closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your dogs

Here's Bella, our 18 month old chocolate lab.

Journeyman
    Our family dog Fergus.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bernouls; 2nd December 2013 at 04:21.

Journeyman
    Really enjoyable thread!

Journeyman
    Picking this little guy up on Thursday as a Christmas present for our son.

Master
    Harvey, just over a year old now

Craftsman
    Here's our rescue dog, Alfie. :)

Here's another of Nugget. Aren't dogs great!

Really touched by some of the tales (tails) here fellas..thanks for sharing !

Here's my four girls relaxing...
    Yellow Poppy (5) Big Jasmine (2) Old Mia (12) and Gizzmo between Jas' legs.

And me and the girls out doing what they love...(minus the cat !)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Really touched by some of the tales (tails) here fellas..thanks for sharing !

Here's my four girls relaxing...
    Yellow Poppy (5) Big Jasmine (2) Old Mia (12) and Gizzmo between Jas' legs.

And me and the girls out doing what they love...(minus the cat !)

Love the way the cat is snuggled up on the blanket with the dogs lol

Master
    Finally (how impossible is it to link to instagram photos ffs?):

Here's my youngest dog, Oskar:

Here He is, name's 'Patch':

More of an 'outdoors' animal really, made a helluvah mess of the Sofa....

Bella the wonderdog
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enzo our 9 week old Italian Spinone

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    We've got a couple of terriers - here they are just after we bought Mabel, Spike is guarding her quite jealously... This continued until she started to annoy him, about four minutes later

But how could you be annoyed by this?

Well, just let her wake you with a good solid bark at 6am, then you'll know...

Spike is a bit of a character and majors in amateur dramatics - here's his world-famous impression of a dog stepping on a land-mine

And this is their favourite seat - doesn't help with getting any work done, though...

You cannot beat a Jack. They won't let you! BTW saw the Ramones in 1978 - they were loud even for a 14 year old.

This was Bertie who died several years back. He loved rabbits, squirrels and children, thinking them all worthy of nibbling...

Work means that I cannot have a dog but it's my ambition is to make it to retirement and then get a dog.
    Luckily, a colleague brings in Summer who is a delight to look after.

Last edited by dkpw; 21st May 2019 at 18:15.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    Finally (how impossible is it to link to instagram photos ffs?):

Here's my youngest dog, Oskar:

Alfie says "Hello Oskar"

Master
    I like Alfie. :)

Since coming across them we have become very keen on the ginger ninjas. Can see us getting another!

Prob a girl though. The boys are bobbins. ;)

Craftsman
    I like Alfie. :)

Since coming across them we have become very keen on the ginger ninjas. Can see us getting another!

Prob a girl though. The boys are bobbins. ;)
    How old is Oskar? Alfie is 17 months now (pics taken when he was about a year old). He has calmed down a lot over the last few months and is becoming everyone`s favourite dog at the park - he wears out every dog he meets before moving onto the next one! We are thinking of getting another as well, but waiting until next year before final decision.

I thought I`d better post another pic of Alfie - typical ginger ninja pose!

Craftsman
    My Boxer Dylan as a Pup

10 years on. I love Boxers

Here is my 5 yr old ABD

Biggest submissive softy you'll come across

Last edited by thereaper101; 8th December 2013 at 18:18.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Craftsman
    This thread seems to be a little Spaniel heavy so ill add mine to the mix, meet Ole or the O-dogg.

He does have a resemblance to Snoop too.

Craftsman
    Experiencing water...

Doing what he does best...staring at the village idiot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    How old is Oskar? Alfie is 17 months now (pics taken when he was about a year old). He has calmed down a lot over the last few months and is becoming everyone`s favourite dog at the park - he wears out every dog he meets before moving onto the next one! We are thinking of getting another as well, but waiting until next year before final decision.
    Osk is 2yrs in a couple of weeks. He's fine really. Came from vizsla welfare (previous owners gave up on him, couldn't deal with him) - and has 'suspect' parentage :).

