realise how much you liked them when they're gone. I had a mid-size steel Omega Aqua Terra which was in mint condition and I let it go, a decision I`ve always regretted. I`ve even considered selling my 16610 Sub because it's a lot of money tied up in a watch that doesn`t get much wear.......but I know I`d end up regretting it at some point.

There's no rule that says you're only allowed a set number of watches. Even if they only get worn 3-4 times/year they're still worth keeping if you like them. Sometimes I`ve ended up with 2 watches that are basically similar and I`ve sold one, but I`ve still ended up wishing I hadn`t.

One watch the OP should definitely NOT sell is the 18ct rose gold Omega Geneve I sold him last year after fully restoring it. Not a watch that most of us would wear on a regular basis, but a helluva nice piece to wear occasionally. Everyone should have at least one vintage gold dress watch, and they don`t come much better than this one.

Paul

Craftsman
    Everyone is different but I suppose it's how many of one type you have. I can't see myself having more than 2 Diver watches, or more than 2 or 3 dress watches. But then some watches when I get them I can't see myself selling them.

I suppose when you look at your collection, see a few that are similar and then think is it best letting one go, then pick the least worn / less special one.

I do think at some point down the line I'll just clear out 70-80% of my watches and switch to 2 or 3 specific ones when other things in life take priority.

But there is no specific formula to follow on what to sell. I think a good trick would be to take the one you are thinking of selling, put it in its box and out of sight and see if you miss it.

Don't want to be regretting a sale.

If I don't wear it, then I sell it. Unless I just need the money, in which case it's whichever I wear the least.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    If I don't wear it, then I sell it. Unless I just need the money, in which case it's whichever I wear the least.
    +1

Only have one keeper.. First Rolex bought new by me.
    The rest of my watches will be sold at some time. Right now I'm pretty happy with the ones I have but that will change and then it's probably the most expensive watch that I don't use that will have to leave. That way I have more to choose from when I want to buy something else :)

Master
    Sometimes, I do get attached to certain watches which sounds crazy even to me. It's a material object that's not even thrilling like a car, yet I don't want to let it go.

However, if it gets to several weeks or months and I haven't worn it, I generally start to think if there's a point to having money tied up in something that isn't being used.

Master
    No good asking me, I could kick myself for for a few that I have sold.

When Ive positively decided which one is definitely going 100%, I wear it for a few days, realise I just couldn't let it go and reassess the whole operation.

All the while , I'll be scouring SC for the next must have.

It's easy this whole watch collection lark.

I sell whatever get the least wrist time :-)

Being a serial flipper, my problem is that i usually long for a new watch, sell one of mine to raise the funds and end up most of the time regretting that i sold it for a couple of weeks before the pain slowly disappear (if ever).
    I would certainly buy back some my previous watches if i could...

Sell what you decide you don't want anymore - see, it's easy

Then stop buying on a whim and buy something you really want - job done.
    Gray

Craftsman
    I'm normally a hoarder rather than a flipper and I got my first Rolex (14060M) in March this year.

I would luv to get a brand new 114060 Sub but find it a difficult decision to try and sell my first Rolex to fund the 114060.

It also seems that to flip Rolex watches too quickly can be a very costly exercise. I'm rather disappointed with the offers i've been made on my 14060M Sub (advertised on another forum as I don't have enough posts to sell on SC here). Perhaps I'm expecting too much in such a short time.

Craftsman
    First of all, I try to buy "smart" = rare model, excellent condition (box+papers) and a classical model which will age well (try to avoid the "fashion effect"... not to be bored after few weeks/months). It also implies to be very patient and disciplined...

These tips prevent me from the "flipper" syndrom (in my opinion which is not very ideal to enjoy his passion... because it can imply financial losses, a lot of time and energy...).

It also allows me to keep the watches for few years (5 years is an interesting cycle). If the watch is rare = more difficult to be bored. If the watch is classical (AP, Patek...) = the "fashion effect" won't have any impact on me.

Last advice would be not to pay too much attention to what other people say. The only person who should influence your buy decision is yourself (and hopefully gf/fiancée/wife will like it as well). It's always interesting to read forums/articles, etc... But it should not influence you...

TO answer your question, when I have the feeling I had a nice "cycle" (i.e. few years) with a watch, it's time to sell (but I always sell after finding a replacement...).

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post

Eeeeexactly.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post

This is some of the best advice I've seen on here for people who want to slim down. Now I'm a wearer of watches and not a collector but I've still ended up with too many. Just been bought one that I never thought I could ever get near affording so consider myself very lucky indeed.

Now is the time to look at the rest (probably 4 keepers in my watch box) plus a beater for working around the house and yard and try and thin out the rest. The other secret is clearly not looking at SC but now I've got something very special which will work for most situations (apart from when the beater is used) then that should be easier. Even though the new one has not even arrived, I find i'm not even interested in 99% of SC (so let's hope that continues.)

Easy to decide what you dont need, just look at how frequently each is worn and then think very carefully about whether it's really a keeper.

To the OP, good luck and I'll be on a similar journey soon.

A

I only sell for one of two reasons - I need to or I want to.

If neither apply, keep it!

I've sold to release funds, I've sold because I've stopped wearing a watch and I've sold to pay for something else (often retrospectively!). I've never sold for the sake of it though, as you never know when you might change your mind or regret selling.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I sell because I'm a serial flipper with a conservative budget. I can't afford to own all the watches I want at one time so I flip to have a "rolling" collection.

I'm a "keeper" so I don't buy with a view to flip although like all of us try to buy "well" where I can. That said I only have one or two I am really attached to and so am trying to operate a one in one out policy to stop things getting to my mind out of hand (6). I simply choose those I don't wear much or that the new one does the same job as for those to get rid of.

Selling my Nomos has been really difficult as it's such a lovely little watch. It makes me smile whenever i pick it up. However, it just isn't me. I bought it on a bit of a whim and yes its great to look at, but just isn't getting worn as I generally only suit sports watches.

Journeyman
    Reasons to sell

Sell to replace it with a watch of similar use ie G shock to another upgraded G shock
    Sell due to lack of wrist time
    Sell due to disliking or unsuited - got an orange monster recently and I'm not feeling it ATM

Keeps - anything sentimental or something the misses insists mean something to you