closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Inherited old watch collection - help/guidance request

Inherited old watch collection - help/guidance request

Now I've been a member on here for more years that I care to remember and like to think that I have some knowledge of watches, however, I now really need the input of the TZ massive to help a friend.

This good friend of mine has recently inherited a collection of old watches from his deceased Father-in-law and has brought them to me (as someone with watch knowledge) to help decide what to do with them. Despite the curiosity and a little sentimental value his idea is to sell them to raise some money for the Mother-in-law who is old and in ill health.

To me the collection mainly seems to consist of military watches of varying ages. Not my particular field of expertise but I have hankered after one or two in the past so recognise them here. I've taken some pics of some of the more interesting ones which I'll post below. But I'm told there are more yet to be seem.

How should he go about getting these valued from a trustworthy source and similarly how should he sell them? Any comments, opinions, advice very much welcomed.

The condition of most of the watches is varied most working well but with a few looking quite worse for wear....the Tudor Sub particularly. Would it be worth doing anything about this one in particular? There are a few simple boxes but no paperwork at all.

Thanks all.

Inherited old watch collection - help/guidance request

There are some belters there, the Lemania (£2-3000?) and Newmark (£1750-2500?) chronographs, the Smiths (£4-5000?) immediately caught my eye.

CYMA and Lemania WWWs (£1000 - £1500) each? RAF Omega £1500-2000?

For the military watches, MWR is a way to find values and sell individual watches.

For ease, then I guess go to an auction, WoK or something like that?

Ps. These valuations were fairly cursory from my memory of what might be initially asked by someone selling on MWR. As someone has pointed out below, optimistic in that a dealer would offer less and less achievable at auction.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 11th April 2024 at 17:31.

The Smiths DeLuxe jumped out at me too, an absolute stunner. I agree Watches of Knightsbridge would be a great port of call with a view to both valuations and entering them into a future auction. I’m sure they would haggle on the sales commission.

Master
    That Smiths GS is a rare and lovely thing! If that checks out it’ll fetch a tidy sum for his widow.

Some other nice pieces there too, dirty dozen Cyma, Lemania, vintage Tudor Sub which is now very collectible, two very lovely Omegas, etc, etc… nice collection.
    Last edited by Neil.Ldn; 11th April 2024 at 14:52.

Master
    PS it would be nice to see more of the large black-dialled military piece in the middle. My guess is something modified for WW2 aircraft use. The folk on MWR would be interested.

Craftsman
    No, they're not worth anything, I'll take them off your hands.. Seriously, there's some good stuff there.

Sent from my SM-M336B using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Can`t comment on the military stuff but I may be interested in the Omega. PM with some details if interested, I`m guessing it's an automatic but can`t be certain from the pics.

Lovely collection. The general tone suggests the middle Omega in the 2nd picture should be checked to see if it has CS(i) written in the caseback which may make it slightly more interesting. It also wouldn't surprise me if the half hunter on the right of the 3rd photo might have either W&D or RWC in the caseback which would indicate it is a Rolex - likewise the left hand one in the 4th photo.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

What an interesting collection.
    Nothing to add, it’s been said above but i do think she may struggle to teach the estimates above.
    Always good to have a starting point though.

The monopusher Lemania is very nice. Seems someone had a keen eye.

Master
    If he knows NOTHING about watches, get them to Fellows auction house in Birmingham. Prices still go daft there - I can't remember the last time I picked anything up at what I consider under value. The seller fees are pretty high but they will describe the watches correctly, present them beautifully and get top dollar for them.

None of those are money to retire on, but combined your friend has really nice lump of cash coming in.

My fave is the square Omega Dynamic. Not the most valuable, maybe 500 quid, but its a watch you just don't see very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    PS it would be nice to see more of the large black-dialled military piece in the middle. My guess is something modified for WW2 aircraft use. The folk on MWR would be interested.
    It’s a cased up Zeiss-Ikon MBK1000 Clock from a German WW2 gun camera. Modified Valjoux 22 inside. The majority of these have been converted into wristwatches like this. Valuation is hard. Maybe £800-1000, but a very very small market.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    There are some belters there, the Lemania (£2-3000?) and Newmark (£1750-2500?) chronographs, the Smiths (£4-5000?) immediately caught my eye.

CYMA and Lemania WWWs (£1000 - £1500) each? RAF Omega £1500-2000?

For the military watches, MWR is a way to find values and sell individual watches.

For ease, then I guess go to an auction, WoK or something like that?

Ps. These valuations were fairly cursory from my memory of what might be initially asked by someone selling on MWR. As someone has pointed out below, optimistic in that a dealer would offer less and less achievable at auction.
    Lemania WWW prices are flying high at moment, like the Eterna. I reckon it’s should be closer to £2k as the condition is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    It’s a cased up Zeiss-Ikon MBK1000 Clock from a German WW2 gun camera. Modified Valjoux 22 inside. The majority of these have been converted into wristwatches like this. Valuation is hard. Maybe £800-1000, but a very very small market.
    Here a pic…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Nice, thanks. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    What an interesting collection.
    Nothing to add, it’s been said above but i do think she may struggle to teach the estimates above.
    Always good to have a starting point though.
    I agree it’d be a struggle to achieve some of these results via an auction house (i.e. with the consignor only getting around 2/3 of what the buyer ultimately pays). However, the military stuff has fairly consitent market values and it should be easy to get these estimates in private sales. UK buyers will be easy to find too. The only one I’d be cautious about is the Smiths GS deluxe. These don’t turn up very often, and I wouldn’t like to hazard a guess what one would reach in an open auction. It’s the one that has the most potential to fly past what might be expected.

Master
    I agree it’d be a struggle to achieve some of these results via an auction house (i.e. with the consignor only getting around 2/3 of what the buyer ultimately pays). However, the military stuff has fairly consitent market values and it should be easy to get these estimates in private sales. UK buyers will be easy to find too. The only one I’d be cautious about is the Smiths GS deluxe. These don’t turn up very often, and I wouldn’t like to hazard a guess what one would reach in an open auction. It’s the one that has the most potential to fly past what might be expected.

Hard to tell obviously but worth pointing out that the GS looks to be in fabulous condition…

Master
    Was a valuable collection like that not valued for probate purposes?

I had the 1961 Australian Smiths GS and that was around the £4.5k mark a few years back, I’m guessing this one is mid 50’s and I agree it looks in superb condition. £5k to £8k hammer price easily with military dealers asking over £10k retail if they got their hands on it.

As with all things military the case backs are as important as the fronts and we haven’t seen those. Selling individually would be slow unless you had a good dealer who would do it on commission. Clearing the collection quickly to the right audience would be the like of WoK.

Here's a nice write up of the Square Geneve 166.081

https://stories.omegaforums.net/guid...6-145-cal-565/

Master
    Lovely !!! I'd be interested in the Newmark Chrono to complete my Fab Four set.

maseman

A quick eBay / Chronos24 search would suggest around £4K - £5K for the Lemania monopusher.