But aside from his 'enthusiasm', he's great. I can see why people who have not had dogs before struggle with gingers.

We're keeping up with his training and he's a lot better than he was - we got him at 14wks old.

I've 3 older (also rescues - not vizslas) - and as they start to pass on ( :( ) we'll look into sourcing another ginger whinger :)

Last edited by Tomw2000; 9th December 2013 at 11:37.

Master
    Osk is 2yrs in a couple of weeks. He's fine really. Came from vizsla welfare (previous owners gave up on him, couldn't deal with him) - and has 'suspect' parentage :).

But aside from his 'enthusiasm', he's great. I can see why people who have not had dogs before struggle with gingers.

We're keeping up with his training and he's a lot better than he was - we got him at 14wks old.

I've 3 older (also rescues - not vizslas) - and as they start to pass on ( :( ) we'll look into sourcing another ginger whinger :)

Vizslas sound similar to Boxers, in that, people like the look of them and think they will be a great dog to own. We used to foster boxers for a boxer rescue and initially it was a massive shock to receive a boxer that clearly was out of condition and had some appalling habits and obviously had been allowed to be 'top dog' in the family pecking order. Generally it would take a good 3-6 weeks to gradually get the foster dogs to adjust to living in a family unit where they weren't top dog and start to address any behavioural issues.

Boxers don't tend to fully mature until they are at least 2 years old and start to calm down between the ages of 2-5 years old.

What I always struggle to comprehend is that people will take on a large powerful dog and never walk it, they then wonder why it has terrible manners and can be destructive...... their tiny minds cannot comprehend that a lack of exercise means the dog is bored stupid!! All but one of the 13 foster dogs we had with us had little or no core strength and poor stamina, I used to love seeing them gradually get more and more strength, stamina and also becom very chilled in the house, they were too knackered to be destructive ;-)

Our newest addition, Splodge, arrived weighing 17kgs, she now weighs 27kgs and there is not an ounce of fat on her. She used to be afraid of the dark, wouldn't go out in the rain, hated the cold, wouldn't go in water and wee'd in the house. I'm happy to say that none of the above apply any longer, she loves her walks and rarley puts a foot wrong. She is also very loving and it really does make you question how anyone could keep her outside in the snow, rain and miserable UK winters, she was found wandering the streets of Manchester in a right state :-(

Thankfully she came to us as a foster dog and has never left :-)

Splodge is the one in the front -

I reckon she would have a good go at tiring out your Vizslas ;-) she is a 110% fruit loop.

Paul

Journeyman
    Same amazing dogs and stories on here!

Currently have a black lab (Tyson) and a beautiful little tortoise shell cat (Tiggy), I'll post some pics later once I'm home from work.

My first dog (pics to follow) was a stunning little Border Terrier named Spencer, a fantastic little dog that was tiny when we got him as a pup, very much full of character. Approx 6 months after getting him my brother got a golden lab and named him Jordan.

Spencer was a fantastic little dog, and very much 'mine'. One particular moment (at least 12 years ago) that will always stick out with me is the day he went missing, he was about 3 - 4 years at the time and had never done anything like this before. I live in the country so had many fields etc to check! I remember heading up the road and asking neighbours if they'd seen him, spending hours searching for him to finally come hom ea little broken wondering where he could have gone. Upon my arrival the wee bugger was found chasing a rabbit in the back field! No idea where he'd gonebut definitely very glad to have him back!

Spencer was very much an outside dog, spending most of his time in our run with Jordan and going for walks with me. He was full of character, but unfortunately had a bit of a temper and had a rather nasty growl, but this only happened if A) Jordan tried to steal his food and B) if you tried to lift him/crowded him.

In his last days he went downhill extremely quickly. One day he was his usual self, the next day, nothing but skin and bones. Testicular cancer had spread pretty much all over his body and in the end it was me that made that final trip to the vet with him, some 10 years after he was first walked into our living room as a birthday present for me, where he subsequently pee'd himself with nerves!

