closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 85 of 91 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,250 of 4549

Thread: Show us your dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    This is Benjamin, rescue dog who we went to see on the 18th December and circumstances meant he came home with us that day!He was 4months old so now 5/6months. Billy (Jack Russell) and him are now good buddies. He has no regard for anyone or anythings space or his own self preservation. Nutter, but has settled in really really well and can now go off the lead at beach and park. He is very funny and cool.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Two really good looking dogs.
    Last edited by jools; 24th January 2023 at 11:07.

Blog Entries
    “I am a Rottweiler, I don’t carry small sticks!”

Beagles.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Beagles.

Superb photo. Definitely doing what they do best (after causing trouble that is). Great dogs!!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    Superb photo. Definitely doing what they do best (after causing trouble that is). Great dogs!!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    My two often get compliments from folk when out walking, if only they knew....

One admirer who must of had one at some point summed ownership up perfectly i thought - `you don`t train beagles, you just learn to live with them`!

Another passer-by just this Sunday observed: `you can tell who the beagle owners are in a field - they`re the ones holding a lead but with no dog on the end`...

Have you had beagle experience?

Well, my kids and I are off to the Dog's Trust tomorrow to have a second meeting with Pearl. I'll confess - I've kind of fallen in love with her. I'm a bit excited at being able to contribute to the thread. Now, what can I do to make my cat love a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Have you had beagle experience?
    Sure do. Was greatly loved and sadly missed and not to be replaced (at this stage of life anyway).

I always describe them as the most cat like dog around. While they have plenty of dog characteristics they have a unique ability to give you that cat like look of contempt and ignore you completely.

Totally understand the living with them comment. Ours was "trained" it was just a matter of if that was what she wanted to do at the time or there was food involved.

For anyone considering a beagle this clip is worth a watch. Wish I'd known about this before getting ours.... https://youtu.be/VnBjQDeZPag

Give yours an ear rub from me.

Dragging half a tree home with her , the male yellow lab is hanging about in the background having a laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evie says you don't need to be a big dog to carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post

For anyone considering a beagle this clip is worth a watch. Wish I'd known about this before getting ours.... https://youtu.be/VnBjQDeZPag

Give yours an ear rub from me.
    Haha, yep - their escapology skills are legendary and second only to searching out something to eat, whether edible or not…

Blog Entries
    I am always amazed how (new) dog owners are unable to recognize behaviour.

About a half hour ago, someone with a 14 week old German shepard walks on the sandy trail next to my terrain. Like some many people do: walking, mountain biking etc. My Rottweiler was (is) outside like he always is when I'm working in a patch of the woods. And he started barking. Which he's supposed to do. He guards the grounds and it's a warning not to come in unvisited. For that, we've invested by putting up endless yards of dog-proof fences and two heavy gates. I looked up, managed to see a guy who lives close-by with a German Shepard pup on a leach. The pup was barking like mad. I told my dog to be quiet - which he did and together we went up to the gate to 'meet' the new dog. I was hoping that the meeting would be beneficiary to the new dog-owner and myself. We did this with people riding horses on the trail as well. And when the 'regular' horses are on the trail, Elvis is observing them. But he's quiet. As he has learned to do. First step for the this 'meet and greet' was to stay behind the gate. I'm glad we did.

Within seconds, the pup leashed out to my dog, barking and growling. The owner didn't correct the dog's behaviour. And seconds later, the pup did it again. For the first time in two years, I heard Elvis responding with a growl that was clearly, clearly a warning. I sent my dog to sit behind me and not with his head outside the gate. And there was a third time: the pup made another attempt to start a quarrel. Must say that I'm very lucky (and proud...) that my dog is properly under control.

I told the guy: "You should address this behaviour asap. Your pup is 'boxing above his weight' and he's surely never corrected. When my 50+ kilo Rottweiler starts correcting him, things get ugly and bloody!" The owner responded with: "I think it's only playful behaviour." I did a final attempt: "My dog thinks differently. Elvis never lets out a warning growl like this! Never! Just tell your puppy trainer what happened!" He: "I don't believe in puppy training; I do this myself."

I needed a desk for some serious head-banging. And I need to pay attention that my 'ferocious Rottweiler'(...) doesn't end up in a fight with a young German Shepard.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I am always amazed how (new) dog owners are unable to recognize behaviour.

About a half hour ago, someone with a 14 week old German shepard walks on the sandy trail next to my terrain. Like some many people do: walking, mountain biking etc. My Rottweiler was (is) outside like he always is when I'm working in a patch of the woods. And he started barking. Which he's supposed to do. He guards the grounds and it's a warning not to come in unvisited. For that, we've invested by putting up endless yards of dog-proof fences and two heavy gates. I looked up, managed to see a guy who lives close-by with a German Shepard pup on a leach. The pup was barking like mad. I told my dog to be quiet - which he did and together we went up to the gate to 'meet' the new dog. I was hoping that the meeting would be beneficiary to the new dog-owner and myself. We did this with people riding horses on the trail as well. And when the 'regular' horses are on the trail, Elvis is observing them. But he's quiet. As he has learned to do. First step for the this 'meet and greet' was to stay behind the gate. I'm glad we did.

