closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega F300 slow....

Craftsman

Omega F300 slow....

Hi Guys
    just noticed my recently acquired Omega Constellation f300 is running a little slow..

Its probably losing just over a minute a day...

Being new to these types of watches, I was wondering whether this was likely to be a sign that the battery is on the way out, or is it more likely that something else is amiss.

Thanks for any advice received, I love the watch, but do get hung up about timekeeping.....

Not likely to be the battery IMO, more likely that it will need the index tension adjusted, and perhaps a service unless its been done recently.
    Worse case scenerio there is some wear to the indexng / drive train.

If the loss is consistent I would expect it to be the former

Journeyman
    I own several of these and the battery can be a problem. As these movements were designed with a different battery (mercury) and voltage, they are a bit more susceptible to weaker batteries. If you're just replaced it, it could be one of many problems. Unfortunately, parts are getting hard to find, much less watchmakers that understand them.

Given their age, I could call losing a minute a day acceptable. But that's me...

Cheers!

Craftsman
    Hmmm.I havent had it that long. It was keeping good time for the first few weeks and srems to have lost its way since i stopped wearing it.

perhaps its being a bit sensitive...

Master
    If you don't know the service history, I'd personally get it serviced. They can be very accurate if kept in good nick (and set up properly) and if it doesn't need parts, it doesn't have to be expensive.

There are a couple of people on here who know their hummers. I've never used Keith personally, but he's one of them...

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the advice guys, it really is appreciated.

I will monitor for the next week and see how it fares..

Next stop after that will probably send to someone to have a look...

Thanks again...

D

Quote Originally Posted by Miltime
    As these movements were designed with a different battery (mercury) and voltage, they are a bit more susceptible to weaker batteries.

This is not correct, the ESA range of tuning fork movements were designed with the future 1.55v cells in mind and will work perfectly well with either, not that you can would find a 1.35v mercury one these days.

The specific set up for these demand that the voltage tension is set for 3 specific values.
    1.05v, 1.35v and 1.65v, this, done via the retaining pawl adjustment( and maybe some manual adjustment of the index pawl) and ensures a properly set up watch will happily run on either.

K

Craftsman
    Qui k update. its pretty consistent at 1 minute a day. within about 5 secs....

ideas....

Craftsman

losing time

Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post
    Hmmm.I havent had it that long. It was keeping good time for the first few weeks and srems to have lost its way since i stopped wearing it.

perhaps its being a bit sensitive...
    Try wearing it again. The warmth of your body heat may warm up the internals and this may lead to less drag. Than when cold.

Just a thought

Journeyman
    Some were setup this way. You're quite right. I had forgotten that. However, I would say that not all ESA tuning fork-based movements had that ability. Then again, it could be what I've seen and not the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    This is not correct, the ESA range of tuning fork movements were designed with the future 1.55v cells in mind and will work perfectly well with either, not that you can would find a 1.35v mercury one these days.

The specific set up for these demand that the voltage tension is set for 3 specific values.
    1.05v, 1.35v and 1.65v, this, done via the retaining pawl adjustment( and maybe some manual adjustment of the index pawl) and ensures a properly set up watch will happily run on either.

K