Strangely, within a matter of days, Jordan also had one final trip to the vets with a very similar problem, suffice to say a very sad time for the family.

Spencer is the first and last dog that I can say was definitely 'mine'! A wonderful dog and I would definitely get another, unfortunately, circumstances at the moment would make it difficult.

Master
    Interesting re boxers.

Vizslas are known for a very long 'puppyhood' - two years. And might not be fully grown until until 27/28 months.

We worked hard with Osk to not over-walk him for the first 18 months. Religiously stuck to 5 mins a day per month of age...this ensures that the growth occurs properly.

Vs that have been walked too much as pups tend be quite 'leggy'.

He gets plenty of walks now and for the last month or so has started running with me (off road at weekends). We've also a good sized garden for him to charge around.

In the case of intelligent breeds, it's not just walking though. 3hrs a day, every day, isn't necessary (or practical). Mental stimulation is just as important. A good solid 15-20 min training session will (in my experience) be as good as an hour walk. It was an HPR specific gundog trainer told me this.

I'm very fortunate in that a (now) very good friend has 7 (yes, seven) Vizslas, and she's been great re. advice on all aspects.

And I'm glad we already had the 3 dogs we already had. He's settled in well to the established routine at home.

Craftsman

Chilli 3 years

My new addition, Miniature Bull Terrier 3 months old in pictures taken last month ! He does have a tail, its just going 100mph in 2nd picture !

Journeyman
    Picked up the new pug on Thursday. We were worried about how he would get along with our 70lb one year old poodle/retriever mix. You can see that they're doing fine.

Baxter the Cockerpoo - kids have a lot of fun with him!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    My new addition, Miniature Bull Terrier 3 months old in pictures taken last month ! He does have a tail, its just going 100mph in 2nd picture !

Gorgeous looking dog Guz!! I bet he'll keep you busy in the coming months :-)

Paul

Craftsman
    Wow, some beautiful dogs here!

Thought I'd share my rabble!

Lucy our latest edition, she's nearly two now.

Sophie our Welsh Sheepdog (with a bit of something else!). Doing what she does best...rounding up a tennis ball!

And last, but by no means least..Olly who is "helping" me work!

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Gorgeous looking dog Guz!! I bet he'll keep you busy in the coming months :-)

Paul
    Cheers Paul,

I've started to reclaim my nights as he is now getting the toilet training into his head.

When I first brought him home I was up with him every 2-3 hours on toilet duty :-)

Craftsman
    We picked up little Reuben around 7 weeks ago and he is doing great (16 weeks at the moment). He is a Vizsla/Cocker spaniel cross and is looking like butter wouldn't melt (we all know that cute puppy look is impossible to ignore)

Last edited by diver527; 18th December 2013 at 16:09.

Craftsman
    Here is another from last night (after he had chewed the corner of my beloved coffee table - not happy!)

Blog Entries
    hi, heres our dog Ozzy, think hes a pug, terrier type thing, totally mental!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    We picked up little Reuben around 7 weeks ago and he is doing great (16 weeks at the moment). He is a Vizsla/Cocker spaniel cross and is looking like butter wouldn't melt (we all know that cute puppy look is impossible to ignore)
    Was the Vizsla/cocker cross planned or an 'accident'?

(he looks ace btw!).

Craftsman
    Was the Vizsla/cocker cross planned or an 'accident'?

(he looks ace btw!).
    Thanks, he is a handsome little thing.

The dog was purchased of a breeder who owned both parents. The parents were both working dogs and the litter was planned. I have only ever seen a couple of Vizsla cross litters and the majority have looked more like the other breed. This is the first litter I have seen where the Vizlsa genetics really dominate.

I have always loved the Vizsla breed, however I always thought they were slightly too large for our house and garden. Reuben should grow to slightly larger than a Cocker but has all the attributes of a Vizsla. He is the most perfect combination we could have asked for. I am glad we waited so long to find him as it is really important that he suits our lifestyle.