Within seconds, the pup leashed out to my dog, barking and growling. The owner didn't correct the dog's behaviour. And seconds later, the pup did it again. For the first time in two years, I heard Elvis responding with a growl that was clearly, clearly a warning. I sent my dog to sit behind me and not with his head outside the gate. And there was a third time: the pup made another attempt to start a quarrel. Must say that I'm very lucky (and proud...) that my dog is properly under control.

I told the guy: "You should address this behaviour asap. Your pup is 'boxing above his weight' and he's surely never corrected. When my 50+ kilo Rottweiler starts correcting him, things get ugly and bloody!" The owner responded with: "I think it's only playful behaviour." I did a final attempt: "My dog thinks differently. Elvis never lets out a warning growl like this! Never! Just tell your puppy trainer what happened!" He: "I don't believe in puppy training; I do this myself."

I needed a desk for some serious head-banging. And I need to pay attention that my 'ferocious Rottweiler'(...) doesn't end up in a fight with a young German Shepard.
    This is extremely worrying on several levels.
    a 14 weeks old GS is still a puppy. The friendly behaviour displayed by Elvis is normal: male dogs are not in charge of puppy's education, so they usually move away from the youngster if he is troublesome; But in this case he is conflicted because he is also doing his job, which is to defend your (his) home and possibly yourself.
    What is not normal is the aggressive behaviour displayed by the puppy. I personally would report the incident to the police because the situation will get worse and it will be the dog that will suffer.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Bertie our old Jack Russell could run rings round my mum and dad, as despite me telling her to get him trained when I got him for her, she was "too busy." No she wasn't! So for the next 17 years, he was in charge of their house. I was the only one able to control him, when during occasional visits, I made it clear to him who was in charge and that it wasn't him. Lead control, use of tone of voice and walking to heel was all possible comparatively easily, as Jacks are highly intelligent and want to please.

A friend had a short-haired German pointer, which used to rush up to people and stand in front of them, barking loudly. Once on the beach, Bran did this to some passer-by who was clearly and genuinely terrified. I shouted at him to come back, which he didn't because he hadn't been trained. He had been trained to point, to sit, to retrieve game and toys but not to return and not run around barking at people. She told the terrified and now angry chap; "Don't worry, he doesn't bite." He let her have it verbally at least and I can't blame him at all. On the way over to "save" the walker, I was told very calmly and patronisingly; "David we don't shout at Bran." Well that's alright then....

"Problem" dogs = problem owners!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    This is extremely worrying on several levels.
    a 14 weeks old GS is still a puppy. The friendly behaviour displayed by Elvis is normal: male dogs are not in charge of puppy's education, so they usually move away from the youngster if he is troublesome; But in this case he is conflicted because he is also doing his job, which is to defend your (his) home and possibly yourself.
    What is not normal is the aggressive behaviour displayed by the puppy. I personally would report the incident to the police because the situation will get worse and it will be the dog that will suffer.
    I asked around and other 'seasoned' Shepard owners |(husband and wife) know exactly what I was referring to. Their first comment: 'Is it a dog with a certified pedigree?' Legal and conscious breeders try to get litters from dogs that are friendly etc. I have no idea if the pup is bought from a good breeder/litter. I would not be surprised when the question I was asked by the seasoned owners is a very valid one!

Every now and then, I take my dog to a 'dog hotel' nearby. Simply to give him a chance to play with other dogs, supervised by a few professional dog trainers. He loves going there and they always tell me that he's very good under control. But they also tell me that the number of dogs he can play with is limited. A female boxer and a female ridgebacks are his best playmates. The trainers told me: "Lots of dogs are not so friendly. We think that these are bought during Covid and didn't have proper puppy training. That was prohibited then. Often people made it a DIY project. These dogs are not well socialized and lack proper 'dog manners'." Same as what happened here with the GS: DIY training will be enough...

Shouting at dogs... Rottweilers have a tendency to act like: 'Yesterday's rules do not apply today. Unless I'm told otherwise. Or... when the rule is in my advantage!' Like the sort of the pupils I had in my Special Education classrooms for years and years ;-) And I did like that attitude of my pupils so I don't mind treating my dog the same.

I try to talk as calmly as possible for that situation. But in some cases, you need to be very clear. We stumbled upon a herd of deer. 6 of them. Elvis went berzerk! 6 deer less than 30m in front of them. And they started running as well. Instinct took over and apart from the basics, he's not a hunting dog. So he hasn't learned to act accordingly. He wanted to chase! He was on a leash and I needed all my persuasion to keep him under control. He pulled the leash but stayed next to me when I called him back. But that was for him - and for me, I admit, a difficult 10 secs. In hindsight, I made more noise that normally. Mainly because I hadn't expected the encounter, I suppose. Raising your voice helps to get things clear. Especially when you normally do not raise your voice.

With this pup, I now know that I need to be careful. I will not take the risk of an encounter. Knowing that the GS is a male pup, things can become interesting.
    Last edited by thieuster; 26th January 2023 at 19:31.

Show us your dogs

It is 100% not the dog or the breed but the owner. Where I live it is all the smaller dogs that show that type of behaviour but it is ok as they are small apparently. I have had a border hanging off the back of Stan and apparently it was just playing.

I agree some people are idiots and it is not just new dog owners. Clearly you understand the importance on consistent training with Elvis, other people do not care the same.

My shepherd is an absolute savage.

Last edited by Gavbaz; 26th January 2023 at 20:58.

Blog Entries
    The pic of your daughter (I presume) with your GS in the back of the car. A winning picture. Happiness all over!

Craftsman
    Fortunately our 2 just look at barking, lunging types as if they are daft. Always down to upbringing and the owners.

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Master
    Honey and Ozzy enjoying the cold weather...

Master

Eli.

God, this is hard.

I have 2 totally amazing dogs who are my world as they are with me 24/7. I love them both to bits.

But today my gorgeous Fox Red Labrador Buddy was just not right at all in himself. He’s 10 but a complete live wire who ignites everyone he meets. But he was so slow and lethargic today that I took him to my vet as I was so worried about him.

He’s now been diagnosed with a large vascular mass near his bladder and I’ve had to take him to a referral centre near us for care and maintenance this weekend before a CT scan on Monday. I’m scared beyond my wits and can’t help but think of the worst here and what might happen to my darling boy.

If you have a dearly loved pet give them a hug this weekend for the absolute unconditional love they give us all.

Our thoughts and prayers to you and Buddy, Gareth.

Master
    Gareth, thinking of you and Buddy. It’s the most difficult part of opening up our hearts and homes to them. Really hope everything will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Our thoughts and prayers to you and Buddy, Gareth.
    Thank you John.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Gareth, thinking of you and Buddy. It’s the most difficult part of opening up our hearts and homes to them. Really hope everything will be ok.
    So true. It’s beyond painful but every moment is always worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    God, this is hard.

I have 2 totally amazing dogs who are my world as they are with me 24/7. I love them both to bits.

But today my gorgeous Fox Red Labrador Buddy was just not right at all in himself. He’s 10 but a complete live wire who ignites everyone he meets. But he was so slow and lethargic today that I took him to my vet as I was so worried about him.

He’s now been diagnosed with a large vascular mass near his bladder and I’ve had to take him to a referral centre near us for care and maintenance this weekend before a CT scan on Monday. I’m scared beyond my wits and can’t help but think of the worst here and what might happen to my darling boy.

If you have a dearly loved pet give them a hug this weekend for the absolute unconditional love they give us all.
    Sending pats and cuddles to Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Sending pats and cuddles to Buddy
    Thanks Ryan.

Here are our 5. Two show cockers, one worker, one cockalier (cavalier/Cocker cross) and our German Shepherd cross from Greece. Always loud in our house..

Reading Walter's pst about his adoption of a rescue from DogsTrust prompted me to post these pics.

We lost Henry the Bullmastiff almost three years ago, and he left a huge void in all of our lives.
    Henry was a rescue, and the most loyal friend we could have asked for.

We spotted Henry and Bronte as a pair of Lab/Collie cross dogs who needed to be rehomed after the death of their elderly owner.

The gotcha was that they needed to be rehomed as a pair, as they are inseparable after a life together.
    The pair are somewhere between 11 - 13 years old, as mongrels they don't have papers.

They are a lovely old couple, usually sedate but can still chase a pigeon inn the garden !

It is a joy to give two old dogs a happy home for as long as they have.

They have fitted in well with our Italian Spinone and elderly American cocker, we hope to have an Old English Mastiff puppy later this year to rebalance the age profile
    Last edited by W124; 9th February 2023 at 13:47.

Well done for adopting such an old pair, and for giving them a great twilight!

Pearl has settled in well, and is A Good Dog. She's sleeping well, but is a bit anxious leaving the house - she is always happier when she know she's walking home! I think I've adopted the only dog in the world who doesn't like walkies!

She's just happy to be here, I think!

Blog Entries
    Wonderful!