Master
    Cockers are bobbins. Good luck ;)

Craftsman

The dog was purchased of a breeder who owned both parents. The parents were both working dogs and the litter was planned. I have only ever seen a couple of Vizsla cross litters and the majority have looked more like the other breed. This is the first litter I have seen where the Vizlsa genetics really dominate.
    Total agree - what a handsome dog!

Any other puppies available? - I think a Vizsla / Cocker could be the perfect pal for our Alfie !

Almost can't look into this thread with so many fine dogs, I miss having a dog......

Craftsman
    He is a Vizsla/Cocker spaniel cross
    Is there a "breed name" for a vizsla / cocker - I can`t think what it may be

We have all heard of Labradoodles; less popular ones that come to mind are a "Bug" (Beagle / Pug) and "Cavapoo" (Cavalier / Poodle) and there is the "Bullshit" ...

This breed deserves a good name

Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    Is there a "breed name" for a vizsla / cocker - I can`t think what it may be

We have all heard of Labradoodles; less popular ones that come to mind are a "Bug" (Beagle / Pug) and "Cavapoo" (Cavalier / Poodle) and there is the "Bullshit" ...

This breed deserves a good name
    Ok I'll take the bait, it's a "little vocker"

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the comments guys.

I have heard a couple of breed names but he was called a Vizcock!

All the litter have now sold but if I hear of another planned litter new year I will let you all know!

Craftsman

All the litter have now sold but if I hear of another planned litter new year I will let you all know!
    Alfie says he wants one. Wife hasn`t seen pic of Reuben yet - but she will want one. If they both get what they want I might get a Railmaster!

Master
    I'd like a smaller Vizsla that has a shell and meows...so might cross one with a tortoise and a cat...

I have 3 older mixed breed dogs - all rescues, so I've nothing against 'mutts'. But I do worry a little about seeking out these more fashionable crossbreeds. You just don't know what you're gonna get. Especially with something like a Vizsla (or any HPR breed) who can be 'challenging' (depending on breeding) enough on their own anyway :)

There's a reason the guy who invented the 'labradoodle' eventually apologised...

Proceed with caution innit. I also suspect a 'regular' (proper...) Vizsla would be cheaper...

Reuben above looks ace and I am sure he'll be brill. Please do let us know how he gets on.

Craftsman
    I'd like a smaller Vizsla that has a shell and meows...so might cross one with a tortoise and a cat...

I have 3 older mixed breed dogs - all rescues, so I've nothing against 'mutts'. But I do worry a little about seeking out these more fashionable crossbreeds. You just don't know what you're gonna get. Especially with something like a Vizsla (or any HPR breed) who can be 'challenging' (depending on breeding) enough on their own anyway :)

There's a reason the guy who invented the 'labradoodle' eventually apologised...

Proceed with caution innit. I also suspect a 'regular' (proper...) Vizsla would be cheaper...

Reuben above looks ace and I am sure he'll be brill. Please do let us know how he gets on.
    I really do agree with your comments on the crossbreeding. Many Vizsla/Cocker enthusiasts would highly disapprove as would other pure breed enthusiasts.

In my own experience we spent some time with the owners and saw the parents on a couple of occasions and nothing seemed concerning. We have no real idea of his final temperament or size/weight but that is a risk you take with all dogs.

With regards to price he was around 50% less than a pedigree Vizsla, which to me does reflect the fact he is a cross. IMO the price of a dog is irrelevant (unless its ridiculous) but with Reuben I do think the price was spot on. Some crossbreeds are all about fashion and command much higher prices than the pure breeds and personally they are not for me.. but each to there own.

I will definitely let you know how he is getting on!

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Heres Peggy, who sadly hasnt been with us for many years now. She was adorable and missed by all that knew her.

and here she is with one of her daughters, Sasha, who we lost last but 1 christmas eve.

Harvey was my best mate. Ever. Again sadly no longer with us, he was Sashas litter brother and they were total soul mates.

We now have 2 more Rosie and Fred, when I get a couple of minutes I'll get a piccy of them as well,, yep they are Bull Terriers as well.

Stuart

My two play fighting.