Our dog is a few days in ‘Dog’s Disney World’: the local day care. We always use the same address. A dog day care (hotel…) with a very large playground. The owners are really careful about ‘who’s playing with who’. My Rottweiler is not a playmate for all sizes… but a female boxer is his best girlfriend. And she’s built like a tank. Always useful with a 50 kilo Rottie next to you.

He’s super-excited when I bring him. I will pick him up on Friday afternoon. What will happen. He gets in the back of the car, keels over on his side. Once home, I need to convince him to get out of the car. He does, eats and goes to sleep until I wake him for the evening walkies… that goes on for 12 - 18 hrs. He’s knackered every time he’s back from the day care.

I love that place. And for 12 euros/day not a bad deal. I’ve heard about insane prices.

Our little diva

Latest pic of Teddy @ 5 months and 10.1kg

2023-02-09_10-18-51 by mcridland, on Flickr

Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Well done for adopting such an old pair, and for giving them a great twilight!

Pearl has settled in well, and is A Good Dog. She's sleeping well, but is a bit anxious leaving the house - she is always happier when she know she's walking home! I think I've adopted the only dog in the world who doesn't like walkies!

She's just happy to be here, I think!

She looks priceless! A lovely pink princess.

Pippa love’s nothing better than snuggling up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Vinnie has been with me for nearly a month now.
    He's doing great and has really come out of his shell.

Chelsea is just a bit of a tart!

Blog Entries
    ‘Can I come with you when you take the Saab jig to a home-restorer?’

Well he cannot. Not everybody likes a full-grown Rottweiler close-by…

Incredibly pleased to say that after a somewhat fraught 3 weeks that Buddy is now back home and recovering after his CT scans and subsequent operation last week.

The long and short of it was that he needed to have that operation to remove 15 masses inside him that on the initial 2-3 scans presented as cancerous tumours. Thankfully (thus far) the news is much better as the subsequent CT scans revealed he had a very, very rare condition called Splenosis. He had his spleen removed in an emergency operation in October 2020 due to a heamatoma and since then some fragments of the damaged spleen had grown inside him to the point 3 weeks ago today I knew he was really in some discomfort and I had to rush him to my local vet. From there we were referred to "Aura" in Guildford (ex Fitzpatricks of "Super Vet" fame) who took fantastic care of him in the time he spent there over 3 visits and the lead vet who performed the operation (picture below after the operation last Wednesday) did a remarkable job to remove all of the 15 growths that weighed just over 1kg in weight. He even removed a small one near Buddy's heart even though a colleague had said before that one would not be possible to remove given it's location.......but he did get it/all of them out and we're just waiting for the final "All clear" from pathology.

Sorry to waffle on but my relief that he is (hopefully) going to be ok and is back home is something I am thanksful for every day.

I'd like to make special mention to thank "John Wall" of this fine forum. John didn't know me at all before all of this but as a fellow owner of a lovely Fox Red Labrador (well, a few actually...) he reached out to send me a number of incredibly kind and thoughtful PM's over the past 3 weeks.

Thank you John, you are a gentleman!

(P.S. If you have pet insurance please make sure it's bloody good as mine wasn't and it's my own fault.....!!)
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 17th February 2023 at 17:47. Reason: typo

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ahh that is FANTASTIC news Gareth.
    Wishing Buddy a speedy recovery x

No thanks needed Gareth.
    We all send our love and licks

Great news Gareth, give him a cuddle from me.
    Andy

Blog Entries
    Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Great news!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Great news Gareth, give him a cuddle from me.
    Andy
    Much appreciated Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Ahh that is FANTASTIC news Gareth.
    Wishing Buddy a speedy recovery x
    That’s really kind of you Celia, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    No thanks needed Gareth.
    We all send our love and licks
    All the best to you and your wonderful dogs too John. Thanks so much 🍻

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    What a good-looking boy he is!

For those that may be interested in a fairly poor (and infrequently updated) doggie-based instagram account, tess.the.staffador is the handle for our little girl.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    For those that may be interested in a fairly poor (and infrequently updated) doggie-based instagram account, tess.the.staffador is the handle for our little girl.

Dave
    I had a look. That's nice! I'll come back from time to time.

Menno

Show us your dogs

photobombed

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love her ^

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Vinnie has been with me for nearly a month now.
    He's doing great and has really come out of his shell.
    Cute! Does he do a good line in used/new/never-to-appear iPhones?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Chelsea is just a bit of a tart!
    Hard to tell if pooch is a friend or (as yet) unsuspecting victim !

Incredibly pleased to say that after a somewhat fraught 3 weeks that Buddy is now back home and recovering after his CT scans and subsequent operation last week.
    Great news !! I'll tell my eldest (as a newly-qualified vet, I'm sure she'll be interested.]

... and the lead vet who performed the operation (picture below after the operation last Wednesday) ..

I had to mention it - the vet and Buddy share a great likeness.